http://gamingtrend.com
December 23, 2014, 05:08:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Discussion: Spider-Man 2 [All]  (Read 3797 times)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 26, 2004, 02:33:07 PM »

Probably the game I am most looking forward to in June.  The first movie's game was really quite good and the buyers of the Xbox version got some extra levels.  This time around it sounds like all the versions will be the same.

The game will have the story from the movie, but Spider-Man can also stray far away from the central plotline.  The fact is this game is basically GTA3/Vice City with Spider-Man as the main character.  There will be other Spider-Man enemies other than Doc Ock showing up as well as other friends like Black Cat.  Swinging around Manhattan is more realistic than the last game as you actually have to have an object for the web to cling onto and Spider-Man has a larger variety of attacks than he had in the last game.

The only minus uncovered so far is that the graphics may not be top-notch, but in this case I think a Spider-Man game with GTA elements in it (GTA doesn't have the best graphics either) will make this a big seller for Activision.

I'm also pumped about the movie, Spider-Man is easily my favorite hero and I probably own every comic of his from the early 80s to the mid-90s.  I still read his comic today.

This game is easily on my "To buy" list just because I've liked Treyarch's previous Spider-Man games and this game sounds promising.

I am also betting Activision thinks this will be a big seller because they've already signed on for a comic-book based Spidey game coming next year and a Spider-Man 3 game for the movie's 2007 release.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 02:35:56 PM »

In!

The first one is one of those rare games that I actually finished without playing anything else from the moment I picked it up until it was done.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 03:28:29 PM »

In!

Despite the fact that I put down the previous game after only one level.  Felt too linear.  Apparently, I'm not the only one who thought so.

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 06:28:56 PM »

In for sure.  The last Spider-Man game was great fun!
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 06:43:36 PM »

Quote from: "Driver"
In for sure.  The last Spider-Man game was great fun!

I thought it was awful, but then I was playing it on PC with a keyboard. Hopefully 2 will feel more natural now tht I have the xbox. smile

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 06:55:12 PM »

From what I understand the PC version of Spider-Man 2 is a totally different game than the console versions.

Not that it matters or anything.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 09:23:32 PM »

Sadly, because Sony didn't want ANY of the storyline to be 'ruined' the game wasn't playable at E3.  That said, the gameplay that I have seen is pretty awesome.  I'm supposed to get my hands on this before release, so I'll give you the skinny before you have to lay the cash on the counter.  I figure it'll be soon as the movie is coming up REEEAAAAL fast.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Andy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 10:11:16 PM »

picking up the 'cube version of this one as soon as it is available in Australia.

not for the first time this year a multiplatform game is being released substantially cheaper on one system (AU$99 on X-BOX and PS2, AU$69 on GCN.) I'm not sure yet whether this is a good trend...
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2004, 08:30:15 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Sadly, because Sony didn't want ANY of the storyline to be 'ruined' the game wasn't playable at E3.  That said, the gameplay that I have seen is pretty awesome.  I'm supposed to get my hands on this before release, so I'll give you the skinny before you have to lay the cash on the counter.  I figure it'll be soon as the movie is coming up REEEAAAAL fast.

It wasn't playable at all this year? Huh. That's odd because last year Eldon and I got to check it out on the floor and what shell of it was available was frickin' awesome. Climbing to the top of the antenne on the Empire State Building, leaping off and just falling forever, then at the last second shooting out a web and swinging on to new streets defines "cool". If they've made it similar to GTA then I'm so there I'm going to break the sound barrier getting to the store on release day. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2004, 03:36:36 PM »

It's the week we've all (or at least I) have been waiting for...the release of both the game and the movie.

We will have our review up on Wednesday because there is an embargo on reviews until then unfortunately.  I have it on good authority from the person reviewing for us that the game is excellent.

My best guess at the embargo is because Sony doesn't want any movie plot points spilled before the movie opens on Wednesday...just a guess though.

Hope to have my copy today or definately tomorrow (I guess some places started selling the PS2 version on Saturday).

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 12:35:12 AM »

Anyone have this yet?  I was going to stop by my EB where it is pre-paid for, but I decided I'd play the games I rented instead and get Spider-Man 2 tomorrow (because I know for sure it will be there).  More than half the time, they forget to call me when a game comes in.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2004, 01:28:12 AM »

Good news....our review goes up one day early, so you'll be able to read it before you buy it!  Keep an eye out...only a few hours!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2004, 01:48:17 AM »

The EB robot called me...  I hope it's good!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2004, 05:05:27 AM »

Don't feel like retyping, so here's my impressions cut and pasted from the GoneGold forums:

I put in about two hours on the Xbox version tonight.

As said, the web swinging is excellent, but will definitely be a trick to get really good at. There's logic to it, it's just a matter of getting the feel. You really do have to have an idea of where it is you want to go. For example, if you want to take a corner, you have to swing wide first, and then make the corner, either by jumping off and re-attaching, or hooking onto the corner and using your momentum.

Fighting is going to take some getting used to. There's a whole slew of moves you can buy. Before I stopped, I'd bought about six. You've got an attack, a jump, a dodge, and a web button, all of which can be used for attacks. When you web an enemy, you can either tie him up, take his weapon, or swing him. This part is a bit tricky to get down, since you have to pull him in the desired direction before the webs tie him up, but if done right, he can be thrown all over the place. I'll have to put more time into learning the combat system. It's not as fluid as Ninja Gaiden, but it looks like there's possibilities.

Graphics-wise, I'm torn. On the one hand, it's impressive that they built a city this big with no fog or loading zones. That said, the mip-mapping draw in is very short, almost to the point of distraction, at least for me. The distance is about a hundred feet away or so, and it is noticeable. Also, character models and textures aren't great, and the standard NPCs don't move their lips when speaking.

Voice acting is solid, but not up to the standards of Riddick or KotOR. Toby does the voicework for Spidey, but Mary Jane is definitely not Kirsten Dunst, and the actor for Goblin's son is different too. Bruce Campbell as the narrator, otoh, is six degrees of fantastic. There's 200 hint icons all over town, and when you find one, he reads you a hint. These are always funny, and I can see seeking them out just to listen to them.

Anyway, time will tell with this one, but right now, I'm cautiously optimistic. I'd say if swinging around as Spidey sounds attractive, it's a pretty safe purchase.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2004, 12:24:56 PM »

I think I'm going to have to trade in some games to pick this one up.

The only problem is I am gradually getting a collection of games that I don't ever want to part with (ie. Prince of Persia, Halo, KOTOR).  I guess I could trade in Links, even though I love it (knowing I'll be buying the new one soon), Syberia & Amped 2 (reached a serious plateau here).

Wake up.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2004, 01:25:51 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
I guess I could trade in Links, even though I love it (knowing I'll be buying the new one soon)

How soon is soon for you?  If you're talking next year...maybe.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2004, 08:02:20 PM »

Welcome JoePez.  I'm gonna defer to Tim on this one as he has played both.  When I asked him a similar question he did say that the only version he is aware of is that the Xbox does load the levels (it only loads between levels) faster and that it supports progressive (I believe).

He'll answer when he gets a sec. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2004, 10:33:30 PM »

It was posted in the GG forum that you cannot retry missions that you have failed. Is that correct?

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2004, 11:18:25 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
It was posted in the GG forum that you cannot retry missions that you have failed. Is that correct?

For the most part this is wrong. Depending on mission, you'll respawn instantly, with only a slight loading time to 'port' you back to the mission start point.

Same thing if you die while on a mission - odds are you'll respawn rather close to where you dropped in the mission point.

Going for the photo shots from JJJ? You'll be able to retry. The travel challenges? Same thing. The story missions to trail somebody? Same thing.

The only 'missions' you can't retry are the ones you'll get from citizens. IE: The save somebody missions. You get one chance at those. But they also happen so often via the 'generic citizen needs help' listing, that you'll do them again.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2004, 03:10:46 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "stiffler"
The only 'missions' you can't retry are the ones you'll get from citizens. IE: The save somebody missions. You get one chance at those. But they also happen so often via the 'generic citizen needs help' listing, that you'll do them again.

Okay, thanks.  From the sound of those missions they are just generic missions that are random and have no effect on the overall story arc.  That is fine.  I was worried I wouldn't be able to complete the entire game if I died or failed one of those.  Thanks for clearing that up!

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2004, 05:31:42 AM »

I dunno about the mission failure thing.  I tried a Mary Jane mission (the first one), where you have a certain amount of time to get to a point.  I didn't realize how short a timer it was, and didn't move fast enough.  I failed, and I didn't get any option to retry it.  Maybe it won't matter, or maybe I'll get another try later, but now it looks like I'm SOL.  If I am, that's really going to bug me.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2004, 04:10:15 AM »

I'm having a great time with this game, just swinging around beingSpidey!.  The game certainly gives you the feel of swinging around a huge city.  The graphics could be better, sure, but everything moves so smoothly that I am not too upset about that.  I would rather have the slick controls than eye candy.

I have found fighting to be easy so far, though I was killed quickly in the first big encounter.  Locking the camera is key here, and so far it is very well done.  Even the way they incorporated the Spidey-sense makes, well, sense.

There are tons of secrets scattered about the city.  Besides the 200 hints, there are skyscraper icons and secret icons.  I have to say if I find all those something spectacular better happen!  The city is so huge that I doubt I ever will.

Web-swinging is intuitive.  It flows well.  I am using the "normal" (ie. not simplified) swinging and have no problems getting around corners.  It's as if the game knows what I want to do.

All the moves are starting to give me a bit of a fit, however.  I have purchased all of the available ones, and truth be told, only pull them off on accident.  Perhaps I will locate a faq and tape the moves to the case for quick reference, but as it is now I just use the regular default moves.

I am pleased with the game.  I haven't put that much time into it yet, but I am having fun with it.  I feel guilty leaving the common folks to fend for themselves, but even a superhero has to take a breather and advance the story.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: