http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 03:48:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gamecube too dark on S-Video  (Read 977 times)
ChaoZ
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2006, 03:08:54 AM »

I bought a 3rd party s-video cable for the gamecube and it works good enough on a regular TV. However, when I plugged it into my HDTV, most games end up being too dark to the point of it being unplayable. The regular yellow RCA cable works fine, but it's not nearly as crisp.

Has anybody faced the same sort of problem? If there's no easy solution, I will probably wait for the Revolution to play the games on in component instead.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 03:28:50 AM »

Better question - why are you using S-Video for the Gamecube if you have a HDTV?  It looks sooo much better in 480p w/ the component cables (provided you have the patience to order them off of nintendo.com).

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 04:00:39 AM »

Because

1. They're no longer available from Nintendo.com (ebay people are having a field day selling these)
2. My two Component video inputs are used by the PS2 and Xbox
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 04:09:42 AM »

Quote from: "ChaoZ"
Because

1. They're no longer available from Nintendo.com (ebay people are having a field day selling these)
2. My two Component video inputs are used by the PS2 and Xbox

Your reason #2 there is the same reason I use s-video for my GameCube. I don't notice it being too dark though. It's a very sharp picture on my Sony 42A10. Could you adjust the TV brightness just for that input?

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 04:13:02 AM »

I've tried setting the brightness, but all it does it make the overall image lighter (no more contrast) Bumping up contrast doesn't seem to help either.

You know, I have no idea what I'm going to do when the new consoles hit (with the Xbox 360 not being backwards compatable and all). Gotta get a component switchbox or something.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 12:06:00 PM »

S-video improves picture quality by separating the color data stream from the light/dark data stream.  So, maybe a pin on your s-video cable is broken or there's something wrong with the cable or input on the tv such that the light/dark signal isn't coming through.

xbox live: nude rick james
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 01:16:08 PM »

You know, I have no idea what I'm going to do when the new consoles hit (with the Xbox 360 not being backwards compatable and all). Gotta get a component switchbox or something.

component switching receiver

I used s-video with my gamecube on my rp hdtv and had no issues with brightness or contrast.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 01:34:11 PM »

I have a question.  Are the S-Video cables something you have to buy extra?  I never had a TV with S-Video or above and now I have an HDTV.  All my components are taken up, so I can't use the component cables and I guess it would be nice to at least have S-Video.  Did the S-Video cables come with the CUbe or do you have to buy them separate?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Americanidle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 02:19:58 PM »

You can get decent component switch boxes for $20-30. I picked one up from Target in that range and it works great for me. It's got 4 component ins and the 1 out to TV.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 03:04:25 PM »

Quote from: "Americanidle"
You can get decent component switch boxes for $20-30. I picked one up from Target in that range and it works great for me. It's got 4 component ins and the 1 out to TV.

Good to know.

I suspect as more devices go HD that the demand for such devices will go up. It'd be nice to have a device that can be switched remotely for example.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 03:28:28 PM »

Quote from: "Americanidle"

Good to know.

I suspect as more devices go HD that the demand for such devices will go up. It'd be nice to have a device that can be switched remotely for example.

component switching receiver again. Most receivers above your basic home theater in a box have component switching though many only do 2 in 1 out, 3 in 1 out should be enough for most people given the TV has 3-4 component inputs plus HDMI or whatever that other hi def input standard is.

DJ - the s-video cable is not included, it's an additional investment

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 03:30:16 PM »

If someone wants, I do have a component GC cable (make sure you have a digital port on the back). I was going to ebay it (they go for 90+USD) ... I'm lookin' at selling for 60USD (plus shipping).

LMK if you're interested. I'll be putting it up on ebay end of this week / early next week. (I will eventually put up something in the trading forum if no one is interested).

Note: I have used it briefly; it's like new. I sold my cube last weekend. It is the official Nintendo one; and it is FINE. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 07:35:40 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
(they go for 90+USD)

Holy crap. Way to go Nintendo, killing the ONLY way to make the Gamecube look as good as it can be. Yet another stupid decision when it comes to video output (the first making it so the only way to get the cables in the first place was through Nintendo).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: