http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 08:05:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gamefly kind of sucks  (Read 2576 times)
Jeff
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2008, 05:16:17 AM »

I'm not happy at all with Gamefly's service.

I signed up on the 15th (Sept), 2-out plan. They had emailed me a $10 off for the month offer.

Nothing whatsoever ships for the first 3 days.

First game finally shipped on the 18th (Bully)

Second game shipped on the 19th (Mercs 2)

Decided I liked Bully and went for the "keep it" deal at $17 on Sept 20th. When you do this, they're supposed to ship the next game in your queue.

Sept 24th - nothing has shipped to replace Bully even yet, 4 days later. I have 6 games in my Q.

They must have a weak inventory. I guess I was accustomed to Netflix where pretty much whatever you order ships the same day.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 05:49:03 AM »

Yeah, if you compare Gamefly to Netflix it makes GF seem really shitty. Overall I had a pretty good experience while I used them.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 02:13:56 PM »

Going on day 5 now with an open slot, and 6 in the Q, and a couple of the games I have queued are 2+ years old. How could they not ship anything? You have to wonder if they aren't throttling to make up for the $10 discount they gave me.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 02:32:45 PM »

I'm getting a irritated at GameFly as well. I had the exact same situation as Jeff's occur twice.   I decided to buy the game and it took 6-7 days to ship the next one in my list.  I'm pretty sure that I'm going to cancel after this month. I thought it would keep me from buying so many games but the long ship times are killing it for me. We use Blockbuster online for movies. The ship times are so much better than Gamefly.  I realize that Blockbuster is a much bigger company but damn, six days to even ship my next game.  Plus it seems the actual transit time from Gamefly to my house is at least 4 to 5 days from the time I get my ship email to the time it gets to my door. I think I'll quit and maybe try again later if they get a little better. 
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 03:40:39 PM »

Ha, maybe they saw this thread, they just shipped my next game, Civ Revolution. I doubt I'll renew, too many good games coming out in October that I'm buying anyway.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 03:43:33 PM »

My stance is always that I'll switch to gamefly after I catch up on my backlog... Since that will never happen, I don't have to worry about it.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 05:34:34 PM »

I have actually been having great luck with them recently.  I sent back RE4 on Friday and they shipped me DQ for the DS the day it came out.  I was surprised.

They are no where near as good as Netflix but is anyone?

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 05:43:01 PM »

i've had decent luck with them, and on average, get the game i have on the top of the list half the time.  got SW:FU the week it released, as well as alone in the dark and bourne conspiracy.  of course, i have had yakuza on there for a while, and even showing high availability, not shipped in favor of a game ~5 off the top. 

one thing that helps is to get the games you want before release on your list asap.  it seems they weight that fact against everybody else who wanted it later on.  each time i got the game on release week, i had sent back 1 on thursday/friday.  that's mainly because i don't seem to get the fast shipment thing any more. 

i look at it this way, i have played a bunch of games i would probably not bought, a number of games i would have been regretted buying, and a few that i would have bought and actually been satisfied keeping.  overall, it has been a good experience, even though it has been pretty crappy in the past at times.

Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 06:16:47 PM »

I tried it for one month and canceled it. The turnaround time is simply terrible. Mail it out on Monday and get something back on Friday? F that..
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 06:21:19 PM »

this is why i canceled way back when too and they only had 1 distribution across country from me. took forever and a day to get my games. at least now they send a game when one gets scanned at the PO. that wasn't around either.
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 07:02:16 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on September 25, 2008, 02:13:56 PM

Going on day 5 now with an open slot, and 6 in the Q, and a couple of the games I have queued are 2+ years old. How could they not ship anything? You have to wonder if they aren't throttling to make up for the $10 discount they gave me.

send them a nasty email, they will send your game out right away. 

what I dont get is that gamefly advertises in the netflix envelopes.  why doesnt netflix just buy them out??

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 07:04:32 PM »

Quote from: WalkingFumble on September 25, 2008, 07:02:16 PM

Do this.  It worked for me (though I don't know if my email was nasty, exactly).

Other than that one time, I've had no issues with Gamefly.  I've figured out, more or less, how to get new releases the day they're released, and usually when they get a game, they stick a new one in the mail same day.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 07:18:09 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on September 25, 2008, 07:04:32 PM

Quote from: WalkingFumble on September 25, 2008, 07:02:16 PM

Do this.  It worked for me (though I don't know if my email was nasty, exactly).

Other than that one time, I've had no issues with Gamefly.  I've figured out, more or less, how to get new releases the day they're released, and usually when they get a game, they stick a new one in the mail same day.

I definitely planned to call or email them, but what I think I'll do is email them right after (or maybe a day or two before) I cancel and let them know why I'm canceling. Maybe they'll give me a free month  ninja

Looks like people are having mixed experiences, mostly lukewarm to negative though. I can see value here, but isn't normal price like $25/month? I think i'd be pissed if I had paid that much and have my Q just sit idle for 4 & 5 days.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 08:00:56 PM »

As much as I hate Cockbuster you might be better off just getting their rental thingy. I think it's 21 bucks for one at a time but you can just swap out stuff the same day so there's no turn around time. Of course each Cockbuster varies in how well the video game section is stocked and getting new releases will be a scattershot at best.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 08:04:58 PM »

Quote from: Octavious230 on September 25, 2008, 08:00:56 PM

As much as I hate Cockbuster you might be better off just getting their rental thingy. I think it's 21 bucks for one at a time but you can just swap out stuff the same day so there's no turn around time. Of course each Cockbuster varies in how well the video game section is stocked and getting new releases will be a scattershot at best.

I'm trying to help get them to go broke and die.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 08:14:37 PM »

Ya I'm not a huge fan myself. It used to be like 15 bucks a month which was actually a good deal. I think it's their policy to make sure that there aren't any good deals.
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 08:34:40 PM »

i have the same thing, but can get movies too.  the selection does suck, so i also gamefly with 1 game out at a time.  if you ask at blockbuster, they will tell you when games are coming out.  just be there at 10am, and you can get a new release 99% of the time.

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 10:48:19 PM »

Huh, I have great turnaround time with them. I sent back Boom Blox on Wednesday and by Friday I had DQ4 for the DS. What was the availability of the games in your queue during those 6 days?
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 12:32:13 AM »

I use it mainly to help stop buying new games, I also split it with a friend, so it's only costing me $12 a month.  We have a 2 month max limit on keeping a game, then we trade it, and then move on to the next
nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 03:01:08 AM »

I tried the free trial. Got the first ones quick enough, now at day 4 of having shipped them back and just got the notice of them mailing out my next. My 3rd and 11th games in my queue, despite my first and second being available. Will definitely cancel after the free month.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 04:12:32 AM »

I've never really had problems with GF have been with them a year now the secret to getting new games on release is to only leave that  game in your Q I get all the new games I want to play that way has'nt failed yet.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 01:57:13 PM »

Quote from: pingwrx on September 26, 2008, 04:12:32 AM

I've never really had problems with GF have been with them a year now the secret to getting new games on release is to only leave that  game in your Q I get all the new games I want to play that way has'nt failed yet.

Yeah, I kinda do the same thing. I don't mind waiting a day or two for a new game so I just put one game in my queue, regardless of the availability. 9 times out of 10 it will ship within a day or two of them receiving my old game, even if the availability is low.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 02:26:19 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on September 26, 2008, 01:57:13 PM

Yeah, I kinda do the same thing. I don't mind waiting a day or two for a new game so I just put one game in my queue, regardless of the availability. 9 times out of 10 it will ship within a day or two of them receiving my old game, even if the availability is low.

I tried that during my 4-day stretch with an open slot. For 2 days of it, I left only my top two in the Q. It didn't work.

Yesterday, after they (finally) shipped a game, they shipped another before receiving Mercs 2 back, that "FastReturn" thing in action I guess. So I give them points for that.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 03:39:55 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on September 26, 2008, 02:26:19 PM

Quote from: godhugh on September 26, 2008, 01:57:13 PM

I tried that during my 4-day stretch with an open slot. For 2 days of it, I left only my top two in the Q. It didn't work.

Yesterday, after they (finally) shipped a game, they shipped another before receiving Mercs 2 back, that "FastReturn" thing in action I guess. So I give them points for that.

Well, it's not that it doesn't work it's just that they didn't have the game in stock. When you're trying to get one specific game it takes a bit of patience. Again, this isn't Netflix, Gamefly can't keep as many copies of each title on hand as Netflix can so sometimes you have to wait a little bit to get exactly what you want.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 05:18:24 PM »

The the shipping out the next game before the recieve the other one new? It sure didn't seem like they were doing that when I had it a few months back.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 06:04:29 PM »

Quote from: Octavious230 on September 26, 2008, 05:18:24 PM

The the shipping out the next game before the recieve the other one new? It sure didn't seem like they were doing that when I had it a few months back.

They only do that if you have FastReturn sevice in your area fortunately I have it in mine.

PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 07:07:53 PM »

Well then they don't have it for my area then.  crybaby So many good games coming out that this service would be perfect if it wasn't so damn slow. 
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2008, 05:53:14 PM »

I've never been tempted to rent a game from anyone, anytime.  That's because it takes me a week to learn how to play the game!

Gamefly wouldn't know if they were in Heaven or Hell, with me as a customer.  I'm like the over eater who makes the "all you can eat" buffets go broke - or maybe the opposite, lol.  One game every week or two? That will never happen, which is why I would probably make Gamefly think they went to Heaven.  Is it really $24 a month? I can spend $60, play the game for 2 or 3 months, even 4 occasionally (Morrowind) and I own it.  Win/win, for me anyway.  icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2008, 11:09:11 PM »

I believe it's spelled Blockbuster.   slywink

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2008, 01:05:17 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on September 27, 2008, 11:09:11 PM

I believe it's spelled Blockbuster.   slywink

Cockbuster reminds me of Kobra calling Gamestop "Gamestopo" all the time.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2008, 01:56:42 AM »

Compared to Kobra.  thumbsdown icon_lol
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2008, 03:37:50 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on September 27, 2008, 05:53:14 PM

I've never been tempted to rent a game from anyone, anytime.  That's because it takes me a week to learn how to play the game!

Gamefly wouldn't know if they were in Heaven or Hell, with me as a customer.  I'm like the over eater who makes the "all you can eat" buffets go broke - or maybe the opposite, lol.  One game every week or two? That will never happen, which is why I would probably make Gamefly think they went to Heaven.  Is it really $24 a month? I can spend $60, play the game for 2 or 3 months, even 4 occasionally (Morrowind) and I own it.  Win/win, for me anyway.  icon_razz

Psshhh, you're fast! Here is when my current netflix discs were sent to me:
1.  Battlestar Galactica: Season 1: Disc 3   06/12/08
2.  Battlestar Galactica: Season 1: Disc 2    04/29/08
3.  Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest  01/07/08
4.  Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End  12/03/07

Yes, that's right. The most recent was over 3 months ago, the oldest is rapidly closing in on a year. I really, really, really need to cancel.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2008, 03:49:19 PM »

That's one of the problems I have with the monthly subs. I feel obligated to watch things sometimes just because I'm paying for it. Right now we have Dexter season 2 sitting in my house and I just don't feel like watching it this week. (AWESOME Show btw) It makes me feel like a idiot though to have it sitting around in my house.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2008, 04:16:26 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on September 29, 2008, 03:37:50 PM

Quote from: mytocles on September 27, 2008, 05:53:14 PM

Psshhh, you're fast! Here is when my current netflix discs were sent to me:
1.  Battlestar Galactica: Season 1: Disc 3   06/12/08
2.  Battlestar Galactica: Season 1: Disc 2    04/29/08
3.  Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest  01/07/08
4.  Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End  12/03/07

Yes, that's right. The most recent was over 3 months ago, the oldest is rapidly closing in on a year. I really, really, really need to cancel.

Lol, that's funny!  It's also why I usually don't sign up for things like this, it takes me too long to get around to canceling what should've been canceled a year back.  Were you playing any of those games "night and day" or just procrastinating on the mailings?  I'm  not sure why, but procrastination in it's most pitiful form, for me, is the inability to address and stamp something - if it involves that, uggh.   disgust

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2008, 05:33:45 PM »

It doesn't.  The incoming mailer has you remove a perforated panel, remove the sticky covering, seal it, and drop it back in.  You pay no postage.  Since I'm an apartment dweller, however, getting it to a mailbox usually requires making a conscious effort

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2008, 10:59:26 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on September 29, 2008, 05:33:45 PM

It doesn't.  The incoming mailer has you remove a perforated panel, remove the sticky covering, seal it, and drop it back in.  You pay no postage.  Since I'm an apartment dweller, however, getting it to a mailbox usually requires making a conscious effort

I do it the lazy way just take the mailer to work with me and give it to the mail girl when she delivers mail to the offices every morning.

PS3-PS4 pingwrx
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2008, 11:28:31 PM »

I have tried Gamefly twice and got sick of shipping delays, them claiming I never shipped games back, games supposedly lost in the mail, wrong games in the sleeve, etc etc. 

I gave up on them at ANY price.

I have gotten 20+ games in the past 2 months at under $15 average, so lately I have found no reason to even bother renting at all.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: