http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 08:33:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Updates (without patch notes)  (Read 741 times)
Jarrodhk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2007, 05:58:25 AM »

Overall, I like the fact that the new gen consoles allow for patches to fix problems and add things.  One thing I really despise, however, is the fact that they don't seem to include readme's.  Makes it really hard to figure out what is being adjusted.  I'd like to know if the R6 vegas update I just got fixed the difficulty bug.  If it did I will go though the campaign again.

Edit: it occurs to me that I haven't loaded R6 up since I got my latest console... probably was just that.  Although it is the same hard drive.  Oh well.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 08:03:58 PM by Jarrodhk » Logged

Pikachu, I Blame you!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 06:01:58 AM »

See, I can't stand this aspect of gaming. I hated it when devs would ship a beta then patch it later for PC games, and my fear was that they would do the same thing with the next-gen consoles continuing the trend for many generations to come. Grocery stores don't accept produce that might ripen in a few weeks so why should we continually accept software that is unplayable or doesn't work as advertised right out of the box? This whole "buy now, we'll fix it later" mentality that's plagued PC gamers for years stands a very real chance of hitting consolers and that just pisses me off to no end.

/rant

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 07:09:52 AM »

I don't see an issue unless games start getting released in "broken" states. Until the console world gets a 'Dungeon Lord' type release then I think its being overblown.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 08:23:41 AM »

I don't think we've seen anything that bad.  It is just extremely frustrating that there is no way of knowing what an update/patch does on the console.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 08:56:11 AM »

i think its good that companies can 'fix' stuff,it used to be that a game came out and that was it......but not all people have their 360's/ps3s hooked up to the internet,so they will miss out

but at least the game isnt a lost cause<<<not the game lost cause icon_lol

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 01:56:10 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on February 25, 2007, 07:09:52 AM

I don't see an issue unless games start getting released in "broken" states. Until the console world gets a 'Dungeon Lord' type release then I think its being overblown.

LOL

Man, what a terrible, shitty, and unfinished game.

Back on topic though - yeah, we haven't seen any titles totally broken. Yeah, some games have unobtainable Achievements, others have difficulty bugs, and others have really big bugs that should've been noticed during any sort of testing (remember the fatigue issue in one of the Madden titles?), but nothing totally game breaking.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 03:10:03 PM »

[gramps]Well, you don't know how lucky you are, young'un. We used ta have to get our bug fixes in magazines, and we had to type the changes in ourselves![/gramps]

Quote from: whiteboyskim on February 25, 2007, 06:01:58 AM

See, I can't stand this aspect of gaming. I hated it when devs would ship a beta then patch it later for PC games, and my fear was that they would do the same thing with the next-gen consoles continuing the trend for many generations to come. Grocery stores don't accept produce that might ripen in a few weeks so why should we continually accept software that is unplayable or doesn't work as advertised right out of the box? This whole "buy now, we'll fix it later" mentality that's plagued PC gamers for years stands a very real chance of hitting consolers and that just pisses me off to no end.

/rant

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 06:00:35 PM »

I don't mind so long as they are only incremental patches to fix what is broken.
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 08:55:32 PM »

The lack of ability to patch games, I don't feel, contributes very much to releasing unfinished games.  Speaking as someone who had played tons of unfinished C64, Amiga, and DOS games which were buggy and many times never allowed you to finish the game, it seems the ability to patch only grants the ability to get stuff fixed.  It's a win for the consumer, because back then, unless you had access to something like Prodigy or sometimes a BBS, you likely would be stuck at the version you purchased.

It seemed like most games would just make sure the first half or so of the game would work, assuming (probably correctly for a majority of people) that hardly anyone would play beyond that point.  I know some console games fell into that category as well, but no specific titles spring to mind at the moment.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 08:58:01 PM by unbreakable » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 10:27:38 PM »

I agree that it would be nice to have a standardized "update notes" type thing so you know what has changed. 

I also think that it would be nice to get a little note in the dashboard letting you know when additional content or updates have been made available for a game you own/have played.  Then you would be able to turn that on or off for all games or each game individually in the dashboard, too.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 11:17:03 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 25, 2007, 10:27:38 PM

I agree that it would be nice to have a standardized "update notes" type thing so you know what has changed. 

I also think that it would be nice to get a little note in the dashboard letting you know when additional content or updates have been made available for a game you own/have played.  Then you would be able to turn that on or off for all games or each game individually in the dashboard, too.

+1 that would be so nice.  I hate having to update before I can play a game.  If I could do that from the dashboard it would be amazing

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: