http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 09:40:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gamespot Drops a 7.8 on Crackdown  (Read 13690 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2007, 08:41:49 PM »

....and now, GamingTrend drops a more accurate 84% on Crackdown.  smile  Front page folks.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2007, 08:50:46 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 25, 2007, 08:41:49 PM

....and now, GamingTrend drops a more accurate 84% on Crackdown.  smile  Front page folks.

Spot on review!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2007, 08:53:12 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 25, 2007, 08:50:46 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 25, 2007, 08:41:49 PM

Spot on review!

Thanks, much appreciated.  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2007, 09:34:35 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 25, 2007, 01:47:13 PM

My narrator is starting to lose it.  I climbed the Agency tower, and he said "Look at that, Agent!  Finest view in the city!"  With a 360 degree panorama of all the islands, I couldn't agree more, what a nice little sound bite they programmed in!

And then a few minutes later, I jumped on top of a small gas station that I've repeatedly stood on since the start of the game.  ""Look at that, Agent!  Finest view in the city!"  Well, I guess it's a nice view of that strip club across the street?

A bit later when I was trying to grab an agility orb on a pipe, I accidentally fell into the water in some industrial area.  "Look at that, Agent!  Finest view in the city!"  Err...

The last straw was when I was attacking a boss and I needed to find some cover to recharge.  I duck into this small windowless room, and sure enough:  "Look at that, Agent!  Finest view in the city!"

This guy needs a vacation!

Yeah, my Narrator was kind of wonky too.  I loaded up the game and stepped away for a moment.  So there's my guy, staning there, not moving at all, and the Narrator chimes in 'Great Ascent Agent!'.  I have to look back into the room to make sure the game isn't playing itself.

One thing they need to do in CD2 is refine the targeting system.  Too many times I ended up targetting a corpse on the ground or an enemy that was further away from me than the guy right in my face trying to unload a shotgun into my chest.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2007, 10:01:40 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 25, 2007, 09:34:35 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on February 25, 2007, 01:47:13 PM

My narrator is starting to lose it.  I climbed the Agency tower, and he said "Look at that, Agent!  Finest view in the city!"  With a 360 degree panorama of all the islands, I couldn't agree more, what a nice little sound bite they programmed in!

And then a few minutes later, I jumped on top of a small gas station that I've repeatedly stood on since the start of the game.  ""Look at that, Agent!  Finest view in the city!"  Well, I guess it's a nice view of that strip club across the street?

A bit later when I was trying to grab an agility orb on a pipe, I accidentally fell into the water in some industrial area.  "Look at that, Agent!  Finest view in the city!"  Err...

The last straw was when I was attacking a boss and I needed to find some cover to recharge.  I duck into this small windowless room, and sure enough:  "Look at that, Agent!  Finest view in the city!"

This guy needs a vacation!

Yeah, my Narrator was kind of wonky too.  I loaded up the game and stepped away for a moment.  So there's my guy, staning there, not moving at all, and the Narrator chimes in 'Great Ascent Agent!'.  I have to look back into the room to make sure the game isn't playing itself.

One thing they need to do in CD2 is refine the targeting system.  Too many times I ended up targetting a corpse on the ground or an enemy that was further away from me than the guy right in my face trying to unload a shotgun into my chest.

It’ll only take a few moments with Crackdown to get flashbacks of the announcer from the Unreal Tournament series – further proof that ultraviolence needs an over the top announcer.  The disembodied voice gives you the lay of the land and offers some fairly generic advice, as well as commenting on your overall progress.  Unfortunately he just won’t shut the hell up about it.  The voice will compliment you on an impressive ascent, suggest odds on your ability to take out a particular lieutenant or kingpin, and chastise you if you happen to cause too much collateral civilian damage.  The first few times you hear it, the voice really fits.  Unfortunately once you get through a good chunk of the game it will almost assuredly get annoying.  The voice stops paying attention to what you are doing and starts making comments almost randomly.  During one point I was looking at the side of a short stack of slum buildings and the voice commented how great of an ascent I had just made and then how great the view looked – I hadn’t ascended anything tall, and the view was less than spectacular.  No more than 10 minutes later he complimented the view again as I climbed a staircase in a building with no windows.  I don’t think he was watching the same game I was.  In short, the advice just stops being helpful after an hour or so, and becomes even less helpful when you’ve maxed out your agility but get to hear how gathering agility orbs will help your agility skill.

There is one particular aspect of the controls that needs a bit of an upgrade – the lock-on function.  Realtime Worlds obviously wanted you to be able to juggle bodies and cars with rockets, but often enough you’ll find that you are still locking onto a corpse instead of the 5 guys around you with automatic weapons pumping rounds into your chest.  Releasing the lock and trying again will often lock you back onto the corpse again.  This can and will result in your unnecessary death several times during the game, I assure you.  It won’t ruin the game, but it does make for some frustration points during heavy gun battles. 

Couldn't agree more....
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 10:03:18 PM by Knightshade Dragon » Logged

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2007, 10:07:53 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 25, 2007, 10:01:40 PM

Couldn't agree more....

icon_lol  I hadn't gotten to reading the review yet.

Because I can,
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2007, 12:21:30 AM »

Loving this game, having a heck of a lot fo fun with it. Yeah it has it flaws, but it is very fun. Played all day, with most of that spent just exploring.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2007, 12:56:39 AM »

I love this game too. LOVE. IT.

I started playing last night and before I knew it, it was after 3 in the morning. It's so much fun.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2007, 02:07:09 AM »

Quote from: rrmorton on February 26, 2007, 12:56:39 AM

I started playing last night and before I knew it, it was after 3 in the morning. It's so much fun.

Stop it. It won't work. I'm NOT buying this game.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2007, 02:20:27 AM »

Quote from: ATB on February 26, 2007, 02:07:09 AM

If you buy it, I'll play co-op with you  icon_eek

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2007, 03:25:37 AM »

Quote from: ATB on February 26, 2007, 02:07:09 AM

You're probably right in not picking it up- the game would be too much for you.  It'll be best if you just skip it.

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2007, 03:45:25 AM »

Well it does unfortunately sound like a rental for me since you guys are saying 8-10 hours playtime.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2007, 03:53:38 AM »

8-10 hours is my sweetspot.  Anymore and I usually get a bit bored and seek out multiplayer aspects in a game.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2007, 07:06:47 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 26, 2007, 03:45:25 AM

Well it does unfortunately sound like a rental for me since you guys are saying 8-10 hours playtime.

It depends on how driven you are. I have probably 5-6 hours in, and I only cleared out the first gang so far. I have been driving around, exploring, and working on stats. Been having fun just doing that myself.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2007, 09:34:44 AM »

Quote from: Lee on February 26, 2007, 07:06:47 AM

Quote from: Calvin on February 26, 2007, 03:45:25 AM

It depends on how driven you are. I have probably 5-6 hours in, and I only cleared out the first gang so far. I have been driving around, exploring, and working on stats. Been having fun just doing that myself.

Yeah, I'd say it'd be 8-10 hours if you just want to beat it.  At the rate I'm playing I'll probably be at at least 14-15 hours before I want to put it on the shelf.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2007, 06:36:29 PM »

Thanks to all the advice I read about the default difficulty being too easy, I started on Psychotic and played for over 3 hours without beating the first crime boss. So I think it'll have a lot more than 8-10 hours to offer if you want it to, although I agree with Kobra that I don't really need more to be happy.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2007, 07:01:43 PM »

I must not be good because I find it kinda tough on default  crybaby

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2007, 07:24:44 PM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on February 26, 2007, 07:01:43 PM

How far into it are you?  When I started out it was a lot more difficult than it should've been because I hadn't yet realized the importance of taking cover, and the way that your armor recharges if you lay low for a few seconds.  Once I got that concept down, the boss assaults became much more strategic (and doable).
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2007, 07:44:04 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 26, 2007, 07:24:44 PM

How far into it are you?  When I started out it was a lot more difficult than it should've been because I hadn't yet realized the importance of taking cover, and the way that your armor recharges if you lay low for a few seconds.  Once I got that concept down, the boss assaults became much more strategic (and doable).

I prefer it on the default difficulty just because I like being an unstoppable badass and taking everyone and everything out with my bare hands. I should get driving xp for kicking a truck into a bunch of thugs, killing them.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2007, 03:50:52 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on February 26, 2007, 07:44:04 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on February 26, 2007, 07:24:44 PM

I prefer it on the default difficulty just because I like being an unstoppable badass and taking everyone and everything out with my bare hands. I should get driving xp for kicking a truck into a bunch of thugs, killing them.

+1, on easiest it's fun and not frustrating. I still die on occasion, usually from multiple grenades at once. I do wish, once I cleaned something out, that new thugs wouldn't keep appearing. I was trying to find the switches for a particular boss, and the amount of baddies that kept coming in was getting irritating.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2007, 12:59:37 PM »

i resisted using my weapon and concentrated on kicks or punches...when you get upgraded to 2 star,3 star etc...you get another bar of health,and that really helped me with the rest of the game

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2007, 01:24:10 PM »

The ultimate compliment to Crackdown:  my wife will actually sit down and watch me play it.  She isn't into violent games at all and she keeps mentioning to me that I better not play it when my children are awake, but she still watched because she has fun watching me jump from rooftop to rooftop looking for orbs.  I am still having a blast with this one.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2007, 04:34:22 PM »

papa smurff and I played this a ton.  I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of it.  I've gotten my skills all maxed, and I'm missing 18 odd agility orbs.  If there was a way to reset the city, including the bosses, I would definitely play some more.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2007, 05:11:00 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on February 27, 2007, 04:34:22 PM

papa smurff and I played this a ton.  I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of it.  I've gotten my skills all maxed, and I'm missing 18 odd agility orbs.  If there was a way to reset the city, including the bosses, I would definitely play some more.

I've been thinking something along these lines would've been the perfect way to give the game longer legs without putting that much development effort.  Once you beat the three gangs, have some simple plot exposition about how "that wasn't the real threat after all!" and respawn the islands with a new set of bosses.  Keep the same city and architecture and base layouts, but repopulate the bases with tougher enemies with better weapons, and make the hit squads more easily triggered.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2007, 05:57:38 PM »

Quote from: juniordan on February 25, 2007, 08:48:20 AM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 24, 2007, 03:00:44 AM

Another small detail that is a huge improvement over GTA for me is the fact that the cars you leave around stay there for a long time.  I jumped a car into the pond near the carnival area and then went around grabbing all the Agility orbs at the carnival and beach and just screwing around for a while.  When I was done with that I jacked a new car and started driving by that pond and my old car was still in there, like 20 minutes later! 

I always detested how just turning around would make cars disappear in GTA, even in the PC versions.

I said that samething just today. but then I quickly remembered GTA had a very active AI. You left a car alone and it would get jacked, hell they will even pull you out of the car and jack you in GTA. I cant remember have a car disappear like that in GTA: SA, which I am assuming you are talking about.
So to compare Crackdown to GTA in that way is an overstatement. I would simply call it a Convince in Crackdown.

Dude... I can jump 25 feet and kick a dumpster more than that. WHO is going to pull me out of my car? Thug B in brown clothes?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: February 27, 2007, 11:23:55 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 27, 2007, 05:11:00 PM

Quote from: Jarrodhk on February 27, 2007, 04:34:22 PM

I've been thinking something along these lines would've been the perfect way to give the game longer legs without putting that much development effort.  Once you beat the three gangs, have some simple plot exposition about how "that wasn't the real threat after all!" and respawn the islands with a new set of bosses.  Keep the same city and architecture and base layouts, but repopulate the bases with tougher enemies with better weapons, and make the hit squads more easily triggered.

I believe that a player who has finished and hosts a game gets all the bosses back.  Anyone want to help me test this tonight?  My gamertag is Dreamshadow1977

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2007, 11:42:50 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on February 27, 2007, 11:23:55 PM

I believe that a player who has finished and hosts a game gets all the bosses back.  Anyone want to help me test this tonight?  My gamertag is Dreamshadow1977

Nope - you can make generic guys spawn all over the city, but the bosses are gone for good.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2007, 11:47:15 PM »

Oh joy.  Which means I have to find a person who hasn't killed a boss yet to earn the last co-op achievement.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2007, 12:24:12 AM »

I still have a few bosses left  icon_biggrin

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2007, 12:28:41 AM »

I may eventually try the deleting of the save file trick to start over.  I'd just prefer to keep my stats.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2007, 01:28:09 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on February 28, 2007, 12:28:41 AM

I may eventually try the deleting of the save file trick to start over.  I'd just prefer to keep my stats.

Sounds like someone might have given you that idea!!!! hmmm who could that have been?.....lol

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2007, 04:46:54 AM »

FOUND ALL 500 AGILITY ORBS!!!!!

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2007, 05:31:53 AM »

Quote from: papasmurff on March 01, 2007, 04:46:54 AM

Aww, you suck!  I'm still about 40 short on those, and over 100 short on the blue hidden ones. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2007, 06:37:43 AM »

Because I can,
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2007, 06:48:04 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 01, 2007, 06:37:43 AM

No thanks I am cool with all the agility orbs

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2007, 09:06:04 PM »

You deserve WAY more than a cookie for that.  Quite an achievement.  I hope the Achievement points are worth it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2007, 09:20:20 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 01, 2007, 09:06:04 PM

You deserve WAY more than a cookie for that.  Quite an achievement.  I hope the Achievement points are worth it.

not at all....only 50, just the same as taking down a gang only not as easy

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2007, 09:39:20 PM »

Quote from: papasmurff on March 01, 2007, 09:20:20 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 01, 2007, 09:06:04 PM

not at all....only 50, just the same as taking down a gang only not as easy

Ooof....thats almost nuthin for that much work.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2007, 06:57:11 PM »

I just beat this game, and that ending.... WTF?

PSN ID: EduardoX
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 04, 2007, 09:07:07 PM »

Yeah it was pretty stupid....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: