http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 08:47:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gamespot Red Steel review uh oh  (Read 2224 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2006, 03:00:57 PM »

And it's not even Gerstmann...

5.5.  Yipes!

I've been thinking the lack of reviews or comments on the game was troubling.

From the comments:

Red Steel isn't completely devoid of merit, but it's a half-baked, buggy game that feels rushed and poorly executed. There's a good concept in here somewhere, as a swords-and-guns shooter pitting you against yakuza villains certainly seems like it could be very exciting. However, the experience itself hardly fulfills any of the promises behind it. So if you're looking for an exciting new way to simulate gunning or cutting lots of dudes down using the Wii Remote, you'd best keep looking.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/redsteel/review.html?sid=6162018&page=2

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 03:10:51 PM »

I'm gonna wait for more reviews before calling this game total gloom and doom. That, and I bought it already.  icon_biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 03:26:30 PM »

Luckily I haven't picked it up yet.  Kasavin is definitely trutable and I have been very on the fence about this one.  Gonna wait until Metroid to get my first FPS fix.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 03:48:25 PM »

Is anyone really surprised? It looked pretty bad already from the E3 demos. I think all the hype was because of the ZOMG I get to swing the wiimote to control a katana awesome kthxbye! factor.

Zelda notwithstanding, my interest in the wii was pretty low to begin with. The launch line for the wii (and PS3 as well) is just plain weak IMHO. I hope something halfway decent comes out soon.

And I also seriously hope the following shot was from some earlier build or something cuz it looks like poo crybaby

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 03:48:51 PM »

Nintendo must have "suggested" that Ubisoft allow the game to be released for the launch to be the "Wii-FSP", because it sounds like the game simply needed more time to be developed. And this is a fear that people have had since E3, so it's not a surprise - it's just unfortunate that the control issues weren't sorted out in that time. Nintendo could have let the apparently very decent Call of Duty 3 quench shooter thirsts, but that game would have been directly compared to it's 360 and PS3 brethren, and isn't as Wii salable as a game with swords, since they demonstrate the use of the Wii-mote better. News reports, from what I've seen, have often shown Red Steel more than other, even higher profile, games.

Again, could have been a cool game if the devs had been allowed the time to polish it. (I'm thankful that Retro was allowed to hold back on Metroid for this very reason.)

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 03:52:54 PM »

Quote from: spigot on November 18, 2006, 03:48:25 PM

Zelda notwithstanding, my interest in the wii was pretty low to begin with. The launch line for the wii (and PS3 as well) is just plain weak IMHO. I hope something halfway decent comes out soon.

The rest of the Wii lineup has been reviewed fairly well. Rayman, Call of Duty3, Trauma Center, Monkey Ball, Tony Hawk, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, Madden 07, are all respectable 80%-ish games. Up until Red Steel, the low scores were for Excite Truck and Wii Sports, which were 70%-ish. I'd say that's a strong, well rounded launch lineup.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 04:00:07 PM »

Quote from: Dafones on November 18, 2006, 03:52:54 PM

The rest of the Wii lineup has been reviewed fairly well. Rayman, Call of Duty3, Trauma Center, Monkey Ball, Tony Hawk, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, Madden 07, are all respectable 80%-ish games. Up until Red Steel, the low scores were for Excite Truck and Wii Sports, which were 70%-ish. I'd say that's a strong, well rounded launch lineup.

Agreed.  However, I'm switching my pre-orders for Red Steel and Excite Truck to Monkey Ball and Trauma Center (I was planning on getting Trauma Center anyway, but I figured I wouldn't have to worry about it selling out).

spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 04:05:07 PM »

Quote from: Dafones on November 18, 2006, 03:52:54 PM

I guess I should clarify myself as I expected people would respond with 'look, there are X number of reviews out there with ratings of Y% and higher': launch lineup-wise there isn't anything that would make me drop everything I'm doing to hunt down a Wii.  I know console wars aren't won at launch, but it still would've been nice to have some more titles that I would actually be interested in :slywink:

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 04:06:56 PM »

Not surprised, I watched them play that on On the Spot and I thought it looked very average if not worse.  I guess it is either CoD3 or wait for Metroid if you want a good FPS on the Wii.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 04:33:17 PM »

Ouch, Wii isn't faring well outside of Zelda, and rumors are, the GameCube version controls better anyway.

Once again, I honestly believe the Wii is different enough from the GameCube to ever be a giant success.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 04:36:19 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 18, 2006, 04:33:17 PM

Ouch, Wii isn't faring well outside of Zelda, and rumors are, the GameCube version controls better anyway.

Once again, I honestly believe the Wii is different enough from the GameCube to ever be a giant success.

As pointed out in another thread, several Wii games have been getting 80%+ reviews it actually seems to be fairing quite well, though it obviously doesn't float your boat. 
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 04:38:55 PM »

I beg to differ

I also think the poor scores for Excite Truck may be unwarranted. An Opposing viewpoint from Tom Chick on Yahoo

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2006, 04:46:00 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 18, 2006, 04:38:55 PM

I beg to differ

I also think the poor scores for Excite Truck may be unwarranted. An Opposing viewpoint from Tom Chick on Yahoo

LOL, Tom Chick will say anything to get attention.  retard

Point I was trying to make, outside of Zelda, the Wii seems to not be all that impressive.  Given you can get Zelda on the GC without the added hardware expensive, I think we'll stick with the GC and skip the GC 1.5 this round.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 04:55:56 PM »

The Wii reviews are just as good if not better than what the PS3 games are getting. 

warning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2006, 04:58:40 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 18, 2006, 04:46:00 PM

I beg to differ

LOL, Tom Chick will say anything to get attention.  retard

Heh.  And Kobra won't?   Tongue

Don't hate on Tommy boy.  He's one of the good guys.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2006, 05:18:23 PM »

[hate self for feeding the kobra-flames]

Actually, most of the reviews I've seen have talked about the Wii controls adding to the experience tremendously.  This from IGN:
The experience is made better and not worse on Wii. The Wii remote and nunchuk add accuracy and speed to exploration and combat for a heightened sense of immersion. While the game has just about everything going for it, including improved controls...

[/hate self back to loving Nintendo]

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 05:25:23 PM »

I'm actually surprised at the high review scores Wii Sports is getting (averaging just over 8 ). I didn't expect a lot of reviewers to get it. You can kind of see that where a lot of reviewers have said they didn't like Wii Boxing but a couple have said it was the best of the bunch (the latter matching what my manager said after playing it).

Some of the Wii games are going to be unique in that the experience you get out of the game is going to vary with the amount of energy you're willing to put into it. Wii Boxing is one of those games, I think. This is a game that to get the most out of, you're going to need to get off the sofa. Some people will love that, others won't.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 05:46:01 PM by Misguided » Logged

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 05:33:25 PM »

(averaging just over  icon_cool)

That's pretty good but not as good as  eek or as bad as  crybaby.  Actually, I'll only buy a game if its in the  retard range.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2006, 05:46:26 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 18, 2006, 05:33:25 PM

(averaging just over  icon_cool)

That's pretty good but not as good as  eek or as bad as  crybaby.  Actually, I'll only buy a game if its in the  retard range.

ROFL, that's awesome.

siege

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2006, 06:02:12 PM »

Not surprising. The game has always looked pretty awful, the multiplayer in particular.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 08:27:50 PM by siege » Logged
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2006, 07:25:57 PM »

Not surprised at all. Game has looked like crap since it was first introduced.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2006, 07:29:50 PM »

Ohh well there goes my only reason to get a Wii at launch. Guess I'll be waiting for a bit to see what comes out.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2006, 08:58:13 PM »

Was really hoping that this one would pull through at be an above average game... dissapointed. I'll skip it for now unless some other reviews come out and legitimately say Gamespot is crazy.'

Oh and Tom Chick means nothing! My review should be posted tonight or tomorrow for Excite Truck.. that's the final word on the game! smile

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2006, 09:11:10 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on November 18, 2006, 08:58:13 PM

Was really hoping that this one would pull through at be an above average game... dissapointed. I'll skip it for now unless some other reviews come out and legitimately say Gamespot is crazy.'

Oh and Tom Chick means nothing! My review should be posted tonight or tomorrow for Excite Truck.. that's the final word on the game! smile
I'd trust your review in a heartbeat over Tom Chick. I want someone that actually wants to review the game, not aggrandize at every possible opportunity.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2006, 10:19:57 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on November 18, 2006, 08:58:13 PM

Please make it tonight, so I can decide if I'm picking it up in the morning.  My buying dollar rests on you.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2006, 01:20:02 AM »

I beg to differ

Chick only likes Excite Truck since it's from the same developers as the abysmal Test Drive: Eve of Destruction, which was reviled for the shoddy piece of crap it was by everyone but Tom.

He has his brain farts -- this obsession with shitty racers being the most recent in the long decline which began with him panning Deus Ex.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2006, 01:25:10 AM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 19, 2006, 01:20:02 AM

I beg to differ

Chick only likes Excite Truck since it's from the same developers as the abysmal Test Drive: Eve of Destruction, which was reviled for the shoddy piece of crap it was by everyone but Tom.

He has his brain farts -- this obsession with shitty racers being the most recent in the long decline which began with him panning Deus Ex.

I enjoyed Test Drive: EoD, and I know a couple other people around these parts did, too. 

Excite Truck looks like a very different kind of game and not my style at all.  I haven't played it, but from the videos it looks very arcadey, with the truck pivoting on a central axis and just sliding all over hell with no real friction.  It seems to also have been roundly knocked for being pretty shallow with not many tracks or other options. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2006, 03:36:10 AM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 19, 2006, 01:20:02 AM

Chick only likes Excite Truck since it's from the same developers as the abysmal Test Drive: Eve of Destruction, which was reviled for the shoddy piece of crap it was

I'd shell out 60 bucks right now for an update of Eve of Destruction for 360. Give me the same damned game with good framerate and updated graphics, and I'll buy it in a second. Fantastically fun game with darned good physics and quite a bit of variety that I discovered fairly recently, but my son and I have had a marvelous time with it on 360, and that's considering the framerate is truly horrid as a BC game. The fact that it is from the same developer leads me to think it will be a heck of a lot of fun.

Just curious...and I'm not meaning to be incendiary here...but have you actually played Eve of Destruction? What didn't you like about it?

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2006, 03:39:00 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 19, 2006, 01:25:10 AM

Excite Truck looks like a very different kind of game and not my style at all.  I haven't played it, but from the videos it looks very arcadey, with the truck pivoting on a central axis and just sliding all over hell with no real friction.  It seems to also have been roundly knocked for being pretty shallow with not many tracks or other options. 

Absolutely. It looks like a San Francisco Rush type game that you'd see in an arcade. I don't usually like games that are that arcadey, but all the videos I've seen make it look like a real fun time, what with the stupidly huge jumps and stuff. I think it only qualifies as a "racing game" in the same sense a kart racer does.

Tebunker, I can't wait to see what you think of it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: