http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 09:29:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gamespot Drops a 7.8 on Crackdown  (Read 13823 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2007, 07:53:07 PM »

The Good: Great-looking city; exciting abilities that get better as you play; satisfying explosions.
The Bad: Driving is lame until you max out your skills; co-op feels half baked; not enough content to keep you busy for long

emphasis mine

Though a 7.8 by GS is within my range of purchase, this game moved from mild interest to no thanks.  Only the forum effect can save it now.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 07:54:49 PM »

Yeah, I'm not surprised with all the mixed reactions the demo received. I still haven't tried the demo but I'm glad the game isn't scoring 9's and higher across the board because then I'd really want it. Right now I'm nursing a serious addiction to Vanguard and I just don't have time for my Xbox. I still haven't even unwrapped Rogue Galaxy.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 08:01:20 PM »

sounds about right to me, the game isn't very special at all. After about 45 minutes or so you start to see the gameplay crumble. It will still outsell almost all previous 360 titles for the Halo 3 beta alone.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 08:21:13 PM »

I wasn't at all impressed with the demo, finding the gameplay to be pretty "been-there-done-that-before-only-better," I wasn't fond of the graphical style, and I expected the reviews to fall into the mediocre range.  I had no intentions of picking this up, and with the reviews being about what I expected I think I can get by without this title, unless the GT forum effect gets its claws into me as the OO effect did with The Godfather (which I am loving despite the sub-par review scores).  At least my wallet is safe for now.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 08:23:05 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on February 14, 2007, 08:21:13 PM

I wasn't at all impressed with the demo, finding the gameplay to be pretty "been-there-done-that-before-only-better," I wasn't fond of the graphical style, and I expected the reviews to fall into the mediocre range.  I had no intentions of picking this up, and with the reviews being about what I expected I think I can get by without this title, unless the GT forum effect gets its claws into me as the OO effect did with The Godfather (which I am loving despite the sub-par review scores).  At least my wallet is safe for now.

Sub-par?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 08:25:34 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on February 14, 2007, 08:23:05 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on February 14, 2007, 08:21:13 PM

Sub-par?

Yes.  I consider any reviews with a rating below 80% sub-par.

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 08:26:28 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on February 14, 2007, 08:01:20 PM

sounds about right to me, the game isn't very special at all. After about 45 minutes or so you start to see the gameplay crumble. It will still outsell almost all previous 360 titles for the Halo 3 beta alone.

I'm having a great time with the demo, but I do wonder whether my enthusiasm will last for the entire length of the game.  With the accelerated skill progression in the demo, I'm not sure if I'll be frustrated at having to work slowly to get to the same effectiveness.

I did have a fantastically good time playing co-op yesterday though - racing from the base of the Agency tower to the very peak (I think it's the 'Leap of Faith' agility race) and then shoving my friend off the top?

That's some fun.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 08:28:23 PM »

Liked the demo and plan to play on coop but other than that this is a H3 beta purchase with with a $20 game

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 08:54:33 PM »

That feels about right after my time with the demo.  At first it was great but sort of tapered off.  This game is no longer a day-one purchase and has moved to the wait-and-see column.  I wasn't all that impressed with the graphical style either.  For now I'll just go back to the superb Saints Row if I want some free roaming gameplay.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 09:36:54 PM »

I'm sure this will be a great game for many people, but the idea that the story is almost non-existant and the game is pure sandbox is an instant turnoff for me.  I liked how GTA actually balanced the two quite well.  Maybe I'll grab it when it's $20. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 10:42:07 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on February 14, 2007, 07:54:49 PM

Yeah, I'm not surprised with all the mixed reactions the demo received. I still haven't tried the demo but I'm glad the game isn't scoring 9's and higher across the board because then I'd really want it. Right now I'm nursing a serious addiction to Vanguard and I just don't have time for my Xbox. I still haven't even unwrapped Rogue Galaxy.

I am not surprised either. Its clearly the type of game that could get old or repetitive very quickly, so I am not at all shocked we are seeing a disparity in review scores. Like you, I have too many games to play and am nursing my own serious addiction to FF12. I really just cant be bothered to pick it up right now.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 10:49:42 PM »

I totally called this...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 11:51:25 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 14, 2007, 10:49:42 PM

I totally called this...

I think you're confusing yourself with me.

Most disappointing game(s) of the year: Fable 2, Crackdown (tie)

icon_wink
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 12:15:34 AM »

I totally called this...

So we are saying that Crackdown is a bad game a week before it comes out because 1 review site gave it a 7.8?  I could say that 1Up gave it an 8, IGN an 8, EGM an 8.3, and EGM an 8.3 to prove that it must be a good game.  But I am going to do someting crazy and actually play the game before passing judgement on it.  I will say that I put more time into the Crackdown demo than any other demo I have downloaded from Live.  Does that mean it will be a good full game?  I don't know.  But I am not writing it off based on 1 review from Gamespot.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 12:16:01 AM »

<shrug> not dissapointed at all.  Figure I'll have fun playing co-op and randomly jumping/shooting/running over/grenading/etc. things periodically.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 03:28:10 AM »

I'm not sure I would call this a most disappointing game of the year.  It's currently sitting at 84% at GameRankings and for me that is certainly an acceptable level.  I never expected this to set the world on fire, I am just looking for a fun game.  From what I played of the demo there is a pretty damn good chance it will be that for me.   

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 03:36:56 AM »

Don't get me wrong I still intend to rent this sucker early next month when the backlog clears up.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 03:59:08 AM »

IN.

I couldn't stand some of the scripted events that reset EVERY EFFEN PROGRESS you make in GTA.  finger

biggrin I will be your guinea pig. And no, CK, don't get excited. I didn't say gerbil.  icon_twisted

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 06:41:31 AM »

i liked the demo,thought it was fun,and it seems like it has a big enough playspace

OXM gave it a 9,and other reviews i have seen for it gave it from 80-90%

just goes to show that the best reviewer for a game is you........everyone elses review,just gives you an idea...but the only way you will know for certain is if play the game

and 7.8 isnt that bad...magazine here gave final fantasy 3 a 78% score...and i know a few of you guys have been enjoying that

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 01:29:47 PM »

Wanton destruction.  It should be good for the same reason Dead Rising was - its great to just blow shit up after a hard days work.  Same with running zombies over with a lawnmower.  Theraputic.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 03:34:44 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 15, 2007, 01:29:47 PM

Wanton destruction.  It should be good for the same reason Dead Rising was - its great to just blow shit up after a hard days work.  Same with running zombies over with a lawnmower.  Theraputic.

Exactly. I'm picking it up (and more than likely playing a co-op game as well on the side) for that same reason.

I doubt I'll even play the Halo 3 multiplayer beta. I never liked Halo online.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 06:09:20 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 15, 2007, 12:15:34 AM

I totally called this...

So we are saying that Crackdown is a bad game a week before it comes out because 1 review site gave it a 7.8?  I could say that 1Up gave it an 8, IGN an 8, EGM an 8.3, and EGM an 8.3 to prove that it must be a good game.  But I am going to do someting crazy and actually play the game before passing judgement on it.  I will say that I put more time into the Crackdown demo than any other demo I have downloaded from Live.  Does that mean it will be a good full game?  I don't know.  But I am not writing it off based on 1 review from Gamespot.

I'm merely passing judgement based on my experience with the demo.  Since I didn't like the demo, and the reviews haven't said anything to convince me that my lack of enjoyment of the demo was completely unfounded, I just don't feel the need to pick this up.  You apparently enjoyed it more than I did and plan to pick up the game.  That's cool.  I just wasn't impressed with the demo and the reviews aren't really convincing me otherwise. 

However, I have been known to fall victim to the OO and GT forum effects, so if the OO or GT population likes this game, then it could very well find its way into my backlog.  I value what you all think far more than reviewers, as I consider real-world impressions so much more accurate as it's the public weighing in rather than some reviewer.   

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 06:18:46 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on February 15, 2007, 06:09:20 PM

I totally called this...

I'm merely passing judgement based on my experience with the demo.  Since I didn't like the demo, and the reviews haven't said anything to convince me that my lack of enjoyment of the demo was completely unfounded, I just don't feel the need to pick this up.  You apparently enjoyed it more than I did and plan to pick up the game.  That's cool.  I just wasn't impressed with the demo and the reviews aren't really convincing me otherwise. 

However, I have been known to fall victim to the OO and GT forum effects, so if the OO or GT population likes this game, then it could very well find its way into my backlog.  I value what you all think far more than reviewers, as I consider real-world impressions so much more accurate as it's the public weighing in rather than some reviewer.   

Yea!  Screw them reviewers!  slywink

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 06:21:21 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 15, 2007, 06:18:46 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on February 15, 2007, 06:09:20 PM

I totally called this...

However, I have been known to fall victim to the OO and GT forum effects, so if the OO or GT population likes this game, then it could very well find its way into my backlog.  I value what you all think far more than reviewers, as I consider real-world impressions so much more accurate as it's the public weighing in rather than Knightshade Dragon, since he's one of them.   

Yea!  Screw them reviewers!  slywink

Edited to correct my mistake.

You review games?  Next you're going to tell me there's some kind of GamingTrend front page or some nonsense.   icon_wink

Plus, you take too long.  PLAY FASTER!

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2007, 06:52:58 PM »

Man I wish I did have Crackdown to review, but I've not gotten it yet.  I DO have God of War II and Guitar Hero II though.  Expect reviews for those pups shortly. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2007, 07:02:58 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 15, 2007, 06:52:58 PM

Man I wish I did have Crackdown to review, but I've not gotten it yet.  I DO have God of War II and Guitar Hero II though.  Expect reviews for those pups shortly. smile

I guess I have to take your reviews at least somewhat seriously, being that you earned a bit of street cred with your recognition of The Godfather as being a bit better than other reviewers suggested.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2007, 07:33:53 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on February 15, 2007, 07:02:58 PM

I guess I have to take your reviews at least somewhat seriously, being that you earned a bit of street cred with your recognition of The Godfather as being a bit better than other reviewers suggested.

Bah, thats all Keith.  You can still think I'm a bottomfeeder. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2007, 03:55:13 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 15, 2007, 07:33:53 PM

Just trying to do the site proud.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2007, 07:45:48 PM »

Any other GT impressions?  This had moved over to the "wait for bargain bin" category for me, but since the folks at Qt3 and Bill Harris are going gaga over it, I was wondering if it might not be so bad after all.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »

I haven't posted any impressions as I'm waiting for a true impression thread. biggrin

But in short - the game is a ton of fun to play, but it's gonna be a short one unless you have fun going for the Achievements. Killing people is fun (the rocket launcher and a high explosives skill is WAY too much fun), jumping around the city is a blast, and overall it's a lot of fun. Co-op is decently done (both players don't have to be anywhere near each other), but you have to 'reload' the map if somebody decides to join.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2007, 09:12:35 PM »

Quote from: Graham on February 16, 2007, 03:55:13 AM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 15, 2007, 07:33:53 PM

Just trying to do the site proud.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2007, 09:26:09 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 21, 2007, 08:35:00 PM

I haven't posted any impressions as I'm waiting for a true impression thread. biggrin

But in short - the game is a ton of fun to play, but it's gonna be a short one unless you have fun going for the Achievements. Killing people is fun (the rocket launcher and a high explosives skill is WAY too much fun), jumping around the city is a blast, and overall it's a lot of fun. Co-op is decently done (both players don't have to be anywhere near each other), but you have to 'reload' the map if somebody decides to join.

Short is dissapointing for an open-city type game frown
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2007, 09:36:24 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 21, 2007, 09:26:09 PM

Quote from: Destructor on February 21, 2007, 08:35:00 PM

Short is dissapointing for an open-city type game frown

I am loving it so far.  Granted I have only played for about 2 hours.  I like not being led around by a story and being able to tackle the bosses in the order I choose.  Also the things you normally do in GTA just for fun are actually beneficial to you in that you level up your skills.  "Grinding" in Crackdown consists of running car races, killing random gangs, and exploring the city for ability orbs.  I think it will clock in at around 10 hours.  Plus another 10 to play through it in co-op.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2007, 09:59:24 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 21, 2007, 09:36:24 PM

"Grinding" in Crackdown consists of running car races, killing random gangs, and exploring the city for ability orbs.  I think it will clock in at around 10 hours.  Plus another 10 to play through it in co-op.

I love the 'grinding' in this game due to exactly what it entails in this game. biggrin

And one big problem I've seen so far - I can't figure out how to create another 'world' for co-op play (yes, dropping back to the title screen to choose another character picture and/or change the difficulty). Does the world 'reset' once you win? If not...how do you keep killing baddies? And how do you allow a second person to play the game without playing your character and in your world?

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2007, 10:08:09 PM »

Short is fine.  Since most of my time in these types of games is spent on just running around and causing mayhem for short periods after the initial bursts of playing, I like the idea of being able to have the whole city and a powered up character after a relatively short time period.  It always bugged me that a big chunk of the GTA games was locked for a good chunk of the game, and you had to play for quite a while to gain access to the cool stuff.

Just let me jump over buildings and throw trucks on people!

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2007, 12:24:24 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 21, 2007, 09:59:24 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on February 21, 2007, 09:36:24 PM

"Grinding" in Crackdown consists of running car races, killing random gangs, and exploring the city for ability orbs.  I think it will clock in at around 10 hours.  Plus another 10 to play through it in co-op.

I love the 'grinding' in this game due to exactly what it entails in this game. biggrin

And one big problem I've seen so far - I can't figure out how to create another 'world' for co-op play (yes, dropping back to the title screen to choose another character picture and/or change the difficulty). Does the world 'reset' once you win? If not...how do you keep killing baddies? And how do you allow a second person to play the game without playing your character and in your world?

10 hours is pretty accurate.  I just took out the last guy and saw the ending.  Now I have a sandbox to play in with no bad guys. frown   Review will be hitting soon. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2007, 12:55:19 AM »

Im loving it, I had a great time with Ron yesterday playing Co-op thats almost worth the price of admission alone.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2007, 01:43:55 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 22, 2007, 12:24:24 AM

10 hours is pretty accurate.  I just took out the last guy and saw the ending.  Now I have a sandbox to play in with no bad guys. frown   Review will be hitting soon. smile

So there's no way to 'reset' the world with your pumped-up character? What a load of crap.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2007, 01:46:08 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 22, 2007, 01:43:55 AM

So there's no way to 'reset' the world with your pumped-up character? What a load of crap.

Ahhh poo that is dissapointing.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2007, 02:14:41 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 22, 2007, 01:46:08 AM

Quote from: Destructor on February 22, 2007, 01:43:55 AM

Ahhh poo that is dissapointing.

Wait, you sure about this?  I thought for sure that I had heard you gain the ability to toggle crime on and off after you beat all the kingpins.  The kingpins don't come back, but you can refight them in some other bonus game mode.

edit: Here's something someone said:

To the person who said there's no one to kill: Once you beat it, go back to the title screen, and load your game again. It gives you the option to turn on "crime," which essentially means the gangs are back, only without their gang bosses.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: