http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 02:16:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gamespot Zelda Review!  (Read 1401 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2006, 03:32:22 AM »

Hey all, the Gamespot Zelda review is up http://www.gamespot.com/events/wiilaunch/story.html?sid=6161993&pid=928519&tag=topslot;action;1&om_act=convert&click=topslot

The score is
Spoiler for Hiden:
which is what I thought the game would get when I started to hear all the graphics complaints from reviewers. I don't really give a crap about the game but I know a lot of you are excited about it and a lot of people here like GS reviews-so..HAVE AT IT!! Is it a fair review? You tell me  Tongue
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 03:38:19 AM »

I think as far as Zelda goes, you either know you are going to buy it already or you don't care.  My only interest in reviews is how the Cube version stacks up against the Wii once they finally release it. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 03:43:49 AM »

Considering that the reviewer's main complaint is about the controls, I think the game might actually be better on the Gamecube.  :icon_eek:
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 03:49:24 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on November 18, 2006, 03:43:49 AM

Considering that the reviewer's main complaint is about the controls, I think the game might actually be better on the Gamecube.  :icon_eek:

Is the GC version still cancelled?  That was #1 on my kids Xmas list until they backed off on producing it.  Frankly, I could do without the whole Wii thing, just keep pumping out GC games.  thumbsup

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 03:59:53 AM »

And yet every other impression I have read says it controls better on the Wii and they would never go back to playing it on a Gamecube controller.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 04:02:24 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 18, 2006, 03:49:24 AM

Is the GC version still cancelled?  That was #1 on my kids Xmas list until they backed off on producing it.  Frankly, I could do without the whole Wii thing, just keep pumping out GC games.  thumbsup

It was never cancelled. Zelda for GC comes out next month.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 04:08:12 AM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 04:06:13 AM »

Good score. Interesting that it's a good deal lower than most other sites and it's Gerstmann who is the reviewer. He's known for not being a big fan of the Wii and it's control method.

Also worth noting is how he blatantly spoils some of the items from the end of the game. He should know better than that.  :icon_sad:
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 04:12:03 AM »

Quote from: siege on November 18, 2006, 04:06:13 AM

Good score. Interesting that it's a good deal lower than most other sites and it's Gerstmann who is the reviewer. He's known for not being a big fan of the Wii and it's control method.

Also worth noting is how he blatantly spoils some of the items from the end of the game. He should know better than that.  :icon_sad:

Welcome to "reason Ron doesn't read gamespot #32454".  Thats shameful.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 04:20:07 AM »

I think it is funny that you said this is the score you figured it would get when every other site I can find that has reviewed the game has given it a 9+  Is the review fair?  I wont be able to tell you until I beat the game because I dont want anything spoiled for me.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 04:27:31 AM by GatorFavre » Logged

siege

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 04:21:43 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on November 18, 2006, 04:20:07 AM

I think it is funny that you said this is the score you figured it would get when every other site I can find that has reviewed has given it a 9+ 

Well, it is Calvin, and we know how much he loves Nintendo.  icon_wink
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 04:48:14 AM »

Quote from: siege on November 18, 2006, 04:21:43 AM

Quote from: GatorFavre on November 18, 2006, 04:20:07 AM

I think it is funny that you said this is the score you figured it would get when every other site I can find that has reviewed has given it a 9+ 

Well, it is Calvin, and we know how much he loves Nintendo.  icon_wink

It's okay.  Nintendo loves Calvin.  Nintendo loves everybody.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 06:37:34 AM »

I haven't read the review because I too heard there were some heavy spoilers in it.  However, as many others have already noted, not only is the score an outlier but almost every other review has been full of praise for the Wii controls.  Plus, that's lower than Gerstmann scored Wind Waker and, again, I have yet to hear of anyone imply that WW is the superior game. 

So, yeah, I can't really say that review gives me pause for a single second. 
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2006, 09:44:54 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 18, 2006, 06:37:34 AM

I haven't read the review because I too heard there were some heavy spoilers in it.  However, as many others have already noted, not only is the score an outlier but almost every other review has been full of praise for the Wii controls.  Plus, that's lower than Gerstmann scored Wind Waker and, again, I have yet to hear of anyone imply that WW is the superior game. 

why would an 8.8 give you pause anyway?  is that bad or something to you?  some of you guys in this thread seem to imply that you differentiate a huge amount between 8.8 and 9.5, I don't see why that would be the case?

as for spoilers, I only watched the video review and I didn't notice anything of the sort in that.  I didn't bother reading the text review though so maybe it's only in there
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 11:21:15 AM »

Ouch, what was the last Zelda game to be scored below 9?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2006, 02:46:47 PM »

ROFL, wait til you guys see Gamestop's Black Friday t-shirts. You'll understand why the scores are so high.
Reggie's comin' for ya!

Ruining language with my terrible words.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2006, 03:21:04 PM »

I don't understand the uproar over an 8.8 either.  That still seems pretty good to me.  I read Tom Chick's review and he seemed to like it quite a bit.  Although he seemed to imply that the Gamecube version might be just as good.  He didn't really remark about the controls one way or the other.  My gaming tastes tend to mirror his so I might get the Cube version when it comes out.  It might be nice to get the little purple box out of the attic for one more game. 

Concerning the Wiimote in general.  I played Madden for the Wii for about 30 minutes at Micro Center yesterday.  I'll grant that I am VERY used to madden with a standard gamepad.  But I cannot see how anyone could find the Wii control scheme for Madden to be simpler and more intuitive.  That seemed to be the opinion of the Gamespot Zelda reviewer as well.  To me the controller is everything for the Wii.  My two first-hand Wiimote experiences so far (Excite Truck and Madden,) have not been good.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 03:57:32 PM »

For what it's worth, I've trusted Gamespot reviews 9-times-out-of-10 . They've been pretty spot-on and on-par with how I would've reviewed any particular game. Unlike IGN which tends to overrate every single game they review, I actually like Gamespot's harsh and critical eye when it comes to reviews.

That being said, I think it's safe to say that by virtue of it's pedigree, it was pretty much a given that any Zelda game released would automatically receive glowing perfect-10 reviews. It's almost as if people are afraid of critically reviewing the game or automatically assume it's going to be awesome (after all, it's Nintendo's bread-n-butter franchise).

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 04:04:09 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 18, 2006, 09:44:54 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 18, 2006, 06:37:34 AM

why would an 8.8 give you pause anyway?  is that bad or something to you?  some of you guys in this thread seem to imply that you differentiate a huge amount between 8.8 and 9.5, I don't see why that would be the case?

There is a perception to many that below a 9 for a Zelda game is "bad".  I don't necessarilly share it but the perception is definitely out there. 

Quote from: denongizer
I read Tom Chick's review and he seemed to like it quite a bit.  Although he seemed to imply that the Gamecube version might be just as good.  He didn't really remark about the controls one way or the other.

I haven't read his review, but he was quite complimentary on the Wii controls in a post he made on QT3.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2006, 04:38:05 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 18, 2006, 04:04:09 PM

Quote from: denongizer
I read Tom Chick's review and he seemed to like it quite a bit.  Although he seemed to imply that the Gamecube version might be just as good.  He didn't really remark about the controls one way or the other.

I haven't read his review, but he was quite complimentary on the Wii controls in a post he made on QT3.

I did see that.  He also really likes Excite Truck from what I read.  My first taste of Excite truck was at EB last week.  No AI trucks in split screen (WTF?), very floaty controls, and 2003ish graphics all combined to make it seem very mediocre to me.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2006, 04:41:35 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 18, 2006, 04:04:09 PM

There is a perception to many that below a 9 for a Zelda game is "bad".  I don't necessarilly share it but the perception is definitely out there. 

well if you don't think that way, that's cool.  for those that do, I have some not so nice things to say because it's completely illogical =P
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2006, 07:19:16 PM »

"The combat controls using the Wii Remote may feel somewhat different from past games, but it doesn't draw you into the experience any more than using a standard controller would, and at worst, it's imprecise."

The Wii is dead. I'm sticking with the GC version. 

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2006, 07:30:27 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 18, 2006, 07:19:16 PM

"The combat controls using the Wii Remote may feel somewhat different from past games, but it doesn't draw you into the experience any more than using a standard controller would, and at worst, it's imprecise."

The Wii is dead. I'm sticking with the GC version. 

Why would they? Not suprised.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2006, 08:06:28 PM »

Thank god someone had the balls to review the game, and not the franchise.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: