http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 12:14:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gamerankings going away?  (Read 1807 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2009, 09:20:03 PM »

Saw this on GAF - if you go to gamerankings.com you get redirected to Gamespot. Of course, the fanboys over there are glad, because they think the overall rankings are wrong. However, I use it all the time to look at various reviews and I'm hoping it's not actually gone.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 09:22:27 PM »

That sucks.  I couldn't care less about the overall review aggregation, but it was my go-to place to see what reviews were released for a game and open up the ones I was interested in reading.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 09:27:21 PM »

Lame-o.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 09:27:54 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 17, 2009, 09:22:27 PM

That sucks.  I couldn't care less about the overall review aggregation, but it was my go-to place to see what reviews were released for a game and open up the ones I was interested in reading.

Me too.

Would metacritic work as a substitute?
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 09:28:49 PM »

That's a shame.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 09:30:24 PM »

The strange thing is that I looked up a game earlier today, so whatever is happening started only a few hours ago.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 09:30:52 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on February 17, 2009, 09:27:54 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on February 17, 2009, 09:22:27 PM

Me too.

Would metacritic work as a substitute?

Technically, yes, but I liked the layout at Gamerankings. Very easy to use.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 09:33:51 PM »

Man, that sucks.  I checked Gamerankings on a daily basis, and their lists of top ranked games for each system were a fantastic resource.

Can't say I'm surprised by the move though, and I'm a bit shocked it took them this long.  From a business standpoint, what vested interested does GS have to link to other website's reviews?

Quote from: Teggy on February 17, 2009, 09:30:24 PM

The strange thing is that I looked up a game earlier today, so whatever is happening started only a few hours ago.

same here.  I checked out a couple DQV reviews this morning from Gamerankings.  frown

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 09:40:05 PM »

Possibly just internal issues - http://au.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26783939

We'll see...

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 04:00:26 AM »

They've been owned by GS for a while. My guess is it's a glitch.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 04:04:18 AM »

Now it automatically forwards to Metacritic. 

On a related note, I cannot stand the graphics-heavy poorly-designed game websites that abound.  Pages at IGN and the like take ages to load.  I hope the day will come when there's movement towards sites that are easier to load, easier to read, and easier to navigate.

xbox live: nude rick james
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 04:43:36 AM »

I got really angry when gamerankings.com dropped all the smaller websites from their aggregates, like Bovine Conspiracy. That was basically the beginning of our end.

PSN ID: EduardoX
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 11:26:04 AM »

This is the message that's up there now:

Whoops. GameRankings is currently undergoing maintenance. In the mean time, please check out our sister site, Metacritic.com, for aggregated game reviews. Thanks for your patience. We hope to be back up soon.

If your browser doesn’t automatically go there within a few seconds, please go to Metacritic.com manually.

I too like Gamerankings.com, although I use it as a guideline rather than an absolute. The layout of Metacritic isn't anywhere as useful.

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 04:10:37 PM »

I think it's weird that metacritic has become an industry standard.  Or at least, it seems to have a lot of influence.  I've seen reference to metacritic scores in a number of articles (off the top of my head, there was the one about MS dropping some arcade games, and one of the factors was the metacritic score, but there have been more recent ones than that).  For my money, Gamerankings is not only way more convenient, it also has more information.  And it goes back a lot farther, too (which has helped me stockpile my PS2 collection in recent months).  Also, I can get it on my phone.  Boo if it actually goes away.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 04:25:20 PM »

I much, MUCH prefer Gamerankings over Metacritic.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »

IT'S BACK UP!!!

They've redesigned it.  Looks nice, not terribly different, but I can't tell if the functionality is changed.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 03:06:19 PM »

Wow, I don't like this new layout at all.  I really liked having the separate sections for each system with the most recent reviews under each one.  Now we only get a list of the 15 most recent reviews all lumped into one box, and I can't see any way to expand things to see additional new reviews or browse new reviews by specific systems.

Blech.   thumbsdown

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 03:26:40 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 03, 2009, 03:06:19 PM

Wow, I don't like this new layout at all.  I really liked having the separate sections for each system with the most recent reviews under each one.  Now we only get a list of the 15 most recent reviews all lumped into one box, and I can't see any way to expand things to see additional new reviews or browse new reviews by specific systems.

Blech.   thumbsdown

Yeah, I only just started looking into it.  The main page is kind of useless now.  The search section is lumped into that "Best of All Time" section, too, and it's more streamlined, but there are fewer filters.

I still prefer it to Metacritic, if only because it goes back further.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 03:34:17 PM »

Blech.   thumbsdown

You still have the separate sections, you just have to click the appropriate link in the new 'Platforms' bar. You can still filter for all platforms by clicking the 'All Systems' link. The only thing I don't like about the new format it is the inability to hide box art, that you can't have more than 50 titles on screen and that the listing are no longer numbered. That said, it's still much better than Metacritic IMO.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 03:35:42 PM »

Blech.   thumbsdown

I agree. The new format is much less informative and intuitive than the previous version. It looks like they used Gamefaqs as a template and then shoehorned in some differences. I'm very disappointed.

It reminds me of Coca-Cola giving way to New Coke. Way to ruin something that was already superb.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 03:48:04 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on March 03, 2009, 03:34:17 PM

Blech.   thumbsdown

You still have the separate sections, you just have to click the appropriate link in the new 'Platforms' bar. You can still filter for all platforms by clicking the 'All Systems' link. The only thing I don't like about the new format it is the inability to hide box art, that you can't have more than 50 titles on screen and that the listing are no longer numbered. That said, it's still much better than Metacritic IMO.

The Platforms bar brings up a list of the top all-time reviews for the system, not just the most recent.  You have to manually sort it to get to games released within the last month.  Even that feature isn't a ton of help, since some sites (like ours) can be a little slow with reviews.  If you aren't looking for a specific game, there's no way (that I can see anyways) to pull up just the most recent reviews that have been posted for a specific platform.  I used to come across lots of games that weren't initially on my radar, but grabbed my attention because they were getting good reviews.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 04:39:54 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 03, 2009, 03:48:04 PM

The Platforms bar brings up a list of the top all-time reviews for the system, not just the most recent.  You have to manually sort it to get to games released within the last month. 

True, but the same thing was true for the old site; games that were listed when you 1st accessed 'The Rankings' were the all time top scorers for all platforms. You still had to select platform and the 'sort by' drop down if you wanted to get the most recent for any given platform as the sort order always defaulted to 'best to worst'. The other site did seem to recall your previous settings if you hadn't deleted your cookie, so maybe that's what you're finding different. I don't know if that recall feature is true for the new site.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 05:01:52 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on March 03, 2009, 04:39:54 PM

The Platforms bar brings up a list of the top all-time reviews for the system, not just the most recent.  You have to manually sort it to get to games released within the last month. 

True, but the same thing was true for the old site; games that were listed when you 1st accessed 'The Rankings' were the all time top scorers for all platforms. You still had to select platform and the 'sort by' drop down if you wanted to get the most recent for any given platform as the sort order always defaulted to 'best to worst'. The other site did seem to recall your previous settings if you hadn't deleted your cookie, so maybe that's what you're finding different. I don't know if that recall feature is true for the new site.

But on the front page, without having to go into The Rankings, they had recent reviews broken down by platform.  It was very useful, and I checked it daily.  I think it was updated several times a day, too.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 06:09:56 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 03, 2009, 05:01:52 PM

Quote from: kronovan on March 03, 2009, 04:39:54 PM

But on the front page, without having to go into The Rankings, they had recent reviews broken down by platform.  It was very useful, and I checked it daily.  I think it was updated several times a day, too.

OK I can see what you're saying there; just the most popular and most recent for all systems are on it now. I do like the new 'latest articles' on the front page as 1st page visibility could be an incentive for reviewers to submit reviews. That was one of my biggest beef about the old site; too many reviewers just didn't bother to submit.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 09:42:02 PM »

I'm just glad its back-I dont give a damn what it looks like.  I don't go to GR to peruse the front page-I go when I want to look up a game-usually an older one which I missed the first go around.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2009, 10:06:57 PM »

Funny, when I clicked on the link I thought to myself "the post is either going to have a link to a reputable news site or it's going to mention a random NeoGAF thread"  icon_lol

It loads fine for me.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2009, 10:16:43 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on March 03, 2009, 09:42:02 PM

I'm just glad its back-I dont give a damn what it looks like.  I don't go to GR to peruse the front page-I go when I want to look up a game-usually an older one which I missed the first go around.

Agreed.  I don't care for the "new" look either, but it still does exactly what I want it to - and, as a bonus, there's no more annoying frame at the top when I click on a review.  thumbsup

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: