http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 06:50:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Games for Windows Live going away in 2014?  (Read 656 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2013, 03:21:59 AM »

mentioned this in the Arkham Origins thread, but figured it deserved its own if only to possibly alert people that games using GfWL may be breaking.

apparently MS posted then removed an update saying Games for Windows Live is going away in July 2014.  Of course this may just have been bad wording on the part of MS, but they have announced that the Marketplace is going away on the 22nd.  If true I wonder what this would mean for some of the games that get their DLC through the service.  for example, Fable 3 grabs its DLC through it, if you buy it on Steam you just get a key to enter through the dashboard.  IIRC Fallout 3, unless they patched it, works the same way. 

If this is true, we'll get to see how they let people keep access to any games they may have bought on GfWL as well.  I have Gears of War on it, which I got for free, and the copy of Age of Empires 3 that I picked up when they had it on sale for 10 cents.  I imagine they could just issue a Steam key for AoE3, but I don't think Gears of War is available anywhere else.  Perhaps they'll let Steam host the DLC I mentioned and give out replacement keys or patch the games.

Another thought:  Dark Souls uses it for MP, and isn't that connectivity kind of integral to the game experience?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 03:39:00 AM »

I just picked up Fallout 3 GOTY edition last month, and all of its DLC came through just fine off of Steam.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 03:50:53 AM »

Good riddance.

I'd have given GFWL a shot, but it just was bloated, buggy, and had a terrible interface. I think the only reason why anyone went with them was that MS was offering money for companies to use it, and XBL integration.

The same situation is happening with Gamespy's old network API, while that's not dying, it is having its cost raised considerably, so people are dropping support for games using it, or switching to steam.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 06:42:44 AM »

Zune Marketplace on the 360 is going as well

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 07:31:35 AM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on August 20, 2013, 03:39:00 AM

I just picked up Fallout 3 GOTY edition last month, and all of its DLC came through just fine off of Steam.

cool, wasn't 100% sure.

Because I can,
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 11:52:04 AM »

Stuff like this happening is why I can't stand that you pretty much need to buy everything digitally these days.    I would much rather have physical media that can't be taken away from me because some company decides they don't want to provide a service anymore.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 08:23:15 AM »

also for Street Fighter 4 (and the other Capcom games?) - i still play random online matches on that.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 09:25:47 PM »

even more proof even though I don't think MS has officially said anything (other than the Marketplace is gone):

Dear Batman Arkham Fans - Microsoft has begun the process of closing down Windows Live services over the next year. To make sure there is no interrupted service, we will be moving the game to Steam for verification and update services for both the Base and GOTY versions of Batman Arkham Asylum and Batman Arkham City.

If you purchased either of the games on Steam all you have to do is let Steam download the latest patch and you will be fine.

If you purchased the games somewhere else you will need to enter the code in Steam. (You can find steps to do this on the bottom of this.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to continue playing from your current save. You will need to start a new game.

Going forward you do not have to worry about where you stored that disc. If you switch computers or go to a friend’s house you simply need to download Steam, log into your account, then go to the library and select to install your game.

Bioshock 2 also removed their GfWL integration.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 09:29:38 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 10:06:50 PM »

I guess that means my 2nd attempt to beat Arkham City goes dead.  I guess I'll tell it not to update just yet. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 02:56:16 AM »

the anti-gfwl patch is live, so if you catch it before it finishes, you can keep playing with it.  also, they added cards to both it and AA if that's your thing. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 03:57:32 AM »

I'm not really following, why would you want to keep playing with the GFWL version?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 03:59:10 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 18, 2013, 03:57:32 AM

I'm not really following, why would you want to keep playing with the GFWL version?

saves don't transfer over for some reason, so if you're halfway through a game you would have to replay the first half.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 04:04:29 AM »

exactly.  and now that it started updating, I am unable to play as it won't let you once an update has been started.  meaning, I've now lost my progress half way through the game. 

not feeling the love to restart this a third time.  Uninstalled

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 04:06:07 AM »

also, that was 21 hours worth of gameplay lost.    finger for not giving us a notice so we could decide for ourselves whether to turn this off beforehand.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 04:18:39 AM »

luckily I wasn't too far into my replay, but it was not cool of them to release a patch that broke save games with little or no warning.  of course with Origins due out next Friday I think I'm just going to uninstall for now as well.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 06:40:57 AM »

I found a method and have been able to restore my progress and continue with the game. 

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86483044&postcount=566

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 09:17:17 PM »

I'm happy it's going away, because for the most part it was more of a negative than a positive for me. That said, what I'd really like to see MS do is to make XBL multiplatform between PC and the XB1. If they extended it to also integrate with XBL on 360, I be that much more thrilled. If I could use my account on both platforms, I'd keep subscribing for the 360 service even after the releases dried up. I actually wouldn't be surprised if that eventually happens, now that Steam is quickly moving in the direction of Linux.

I only have 2 games that use it -Section 9 Prejudice and FO3 GOTY- and of those I found a hack that removes it from FO3.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 09:20:50 PM by kronovan » Logged
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 12:22:36 AM »

current list:

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big_List_of_3rd_Party_DRM_on_Steam#Games_for_Windows_Live

of interest:

"Legacy Titles

Simple product key check; requires internet access but does not attach the key to your Microsoft account.
    Activation limit between 10-20 (usually 15); Microsoft support can help reset the limit but will not reset a second time; after that you will need to buy the game again. "

i never knew that... >:{
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 06:34:17 PM »

Interesting wiki. I'm going to have to check into what my options are for Section 8 Prejudice, although it's more or less mplay only and that's probably dried up by now anyways.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: