http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 06:10:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gamespot 360/PS3 Graphics comparison  (Read 2785 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2006, 10:07:06 PM »

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162742/index.html?tag=topslot;title;1&om_act=convert&click=topslot

Not exactly sure how they did their testing, but it was interesting to see the differences between each system. Not tied directly to this article, but somewhere, somewhen (I'm too lazy to investigate) I mentioned how some developers were stating that in multi-platform ports, the advantage this time would go to the 360 due to its higher user base and easier development tools. Last generation most games were ported PS2 to Xbox. This time it will be Xbox 360 to PS3. I'm curious to see if the longer load times, missing graphics, and slightly poorer implementation of AA experienced on the PS3 will be a continuing trend during this generation, or if developers need more time to work with the PS3's more difficult platform. As always, the answer will probably fall somewhere in the middle.

I'm sure many xbox owners distinctly recall the pain of seeing a PS2 port actually play/look worse on their superior xbox system. I still remember how excited I was when I got Metal Gear for the Xbox, only to discover the PS2 version played far better. Sony may end up feeling the pain this time around.

Of course, since I'll eventually own all three systems I'll just pivot depending on which port is best.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 10:12:50 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 10:10:34 PM »

Oh this thread should be fun....

I'm staying out of it. Let the PS3 bashing commence!  Bring your own!

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 10:13:56 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 06, 2006, 10:10:34 PM

Why bash the PS3? Is someone actually going to say that the PS3 hardware can't compete with the 360? This is more about developers than systems.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 10:24:27 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on December 06, 2006, 10:13:56 PM

Why bash the PS3? Is someone actually going to say that the PS3 hardware can't compete with the 360? This is more about developers than systems.
I will own a PS3, so when and if I say negative comments about the PS3, its not to bash it, period. As for this comparison, I dont really care. I have one barometer of the graphical comparisons between the systems-what developers tell me. I have enough info so far to know that right now the PS3 is not as powerful as the 360 due to programming advances on the 360 hardware. When that changes and I see better looking games on the PS3, I am sure the devs will be singing different tunes.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 10:27:19 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on December 06, 2006, 10:13:56 PM

Fair enough, on that I agree with you. I think developers are, for now, targeting the 360 and then porting to the PS3, that may change if/when the PS3 surpasses the 360 in sales....but for now, that is the way that it is. I do remember the pain of Xbox ports being inferior to the PS2 version. In fact, I was upset that they kept targeting the lowest system for the base game. This time, it's reversed. The Xbox machine is the lower spec machine. They are designing for DVD instead of Blu-Ray. No hard drive vs standard hard drive etc....

Oh well. I really hope that the PS3 exclusive games shine. If Motorstorm and Heavenly Sword are any indication....they should!

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 10:30:22 PM »

Hmm it seems that the main difference is that the 360 graphics look a bit more washed out with the lighting...  I'm sure the full power of the PS3 over the 360 won't really be noticable until it has been established for 6 months to a year...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 10:46:59 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 06, 2006, 10:30:22 PM

Hmm it seems that the main difference is that the 360 graphics look a bit more washed out with the lighting...  I'm sure the full power of the PS3 over the 360 won't really be noticable until it has been established for 6 months to a year...
Ok are you looking at the same pictures? To a picture (I mean 99% of them), the PS3 version looks considerably more washed out. Make sure the picture that is washed out is actually the 360 picture, you might have them reversed.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 11:55:38 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on December 06, 2006, 10:07:06 PM

Last generation most games were ported PS2 to Xbox. This time it will be Xbox 360 to PS3. I'm curious to see if the longer load times, missing graphics, and slightly poorer implementation of AA experienced on the PS3 will be a continuing trend during this generation, or if developers need more time to work with the PS3's more difficult platform. As always, the answer will probably fall somewhere in the middle.

I'm sure many xbox owners distinctly recall the pain of seeing a PS2 port actually play/look worse on their superior xbox system. I still remember how excited I was when I got Metal Gear for the Xbox, only to discover the PS2 version played far better. Sony may end up feeling the pain this time around

huh???  I think you've got that backwards dude

I don't know about Metal Gear, but I do know that like 95+% of other ports looked and played better on the xbox1 rather than the PS2.  I don't think I've ever heard anyone else say otherwise

<edit>  ok well now I see Hetz says that PS2 games played better than their xbox counterparts too.  I really don't understand that, that was not my experiences at all.  in fact I'm looking at my xbox1 game collection right now, and every multi-platform game in it plays better than the PS2 version.  all sports games play better on the xbox1, and that makes up a very large number of all ports.  Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance.  Mercenaries.  SSX 3.  Soul Calibur 2.  X-Men Legends.  they all are better on the xbox1
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 12:00:56 AM by KePoW » Logged
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 01:08:41 AM »

Based on those shots, the Xbox360 is graphically superior.  Seems to me, the Xbox360 has a far better lighting engine than the PS3 just by looking at those shots. Also the fuzzy and washed out look on the PS3 is pretty alarming.

Looks like it will come down to the games and exclusives on which console will win, because graphically, the Xbox360 looks better, but the PS3 may close that gap, and if they do, like I said, its going to come down to the games.. 

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 01:20:41 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on December 07, 2006, 01:08:41 AM

Based on those shots, the Xbox360 is graphically superior.  Seems to me, the Xbox360 has a far better lighting engine than the PS3 just by looking at those shots. Also the fuzzy and washed out look on the PS3 is pretty alarming.

Looks like it will come down to the games and exclusives on which console will win, because graphically, the Xbox360 looks better, but the PS3 may close that gap, and if they do, like I said, its going to come down to the games.. 

That isn't fair though. The PS3 has launch games only to go off of. We need at least a year to determine anything.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 01:22:10 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on December 06, 2006, 11:55:38 PM

I don't know about Metal Gear, but I do know that like 95+% of other ports looked and played better on the xbox1 rather than the PS2.  I don't think I've ever heard anyone else say otherwise

There weren't many that were better on PS2 than Xbox, but Metal Gears Solid 2 was indeed one of them.  NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 was a helluva lot better on PS2 but that had more to do with the fact that an entirely different developer did the PS2 version than did the game for other platforms.  Some EA games were sort of a wash- SSX 3 and Burnout 3 had some additional visual effects on PS2 that weren't present in the Xbox version. 
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 01:30:42 AM »

My only wonder is why is the player on the far right in the first shot of NBA 2K7 completely bald on the 360 but the same player (note tattoo on arm) has a full head of hair on the PS3?   

Does the PS3 do hair better?

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 01:50:05 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on December 07, 2006, 01:30:42 AM

My only wonder is why is the player on the far right in the first shot of NBA 2K7 completely bald on the 360 but the same player (note tattoo on arm) has a full head of hair on the PS3?   

Does the PS3 do hair better?

You got it backwards, he has hair in the 360 version.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 04:52:42 AM »

Eh, this just compares image quality. It doesn't take into account the frame rate hiccups on the PS3 version's of some of these games.

Really? I was thinking the opposite, the PS3 images seemed brighter in most cases.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 04:57:06 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 05:51:00 AM »

It says that the 360 shot is the default. Mouse over for the PS3.  If that is indeed the case, then the 360 images look washed out. not the ps3.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 06:15:30 AM »

Wow.  That last picture for Tony Hawk is stunningly different between 360 and PS3. 

And the differences in screenies for Fight Night was pretty crazy.

The developers just know how to work with the 360 more so than the PS3.  Because the PS3 shots look worse overall.  Just for now, of course.

**edited to add**

GameSpot's got it right - this really isn't the time for graphical comparison.  Let's do this again next year and see what happens.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 08:19:26 AM »

Yep, not the time for a graphics comparison.  The PS3 is a very different architecture than the 360, and frankly if something is ported from one system to another, usually the system it came from will look better.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 12:45:19 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 07, 2006, 04:52:42 AM

Eh, this just compares image quality. It doesn't take into account the frame rate hiccups on the PS3 version's of some of these games.

Really? I was thinking the opposite, the PS3 images seemed brighter in most cases.

Brighter isn't necessarily better, or more accurate to the true color and contrast of the game though. As a matter of fact, on the CoD 3 shots, that extra brightness seems to come with a loss of detail, which is often the case on video or TV images as well. Often times it causes a rather steep drop in overall detail. Check out the VGA shots vs Component shots in my thread on the latest XBL patch, notice how the extra contrast and brightness on VGA washes the image out.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 02:06:11 PM »

The difference is negligable at best, in most cases I prefered the default 360 image better.. If the PS3's next series of games dont display significant improvements over the 360... its  not good for the ps3 AT ALL. As a maniac hardcore gamer, I see NO NEED to get a PS3 this holiday season, and with Sony letting their exclusives slip away.... they will lose massive amounts of market share,

I have said it before and I will say it again, a lost of 25% market share is massive.

I see this generation ending with Sony in the lead with a 40% market share to -30% 360-30% Nintendo. that is a MASSIVE loss of ground, yeah they will win, but it will be a loss.

DAMN, you would think Sony would have learned from Nintendo that dominance is not garaunteed by brand name.....

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 02:40:10 PM »

As a maniac hardcore gamer, I see NO NEED to get a PS3 this holiday season

Really??? I had no idea!  eek

I thought the 10 other times you have said this you were joking!  Tongue

BTW, in another news flash, I like my PS3 and think it is well worth the money.  saywhat

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 02:54:21 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 07, 2006, 05:51:00 AM

It says that the 360 shot is the default. Mouse over for the PS3.  If that is indeed the case, then the 360 images look washed out. not the ps3.

On nearly every one of the PS3 shots, the gamma is noticeably higher than on the 360 shots and looks quite "washed out" in comparison to the 360 shots.

What I found interesting is that, based on this comparison article, I'd say that half the time I preferred the 360's rendering of a scene, and the other half the time I preferred the PS3's. I also think that in some of the shots, the editors claim that the PS3 textures look less detailed (Call of Duty 3 was the one in particular that I'm thinking of here) but in fact they weren't: the higher gamma correction was just washing out the lighter colors more and making the textures appear to be less detailed.

Definitely noticed that in some cases the PS3 had blurrier edges but I think that was from a different approach to antialiasing than the 360 may have been using (NFS Carbon in particular here). I generally preferred the 360's lighting, except in instances where the bloom/HDR was overboard (Fight Night 3 looked better on the PS3 shots imo).

I'd say it was 50/50. Which doesn't surprise me given the architecture of the systems. They're surprisingly similar in capabilities, and I think we won't ever see quite as large a difference between them as so many people seem to think. Games that are built specifically for either of them will be phenomenally impressive.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 03:47:22 PM »

I tested a PS3 on a 46" DLP HDTV and a 360 on a 15" black and white CRT and the PS3 clearly looked better and has won this generation!

Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 03:54:49 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 07, 2006, 02:40:10 PM

Quote from: HankRaptor

BTW, in another news flash, I like my PS3 and think it is well worth the money.  saywhat

Why do you have to keep digging at people?

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 04:29:00 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on December 07, 2006, 03:54:49 PM

Quote from: HankRaptor

Why do you have to keep digging at people?

It was a joke. Heck, I even poked fun at myself as well.

Go start your drama somewhere else, please.

Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 04:38:09 PM »

You can notice a pretty big difference with some of the titles.  Look at theses two captures.  Notice how the 360 shot has more colors, a finer image and more detailed background?  The PS3 is still pretty damn impressive, but I think I'd gave to give the win to the Xbox.

But seriously, I think comparing ports isn't really the best way to go.  The PS3 is going to take time to get established and look its best.  I kind of think this is like the Nvidia vs ATI arguments.  At the end of the day, you're going to have some fine looking games with either hardware and each will have its nitpicks.  I love my 360 and I'm sticking with it, but I also think the PS3 has some pretty decent hardware and could easily give my console choice a run for its money.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 04:40:42 PM by Windows95 » Logged

16-bit and loving it!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 04:41:26 PM »

Quote from: Windows95 on December 07, 2006, 04:38:09 PM

You can notice a pretty big difference with some of the titles.  Look at theses two captures.  Notice how the 360 shot has more colors, a finer image and more detailed background?  The PS3 is still pretty damn impressive, but I think I'd gave to give the win to the Xbox.

But seriously, I think comparing ports isn't really the best way to go.  The PS3 is going to take time to get established and look its best.  I kind of think this is like the Nvidia vs ATI arguments.  At the end of the day, you're going to have some fine looking games with either hardware and each will have its nitpicks.  I love my 360 and I'm sticking with it, but I also think the PS3 has some pretty decent hardware and could easily give my console choice a run for its money.

icon_lol

Awesome post.  thumbsup

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006, 04:52:36 PM »

Hehe, nice one W95. 

Honestly though, I'm not sure what settings they are using, but my NSF doesn't look washed out like that.  Strange...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2006, 06:44:21 PM »

Honestly though, I'm not sure what settings they are using, but my NSF doesn't look washed out like that.  Strange...

Yeah I was gonna say, I've seen almost every PS3 game and none of them looked washed out.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2006, 07:19:58 PM »

Quote from: Lee on December 07, 2006, 01:20:41 AM

Quote from: Kobra on December 07, 2006, 01:08:41 AM

That isn't fair though. The PS3 has launch games only to go off of. We need at least a year to determine anything.

They should have compared the 360 launch games vs the ps3.   Imo, this console war will be decided by the end of 2007

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2006, 07:27:34 PM »

No, the news flash should be "Hetz buys everything as soon as it comes out and thinks its all great."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2006, 07:37:19 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on December 07, 2006, 07:27:34 PM

No, the news flash should be "Hetz buys everything as soon as it comes out and thinks its all great."

icon_lol

Not exactly true, but still funny. I ended up hating quite a few games that I have purchased right away and been excited for.

Lets see off the top of my head:

Dungeon Siege
Kingdom Hearts
Fable
Flight Simulator X
NFL Head Coach
Spellforce 2
Madden 06 (360 version)
NBA Live 07

There are many others, but you get the point.

Oh and I don't buy every game. I'll have you know that I passed on Star Wars Lethal Alliance for the PSP yesterday....so HA!  Tongue

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2006, 07:50:47 PM »

That is THE funniest post I've seen all year! Bravo!

You owe me a cup of coffee for the one that I just coughed out all over myself.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 07:55:42 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2006, 07:53:33 PM »

Most excellent but I think we need to see a shot of the Wii version to be sure...

nod
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2006, 08:09:59 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on December 07, 2006, 07:53:33 PM

Most excellent but I think we need to see a shot of the Wii version to be sure...

nod

Fixed:

16-bit and loving it!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2006, 08:10:59 PM »

Quote from: Windows95 on December 07, 2006, 08:09:59 PM

nod

Fixed:

Oh man, that is just perfect!
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2006, 08:26:27 PM »

Ok, you just made me actually laugh out loud there, Windows95. That was awesome. icon_lol

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2006, 08:28:17 PM »

And Hetz... I'm not picking on you, but I have to ask:

How can you be excited for Flight Simulator, buy it at launch, and end up hating it?  It's Flight Simulator. You should already know whether you're going to dig it or not, especially if you've played another edition of it in the past. And I don't know how you could have somehow never played Flight Simulator before.

:icon_eek:

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2006, 09:43:24 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on December 07, 2006, 08:28:17 PM

And Hetz... I'm not picking on you, but I have to ask:

How can you be excited for Flight Simulator, buy it at launch, and end up hating it?  It's Flight Simulator. You should already know whether you're going to dig it or not, especially if you've played another edition of it in the past. And I don't know how you could have somehow never played Flight Simulator before.

:icon_eek:

I didn't like it compared to FS9. It was not the leap they were claiming it would be....especially graphically. It looked like crap, but ran WORSE than FS9!  saywhat

Anyway, I guess hate was a strong word. I guess I was just disappointed. Maybe it will be better with DX10 and Vista. The rest of the games though....I really do HATE.  icon_smile

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2006, 09:44:48 PM »

Quote from: Windows95 on December 07, 2006, 08:09:59 PM

nod

Fixed:

AWESOME!  icon_lol

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2006, 10:38:03 PM »

Quote from: Windows95

Amusing.

Quote from: Windows95

Me laughing so hard the dogs are looking at me funny.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: