http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 03:27:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gamestop is Making Money  (Read 3250 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2011, 04:33:58 AM »

What does it really matter? If I buy a game, play it and put it on the shelf then the company that made it gets no more money from me. Same thing happens if I buy a game, play it, then sell it to my friend. Trading it in to GS is no different. The company got the money they wanted for the game and that's that.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2011, 04:34:57 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 26, 2011, 04:13:40 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 25, 2011, 06:29:47 PM

I'm kinda bummed it seems the staff at my closest one seems to be changing over.  the new people aren't all that great.

Same here.  I used to actually enjoy going into Gamestop because the people were cool, friendly, and helpful.  The new crew, however, will either completely ignore you or constantly barrage you with upsell, pre-order, and other nonsense.  I still shop there on occasion, but try to spend as little time as possible doing so because the customer experience is so awful.

yeah, the old crw knew not to waste their or my time with the upsell and pre-orders because they knew that I knew what I wanted.  now it's always 'no, I don't want anything else right now'.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2011, 04:50:53 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on March 26, 2011, 03:23:34 AM

Gamestop does sell DLC cards now, actually.  I've seen them in big box stores, too.

I know, but I'm suggesting they could be a more prominent part of the process...they could be sold as add-ons, and in so doing, make more money for the stores, publishers, developers etc. and providing a service for customers.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2011, 05:20:53 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on March 26, 2011, 04:50:53 AM

Quote from: pr0ner on March 26, 2011, 03:23:34 AM

Gamestop does sell DLC cards now, actually.  I've seen them in big box stores, too.

I know, but I'm suggesting they could be a more prominent part of the process...they could be sold as add-ons, and in so doing, make more money for the stores, publishers, developers etc. and providing a service for customers.

Yes, because the incessant barrage of up-sell for hint guides and warranties and "don't you want a used copy for $5 cheaper" and whatever else really isn't annoying enough at the register. 

Also, why would I give Gamestop even part of the money for DLC when I could give it directly to the publisher and developer?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2011, 12:44:42 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on March 26, 2011, 04:33:58 AM

What does it really matter? If I buy a game, play it and put it on the shelf then the company that made it gets no more money from me. Same thing happens if I buy a game, play it, then sell it to my friend. Trading it in to GS is no different. The company got the money they wanted for the game and that's that.

Um what? What about the person who goes into Gamestop and buys your copy for $5 less than new? Think that $5 would have prevented them from buying the game?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2011, 01:12:58 PM »

That copy you pass on to a friend or gamestop is a -1 for their overall sales.  They don't make any more money off your copy and that's the point: they lost a sale when your copy gets purchased again.

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2011, 01:13:38 PM »

The last time I purchased anything in a Gamestop was when my 360 died right after Modern Warfare 2 came out. The girlfriend was going out with friends that night, and I was looking forward to a long night of multiplayer (this was before I decided that I didn't like the multiplayer). There was a Play n Trade and a Gamestop a block away from my apartment, so I went to both stores and eventually bought a used console from Gamestop. And it wasn't exactly a good experience.

The Gamestop had a Microsoft refurbished Pro unit for $199, or just a system with cables and a wireless controller for $139. I opted for the $139 console, because I can't afford the $199 price, or else I would just buy a new arcade unit. The first box they brought out was the Halo edition console, which was uglier than sin (sorry if you have one). I asked if they had any newer units and the next one they brought out was built in 2009! I asked if I could bring in my old bricked console, and they said they would take it for around $30. So, for about $100, I could get a "new" console (out of warranty though) and be able to play MW2 tonight.

I rush home, plug the new unit in, format the hard drive just in case, and try to recover my gamertag. One problem though, the damn thing wouldn't connect to Xbox Live. I check all the wires and try again, and this time the test finished, and came up with an interesting message. It seems that whoever had the console before me did something bad, and the console was banned from Xbox Live...well fuck.

That's not why I don't shop at Gamestop, I just don't trade in my games and don't see the value in buying used. I would rather spend the extra $5 and make sure that the money is going to the people that are making the game. I am seriously considering finally getting myself a PS3 though, and if I do I'll probably buy used from Gamestop.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2011, 01:19:24 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 26, 2011, 12:44:42 PM

Um what? What about the person who goes into Gamestop and buys your copy for $5 less than new? Think that $5 would have prevented them from buying the game?
That $5 less might encourage them to buy new now when they will have to pay $10 additional for the online key.

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2011, 04:05:29 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 26, 2011, 05:20:53 AM

Yes, because the incessant barrage of up-sell for hint guides and warranties and "don't you want a used copy for $5 cheaper" and whatever else really isn't annoying enough at the register. 

Also, why would I give Gamestop even part of the money for DLC when I could give it directly to the publisher and developer?

First off, in an ideal situation, you'd be discussing new/used, hint guides, etc before you got to the register, but that's besides the point.

Second, you wouldn't have to. This would be a way to expose more people to the availability of DLC for diff titles. If you want to buy it at home that's fine. It would also make it easier for people that don't have or want to give their CC to Microsoft, and there are more of those folks than you might think.

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2011, 06:45:43 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 25, 2011, 01:42:30 AM

for as much hate as they seem to get it hasn't stopped them from having a record year in 2010.   their overhead is insane though (or maybe it's not overhead but some other term), because after making $9.47 billion in sales they only have a net profit of $408 million (which was yet another record for them).

Pretty commmon sales vs profit for a company that operates brick n morter locations. Its expensive to run physical locations.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2011, 07:16:17 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 25, 2011, 01:59:38 PM

Are we not calling them Gamestopo anymore?

And to answer the question of "What's wrong with shopping at Gamestop?', personally, I don't agree with the amount that they offer on trade-ins vs. what they turn around and charge for those games when they're put back on the shelf. The hard sell they've used in the past on used games has also made shopping there an uncomfortable experience for me. I do pretty much all my new game purchases via Amazon now, where in most cases I can get release day shipping for 99 cents (with Prime). The rest I get via Goozex, which is a much better value for used games, albeit lacking in instant satisfaction.

You should look into amazon.  I recently traded cod black ops for $39....  I paid $45 when i first bought it

Gamestop rips you off and offers you no value at all.  I've had better success at Amazon, Ebay and here.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 08:05:01 PM by naednek » Logged
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2011, 10:36:19 PM »

Quote from: naednek on March 26, 2011, 07:16:17 PM

Quote from: Teggy on March 25, 2011, 01:59:38 PM

Are we not calling them Gamestopo anymore?

And to answer the question of "What's wrong with shopping at Gamestop?', personally, I don't agree with the amount that they offer on trade-ins vs. what they turn around and charge for those games when they're put back on the shelf. The hard sell they've used in the past on used games has also made shopping there an uncomfortable experience for me. I do pretty much all my new game purchases via Amazon now, where in most cases I can get release day shipping for 99 cents (with Prime). The rest I get via Goozex, which is a much better value for used games, albeit lacking in instant satisfaction.

You should look into amazon.  I recently traded cod black ops for $39....  I paid $45 when i first bought it

Gamestop rips you off and offers you no value at all.  I've had better success at Amazon, Ebay and here.

+39. Did the same exact thing.  Only reason I go to GS anymore is to renew my discount card so I can get the game informer sub.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2011, 05:55:28 AM »

When a song gets played on the radio, there are royalties due.

I sometimes buy used games and I'm not condemning GS for being in business. I only answered the "what's wrong" question.

The only thing about online keys (bulletstorm) is the tie-in to a single account. they should allow folks at the time of registration decide how many people are on the console(s) in their home.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2011, 03:29:51 PM »

I don't shop at Gamestop due to their game-gutting procedure.  I prefer to buy new games that are still sealed.  Maybe they keep plenty of sealed copies of their DS games behind the counter, but I haven't bothered to check.  And I walk right by a Gamestop once or twice a week.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2011, 06:13:46 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on March 27, 2011, 03:29:51 PM

I don't shop at Gamestop due to their game-gutting procedure.  I prefer to buy new games that are still sealed.  Maybe they keep plenty of sealed copies of their DS games behind the counter, but I haven't bothered to check.  And I walk right by a Gamestop once or twice a week.

Yep, that wrapping of plastic around the game case really makes a difference when you go to play it.  I will seriously never understand this complaint and you will never understand that fact that it makes no difference in the world.  You could actually look at it as a service...it's pre-unwrapped, saving you time and energy so that you can play quicker.  They should charge you for that. slywink

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2011, 06:22:22 PM »

the only thing they usually don't have unopened is PC games (the occasional big title like Starcraft 2 will be the exception).  Unless you're getting the absolute last copy of a console/handheld game they should have it behind the counter or in the back.

Because I can,
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2011, 06:31:03 PM »

While I personally don't equate an unsealed copy as "used" as some people do, I absolutely respect Freezer's opinion. If he wants a sealed copy for his money, I've got no problem with that. CeeKay is correct, that there should be sealed copies unless the ones on the wall are the last ones (and there may be a bunch of opened ones for a big title like CoD. Keep in mind the reason for this is for display/marketing purposes. GS doesn't want to have to gut games, because it's a lot more work for them too, but the publishers don't consistently provide artwork to put on the wall (which would raise their costs).

Quote from: The Grue on March 27, 2011, 06:13:46 PM

Yep, that wrapping of plastic around the game case really makes a difference when you go to play it.  I will seriously never understand this complaint and you will never understand that fact that it makes no difference in the world.  You could actually look at it as a service...it's pre-unwrapped, saving you time and energy so that you can play quicker.  They should charge you for that. slywink

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »

The factory wrapping is your assurance that you are the first person to handle or use the game.  How do you know they didn't take a returned copy and put it back on the shelf?  What if there was a pack-in bonus that was taken?  Did they handle the disc or cartridge as well as you would?  Did they drop or scratch it?  Get fingerprints on it?  

I bought a new but unwrapped DS game once from GameStop that already had a savefile on it.  One of the employees must've given it a spin.  Never again.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2011, 06:53:22 PM »

Gonna have to with wonderpug on that one too. wrap or not, gamestop offers no deals, so that alone is reason for me to never look at them. Why buy a used game when in 30-60 days you can get it new and most likely cheaper than gamestop's shitty used price. there's just zero reason to even acknowledge gamestop as a competitor. the price war between amazon and walmart is all we need. then there's steam for pc games.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2011, 07:34:14 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 27, 2011, 06:34:00 PM

The factory wrapping is your assurance that you are the first person to handle or use the game.  How do you know they didn't take a returned copy and put it back on the shelf?  What if there was a pack-in bonus that was taken?  Did they handle the disc or cartridge as well as you would?  Did they drop or scratch it?  Get fingerprints on it?  

I bought a new but unwrapped DS game once from GameStop that already had a savefile on it.  One of the employees must've given it a spin.  Never again.

That has never happened to me.  Even if I got a DS game with a save file on it, you erase it and away you go.  It isn't like the game plays worse because someone played it.  As for the disc, you can inspect it yourself and see.  It's just never been an issue for me and I have gotten tons of gutted copies.

I want to make a point that I respect Freezer's right to feel how he does...just giving an opposing view that if you really think about it, in the grand scheme of things it just doesn't really matter.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2011, 07:54:01 PM »

I honestly never understood the unbridled wrath people have against Gamestop.

They are a business. They do things the way they do to make money, or to prevent losing it (by say theft). That's all.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »

Exactly.  I want the game new and unplayed, with all the contents intact.  For me, unwrapping a brand new game is part of the enjoyment.  It matters to me, but I understand that a lot of folks don't care. 

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2011, 08:56:03 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 27, 2011, 07:54:01 PM

I honestly never understood the unbridled wrath people have against Gamestop.

They are a business. They do things the way they do to make money, or to prevent losing it (by say theft). That's all.

Remember: Before you speak ill of a company whose practices you abhor, first check if they're just trying to make money.  icon_wink
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2011, 09:00:44 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 27, 2011, 08:56:03 PM

Remember: Before you speak ill of a company whose practices you abhor, first check if they're just trying to make money.  icon_wink

LOL, I like that. As consumers, you decide where to spend your money. Simple as that. Clearly, many people like shopping there well enough. Many don't. Personally, I do hope they stick around long term because I'm kind of old-fashioned and like to browse sometimes. I also like being able to dig up an old gem I missed out on. And while I have no problem buying online, I'm still not comfortable buying on someplace like Ebay if I don't have to, though I certainly have done so in the past.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2011, 09:19:39 PM »

I typically only buy on release day at gamestop and they are still sealed.  I can't stand getting a new game that has already been opened frown
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2011, 11:26:57 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on March 25, 2011, 07:54:50 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on March 25, 2011, 02:40:29 AM

I blame you guys, because I certainly don't shop there!

amazon for life. i havent paid full price for a game in years. every game i buy has credit.
99 cent release day delivery too.

This.  I haven't bought a new release from GS in years.

Amazon:

1. Usually cheaper prices for new games (i.e. $57 vs $60)
2. Usually a $10 or $20 credit
3. Free release date shipping (with Prime)
4. No tax

Why in the hell should I shop at GS?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2011, 11:28:19 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on March 27, 2011, 11:26:57 PM

Quote from: jersoc on March 25, 2011, 07:54:50 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on March 25, 2011, 02:40:29 AM

I blame you guys, because I certainly don't shop there!

amazon for life. i havent paid full price for a game in years. every game i buy has credit.
99 cent release day delivery too.

This.  I haven't bought a new release from GS in years.

Amazon:

1. Usually cheaper prices for new games (i.e. $57 vs $60)
2. Usually a $10 or $20 credit
3. Free release date shipping (with Prime)
4. No tax

Why in the hell should I shop at GS?

Or anywhere else?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2011, 11:42:47 PM »

5. Hassle free used game trade-in program with sometimes ridiculous offer prices.  
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2011, 11:45:50 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 27, 2011, 07:34:14 PM

That has never happened to me.  Even if I got a DS game with a save file on it, you erase it and away you go.  It isn't like the game plays worse because someone played it. 

If that's the case, why not charge full price for every "used" game?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2011, 12:33:59 AM »

4. No tax

Violating State/Federal Law unless you're one of the very, very few who do so by not submitting said 'missing' tax to the feds every year on your taxes.

Although I do agree, it's a great reason to shop online in general. Sadly, I have a distribution center in my state (but that means I can get same-day ordering on some things if I wanted), so I don't get this bonus.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2011, 03:56:44 AM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on March 27, 2011, 11:45:50 PM

That has never happened to me.  Even if I got a DS game with a save file on it, you erase it and away you go.  It isn't like the game plays worse because someone played it.

That's a good question. It boils down to perceived value, I suppose. In my experience, gutted games aren't used, though.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2011, 12:41:31 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on March 27, 2011, 06:53:22 PM

Gonna have to with wonderpug on that one too. wrap or not, gamestop offers no deals, so that alone is reason for me to never look at them. Why buy a used game when in 30-60 days you can get it new and most likely cheaper than gamestop's shitty used price. there's just zero reason to even acknowledge gamestop as a competitor. the price war between amazon and walmart is all we need. then there's steam for pc games.

This is simply not true. 

If you have the discount card and take advantage of the used game specials you can certainly get very good deals as long as you are willing to wait.  I agree that there are usually much better deals out there for day one purchases.  But I am much less likely to run out an buy games the day they come out than I used to be. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2011, 11:02:28 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 28, 2011, 12:33:59 AM

4. No tax

Violating State/Federal Law unless you're one of the very, very few who do so by not submitting said 'missing' tax to the feds every year on your taxes.

Yes, I totally keep track of everything I buy from Amazon and submit that with my taxes.  ninja  So does everybody I know.  Really.   paranoid

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2011, 03:21:27 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 28, 2011, 11:02:28 PM

Yes, I totally keep track of everything I buy from Amazon and submit that with my taxes.  ninja  So does everybody I know.  Really.   paranoid

My state tax return offers a handy "if you make this much, you probably spend this much online" chart and since it's much lower than how much I actually spend online, I just give them that amount and figure I'm in the clear.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2011, 03:30:11 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on March 27, 2011, 11:45:50 PM

considering the used prices I saw in store yesterday they practically do.  It looks like they're trying to drive people online, because the used prices are cheaper on their website than they are in their stores.

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2011, 03:59:10 PM »

I only shop at GS when I can't get release day shipping  from Amazon.  I did recently trade some games into them for cash instead of store credit, but I still took a hit for taking the cash.   Btw, since when did GS start requiring two forms of ID for game trade in?

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2011, 04:00:57 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 29, 2011, 03:59:10 PM

I only shop at GS when I can't get release day shipping  from Amazon.  I did recently trade some games into them for cash instead of store credit, but I still took a hit for taking the cash.   Btw, since when did GS start requiring two forms of ID for game trade in?

I think it depends on your local or state laws.  I took in a bunch of stuff on Sunday and only had to show one.

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2011, 05:10:36 PM »

I used to do almost all my game shopping at EB (no Gamestop local stores in my Canadian city yet), as I don't need my games to be shiny and new and their preowned prices were decent. I rarely have bad experiences with staff and about the only upsell I've encountered is the 1 year game quality guarantee, which I've always  declined. However, now that Futureshop has gotten into the preowned game biz, they've gotten the majority of my business. They've done that for 3 reasons; generally better prices on preowned games, usually slightly better prices on trade-ins and more importantly -the BIG reason- they refinish their preowned DVD's. I can't tell you how many times I've declined a preowned game at EB because the quality of the DVD was utter crap. For my money, if EB is not going to go the extra yard and put in place refinishing DVD's in their business model - they lose my business. So for now at least, I'm counted out of their Canadian sales figures.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2011, 07:00:50 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on March 29, 2011, 05:10:36 PM

they refinish their preowned DVD's. I can't tell you how many times I've declined a preowned game at EB because the quality of the DVD was utter crap.

I've been charged a refinishing fee on some of the games I've traded in at GS.  I seriously doubt they ever get refinished.  I see it as a way to reduce your trade-in value.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2011, 07:29:07 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 29, 2011, 04:00:57 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 29, 2011, 03:59:10 PM

I think it depends on your local or state laws.  I took in a bunch of stuff on Sunday and only had to show one.

I think in some states/provinces they are considered a form of "pawn shop" because of all the re-selling they do, which requires ID at trade-in.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: