http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 08:21:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gameboy Multicarts?  (Read 1692 times)
Larraque
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2004, 07:24:43 PM »

While at the Pickering Flea market today, I found this seller with these GBA multicarts.  I did a search online and found the following site:

(link removed)

This is the same thing that was for sale at the market. It seemed like a fantastic deal --- far too good to be true. I'm trying to figure out what the catch is.

If you take a look at the game listing on the cart:

(link removed)

That looks absolutely incredible. Four GBA games, as well as mario games that have never been released in north america...

I'm curious about the validity and legality of these cartridges. Nowhere on the boxes does it say endorced by nintendo, and nowhere on the site is there any legal information about if they are licensed to distribute these games.

Edit: I hope this doesn't break the no piracy links rule; I am just curious to find out information to decide if I want to buy these or not.
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 07:50:24 PM »

Most definitely illegal, and probably manufactured in China.

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 10:07:16 PM »

Absolutely illegal. Links removed from your post.

Amazing what's out there though, no? So many things you can buy that aren't legit. Blame the fact that the console business is so huge nowadays.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 01:22:20 AM »

reminds me of this visit to a local dollar store.  they had a pack of stickers with all sorts of fish on it.  sprinkled among the generic fish were exact copies of fish from finding nemo.  the same scenes, same characters, etc.  first time i've seen blatant copyright theft in a store before.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004, 02:06:49 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Absolutely illegal. Links removed from your post.

Wow. Sorry for causing extra work. I'm so embarrased.  :oops:

I would like to mention this as illegal activity to the pickering flea market management. Does anyone have any evidence for me that this is illegal that i can give them? (As I'm sure they won't take my word, and will do nothing more than look at the box, see that it 'seems authentic' --- it really does seem like an authentic product --- and do nothing more.)

Assuming that they will do nothing and not care, do I then follow up with the local police, or is there a group in canada for cybercrime that I can mention this to?

Thanks
Brian
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2004, 02:58:20 AM »

Best bet?  Contact both the police -and- Nintendo, or maybe just Nintendo.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2004, 06:05:40 PM »

Quote from: "DragonFyre"
Wow. Sorry for causing extra work. I'm so embarrased.  :oops:

Hey, no problem. You didn't know. It's not like you purposely linked to a pirate site or something just to get us in trouble. You had an honest question.

As for what to do... Well, I remember some relatively recent news where Nintendo went after some little mall kiosks where they were selling pretty much the same thing you saw. Shut them down, sent out a PR piece about it, etc.

So Nintendo will actively try to stop this kind of stuff. Send them a link of the site, at the very least. Give them something to do. smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004, 07:33:16 PM »

Nintendo's Website has a page dedicated to reporting such crimes.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2004, 08:50:07 PM »

Don't call the police - the people responsible for the piracy already made their money selling to whoever the poor guy was trying to make a few extra bucks at the flea market.  Notify Ninetendo about the website distributing them and let them deal with those responsible for the mass distribution production etc of pirated carts.  DON'T get the lil guy nailed / arrested / sued etc, 'cause if he could deal with those sort of problems he probably wouldn't be out selling shoddy bootleg goods from a Bingo table.  He's living the capitalist dream, not pirating carts smile
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2004, 07:29:57 PM »

Ok. Thanks for the replies. I reported my story to nintendo, giving them the website address of the site in question. Waiting for a response now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: