http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 11:40:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game of the Month Discussion, Feb 2009: Beyond Good & Evil  (Read 7180 times)
Godzilla Blitz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »

Cool. Thanks, guys.

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2009, 06:53:40 AM »

Made some good progress over the past hour. I needed one hint though. I knew what I wanted to do, but couldn't figure out how to get the game to let me do it.

Big spoiler if you haven't made it past the slaughterhouse yet:
Spoiler for Hiden:
For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to "examine" the jump boots to get the codes. I tried standing in a certain spot and accessing my inventory, I tried pushing all sorts of buttons. I tried giving them to myself. After about 45 minutes, I gave up. Who knew that you just had to rotate them! I never knew we could rotate inventory. Oh, well. Two hints so far isn't bad on the whole.

And not so much of a spoiler, but here's where I am:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Took me a while to get the pearls I needed to upgrade the spacecraft to get to the moon, but now I'm here. I'm guessing is the final area. I'm a bit stuck at the moment, but am getting really sleepy so I gave up for the night. I'll push on tomorrow night, I hope. I'd love to finish this weekend.

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2009, 09:33:49 AM »

Finished BG&E tonight/this morning.

Comments:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Not bad overall. I grew to like it more as it went along although it never really 'clicked' with me. Nice to play as a casual style game for most of it.

Had it's moments, decent music, decent combat and animations/graphics. Also had some annoying problems like a sometimes messy camera and slow controls.

I'd rate it a 7-ish on the high side.

Post game comments...
Spoiler for Hiden:
Damn end guy. After making combat a cakewalk throughout the rest of the game, that was really ticking me off.

Was hoping for something better at the end I guess. I can see a sequel happening still I guess, but I won't rush out to get it in any hurry.

Would I play again? Maybe, but not any time soon.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2009, 05:52:09 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on February 21, 2009, 09:33:49 AM

Finished BG&E tonight/this morning.

Comments:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Not bad overall. I grew to like it more as it went along although it never really 'clicked' with me. Nice to play as a casual style game for most of it.

Had it's moments, decent music, decent combat and animations/graphics. Also had some annoying problems like a sometimes messy camera and slow controls.

I'd rate it a 7-ish on the high side.

Post game comments...
Spoiler for Hiden:
Damn end guy. After making combat a cakewalk throughout the rest of the game, that was really ticking me off.

Was hoping for something better at the end I guess. I can see a sequel happening still I guess, but I won't rush out to get it in any hurry.

Would I play again? Maybe, but not any time soon.

Congrats on finishing it! I'm hoping to finish soon as well. I'm very much in the same boat as you at this point. I've enjoyed it quite a bit at times. At times I've gotten locked in and I don't want to stop playing. But it hasn't grabbed me the way I thought it might given its high regard. It's taken an effort to go back to it at times. There have been a few great moments, though.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2009, 08:14:59 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on February 21, 2009, 06:53:40 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Took me a while to get the pearls I needed to upgrade the spacecraft to get to the moon, but now I'm here. I'm guessing is the final area. I'm a bit stuck at the moment, but am getting really sleepy so I gave up for the night. I'll push on tomorrow night, I hope. I'd love to finish this weekend.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Realizing that you had to go into the volcano was the place I figured most first time players would get stuck. I don't know if there are any hints in the game towards getting you there, but the fact that I remembered that bit (as well as the secret of the boots) helped me get to the moon very quickly after the slaughterhouse this time through.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2009, 07:25:52 AM »

Finished! Woot!

I really enjoyed the final mission. Just spectacular. Music, pacing, action. Wow. That was great. I was totally sucked in. This game just kept getting better and better. It's a shame that it escalates like that, because if you give up on it in the first half you miss the best parts of the game.

I didn't think the last fight was that bad.  I actually enjoyed it. I reloaded once because I burned through my meds trying to figure out one spot, then made it through the second time with some room to spare. I thought it was challenging yet fair.

Overall I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10. Took me about 16 hours total, I'd guess, figuring in a few reloads.

Who knows where the Game of the Month Club will go, but so far I'm glad we started it. I wouldn't have finished this game if it weren't for the fact that others were playing it too. I would have given up in the factory and never come back. I'm very glad I played it, and very glad I stuck with it to the end.

Quote from: Teggy on February 21, 2009, 08:14:59 PM

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on February 21, 2009, 06:53:40 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Realizing that you had to go into the volcano was the place I figured most first time players would get stuck. I don't know if there are any hints in the game towards getting you there, but the fact that I remembered that bit (as well as the secret of the boots) helped me get to the moon very quickly after the slaughterhouse this time through.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Double-H mentions the volcano at one point, and one of the pedestrian's in the district says something about it as well, so I didn't lose much time there. Then I stumbled onto Races 1 & 2, which I hadn't won yet. They were cake compared to 3 & 4, so it took me very little time to get the 30 pearls for the space engine. The two places I lost the most time getting stuck were looking for the last fuse in the factory and figuring out that I was supposed to rotate the damn jump boots. I probably lost 2+ hours on those two places.

El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2009, 05:46:25 PM »

I know it's late, but here in Canada you can get the PC edition free in packages of cheese.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/get-beyond-good-evil-free-withcheese/946/

"Goonies never say die"
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2009, 06:09:16 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on February 23, 2009, 05:46:25 PM

I know it's late, but here in Canada you can get the PC edition free in packages of cheese.

Now that is funny! Pizza, anyone?  icon_biggrin

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2009, 06:49:49 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on February 23, 2009, 06:09:16 PM

Quote from: El-Producto on February 23, 2009, 05:46:25 PM

Now that is funny! Pizza, anyone?  icon_biggrin

Obviously, word got out that it was the Gaming Trend Game of the Month. Expect cheese and game sales to boom. It's a win-win.

I'm thinking pretty soon we'll get publishers asking us to make their game the Game of the Month, and members will get free games. That too is a win-win. smile

And the March Voting Thread is up! Vote now, vote often!

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2009, 04:52:45 AM »

Three days to go to make it before the official ending date. There's still time!  nod

Anyone out there close to finishing?

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 26, 2009, 03:47:01 PM »

I have given up at this point.  I tried for 3 hours repeating the race over and over and over again trying to get in to the damn slaughterhouse with no luck.  I would really enjoy this game if it weren't for the horrendously controlled hovercraft parts.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2009, 03:57:07 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on February 26, 2009, 03:47:01 PM

I have given up at this point.  I tried for 3 hours repeating the race over and over and over again trying to get in to the damn slaughterhouse with no luck.  I would really enjoy this game if it weren't for the horrendously controlled hovercraft parts.

Did you look at a guide at all? You actually don't even have to do any of the races.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2009, 04:02:47 PM »

I'm close, If I play it for a couple more hours tonight I will finish it. I will try. If I get it done on Saturday does that count? I mean this is a short month.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2009, 06:13:48 PM »

Regarding getting into the slaughterhouse...
Spoiler for Hiden:
A little more than halfway around the course in Race 3, there is a red laser gate in the left-hand side wall. Jump over that using your handy dandy hovercraft jump function and you'll be in the slaughterhouse pronto.

Quote from: Scraper on February 26, 2009, 04:02:47 PM

I'm close, If I play it for a couple more hours tonight I will finish it. I will try. If I get it done on Saturday does that count? I mean this is a short month.

Your grade will suffer!!! No late work accepted!!! icon_twisted

Just kidding, of course. Fuzzy deadlines rock. No need for us to cause stress and ulcers.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 26, 2009, 06:55:23 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on February 26, 2009, 06:13:48 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
A little more than halfway around the course in Race 3, there is a red laser gate in the left-hand side wall. Jump over that using your handy dandy hovercraft jump function and you'll be in the slaughterhouse pronto.

Yeah I found where to get in, the problem is after 3 hours of attempting to jump the red lasers only to hit them and end up blowing up, causing me to have to restart the race which takes about 35 seconds for it to start all for me to jump and not clear the lasers, even with using boosts and the jets to no avail I just can't handle trying it any more.

I haven't actually done any of the races purely because I detest the hovercraft control so much.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 26, 2009, 07:26:51 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on February 26, 2009, 06:55:23 PM

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on February 26, 2009, 06:13:48 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Yeah I found where to get in, the problem is after 3 hours of attempting to jump the red lasers only to hit them and end up blowing up, causing me to have to restart the race which takes about 35 seconds for it to start all for me to jump and not clear the lasers, even with using boosts and the jets to no avail I just can't handle trying it any more.

I haven't actually done any of the races purely because I detest the hovercraft control so much.

I can understand how frustrating that can get. That's too bad about the PC controls. The PS2 controls were very good for the most part. I'm usually pretty clumsy at tricky action sequences, but on the PS2 I thought the hovercraft races were pretty easy and jumping was cake. I'd get incredibly frustrated if I couldn't jump over that gate because of the controls. I don't think it was intended to be hard to do.

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 28, 2009, 03:28:38 PM »

The final hours tick away...

Can we get more than four finishers?

Homard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 28, 2009, 03:49:34 PM »

Well, I officially have no hope.  Sick kids, sick me equals no time or desire to game for the last half of the month.  I'll bump this thread up in a few month when I finally catch up. icon_cry
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: