http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 05:36:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Games you wish you could get into but can't  (Read 1062 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2014, 08:56:04 PM »

Maybe they overwhelm you, take too much commitment, or perhaps you are afraid of trying them and sucking so hard that you feel dominated before you even try.   What are the games you wish you could get into, but haven't or won't for whatever reason?

Mine:

-- Eve Online
-- DOTA (1 or 2)
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 08:58:01 PM »

Almost any RPG. smile

Seriously when I see 50+ hours on a game I just put it aside. 

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 09:04:12 PM »

I keep eyeing Europa Universalis because it seems really really neat, but with my limited gaming time nowadays I have such big doubts about being able to ever get past the learning curve and get to the deeper stuff.

Likewise, I really enjoyed Demigod and the other more popular games in the genre (like DOTA) look really appealing... but I keep getting the impression that the game and the community are extremely unforgiving to people just starting out and getting over the learning curve.

Quote from: farley2k on January 31, 2014, 08:58:01 PM

Almost any RPG. smile

Seriously when I see 50+ hours on a game I just put it aside. 

My version of that would be "the second half of any RPG."  There are so many RPGs I really enjoy... until at some point it just feels too long or too grindy or too endless, and then I never get to see the endings.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 09:10:51 PM »

Blizzard games post-Warcraft II. I never was big on Diablo, but I really enjoyed the first two Warcrafts. I guess I used up all of RTS love on those, because I couldn't get into Warcraft III or the Starcrafts.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 09:12:38 PM »

God I can never get enough RPG, I finish them all!

I wish I could get into multiplayer for BF4 or COD. But all the talk of snotty teen players, cheaters, and dying repeatedly within seconds keep me away from it. ARMA as well.

I do intend to get into Crusader Kings at some point, but the tutorial was somewhat intimidating.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 09:25:14 PM »

Yeah i love RPGs and JRPGs,but for the love of me i just can't get into any of the Tales games

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 11:04:10 PM »

Metroid & Castlevania. Tried multiple games and just cannot enjoy them at all.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 11:09:15 PM »

The Civilization series, and not for lack of trying. I think I've tried every Civ game, and like a person beating their head against the wall and claiming that it hurts, I never learned my lesson. The closest I came to getting my money's worth was Civ 5 and I still bet I put in less than 15 hours.

I've read tutorials, watched videos. I love turn based titles and strategy titles. But something about this series has never clicked with me.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 12:02:55 AM »

Minecraft. I just don't get what the point is, much less the cult-like appeal.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 12:50:47 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on February 01, 2014, 12:02:55 AM

I never wished I could get into Minecraft. One screenshot of that pixelated blobby mess was enough for me. Kudos to the guy that made it for creating generational wealth though.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 01:10:36 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on February 01, 2014, 12:02:55 AM

The point can vary, depending on your interests.  It can be a Lego game, a survival-horror game, an RPG, an exploration game,  or any combination of the preceding, and it can be a multiplayer-based variant of any of those.

I haven't played in a long while, but I primarily liked to play it as an exploration RPG.  The random world generator was mind-bogglingly groundbreaking when it first came out.  The landscapes and caverns that got randomly made were as fun to explore as the even the best hand-made RPG dungeons.  The 'levelling up' came from trying to get better and better and better equipment, which meant I had to go deeper and deeper into the depths, which was more dangerous, which meant I needed better and better equipment.  It felt just like an RPG progression without an XP bar in sight.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 01:22:55 AM »

Any strategy  game.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 01:42:36 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on January 31, 2014, 08:56:04 PM

Maybe they overwhelm you, take too much commitment, or perhaps you are afraid of trying them and sucking so hard that you feel dominated before you even try.   What are the games you wish you could get into, but haven't or won't for whatever reason?

Mine:

-- Eve Online
-- DOTA (1 or 2)

Eve Online for me as well.  I've tried have a dozen times over the years and just cant do it. 

War in the Pacific  is another one for me.  I've bought two different versions.  The original and the admirals edition.    Just cant get past the time investment to learn it. 
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 02:38:49 AM »

Almost any Adventure Game.

They always sound so appealing, but end up never reeling me in.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 02:45:21 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 31, 2014, 09:25:14 PM

Yeah i love RPGs and JRPGs,but for the love of me i just can't get into any of the Tales games

This.  I've tried nearly every one of them, but they just don't click at all.  Same with the Persona/Shin Megami Tensai games.

I can never get into anything that's considered a "sandbox" game.  GTA, Just Cause, Saints Row, Far Cry, etc..  They always sound awesome, then I end up incredibly annoyed or frustrated with them.  Having a ton of flexibility on what to do and where to go is actually a detriment for me.  I much prefer a game that's tightly scripted.

I quickly lose interest in anything military-related, even if it's sci-fi.  If a game involves either a real marine or a space marine, chances are I won't enjoy it...even in genres I typically like.  I love stealth games, for example, but Splinter Cell does absolutely nothing for me.

Andrew Wonser

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 04:06:55 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 01, 2014, 02:45:21 AM

I can never get into anything that's considered a "sandbox" game.  GTA, Just Cause, Saints Row, Far Cry, etc..  They always sound awesome, then I end up incredibly annoyed or frustrated with them.  Having a ton of flexibility on what to do and where to go is actually a detriment for me.  I much prefer a game that's tightly scripted.

Have you tried to just stick to the main story line or is it the mere fact that you can wander off a distraction? If it from time to time, in some way, reminded you about the main line might it work better? Can remember Garnett Lee not liking games like Skyrim because he easily got distracted. I think he liked the open world but wanted the game to keep nudging him back to the main path. Which sort of defeats the point of being able to do as you please. Though he did like Red Dead Redemption.
Andrew Wonser

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 04:11:01 AM »

Quote from: Zekester on February 01, 2014, 02:38:49 AM

Because of the puzzles or just in general?

I know I prefer the inventory kind versus logic. Even then I usually resort to a walkthrough at points because I'm really there for the story first and foremost.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 06:29:01 AM »

Most sandbox games like GTA. I always get side tracked wanting to do too much and never finish.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 07:34:42 AM »

Backlog slaying.  It sounds great, but I'm convinced it's just not for me.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 08:36:51 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 01, 2014, 02:45:21 AM

This.  I've tried nearly every one of them, but they just don't click at all.  Same with the Persona/Shin Megami Tensai games.

ahh,the Persona games have been on my list for sometime

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2014, 11:30:10 AM »

Crusader Kings II, Europa Universalis, and the Football Manager series. I love the subject of the games and I can watch hour long tutorials on them which I thoroughly enjoy. Except then when I go to play the games, I just feel overwhelmed and lost. When I was in my 20s I would have spent hours reading manuals and figuring it out. The last 10 years, if I don't catch on quickly, I don't bother.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2014, 01:03:35 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Wonser on February 01, 2014, 04:11:01 AM

Because of the puzzles or just in general?

I know I prefer the inventory kind versus logic. Even then I usually resort to a walkthrough at points because I'm really there for the story first and foremost.

Ya, it's the puzzles.

The settings, story, and graphics always hook me to start....but then I get to the first nonsensical puzzle and give up.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2014, 02:49:27 PM »

Same here with: EVE Online. I actually played it for 3 months back in 2011.. and it was engrossing. The problem is that to truly get into EVE Online, you've to become committed to it. Play it every day, find a well-organized guild, train your skills for many months, become agressive about raising ISK (money) and resources. It's truly a 'massive' game.. But one you simply can't play casually. I left EVE to play League Of Legends... and that one has been my *ahem* addiction ever since.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2014, 02:55:23 PM »

EVE was a game I liked, but simply had no time to properly played it. Games that I can't truly get into:

--Halo
. I just don't get it's appeal. It just looks like another tired, sci-fish, futuristic FPS. Pass.
--Grand Theft Auto. It doesn't matter how well-made they are, I just think they're crime simulators.
--Pokemon. I've always seen the Pokemon series as RPGs for 12-year olds. Even tough many adults now play Pokemon, I just can't.
--Call Of Duty. Probably my top 'can't get into' game. I dislike military shooters. I think they're boring. The fact the franchise churns out a new one per year and it sells a gazillion copies just flies over my head.
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2014, 03:42:59 PM »

Does that go for the Gabriel Knight games too?  I love adventure games, but those stand out to this day. I include Grim Fandango and the Tim Schafer stuff in that list. Monkey Island for example.

I never liked text adventures, spent too much time trying to figure out how to get the Babel Fish in my ear. biggrin
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2014, 03:45:06 PM »

Dishonored. Maybe I am a bit burned out, but it is just not hooking me.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2014, 04:12:27 PM »

Quote from: sgoldj on February 01, 2014, 03:45:06 PM

I had the same problem with that game, I forced myself to at least finish the party level that everyone seems to go gaga about and haven't been back to it.  I really should just finish it at some point as I don't think there is much left.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2014, 04:45:31 PM »

Quote from: sgoldj on February 01, 2014, 03:42:59 PM

Does that go for the Gabriel Knight games too?  I love adventure games, but those stand out to this day. I include Grim Fandango and the Tim Schafer stuff in that list. Monkey Island for example.

I never liked text adventures, spent too much time trying to figure out how to get the Babel Fish in my ear. biggrin

I tried Grim Fandango, but gave up on it early. It seemed better than most.

I bought Dishonored a couple days after it was released, then promptly traded it while it was still worth something. It did nothing for me as well.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2014, 05:40:22 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on February 01, 2014, 04:12:27 PM

I had the same problem with that game, I forced myself to at least finish the party level that everyone seems to go gaga about and haven't been back to it.  I really should just finish it at some point as I don't think there is much left.

Now I don't feel so bad.  I really wanted to like that game and everybody was raving about it, but it just didn't hold my interest that long.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2014, 05:45:00 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 01, 2014, 05:40:22 PM

Quote from: forgeforsaken on February 01, 2014, 04:12:27 PM

Now I don't feel so bad.  I really wanted to like that game and everybody was raving about it, but it just didn't hold my interest that long.

While I like the game, I wind up taking loooong breaks between play sessions.  I think making massive, alternate path levels is a double-edged sword.  The possibilities are amazing, but also overwhelming and getting through one just takes too long (never mind that most missions require more than just one of these levels to complete).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2014, 10:01:48 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on February 01, 2014, 02:49:27 PM

Same here with: EVE Online. I actually played it for 3 months back in 2011.. and it was engrossing. The problem is that to truly get into EVE Online, you've to become committed to it. Play it every day, find a well-organized guild, train your skills for many months, become agressive about raising ISK (money) and resources. It's truly a 'massive' game.. But one you simply can't play casually. I left EVE to play League Of Legends... and that one has been my *ahem* addiction ever since.

I'm giving it another go.   Again.   Another one.   

We'll see how it turns out.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2014, 10:44:17 PM »

I used to hate open world games.  I'm very logical and task-oriented, so I like things laid out. Do this, do this, do this. I had no interest in goofing around, I wanted to see the story and beat the game.

Some great open world games chipped away at this bias (Oblivion, Red Dead Redemption, etc). Today I don't mind them at all and actually enjoy them a great deal. I still have yet to beat a GTA game though.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2014, 04:36:38 AM »

First person shooters - I get dizzy
Civilization and similar 4X games - they take too much time
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2014, 05:09:49 AM »

Last year I couldn't get into Grand Theft Auto 5 and The Last of Us

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2014, 06:15:17 AM »

just can't get into Farcry 3.  I want to like it, and I know how dumb this will sound, but the gameplay, or gunplay, is just too unrealistic. 
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2014, 09:13:24 AM »

Metal Gear Revengeance. I wanted to love it, but it just didn't grip me. A couple very hard bosses, coupled with a poor dodge mechanism, ruined it for me.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2014, 01:53:22 PM »

I guess I should add flight sims. I really want to like them, but it takes so long to learn how to fly. With my new rig I just dl'ed the free version of Rise of Flight. Tried for about an hr to get through the first lesson(flying in a straight line through rings) and still get in spins and crash repeatedly.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2014, 06:52:08 PM »

Like a few have mentioned large sandbox games are hard for me to move thru. Too many things pulling me in took my directions. Like em, just always lose steam and rarely finish em.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2014, 08:18:46 PM »

The newest Tomb Raider reboot, Last of Us, and now Bioshock: Infinite. I'm flabbergasted at the praise of them.

A new one
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2014, 08:24:50 PM »

Generally, RPGs and open world games (though I managed to get through GTA5, perhaps because it just drew me in).  I find it too easy to get distracted with side missions and forget to advance the story and wind up getting bored with them after a time.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: