http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 06:44:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game On - Chicago Museum of Science & Industry (56k Warn  (Read 1314 times)
Crawley
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2005, 12:43:17 AM »

I took these a few months ago when the wifey and I hit the Chicago Museum of S&I. They have a exhibition showing the history of video games. So figured we would check it out and see how it was. To our surprise it was very good, with a lot of games, and we spent several hours in there. Here's a few shots I took.

You have to excuse the blurry photos. They didn't allow flash in the exhibit, which the guard reminded me of several times, and it was twilightish for the lighting and my digital camera was new. Hmm ... any other excuses I can think up . . . nope.

Given we're having this retro craze here I thought you guys might get a kick out of some of this. If you're lucky enough to be in the Chicago area I would reccomend checking out the exhibit.

> OPEN DOOR
> N
> LOOK

You enter a room filled with video game machines from Midway. In one corner is a Mortal Kombat which you notice doesn't require quarters. In fact upon further inspection none of the games have money slots.

You feel oddly warm.

>W

This room is filled with current day consoles from Sony, Nintendo and X-Box. There's a kid playing a Gamecube game. You may be able to take him.

>RUN AWAY

Nostalgia hits you as you bump in to some of your old friends. You recall with glee how you managed to whine just enough to get that last quarter from your parents to play Galaxian just one more time.

An odd sound is coming from the East.

> EAST

"Bleep!" "Bleep!"

Projected on a 50 foot screen in all its 2 color glory is THE classic. There's something in the corner.

> LOOK IN KORNER

You could do that but why would you want to?

> LOOK IN CORNER

Yup, it's Pong.

> QUIT

You leave to help the nagging wife with dinner. You sense you'll return later for more adventure.
unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 12:53:48 AM »

OMG, I -love- that museum.  I had no idea that exhibit was there; I must go.

I almost literally grew up in that museum.  I probably went there at least once a month.  This was back when it was free, obviously, which wasn't all that long ago.

Anyone remember the Paul Bunyon exhibit?  That rocked.

link to exhibit, btw.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 01:01:12 AM »

I'm hopefully going to make it up there before the exhibit closes...
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 03:14:30 AM »

> SLAP WIFE WITH FISH

You escape another drea..lovely meal. You feel the the need to relax.

> SIT

Sitting down at your favorite cocktail cabinet you take on all challengers at your favorite game. Although you find you have difficulty seeing the screen without glasses.

> INV

You have bottle rocket glasses and a fish.

> WEAR GLASSES

You are able to see things a bit clearer on the 50 inch projection screen.

You can see light coming off a strange display.

> EXAMINE STRANGE DISPLAY

With your bottle rockets on you push your face against the the plastic dome of the display. You have a looksie.

> BREAK BUBBLE

With what?

> BREAK BUBBLE WITH FIST

The bubble is impenitrable to all known types of violence.

> WHIMPER

You make a sad display as goodies lie just out of your reach.

> SLAP BUBBLE WITH FISH

The bubble breaks easily after your unexpected outburst of unknown violence. The goodies are yours to play with.

After your clear the tears from your eyes you notice just beyond lies the holy grail of gaming. You just need to jump the chasm.

> JUMP CHASM

You stumble, sure you won't make the jump. You didn't think it would be that easy did you?

> EAT FISH

You grow strong!

> JUMP CHASM

You leap across the small crack in the floor and claim your reward. 4 player Atari 2600 Warlord.

So it's a lot of fun to check out. There's quite a few games to play, many known, some I've never heard of, and couple of home brew arcade games made for consoles with the dev kits. As I mentioned we spent a few hours in there, its very easy to do as there are so many games to try.

I'll post a few more shots if there's an interest. Most are blurry but I think you get the idea, best to see, and play in person. smile
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 04:14:04 AM »

They even had a Discs of Tron arcade and Star Wars arcade game in there.  I was there at the end of April and got to see it.  I wish that I hadn't gotten tickets to both that and Body Worlds because that was about all that we got to see, and I know that there is a lot more there.

Just a warning, I think it's worth it to see Body Worlds, but you better not have a weak stomach.  I'm glad I saw it, but it got a bit nauseating at times.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 04:17:17 PM »

Thanks for the pics, Crawley - and the link, unbreakable...

I've got to explore that link to see whether this might be a traveling exhibit, or maybe will be lent out somday.  That, or start calculating the distance from Western MA to Chicago!

um... WonderSwan?  Were all the good names used up?  smile

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Nakor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 10:08:45 PM »

IN!

See my list of games I have and want.
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 03:58:19 PM »

Thanks for the pics!  I loved the commentary as I still think that the old school adventure games are my favorite games of all time.
Cyrano
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 11:25:30 PM »

You know you're old when the games you played as a kid are on display behind glass in a museum.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2005, 02:34:27 AM »

You know you're old when the games you played as a kid are on display behind glass in a museum.

Nah - you know you're (getting!) old when the brand-new games you played when you were 38 are behind glass in a museum... :lol:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2005, 05:32:36 AM »

The first time I felt old was when I heard a song I loved in High School on a 'classic rock' station.

So I guess I'm not old, I'm 'classic'.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: