http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 05:45:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: game of the (1/2) year  (Read 4116 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2009, 04:34:44 PM »

If PC titles are included then my vote goes to Demigod, even with its horribly botched launch and first month.  Plants vs Zombies a close second.

On the console side nothing's really jumping out at me.  Ghostbusters gets a big thumbs up, Red Faction: Guerrilla as well, but I don't see either being in the running for GOTY come December.

Vote for Ghostbusters, I guess.

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me, Caveman.  Street Fighter IV is the winner.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2009, 04:34:52 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on July 01, 2009, 04:21:06 PM

Blood Bowl is obscenely awesome. I plan on owning 3 versions- PC, 360 and PSP.  It took Chaos League to the next level.

I want Bloodbowl but I don't have any funds for it....  Next week it shall be mine

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2009, 04:38:38 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 01, 2009, 04:19:45 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 01, 2009, 03:25:59 PM

Quote from: Gratch on July 01, 2009, 02:42:02 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 01, 2009, 02:27:50 PM

Quote from: Gratch on July 01, 2009, 01:53:23 PM

Quote from: Qantaga on July 01, 2009, 01:32:12 PM

Quote from: Gratch on July 01, 2009, 11:27:35 AM

Faerie Solitaire

Dead serious.

Thanks for the link Gratch. I'll have to give this a try.

I'll have an "official" review up for it in a couple days.  Bottom line:  at $7, this may be the biggest no-brainer in gaming history.  smile

This is also up on Big Fish Games.  Make sure you also play Fairway Solitaire, which Faerie Solitaire is based on (to the point where I'm a little irked that the Fairway Solitaire team are having their thunder stolen). 

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/2427/fairway-solitaire/index.html

FWIW, the Fairway team actually helped the Subsoap guys put together Faerie Solitaire.

Fairway is also great, but having played both, I much prefer the Faerie Solitaire flavor.  Partly because the fantasy aesthetic appeals to me more, and partly because the ridiculous difficultly of Fairway was a real turn-off.  Having to play courses 40 times before getting finally getting that one lucky draw was not exactly my idea of a good time.

I hadn't heard they were involved.  Good to know.

As for the difficulty, I've never had to replay a course or hole yet.  Not sure why you faced that.

You must have gotten pretty lucky then.  I started hitting courses I needed to replay about midway through (one of the "water" courses damn near made me throw my mouse through the screen), and it just keeps getting tougher and tougher.  I've heard the last dozen or so are damn near impossible.

Ah, I haven't made it to the end yet.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2009, 05:07:59 PM »

Plants vs Zombies

30+ hours of playing and I'm still having a blast.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2009, 05:35:36 PM »

I've only finished one game released this year, and that was Red Faction.  I'm halfway through Prototype, but I think I'm done with that one.  All the other games I've finished this year have been from years past.

Plants vs. Zombies was good, but I only got maybe 1/3 of the way through, and haven't felt the need to play since.  DoW2, Empire, and Demigod have been bought but not played yet, because I'm dumb.  I'm going to start in on Blood Bowl tonight.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2009, 05:49:41 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 01, 2009, 04:13:06 PM

Another vote for Red Faction: Guerrilla here.  More than just a cool physics-based destruction engine, the developers smoothly worked it in alongside a resource-based upgrade system, a morale system that encourages smart game play, an arsenal of punchy sci-fi weapons to collect, and dynamic reinforcements that shift battle lines on the fly.

The most disappointing aspect of RF:G is that it hasn't inspired more of a multiplayer following here on GamingTrend.  It's certainly one of the best games I've played in a long time.

-Autistic Angel
I now find myself interested in this Red Faction: Guerilla. I was under the impression it was just another next gen shooter.

As far as my favorite game fo this half year, I think there are a lot of candidates I still need to play. Plants vs Zombies has probably gotten the most play but that's mostly due to the pick up and play nature of the game. I've played Sim 3, UFC: Undisputed, Fight Night Round 4 and Prototype all pretty obsessively plus the XBLA Magic game. Do I have to choose?

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2009, 09:21:03 PM »

Coop, there are two demos for RF:G available for you to try, one for SP, the other MP.  I haven't gone back to try to finish the SP demo yet, as I must not be playing it right.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2009, 09:26:59 PM »

I think Killzone 2 is the only new game I have played this year. So, Killzone 2.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2009, 09:43:02 PM »

the only two releases from this year that i've actually picked up are inFAMOUS and Prototype...both good games, but i think i have to give the edge to Prototype.  while i've really enjoyed both games, there's something about the ridiculous powers and unending destruction of Prototype that i just found to be more fun.  i think that both games are definitely worth playing though icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2009, 09:57:24 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 01, 2009, 09:21:03 PM

Coop, there are two demos for RF:G available for you to try, one for SP, the other MP.  I haven't gone back to try to finish the SP demo yet, as I must not be playing it right.

think out of the box in the demo - If you play it like a shooter, you WILL die...think full destruction enabled, and go for the target!

spoilerz if you REALLY want help:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Get a vehicle to help you "get towards" your goal speedily and messily :-D

A new one
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2009, 10:05:33 PM »

I guess it is Prototype for me, even though I'm currently ridiculously frustrated with it. 

NBA 2K9 still gets the most play, but it came out in 2008.

Go Gunners...
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2009, 10:06:48 PM »

Btw - game of the year for me

Xbox: Prototype

PS3: Infamous

PC: Bloodbowl easily

A new one
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2009, 02:04:36 AM »

Haven't purchased a game yet this year. It's my longest streak since coming back to consoles...
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2009, 08:12:57 AM »

Interesting enough the 2 games that have impressed me the most for the 1st 1/2 of the year are
Halo Wars and Boom Blox Bash Party. I also really enjoyed RF:G, Prototype, RE5 and House of the Dead Overkill.

I've still yet to play SMT: Devil Summoner 2, Ghostbusters, SMT: Devil Survivor or Street Fighter IV, so maybe one of those will end up impressing me the most.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2009, 12:11:13 PM »

Wow, I totally forgot that I DID buy Resident Evil 5. I guess I would have to call that my game of the half year.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2009, 12:37:14 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 01, 2009, 09:57:24 PM

think out of the box in the demo - If you play it like a shooter, you WILL die...think full destruction enabled, and go for the target!

Yeah, it's absolutely not a shooter.  It's a destruction game, lol.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2009, 12:48:57 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on July 02, 2009, 12:37:14 PM

Quote from: Razgon on July 01, 2009, 09:57:24 PM

Yeah, it's absolutely not a shooter.  It's a destruction game, lol.

It's funny how often I just hop in the tankiest vehicle I can find and start ramming the hell out of whatever building needs to come down.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2009, 02:56:51 PM »

I'm partial to Remote Charges, myself.  I like how they detonate in sequence: a series of small bursts, the creaking groan of the surviving load-bearing supports as their neighbors buckle, and finally -- if you did it just right -- the staged implosion of the entire building.

Actually, my favorite missions are the House Arrests.  Reaching the prisoners is usually easy enough, but shepherding them safely into a getaway car before enemy reinforcements lock down your avenues of escape can get tough without the aid of a few well-placed booby traps.  The terrain and building placement make every one play out differently, too, so the strategy that works in one place might just get everyone killed in another.

God, I can't wait to play Geezers Gone Guerrilla with everyone!  Some people might say it's just because I want to use my sledge hammer to smash PhillyPeteRock's skull into paste, but personally, I prefer "jelly."

-Autistic Angel
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2009, 03:10:42 PM »

Red Faction Guerrilla, easily. Even more so because I didn't like it at first, went back and gave it another try and then played straight through. I'm going to go back and replay the campaign on Casual and take as much time as it needs to explore all the little bits, without worrying so much about unlocking the next zone. There are still a couple of mission types, like hostage rescue, where I completely suck and I'll like to go back and give those more attention.

Honorary menu to Fuel. I really liked it at first, but dammit the races have gotten too hard for me and the way the zone unlocks are structured it's simply impossible for me unlock the last four (of seventeen) zones. That's poor damn design. I just hope they offer "old geezer" DLC that for a fee unlocks everything. Bastards  slywink

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2009, 03:48:52 PM »

I have only played 3 2009 games this year so far, Red Faction, Dawn of War 2, and Killzone 2

While none of those deserves GOTY, I think the best of the three would have have to be Dawn of War 2. 

Here's hoping to a better 2nd half.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2009, 04:17:53 PM »

top honors so far:

RFG, for all the reasons that have been mentioned.  just a damn fun game with a destruction engine that sets the standard. if they made an arcade game using it ala boom blox, i would buy it in a heartbeat.

infamous, while taking a back seat to prototype (which i haven't yet played) does a lot right despite some issues.  i for one had a blast in it and even though i don't feel the need to go through again for the good side, i had a lot of fun, throughout the game.

ghostbusters, for making the dream of millions of fans come true.  great effects, story, humor, cast support, and solid gameplay, with mp to boot.  this is how you make a game out of a movie.  if other movie games were this good, we would not view them with disdain.  we would love them. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2009, 04:21:10 PM »

I downloaded and tried the SP demo twice, and it left a bad taste in my mouth both times, even though I felt it was fairly easy.

The first time I tried it I knew nothing of the game. I beat the demo, but didn't like it. Then I heard all the praise for the game, so I tried it again to see if it would click. It didn't. So either it is a terrible SP demo, or the game just isn't for me.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2009, 05:04:50 PM »

mlb 09 the show

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2009, 05:10:57 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on July 02, 2009, 04:21:10 PM

I downloaded and tried the SP demo twice, and it left a bad taste in my mouth both times, even though I felt it was fairly easy.

The first time I tried it I knew nothing of the game. I beat the demo, but didn't like it. Then I heard all the praise for the game, so I tried it again to see if it would click. It didn't. So either it is a terrible SP demo, or the game just isn't for me.

The SP demo only represents half of the game really. You get a basic feel for the combat/destructible environments, but totally misses on the open world/exploration aspects of the game. If the gameplay itself didn't click with you, you'd likely not enjoy the full game, but if you simply felt that the mission/environment was too simple, the full game improves upon this aspect.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2009, 05:45:20 PM »

You take that single player demo, and you rinse and repeat.  Just in a different map.  The destruction is cool, but everything else just gets boring after awhile.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2009, 07:26:00 AM »

Quote from: naednek on July 02, 2009, 05:45:20 PM

You take that single player demo, and you rinse and repeat.  Just in a different map.  The destruction is cool, but everything else just gets boring after awhile.

show me a game that isnt rinse and repeat in some fashion? Its based on an engine, and you do stuff limited within that engine of course. The few games I can remember that has tried to have different kinds of gameplay never were that succesfull, since they cant focus on one particular.

anyways - I love Red Faction, the setting and mood is perfect for me, and wrecking crew (Hotseat MP mode) is fantastic! Best MP I've tried in YEARS!

A new one
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2009, 05:25:01 PM »

Actually, I'm going to go back on my original vote and say "1 vs 100"... which interestingly enough hasn't been mentioned in this thread.

I've been loving this (even if it is only in beta) - playing trivia against the wife is awesome. The questions aren't as horrible as they were when the game first started, and the only complaint I have is that the game isn't available to play often enough.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2009, 03:27:15 PM »

I have to say that I haven't seen one or played one that is GotY material for 2009, but I do think that the fall/holiday titles will have many candidates if they all release on time.

I just started playing Star Ocean: The Last Hope which has decent quality and gameplay.

Sacred 2 captured a great deal of my playing time, but too glitchy and not enough polish to call it Game of the Year

RE5 had a good deal of polish, great co-op and replay values, but poor AI

Some of the pieces are there in these and other games, just not enough to grant the title IMHO

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2009, 06:00:44 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on July 01, 2009, 04:21:06 PM

Blood Bowl is obscenely awesome. I plan on owning 3 versions- PC, 360 and PSP.  It took Chaos League to the next level.

I got Blood Bowl today and holy cow, what a great game. 2009 has been a strong year for games for me already!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2009, 10:24:26 PM »

Fallout 3 for me.  Yes I realize I'm very late to the party.  I can't believe Blood Bowl isn't going to be on the PS3!  I do have a DS and a PSP but I suspect those iterations just might not be quite the same.  Perhaps I'll get it for the PC once I get a new one of those and the game drops in price.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2009, 11:30:44 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on July 05, 2009, 10:24:26 PM

Fallout 3 for me.  Yes I realize I'm very late to the party.  I can't believe Blood Bowl isn't going to be on the PS3!  I do have a DS and a PSP but I suspect those iterations just might not be quite the same.  Perhaps I'll get it for the PC once I get a new one of those and the game drops in price.

fallout 3 didn't come out in 2009...
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2009, 07:53:44 AM »

It did for me!
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2009, 10:25:48 PM »

I'm going with Ghostbusters.  Movie games are never done right, and this one has done it right and in a way which builds on the ideas and the franchise in a way which resonates, due to the evident TLC in it's creation.  The  probability that this would be crap was really high going in, and instead they hit a home run.  From Tobin's Spirit Guide, to the Achievement names everything is just fantastic.  That to me is a more impressive statement than any of the praises heaped here on Red Faction (which I haven't played, but which sounds fun - I've d/l'd the demo, but it's gonna have to wait until I've finished Ghostbusters).

"Bustin' makes me feel good!"

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2009, 11:20:16 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on July 04, 2009, 03:27:15 PM

I have to say that I haven't seen one or played one that is GotY material for 2009, but I do think that the fall/holiday titles will have many candidates if they all release on time.

I'm with Damage on this one.  Nothing so far, but no doubt some of the Fall and Winter releases will fit the bill.  High hopes for Heavy Rain myself.  The rest of my big wants are next year.  My big problem is that I KNOW most, if not all, of the uber titles coming out now will be on sale for $10 at the end of this year, as they always are, and I will pick up 10-20 of them and not have time to play them no doubt.  So, not sure if I will be able to get an accurate assessment of this years titles til this time next year. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2009, 11:54:36 PM »

My vote goes to Bloodbowl hands down.  I love Demigod in concept, but even after 2 months I'm still having problems with it that render it less than fun.

Bloodbowl has some issues as well, but they haven't hampered my overall fun.  It should be illegal to love a game this much. smile

BF:1943 will provide some distraction from BB for awhile.

(Soulchilde, looking forward to some BB with ya!)

We've got plenty of candidates coming up from Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, Forza 3, Modern Warfare 2 and more.  I'd be giddy if I had a job to afford them. heh
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2009, 12:32:09 AM »

As of right now it is Rise of the Argonauts.  The story has grabbed me and won't let go.  I also feel like I'm in the original Jason & the Argonauts movie.  It's all about story in this one.  Captivating game.  Unless something else comes along (have not tried Ghostbusters yet) this will be my game of the year. 

By the Gods, Alcemae my love will live again!

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2009, 01:40:54 AM »

Quote from: Starshifter on July 07, 2009, 12:32:09 AM

As of right now it is Rise of the Argonauts.  The story has grabbed me and won't let go.  I also feel like I'm in the original Jason & the Argonauts movie.  It's all about story in this one.  Captivating game.  Unless something else comes along (have not tried Ghostbusters yet) this will be my game of the year. 

i forgot all about that game,and i didnt even realise it actually got released...as a fan of the old movies,i was quite looking forward to that game

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2009, 01:42:49 AM »

I love Cinemagic so much I stole your sig Starshifter

Go Gunners...
KC

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2009, 01:57:02 AM »

Quote from: Starshifter on July 07, 2009, 12:32:09 AM

I played this for a couple of hours a few months ago.  I liked the combat and story, but the incessant long load times killed all sense of immersion.  Installing the game to the 360 HD didn't help much.  Since I bought this game used from Gamestop I was able to return it before the 7 day refund grace period. 
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2009, 02:15:46 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on July 06, 2009, 11:20:16 PM

Quote from: DamageInc on July 04, 2009, 03:27:15 PM

I'm with Damage on this one.  Nothing so far, but no doubt some of the Fall and Winter releases will fit the bill.  High hopes for Heavy Rain myself.  The rest of my big wants are next year.  My big problem is that I KNOW most, if not all, of the uber titles coming out now will be on sale for $10 at the end of this year, as they always are, and I will pick up 10-20 of them and not have time to play them no doubt.  So, not sure if I will be able to get an accurate assessment of this years titles til this time next year.  

Think of this question more of:  What is the best game you have played so far this year that came out this year?  You guys are acting like if you answer something you will be forever committed to it and can't ever think any game the rest of the year was better.  It's simple, really, I promise. smile

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: