http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 03:15:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Games That Took A While, But Then Just Clicked  (Read 1252 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2007, 11:40:08 PM »

A recent example- that I'm still playing through- is Call of Duty 2.

The game begins with what I consider the worst and most hackneyed campaign of the lot: Stalingrad.  I posted saying I wasn't impressed with it and I wasnt.  Then...then you get to the British missions- great variety, great level design, great atmosphere.  Then come some of the American missions. While not as great as the British ones, far better than Stalingrad.  Then more amazing British missions.  Then you get to D-Day. Whoops been there done that, right? Nope!  Great bunker to bunker clearing missions and the securing of a town.  Then bam!  You're fighting in reverse.  Great stuff overall but it started SO poorly in my estimation.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 11:53:23 PM »

The original Gothic. I couldn't stand the characters. While I didn't find the interface nearly as troublesome as most did, the NPCs
drove me completely insane and I quit playing it fairly early on. For some reason, though, I couldn't get it completely out of my mind,
and I did something extremely rare for me: I went back to it after a few months. I ended up doing something extremely rare for me:
I finished it. Great game.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 12:06:28 AM »

Almost too many to mention but the first that comes to mind:

Star Ocean 3.  I was bored silly in the first five hours.  To the point where I was literally dozing off while playing.  I decided to shelve it, perhaps permanently.  Then I watched the Gamespot video review and saw some stuff in it that looked pretty cool so I decided for one final shot.  Almost immediately the game hooked me- the story got a helluva lot more interesting, an annoying character left the stage almost permanently, and two new, much more interesting characters were introduced.  The game had me in it's clutches for the next 70 hours after that until I finished the game. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 12:08:52 AM »

Final Fantasy Tactics.  Bought and sold the game 3 seperate times because I just couldn't get into it.  First time was right after I finished FFVII, and I was expecting more of the same.  You can imagine how that turned out.  Tried it again a year later, and could never get the hang of the combat system.  Tried one more time a year after that, bought the guide to go along with it, and it just clicked.  Absolutely fell in love with it and have spent hundreds of hours with it since.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 12:22:13 AM »

KOTOR on the XBOX

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
depward

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 12:32:06 AM »

DJ Max Portable for the PSP - the learning curve is fairly difficult... and when I started I thought, "Jebus, how am I going to be able to complete THAT song!"  But it just clicked.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 02:05:16 AM »

Chrono Cross.  The beginning is really slow, and honestly a bit boring.  But after the beginning part is over, it really gets going and doesn't let up.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 02:29:59 AM »

Hopefully Okami.  Just cant get into this one.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 03:34:13 AM »

Fallout.  I was a big CRPG fan and a big fan of the post-apoc setting but when I first tried to play it I was frustrated by the difficulty and the weird '50's vibe.  I kept thinking "why did they include this crap?"  Almost a year later, right before Fallout 2 came out, I decided to give it another shot and this time it clicked.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 03:51:11 AM »

If I have to play a game for 6 hours before I enjoy it, I will probably not make it through the 6 hours.  I will nominate Advance Wars DS.  The first couple of missions were boring and I almost stopped playing.  But once the game got going I was sorry to see it end.  I'm glad I kept going.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 04:27:02 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 04:09:36 AM »

Big Brain Academy for NDS.  I loved Brain Age, and this game was just ugly looking/sounding by comparison.  It just clicked after a few weeks--I love this game now. smile
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 06:19:15 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 01, 2007, 12:06:28 AM

Almost too many to mention but the first that comes to mind:

Star Ocean 3.  I was bored silly in the first five hours.  To the point where I was literally dozing off while playing.  I decided to shelve it, perhaps permanently.  Then I watched the Gamespot video review and saw some stuff in it that looked pretty cool so I decided for one final shot.  Almost immediately the game hooked me- the story got a helluva lot more interesting, an annoying character left the stage almost permanently, and two new, much more interesting characters were introduced.  The game had me in it's clutches for the next 70 hours after that until I finished the game. 

which one is star ocean 3?...is it the one entitled 'til the end of time?..2 discs,and has that guy called cliff in it?....if so i got bored with it after 5 or so hours and have been meaning to go back to it..so this is good news

for me it would have to be the godfather for 360,when i first got it,i played for about 1hr-2hr..and thought...meh,didnt like the look of new york and thought it was nothing special...then a week or two ago,i went back to it,and i am really enjoying it

Spoiler for Hiden:
i just planted the horses head in the bed,from godfather part 1,LOL

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 01:14:41 PM »

Morrowind.  It took me an hour of two of not liking it at all; and then all of a sudden I 'got' it and ooooooooh.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 01:35:47 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 01, 2007, 06:19:15 AM

which one is star ocean 3?...is it the one entitled 'til the end of time?..2 discs,and has that guy called cliff in it?....if so i got bored with it after 5 or so hours and have been meaning to go back to it..so this is good news

Yep, that's the one. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 05:04:56 PM »

Enchanted Arms ... You pretty much need to get past the first city before it clicks.
Zelda : the Twilight Princess ... This took ~3hrs of playtime for me to WANT to finish the game.
Amped 3 By the time I had the second mountain unlocked, I was hooked.
Dragon Quarter .. I was halfway through my first run before I liked it. It was the only PS2 game I had at the time so I had limited options.
Rainbow 6 Vegas ... I was hooked by the end of the Mexican levels.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 05:07:12 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
unbreakable
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 05:23:15 PM »

I've heard people mention Anachronox, but I never made it far enough in; it's in the backlog.

Did anyone make a re-skin or graphics update for it?  Maybe soon I'll give it another try.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 11:27:49 PM »

For me the ONLY one like that was Sacrifice.  I found the camera infuriating at first and shelved it for a year.  Then picked it up and wam bam thank you mam.  Loved it all the way through.  Was my favorite game at the time.  Still warms my heart thinking about it.   No others come to mind as any more I don't give em long enough.  Not enough time anymore to fiddle with games that don't grab me by the cajones.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 03:05:19 AM »

I am still racking my head for one frown
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: