http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 12:30:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gamestop: Hey! Used Games Matter! (otherwise we'll die...)  (Read 390 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2013, 03:16:12 AM »

OK, maybe they didn't add the last part, but they felt they needed to chime in on the first part.

US retail giant GameStop has moved to remind Microsoft and Sony why it reckons always-online consoles that don't play second-hand games are a bad idea.

In an interview with Forbes, GameStop president Tony Bartel answered questions on one of the hottest topics in gaming: always online next-generation consoles that - potentially - block used games.

"There has been a lot of speculation on this topic," Bartel said. "Console manufacturers understand that recent surveys indicate 60+ per cent of video game consumers would be less likely to purchase a new console that did not play pre-owned games.

he then chimes in with the part that matters to them:

"Also, used games generate more than $1 billion of trade credit annually, 70 per cent of which is credited towards purchasing new games and new hardware."

of course he also forgets to mention that without used game sale they couldn't gouge their customers with used games that are only $5 cheaper than the new copies, or give jack for actual credit.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 11:18:51 AM »

yeah as much as i hate GAME prices(i guess Gamestop are similar),used games are a big part of my gaming

GAME example prices that puzzle me:
Halo 4-24.99(brand new,not a bad price really,game was released just some 4 months ago)
Skyrim-24.99(Used,game was released a year and 4 months ago )

anyway....

Didn't SONY say the PS4 would play used games? or did i imagine that?

If Microsoft stick to their plan(which was leaked,so not official)and don't use used games while SONY does,then i will be a PS4 man next gen,simple as that,but i think it will be suicide if MS do stick to this plan(if that is indeed their plan)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 12:15:50 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 08, 2013, 11:18:51 AM

they did.  it's towards the end of the article.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 01:40:54 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 08, 2013, 12:15:50 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 08, 2013, 11:18:51 AM

they did.  it's towards the end of the article.

Ha,sorry CK,that link blended in with the rest of your post and i didn't even notice there was a link Tongue

Again,if SONY have said yes,i don't think GS and the others have much to worry about,at least for next gen(or upcoming gen)

someone said the same thing as this in another post(but probably not as rambling),that a lot of games i just would not try or get into if they were full price

Crysis 3 has/had got to number 1 here in the UK,along with Metal Gear Rising at number 2...if i am paying full price for a game,i look into the game first,and those two have both been said to have very short campaigns(5-6hrs).,straight away i am out,no matter how much i wanted them,and i will wait until it is cheaper(70% of the time when i do get them is them being used,and not just a price cut)

Obviously for those games to get to number 1 and 2 in the UK,i guess i may be in the minority though  icon_confused

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 02:23:47 PM »

I want my future console to play used games but I wouldn't shed a tear if Gamestop died in a fire. I wonder, am I willing to cut off my nose to spite Gamestop's face?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 02:33:33 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 08, 2013, 03:16:12 AM

OK, maybe they didn't add the last part, but they felt they needed to chime in on the first part.

US retail giant GameStop has moved to remind Microsoft and Sony why it reckons always-online consoles that don't play second-hand games are a bad idea.

In an interview with Forbes, GameStop president Tony Bartel answered questions on one of the hottest topics in gaming: always online next-generation consoles that - potentially - block used games.

"There has been a lot of speculation on this topic," Bartel said. "Console manufacturers understand that recent surveys indicate 60+ per cent of video game consumers would be less likely to purchase a new console that did not play pre-owned games.

he then chimes in with the part that matters to them:

"Also, used games generate more than $1 billion of trade credit annually, 70 per cent of which is credited towards purchasing new games and new hardware."

of course he also forgets to mention that without used game sale they couldn't gouge their customers with used games that are only $5 cheaper than the new copies, or give jack for actual credit.

I think their point with that second comment is that the used games make the purchase of new games possible for a lot of people and without them, it will be harder for the customer to buy new games which will affect MS and Sony's bottom line.

They aren't wrong,  And if we do switch to new only or all digital, the game prices need to drop significantly.  It's getting harder and harder to pay $60 for a game when I can get 60 games for that price on my handheld.

If the price of a new game drops to $20 or $30, Gamestop can be cut out of the equation.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 02:38:01 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on March 08, 2013, 02:23:47 PM

I want my future console to play used games but I wouldn't shed a tear if Gamestop died in a fire.

This. Hate that chain.  Haven't been in one in years.

With the few games I buy year, I buy new. If sell em, I sell em on ebay.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 04:33:11 AM »

I think they make used games need a fee to play them. Taking the concept of the online MP pass some titles use now applied to the whole game to throw a bone to the publishers.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 06:33:20 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on March 09, 2013, 04:33:11 AM

I think they make used games need a fee to play them. Taking the concept of the online MP pass some titles use now applied to the whole game to throw a bone to the publishers.

Been saying for years that this is the right approach. Publishers and devs make a little money on every used sale with no further manufacturing cost. Even a dollar a game would have a significant impact over the long term.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: