http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 07:53:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gamecube Component Cables  (Read 1351 times)
ChaoZ
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2006, 01:45:05 AM »

Apparently Nintendo no longer sells these and prices on Ebay have been jacked up. What's the story here? Why hasn't there been any 3rd party cables? Do I really need to spend $40 on a component cable for one game system?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 03:05:07 AM »

Quote from: "ChaoZ"
Apparently Nintendo no longer sells these and prices on Ebay have been jacked up. What's the story here? Why hasn't there been any 3rd party cables? Do I really need to spend $40 on a component cable for one game system?

The reason you could only get these via Nintendo was because they 'thought' that nobody owned a Component Capable TV set, and thus never allowed any third parties to make their own version.

When the actual truth was that nobody in their right mind would even think of visiting Nintendo's site to get these cables, and thus they were never sold to anybody in the first place.

Idiots.

To the best of my knowledge, no, there is no third party component cable for the Gamecube.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 03:13:56 AM »

Damn. Just like, a week ago, I got my component cables in the mail after ordering them from Nintendo's homepage. Went to check it now, and they've flat out removed any possibility of buying them.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 02:32:53 PM »

Technically you can't even buy a Gamecube (brand new) anymore that supports the Component Cables, so I'm not surprised they removed the ability to buy the cables too.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 04:00:49 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Technically you can't even buy a Gamecube (brand new) anymore that supports the Component Cables, so I'm not surprised they removed the ability to buy the cables too.

I bought a second Gamecube last year and had to search the area (20 mile radius) for about three weeks before I could find one in stock that still supported these cables. There is a specific set of Gabecube serial numbers (I found this info on a Nintendo.com FAQ and don't still have it) that supports the cables. Anything manufactured after that date/serial number range won't support the cables. Unfortunately, the new Cube boxes don't specify one way or the other if that one you're buying will still support the cables.

I'm disappointed with the way Nintendo handled the distribution of these cables, and hate playing into the eBay prices, but it's well worth it if you can find them. I had to purchase mine from a local store that is active in the imports side of things and believe they ran me $32 US. They're Nintendo cables so maybe they're still available overseas and can be imported. Anyone check Lik-sang lately?

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 04:27:44 PM »

When I first needed a set of component cables for my gamecube, it was faster to import them from Japan via a local gaming shop that deals with imports than it would have been to order them from Nintendo.   :?

In fact, if you're still searching for a set of those cables, you might want to try an import shop, they often have connections to warehouses that keep this stuff in stock.  They may also be able to provide access to Japanese 3rd party component cables for the Cube if there are none of the 1st party ones remaining.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 04:51:42 PM »

If your Cube doesn't have the digital port you can call Nintendo customer service and tell them you need it.  They will have you ship it to their service center (at their expense) and send you back a Cube that has the port.  It will be a refurb, but the outside housing is brand new and they will also extend your warranty by a year to cover this.  I did this with mine, sent it out Monday and had it back on Friday.  And it cost me nothing other than a few days without the cube..

I guess I'm surprised they no longer offer the component cables on the website.  I sort of assumed the Revolution would use this same cable to connect when it comes out.  After all the same S-Video and composite cables work for the SNES, N64, and GameCube.  I was hoping I would be able to reuse my component cables when I get a Revolution...
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 05:47:03 PM »

the jury is still out on whether the Revo will use these cables or not, IGN has a report up concerning this. It looks like the digital out port, and it looks like there's a digital sound out port as well...

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 07:28:23 PM »

weak. I bought mine online last year from Nintendo. Even Lik-Sang is sold out.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 02:00:14 AM »

Pretty sure we have them at Gamestop. They have a bunch of different connectors for GC, Xbox, PS2, etc. I know the S video ones support GC.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 06:41:30 AM »

I think I've seen components cable used at EB before.

As an aside, how much of a difference is there b/w component cables versus RCA cables?  not just for the GC, but for all of the systems I guess.

Are there like screenshots comparing the two?  I probably won't be affording a new TV anytime soon where there'll be component inputs, but just wondering.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 11:53:03 AM »

Quote from: "lex"
As an aside, how much of a difference is there b/w component cables versus RCA cables?  not just for the GC, but for all of the systems I guess.

Are there like screenshots comparing the two?  I probably won't be affording a new TV anytime soon where there'll be component inputs, but just wondering.

If your TV supports progressive scan playback, then the difference is *huge*.  Progressive scan can only be enabled over component connections so it isn't an option with composite (RCA) and S-Video connections.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 03:48:20 PM »

Even if it doesn't support progressive scan, the difference between RCA inputs (not S-Video) and component inputs is quite significant.  It's hard to explain in words.  Essentially, you lose the whole subtle "wavy line" thing that you get with RCA video, and color bleed is essentially eliminated (color bleed, especially with warmer colors like red, is a really bad problem with RCA inputs).

ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 06:07:21 PM »

I'm currently using a set of s-video cables that I bought and it was unacceptable for Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes (way too dark for some reason). Composite has the right darkness, but it's very blurry.

While there are cables out there that are compatable with all systems, none of those give GC component video. Some even have component inputs for PS2 and Xbox, but for GC, it's always S-video or under.

Nintendo really underestimated the demand for HD, and I have a feeling they will again for the Revolution (which will be 480p only).

As far as I can tell, component gamecube cables were never available in stores (outside of import shops perhaps). I will check the smaller places around town, but I expect to be raped in the prices.

So it comes down to this:
1. Nintendo is the only maker of GC component cables
2. Nintendo has discontinued HD support in gamecube by removing the HD port.
3. Nintendo has removed component cables from their online store
4. Nintendo will not allow 3rd parties to make the component cable.

While I agree that the majority of people out there would not likely have a HDTV, and of those people who do, another portion wouldn't care if it's HD or not, Nintendo should realize that the more hardcore game players will have better-than-average equipment and better-than-average knowledge of said equipment.

How Nintendo handled this is a load of crap if you ask me. Sounds like something Sony would do.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 06:21:17 PM »

Quote from: "ChaoZ"
How Nintendo handled this is a load of crap if you ask me.

Yup.  Very disappointing.

I'm not all that disappointed to hear that the Revolution won't be running on high-end HD signals, but for crying out loud, just at least give us component outputs so we can still get the best non-HD signal possible.  frown

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: