http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 02:28:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gamespot Drops a 7.8 on Crackdown  (Read 13888 times)
USMC Kato
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2007, 05:02:41 AM »

Well after I played some co-op with Ron, (which was pretty badass by the way) I noticed that there was an option to play with ambient crime on or off. 

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2007, 05:42:07 AM »

I noticed that if you see one of the car billboards and then target it (left-trigger) it will scroll text that shows you who has the top time on one of the races.  Kind of cool, although I'm sure I will never see my own name on one of those. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2007, 02:54:09 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on February 22, 2007, 05:02:41 AM

Well after I played some co-op with Ron, (which was pretty badass by the way) I noticed that there was an option to play with ambient crime on or off. 

Correct!  You can turn crime back on after you beat the game.  Its helping me with my last 4 star upgrade - driving.  I need perps to run down damnit!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2007, 03:24:14 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 22, 2007, 02:54:09 PM

Correct!  You can turn crime back on after you beat the game.  Its helping me with my last 4 star upgrade - driving.  I need perps to run down damnit!

Thank goodness.

Oh, and Ron - you're an evil bastard. biggrin

Random thought - I accidentally took down a gang boss with a car once (instant kill). It was the one in the racetrack or whatever it was. Didn't even realize it was him until the game showed his flattened corpse lying on the ground. smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2007, 04:17:46 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 22, 2007, 03:24:14 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 22, 2007, 02:54:09 PM

Thank goodness.

Oh, and Ron - you're an evil bastard. biggrin

Random thought - I accidentally took down a gang boss with a car once (instant kill). It was the one in the racetrack or whatever it was. Didn't even realize it was him until the game showed his flattened corpse lying on the ground. smile

I'm the evil bastard?  I didn't even think to bring car in there....nicely done!  Me, I scaled the back wall and popped in like "HI THERE!" and put 5 rockets in has slack jaw. 

I did kill the last guy out of turn though.  Overshot my target, ascended the building, and started scratching my head.

"Hmm...this is supposed to be a big burly black guy - he sure sounds stereotypically asian for a black dude."  Yea, guess the extra layer of protection from this other guy wasn't enough. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2007, 01:20:01 AM »

I take back what I said about crackdown. I am actually having fun with it. I must be insane, I didnt like the demo very much but I bought the game anyway. I have a serious game buying addiction

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2007, 12:04:13 PM »

Absolutely loving this game.  Got in some Co-op with the Knightshade, who is insane...I was car surfing when KD decided to drive off the road and into a river... thankfully my quick reflexes allowed me to jump off just at the last second.  Then I was going after a boss and KD decided to give me a hand, with his rocket launcher... I get to the boss who comes running past me on fire... so I beat her down to finish her off, was quite fun.  Can't wait until I get maxed out agility so I can super jump around.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2007, 12:11:25 PM »

I definitely want to get this when I get back to the U.S.  Sounds like you guys are having fun and I would love to get in some co-op.  I liked the demo a great deal, so I was probably going to get it some time, but you guys are speeding that up a little, I think.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2007, 12:22:38 PM »

I would really like to rent this.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2007, 01:05:22 PM »

I was worried about picking this up after some of the lackluster reviews and impressions, but decided to bite the bullet last night anyway.  Boy am I glad I did, I am having a blast.  I took the advice to immediately kick the difficulty, and I imagine that is doing a lot to give the game legs.  Even on the first couple of sub-bosses I've died or at least had to regroup when I attacked without any attempt at planning or taking cover.

More impressions later, but I'm loving the full version so far.

It's going to be a little hard going back to GTA after seeing what a three dimensional city is like.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2007, 01:24:13 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 23, 2007, 01:05:22 PM

I was worried about picking this up after some of the lackluster reviews and impressions, but decided to bite the bullet last night anyway.  Boy am I glad I did, I am having a blast.  I took the advice to immediately kick the difficulty, and I imagine that is doing a lot to give the game legs.  Even on the first couple of sub-bosses I've died or at least had to regroup when I attacked without any attempt at planning or taking cover.

More impressions later, but I'm loving the full version so far.

It's going to be a little hard going back to GTA after seeing what a three dimensional city is like.

same here,i have just got it this morning,and i have been playing for about 2 hrs,i am having a lot of fun jumping from building to building

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2007, 02:52:29 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on February 23, 2007, 12:04:13 PM

Absolutely loving this game.  Got in some Co-op with the Knightshade, who is insane...I was car surfing when KD decided to drive off the road and into a river... thankfully my quick reflexes allowed me to jump off just at the last second.  Then I was going after a boss and KD decided to give me a hand, with his rocket launcher... I get to the boss who comes running past me on fire... so I beat her down to finish her off, was quite fun.  Can't wait until I get maxed out agility so I can super jump around.

Muhahahha!  I'm glad the Agency vehicles are sturdy, and I'm glad the people in the game are flammable.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2007, 02:58:41 PM »

Can someone explain to me why they decided to make it take about 25 rounds to kill a bad guy? Maybe I'm used to Rainbow 6 Vegas or something, but I am locking onto enemies in Crackdown, having no problem with that, but jeez o pete, its taking a shit load of hits to kill these gangbangers.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2007, 03:12:35 PM »

Quote from: jblank on February 23, 2007, 02:58:41 PM

Can someone explain to me why they decided to make it take about 25 rounds to kill a bad guy? Maybe I'm used to Rainbow 6 Vegas or something, but I am locking onto enemies in Crackdown, having no problem with that, but jeez o pete, its taking a shit load of hits to kill these gangbangers.

Headshots FTW - one shot and they drop.  Just assume they are all on crack.  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2007, 03:41:56 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 23, 2007, 03:12:35 PM

Headshots FTW - one shot and they drop.  Just assume they are all on crack.  smile

But with the lock on, how can you head shot? Are you guys NOT using the lock on? The game really hasn't grabbed me yet, I am struggling a bit with the feel of it, so I apologize if I sound angry at the game, but right now, I'm a tad bit disappointed.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2007, 03:45:33 PM »

In the demo (have the full version, but haven't opened it yet), once you lock on, you can change the body part you're aiming at by moving the right stick.  You can aim at body, head, left/right arm, or left/right leg.  You can do the same with vehicles.  I think the amount of time it takes to actually zero in on the area you're aiming at goes down as your ranged skill goes up.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2007, 03:47:31 PM »

Ah, ok, I will try that and see if my killing capabilities improve.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2007, 03:50:04 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on February 23, 2007, 03:45:33 PM

In the demo (have the full version, but haven't opened it yet), once you lock on, you can change the body part you're aiming at by moving the right stick.  You can aim at body, head, left/right arm, or left/right leg.  You can do the same with vehicles.  I think the amount of time it takes to actually zero in on the area you're aiming at goes down as your ranged skill goes up.

That's right.  I have found that with a low firearms skill, aiming for the legs is the best choice.  As your firearms skill goes up, you will be able to shoot weapons out of the targets' hands and perform head shots.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2007, 04:32:37 PM »

How far away are you from the enemies.  Guns all have varying ranges... you aren't going to drop a guy at 200m with a pistol like you can in some other open world games like Saints Row etc...  Also watch your targeting reticule, it will shrink as you get a better lock on your enemy.  Crouching helps accuracy as well, and higher firearms skill makes a big improvement.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2007, 04:40:12 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 23, 2007, 03:50:04 PM

Quote from: Chaz on February 23, 2007, 03:45:33 PM

That's right.  I have found that with a low firearms skill, aiming for the legs is the best choice.  As your firearms skill goes up, you will be able to shoot weapons out of the targets' hands and perform head shots.

Yep, I found that either crates of ammo to the chest or trying out different weapons for head/arm/leg shots was pretty effective.  If you want to build agility and firearms at the same time, get up high and pop folks in the head with the sniper rifle. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2007, 05:05:46 PM »

Also keep in mind you can use that area-specific targetting for vehicles as well.  Lock on with the left trigger, then use the right stick to choose the tires or gas cap.  Whee!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2007, 05:17:37 PM »

I didn't know about the area specific targeting and wondered about those little icons that appear next to health bars meant.  of course if I had bothered to read the manual before hand I'd probably have known....

I'm loving this game.  With my strength and agility maxed out I feel like the Tick leaping rooftop to rooftop.  I've wiped out the first gang and have been taking on the second and third gang simultaneously (so far I've got 2 of each defeated).  I went over into Wangs territory and got the nice rocket launcher they have, plus that's where I almost maxed out my agility with the '3rd rank' orbs littered about.

Last night I ascended the Keep and got 2 achievments associated with getting up top and jumping off (surviving the fall probably helped).  I was hoping there'd be more up top but I didn't see anything and I don't plan on going back up-  I was getting a real feel of vertigo as I ascended and the path to the top wasn't very clear at some points.

I may try some co-op, but for the game I'm on I turned it off and I don't know if turning it on will reset the game, especially since I don't see an option for saving multiple games at once.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2007, 05:38:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 23, 2007, 05:17:37 PM

Last night I ascended the Keep and got 2 achievments associated with getting up top and jumping off (surviving the fall probably helped).  I was hoping there'd be more up top but I didn't see anything and I don't plan on going back up- 

Well there are 3 rooftop races that will make you go up to the top if you decide to complete those....  They really weren't hard I think they were less than 5 min

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2007, 05:41:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 23, 2007, 05:17:37 PM

I didn't know about the area specific targeting and wondered about those little icons that appear next to health bars meant.  of course if I had bothered to read the manual before hand I'd probably have known....

Even in the manual it's not stated very boldly for as important as it is.  You'd think Mr. Disembodied Tutorial Voice would mention it at some point, since he seems so desperate for a friend.

I know the Gamespot review knocked the game for having the driving mechanics be a bit rough until you gain the skillpoints, but I'm really liking it as a feature.  With 5 skills each broken down into 5 advancement levels (from zero to 4 stars) it would be easy for some of the skill gains to seem hard to notice.  Even in the beginning, though, you can instantly notice a difference with each upgrade.  In the case of the driving, it's great to have a noticeable increase in control & speed--and I didn't find the zero star skill level to be too clumsy, it's just rough enough to give you an incentive to improve.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2007, 06:00:50 PM »

+1 to pug's comments.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2007, 06:20:12 PM »

Quote from: jblank on February 23, 2007, 03:47:31 PM

No achievements in Battlestations: Midway and now no understanding of targeting?

jblank is no good at games  nod  Tongue
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2007, 06:28:44 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 23, 2007, 06:20:12 PM

No achievements in Battlestations: Midway and now no understanding of targeting?

I feel a custom tag comin' on.   icon_twisted  j/k

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2007, 07:09:19 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 23, 2007, 06:20:12 PM

Now thats not really fair. I'm fine at games, but I am the type of person that doesn't go hardcore into a new game, for day upon day upon day. I played Crackdown for 45 minutes or so and that probably has more to do with my "issues" with the game. When I do sit down with it and decide to play it religiously, I will figure out the best thing to do.

With regards to Battlestations: Midway, I am way over what I originally was in achievements, and again, my problem was that I wasn't focusing on THAT game. This week however, I went gonzo on it, and got into the intracacies of the game. NOW, I have a better feel for it, and my enjoyment and understanding of the game has taken off.

I just now started playing Star Trek Legacy seriously, and I STILL have Perfect Dark Zero and GRAW that I have barely touched, so as you can see, sometimes its just time that I need, rather than a skills type thing.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2007, 03:00:44 AM »

Another small detail that is a huge improvement over GTA for me is the fact that the cars you leave around stay there for a long time.  I jumped a car into the pond near the carnival area and then went around grabbing all the Agility orbs at the carnival and beach and just screwing around for a while.  When I was done with that I jacked a new car and started driving by that pond and my old car was still in there, like 20 minutes later! 

I always detested how just turning around would make cars disappear in GTA, even in the PC versions.

Also, is there some easier way to get Driving skill points?  Completing the races don't seem to give jack squat, especially considering they take so damn long and I end up running over civilians which slows down progress in that skill.  I guess the only other thing to do is slowly back up, turn and go forward over and over again trying to run some gang members over. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 03:07:40 AM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2007, 03:27:43 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 24, 2007, 03:00:44 AM

Also, is there some easier way to get Driving skill points?  Completing the races don't seem to give jack squat, especially considering they take so damn long and I end up running over civilians which slows down progress in that skill.  I guess the only other thing to do is slowly back up, turn and go forward over and over again trying to run some gang members over. 

It's relatively easy in my mind to run over people. Just get yourself near one of the boss areas and use an Agency car to run over them until you get bored.

I hear you can do stunts in your car (find a nice spot to launch your car and flip it in the process) for points, too. Haven't tried that way though.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2007, 08:33:18 AM »

well, killed the last boss with everything but driving and firearms maxed out.  The ending was kinda interesting, but for now I've got too many other games to play to worry about 'achievements' and 'gamerscore' to go back and try everything.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2007, 08:48:20 AM »

Another small detail that is a huge improvement over GTA for me is the fact that the cars you leave around stay there for a long time.  I jumped a car into the pond near the carnival area and then went around grabbing all the Agility orbs at the carnival and beach and just screwing around for a while.  When I was done with that I jacked a new car and started driving by that pond and my old car was still in there, like 20 minutes later! 

I always detested how just turning around would make cars disappear in GTA, even in the PC versions.

I said that samething just today. but then I quickly remembered GTA had a very active AI. You left a car alone and it would get jacked, hell they will even pull you out of the car and jack you in GTA. I cant remember have a car disappear like that in GTA: SA, which I am assuming you are talking about.
So to compare Crackdown to GTA in that way is an overstatement. I would simply call it a Convince in Crackdown.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2007, 01:47:13 PM »

My narrator is starting to lose it.  I climbed the Agency tower, and he said "Look at that, Agent!  Finest view in the city!"  With a 360 degree panorama of all the islands, I couldn't agree more, what a nice little sound bite they programmed in!

And then a few minutes later, I jumped on top of a small gas station that I've repeatedly stood on since the start of the game.  ""Look at that, Agent!  Finest view in the city!"  Well, I guess it's a nice view of that strip club across the street?

A bit later when I was trying to grab an agility orb on a pipe, I accidentally fell into the water in some industrial area.  "Look at that, Agent!  Finest view in the city!"  Err...

The last straw was when I was attacking a boss and I needed to find some cover to recharge.  I duck into this small windowless room, and sure enough:  "Look at that, Agent!  Finest view in the city!"

This guy needs a vacation!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2007, 01:51:29 PM »

Quote from: juniordan on February 25, 2007, 08:48:20 AM

I said that samething just today. but then I quickly remembered GTA had a very active AI. You left a car alone and it would get jacked, hell they will even pull you out of the car and jack you in GTA. I cant remember have a car disappear like that in GTA: SA, which I am assuming you are talking about.

Huh? While I never played the GTA games all that much, I never remember somebody taking your car back after you've stolen it. I do remember constantly though of simply turning around and all the cars behind me outright vanishing when I turned the other way.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2007, 01:56:19 PM »

This game just plain rocks.  I started playing last night with plans to just play for about an hour and realized 3 hours later that I should go to bed.  It's a very simple game in that there aren't a ton of missions with story or anything (other than the back story they give for the bosses and gangs), which something like GTA would have.  Still, I am enjoying it much more than I did GTA because of how fun the game is.  I think the big plusses for me are:

1) A sandbox game where I am not a criminal
2) Finding create ways to interact with the world
3) Looking for hidden orbs and agility orbs
4) Rooftop races (I haven't done a car race yet, so those could be fun)
5) Evolving your agent and feeling like a super badass

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2007, 02:20:33 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 25, 2007, 01:51:29 PM

Huh? While I never played the GTA games all that much, I never remember somebody taking your car back after you've stolen it. I do remember constantly though of simply turning around and all the cars behind me outright vanishing when I turned the other way.

Oh yeah, I don't know if it was just in the recent ones, but sometimes after you pulled someone out of their car and closed the door, if you didn't drive away they'd open the door again and pull you out.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2007, 03:31:23 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 25, 2007, 02:20:33 PM

Oh yeah, I don't know if it was just in the recent ones, but sometimes after you pulled someone out of their car and closed the door, if you didn't drive away they'd open the door again and pull you out.

Now that I remember.

So, as far as the game goes...WTF is with that ending? I won't go into any specifics here due to spoilers, but... WTF?

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2007, 04:36:45 PM »

yeah,lol,the ending is ...WTF??

so,it took me about 7-8 hrs(altogether)...okay i have only got half the achievements,i will get them later...but i wish it was longer,and had a bit more story to it...but nothing beats being levelled up jumping from city roof to city roof

now i can concentrate on final fantasy 12...i cant believe i have only put 9 hrs into that crybaby

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2007, 08:07:43 PM »

An amusing story: At one point a couple of gangers and a couple of police were fighting.  Each group had brought a car.  In the middle of the fight, the gangers stole the police car, and then the police took the gangers car!

Of course the rest of the story is then I killed everyone.   ninja

Pikachu, I Blame you!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2007, 08:22:15 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 25, 2007, 02:20:33 PM

Yeah, I have had the cops pull me out of my car after I've run over a few too many civilians, but I don't think I've ever had a gang member or civilian do that after I've stolen their car.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: