http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 09:53:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gamefly thoughts  (Read 1927 times)
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2005, 06:51:44 AM »

I've resisted Gamefly's ads for some time but think I'm finally going to give in.

Why?  I see it as a way to control game costs.  Although you're paying $20 a month, you can have any 2 games out at a time and play more each year.  There are a number of FPS that simply don't have enough single-player length to warrant paying $50 (!!!), but that's not an issue with Gamefly.

Anyone out there using Gamefly?  What has your experience been like?
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 07:03:38 AM »

I dont like them. I recently tried them again and regret it. They are agonizingly slow, and new popular games are gone almost immediately and invariably have far too long a wait.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 01:50:20 PM »

SLOW!!!

To Boston anyway. Took about 10-14 days for a game to leave my house and a new one to come back. I bailed.

Good deals on used games though!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 01:54:07 PM »

I think they are based in California.  The people here in AZ that I talk to seem to like it - about a 1 to 2 day turnaround.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 01:57:15 PM »

Hmm odd.  I've been using them for probably 2 years now and have always had speedy service.  I can't remember waiting more than a couple days after I send in the games to get two more back.  One time they didn't record that I had returned a game, but I just marked on their site I had returned it, they sent the next one out, and the next day I even got a confirmation that they had just missed the game when it came in.  No mess, no fuss.

Great way to save some money if you're like me and just like sample most console games, but you just don't find many of them worth buying.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 02:48:11 PM »

I get games for my GBA SP from Rhino a local store that sells used games and does trades. I buy a game then if I return it within 14 days I get 1/2 the money back on it..if after 14 days I get around $8 depending on the game. Not new stuff..I get stuff like Mario, Advance Wars and stuff

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 02:49:48 PM »

I ultimately stopped because it took a week or so to turn around games, which made it hard to use it to try out games that I wasn't sure I would like.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 04:08:42 PM »

For me the usual turnaround time is 5 days including the days its sent/ recieved. Its not bad to me, and still makes the cost well worth it since the fee for 2 at a time per month is less than half the cost of a new game. Only recommend it for people on the west cost though.

I'll add that their "keep it" prices are pretty good too. Especially for new games a couple of months after they have been out. I assume that their cleaning out the excess stock after the initial rush of game rentals for the title.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 04:14:35 PM »

You might take a look at gamerang as well.  I used them for about a year, and they had ultra fast turnaround times and fairly good service (and were a little cheaper than gamefly).

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 04:35:07 PM »

Gamefly is way too slow for my tastes (I'm in TN)
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 04:53:35 PM »

Wow!  Good tip.  Thanks dude.

Quote from: "Dimmona"
You might take a look at gamerang as well.  I used them for about a year, and they had ultra fast turnaround times and fairly good service (and were a little cheaper than gamefly).
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 10:50:19 PM »

Gamefly does have a free trial.  You could see how bad the wait is from your location.  For instance, since Houston is a hub, mail gets here a lot faster than you'd think.  I'd post the link, but the link I have is the sponsor link from my website and that's against the rules (not to mention rude).   I'm sure you can find it if you look.

If you find something better, let us know.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 02:11:55 PM »

There's also redoctane.com - I used it quite a few years ago, so I have no idea what their level of service is now, but if you're looking for options...

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
osufan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2005, 02:25:49 AM »

I'll give a nod to Gamerang over Gamefly.  I used Gamefly for about a year, and was happy, but something changed and I then had constant problems with late to/from shipping, lots of "lost" games, etc.  With Gamerang I've had consistent three-day shipping each way for about 7-8 months, so hopefully they keep it up.  Btw, I'm in Columbus.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2005, 04:13:38 AM »

I just tried gamefly last week.

They sent me the two games from the top of my list on monday but they didn't arrive here (kansas city) till friday. I canceled the trial this week and mailed the games back.  The idea of having to wait a whole week or more between games was just too much for me to justify the monthy cost.

Signed up for gamerang yesterday. They shipped my #3 choice yesterday and I'll post in here when it actually arrives.

my thought is if the gamerang game arrives tommorow - then I'll extend the trial to a full subscription for a month to see if it was just a fluke in the selection process or if I might always have problems getting the game I want from them.

Both of their websites need a major overhaul as neither of them are even half as functional or well designed as netflix.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2005, 04:20:25 AM »

Did they make you call to cancel darkel? i tried to cancel yesterday from the trial, and the page told me to call them? wtf is up wiht that man
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2005, 06:18:03 PM »

yeah

click here to cancel
page loads
oh we're sorry you want to cancel. To cancel call us at 877-xxx-xxxx

WTF!!!

nice 3-5 minute wait on hold too listening to one message repeat every 20-30 seconds.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2005, 06:40:30 PM »

I will very seldom replay games, therefore I don't keep many games.  Usually, if it's a shorter title, I'll play through it quickly and return it for credit.  The last few times I've done this (God of War and SW:  RC), I paid $50 for the game and returned it for $28.  I think paying $22 for a great game is a pretty good deal.  And since I usually only have the time to play through one short game a month, it's pretty equivalent to paying the $20 for Gamefly.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2005, 08:18:43 PM »

For what it's worth, I was one of the 'early adopters' when gamerang came out, and I actually exchanged a few e-mails with Greg Gentling (who was the biz dev guru over there at the time).  I was actually impressed not only by the fast turnaround times, but by the fact that he/they seemed genuinely interested in how they could make the service better/faster/easier to use.

If you do run into any problems or have any suggestions, feel free to send them in via their feedback webpage - I usually got a response back within an hour, and they were always very helpful + honest with me.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2005, 12:46:33 AM »

Sigh - well this morning I decided I'd give Gamerang a full months trial

It took them 3 days to get me a game as compared to 5+ from Gamefly. I was still a bit concerned since they weren't able to send me my 1st choice games during the trial.

So I updated my queue and  converted my account from free trial to 2 games a month - and what happens?

They shipped me my 6th choice!!  6th!!!!  Meanwhile all 5 choices above it still show as "available now" and have shown that way for the last few days.

Now granted my 1st choice was Jade Empire, so I can understand high demand blocking that from me but the stuff underneath that was nothing special (e.g. ape escape for psp, mercenaries for xbox, yourself fitness for ps2, etc)

So I just called the customer service 800# and was told that all reps were busy and then sent me to a voicemail box!!!  Have these people never heard of an ACD?

This is just sad and is really making me think that I made a wrong choice.

Perhaps I should write an article on the main site reviewing both the GameFly and Gamerang services. Both of them have pluses and minuses that I'm starting to think should be documented outside of just the forums.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2005, 07:07:50 AM »

Tip:  If there's a game or two you really want, make it the only two games in your choice list.  They will almost always send it out to you immediately.  I'm not quite sure how their queueing algorithm works, but I've noticed that if you have other games further down the queue that they will send you those first (and save the higher rated games for people who don't have anything else on their queue).

Screwey, but in my 14 months of using Gamerang I was only denied my first choice once... go figure.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2005, 07:35:48 AM »

I've never used their rental service, but check their used games often.  A while back they had an awesome sale.  I picked up Chronicles of Riddick and Manhunt for XBOX $9.99 for each.  Both were in perfect condition and came with original box and manual.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: