http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 12:09:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Discussion: Nintendo's Classic Game GBA Releases  (Read 1804 times)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 01, 2004, 06:24:06 PM »

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks Nintendo is smoking crack for releasing The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Brothers, Xevious, Bomberman, Donkey Kong, Excitebike, Ice Climber and Pac-Man for the price of $19.99 each for the GameBoy Advance.

I could see all of them together or 2 releases with Zelda at the top of one and SMB at the top of the other for $19.99, but each game?  C'mon!  So, is anyone going to buy any of these?  Are you going to feel dirty if you pick up one and get raped for $19.99?  Am I totally off base for thinking $19.99 is a rip-off?  Discuss.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 06:26:09 PM »

You're are completely on-base.  Nintendo is completely on crack.  That is a total ripoff.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 06:29:49 PM »

I would be happy with all but one of those games (I'm not a big Xevious fan...I have it for my Atari 7200 I think), but not for $19.99 a piece.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 06:43:21 PM »

I'd buy them if they were ALL on one cartridge for $19.99.

As I said somewhere else (I think it was gonegold forums), the problem with these packages is that they have in many cases already been re-released. Like, Super Mario Brothers - you can find a copy of SMB DX for the gameboy color - it's the same game, but with a challenge mode. So they've already released the game with MORE

And Pac-Man has been re-released in about 20 collections.

I think that in the face of collections like the Activision Anthology, Intellivision Lives, the Sonic 7 game pack on GC, Namco Museum, etc. All of these titles fall horribly short. They're barely worth the cartridge they're printed on in this case.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 07:36:05 PM »

I really hate them at that price point.  It would be a neat collection cart.  Hell, if they were $5 I would probably buy them all.

I thought about Bomberman.  I would think about Zelda, but I haven't started A Link to the Past, and the one in development looks great.

This is like a bad joke on Nintendo's part.  I hope they don't sell a single copy.

Nintendo could make a mint with collections like those mentioned.  Put one must-have title and sprinkle it with mediocre titles and I would snap them up in a heartbeat.  Money would roll in.  I thought they did some nice things, like the Zelda GC collection.  Then they do this...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 01:19:37 AM »

Take a look at the Japanese sales chart at 1Up - 10 of the top 20 overall games are these GBA rereleases, and I would assume they were at least the equivalent of $20 or more there.  They must think they will sell well at that price in the US, but I don't see that happening.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 02:06:52 AM »

I'm willing to bet you guys don't understand the stupidity of hte general consumer, anectdotal evidence, but when I managed an EB I knew tons of customers who'd kill for these things..

It's sad really.

However, you may want to look at how these things are being released, "limited special edition". Which isn't too limited when it comes to Nintendo. Still, these things are being thought of as Collector's Items, As they are in Japan. When you think of it that way, if it really was a collector's item, like in Japan, and is been considered by retailers here, then it's not too ridiculous. No reasonable collector would buy these games in a collection...

Okay Enough justification of what they're doing.

Now what I really think.
It's a big freaking ripoff. I think it's retarded for them to sell them at 20 bucks a pop.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 05:07:04 AM »

At least in Japan they are numbered and have that neat little binder to put them in.  The Japanese must be like Devil, they are IN on everything that comes out! :wink:

Can't wait to see the sales numbers.  At least the difference between Zelda and, say, Ice Climber.  As somebody said, these games are already out in some form or another, and they are almost certainly vastly superior to these.  Will Nintendo fans buy anything?  We'll see.  Maybe they will just sell each little mini-game from WarioWare as seperate titles on the DS?

I am still a little pissed about the different "colors" that companies put out. Like Bomberman Max 2 Blue/White, etc.  I can't pick a color because I can't decide which stupid features are better.  So I picked none.  Bummer.

I don't know why this bothers me so much.  Probably because it's just so blatent.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: