http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 04:57:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Disucssion: Fable [Xbox]  (Read 8755 times)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2004, 01:52:40 PM »

So, sitting here with about 6 days before Fable drops I have one question:

Are you going to get the game or have the reviews turned you off?

I personally am probably in the latter section.  I will definitely rent the game unless we're provided a review copy, but this game has gone straight from instant buy to the rent section because of the questionability of its length.  I believe I can rent it and be done with it before the rental period ends.

How about you guys?

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2004, 02:45:16 PM »

Who here took advantage of the $30 with free shipping deal that we linked to here from the forums? Sure, I won't be able to play the game for a few days, but my gaming box is a bit full as it is.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ingrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2004, 03:25:31 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
So, sitting here with about 6 days before Fable drops I have one question:

Are you going to get the game or have the reviews turned you off?

I personally am probably in the latter section.  I will definitely rent the game unless we're provided a review copy, but this game has gone straight from instant buy to the rent section because of the questionability of its length.  I believe I can rent it and be done with it before the rental period ends.

How about you guys?

The reviews confirmed what I expected, with the exception of game length.  However, since I planned on playing 3 very unique characters (at least) through the game, it warrants a buy for me.
There are different ways to develop your character and see what he winds up looking like, which adds some replay.
There are the different alignments which adds some replay. (Yes, cheapened by the temples a bit)
There are still 4 (predictable) endings to see, so that adds replay value as well.
I might event try playing one of the characters I'm less attached to as gay just to see if there are any special reactions/easter eggs.  I was thinking of doing this with my truly evil mage character, not because homosexuality is evil(its not), but because it gives me the most direct option for dealing with npcs who might have a problem with it.  I'm thinking something along the lines of "the talented Mr. Ripley" in medieval times.
But most importantly, I like PM's sandboxes.  I expect to spend some time playing with the towns.   I liked Black & White and did not find it as tedious as some did, so I suspect I will enjoy this game as well.

My two favorite reviews so far are Gamespot and XBN.
Here is a link o XBN's review (Zip File of jpegs cause its a mag):
http://members.aol.com/peyton018manning/fable.zip
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2004, 07:08:00 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
My problem with Mr. M's games are typically that they are one-trick ponies.  You can train your creature....and now I'm taking it away from you.  Now you have it back, but you've probably gotten bored by now.  Have fun!

Well, Molyneaux had better games in the past that were more than "one trick ponies" (in my mind at least):

1. Populous
2. Syndicate
3. Dungeon Keeper

Obviously 1 and 3 also include the sequels.  I think Molyneaux's reputation has been tarnished by Black and White (I liked the game, although I understand people's qualms with it) and he needs it back with Fable and the upcoming Movies and B+W 2.

Isn't Peter also responsible for the awesome Magic Carpet series as well?  Hes got a great track record.  And you have to give him props on innovation on B&W.

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2004, 08:16:11 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Who here took advantage of the $30 with free shipping deal that we linked to here from the forums? Sure, I won't be able to play the game for a few days, but my gaming box is a bit full as it is.

I would have, but the Missus x-nayed that. Stupid marriage...

/grumbles

Regardless, I'll hold off on this. Right now I've got at least another three or four games that I'd like to play through before really getting into the Fall Season of gaming.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2004, 02:52:51 AM »

Quote from: "Jack Burton"
Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
My problem with Mr. M's games are typically that they are one-trick ponies.  You can train your creature....and now I'm taking it away from you.  Now you have it back, but you've probably gotten bored by now.  Have fun!

Well, Molyneaux had better games in the past that were more than "one trick ponies" (in my mind at least):

1. Populous
2. Syndicate
3. Dungeon Keeper

Obviously 1 and 3 also include the sequels.  I think Molyneaux's reputation has been tarnished by Black and White (I liked the game, although I understand people's qualms with it) and he needs it back with Fable and the upcoming Movies and B+W 2.[/

Isn't Peter also responsible for the awesome Magic Carpet series as well?  Hes got a great track record.  And you have to give him props on innovation on B&W.

He was also responsible for Theme Park & Theme Hospital. Oh, and BC is also coming out from the other satellite studio.

Actually, there is a Syndicate 2; it uses a 3d model system that allows moderate terrain damage, (ala satellite strike, etc) and is about as hard as the American Revolt addon for Syndicate. (3.5 out of 4 on the "kicked in the jimmies" scale)

I'm not sure how much involvement Peter had at the time;l think this was a release just months before he left the EA family to build Lionhead.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2004, 02:20:18 PM »

Another review is out...this time from EGM:

7.5, 8.0, 9.0

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2004, 08:37:04 PM »

Didn't this come out today?

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2004, 08:41:37 PM »

Quote from: "Balshazaar"
Didn't this come out today?

Yeah, many people are getting it today, some tomorrow.  It "shipped" today.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2004, 08:47:01 PM »

Picked it up at lunch. Should be able to put some time in tonight.

Shakedown?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2004, 08:57:39 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Shakedown?

If you're asking if CG will have a Shakedown I have no clue.  I'm probably going to rent this game, so you won't see one from me.  As for others picking it up on the staff, I have no clue.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2004, 09:05:58 PM »

If you're asking if CG will have a Shakedown

Of course I am! Where the hell else would I go for information? :wink:

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2004, 10:46:17 PM »

I should have my copy tomorrow-ish.  We'll have a shakedown and a full review by Monday-ish.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2004, 10:57:06 PM »

Thanks-ish!

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2004, 02:33:38 AM »

Played about an hour or so and I like it better than KOTOR so far.

There. I said it! biggrin

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2004, 06:31:41 PM »

So gang, any thoughts on this one? Anyone got it and can't put it down? And what's the deal with the save system. I got the impression from GG that unless I RTFM right from the get-go, I'm screwed if I save and then close out or something to that effect. Thoughts? Impressions? Availability that you've seen in stores? smile

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2004, 08:38:36 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Availability that you've seen in stores? smile

I can comment on this...it is widely available.  I stopped at Gamestop while my take out was being prepared last night and they had plenty of copies available for purchase.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2004, 09:44:21 PM »

Great game btw, not good with impressions anymore, just know that I had a great 4 hours last night and I can see myself enjoying the process of digging into the world of Albion, even if it only last a shortwhile.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2004, 02:16:10 AM »

I'm enjoying it sofar. It only came out today, and I want to run back downstairs and play more .... [Purge restrains himself] ... gotta get some sleep.

[sigh] Damned career. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2004, 05:27:26 AM »

I have an exam tomorrow but picked up Fable today thinking I would only play an hour or so of it...

Nope, 4 hours logged and it's time for my ass to pull an all-nighter.  Thanks a lot, you beautiful game, you.

TheMissingLink on PSN
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2004, 01:03:06 PM »

Crap. It's got that addictive feel to it, doesn't it? Damn...

/curses going out of town all weekend

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2004, 01:47:01 PM »

Oh you have no idea.  I'm writing my shakedown on my break.  I think you'll enjoy it. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2004, 01:56:18 PM »

Chicken Chaser.  Chicken Chaser.  That's what I get for kicking so many damn chickens in the first 30 minutes of the game.

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2004, 02:58:23 PM »

In truth, you don't have to kick that many chickens to get the title.

I kicked two chickens as a kid, and am still called that. Well, or rather was, 'till I paid to have my title changed to Ranger.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2004, 03:21:26 PM »

Chicken Punting sounds like a ton of fun by itself, but the ideas in this game and the stories I've heard have gotten me more interested in it. I may swing by Fry's on the way out of town today and grab it. smile

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2004, 05:27:42 PM »

Quote from: "Fellow"
In truth, you don't have to kick that many chickens to get the title.

I kicked two chickens as a kid, and am still called that. Well, or rather was, 'till I paid to have my title changed to Ranger.

I had my changed to Maleificus!

TheMissingLink on PSN
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2004, 06:59:20 PM »

Gabe isn't too kind to Fable in his latest post on Penny Arcade.  Wow, his thoughts usually run pretty parallel with mine on RPGs.  I was thinking of purchasing this, I think it went into the rent mode again.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2004, 07:38:05 PM »

From the Penny-Arcade article:
These people are so desperate to share their characters that they were trying to take photos of their TV screens.

Funny, somebody sent me a photo of their character snapped of the television last night!  That same person wants to go buy The Sims 2 but refuses to drop $10 on the PGR2 packs.  Sounds like TheMissingPriority to me. :twisted:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2004, 08:15:17 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
From the Penny-Arcade article:
These people are so desperate to share their characters that they were trying to take photos of their TV screens.

Funny, somebody sent me a photo of their character snapped of the television last night!  That same person wants to go buy The Sims 2 but refuses to drop $10 on the PGR2 packs.  Sounds like TheMissingPriority to me. :twisted:

You son of a BITCH!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2004, 09:17:54 PM »

So uh....what are you trying to say?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2004, 01:48:30 AM »

Back to Fable, man, I've heard plenty of complaints about this game but none of them really affect my view of the game.  I guess people were really looking forward to unrestricted access through areas of the game (there are lots of paths and shrubs blocking you inside them), I, however, don't mind it at all.  I like a lot about the game.  The voice work is TERRIFIC!  No complaints here whatsoever.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2004, 06:43:53 PM »

Protecting people is difficult! I got that little kid out of the cave after 2 attempts, luckily or I might have thrown something Fun game!!

phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2004, 06:10:50 PM »

I know this has been out for a while but I couldn't play Fable for over a week after I got it due to RL issues.

I'm really enjoying it. When I stop I want to get back in and I consider that a good sign.

No it didn't live up to it's hype, but I've learned to listen to information about Peter Molyneaux's projects through a lowered expectations filter, so I was not overly disappointed. Most of the disappointment came initially, but as you get into it, the game does draw you in and I find it quite enjoyable. I like the look, the combat/spell system, and the limited open-endedness of the side quests. And while the interface isn't as intuitive as it might be, I find that once you get used to it, it's not a problem. Nowhere near as open-ended or free ranging as, say,  Morrowind, but a good game nonetheless.

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: