http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 12:26:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Discussion: NCAA Football 2005  (Read 14150 times)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2004, 03:03:30 PM »

My NCAA Football 2005 Review is now up.  I agree with many of you here, specifically phormio with his NCAA 2004 v1.1 post.  I scored it lower than last year's version, but I still think it deserves a score in the 90s.

I've heard rumblings of EA possibly trying to do something about the slowdown.  It is happening in all situations, so there's not one quick "fix" to it all it seems.  Even some people who said they weren't seeing slowdown are now seeing slowdown.  This may end up being another recall type thing.

OS also now has Gagnon39's roster file for download.  You can download it here.  It should be as easy as moving the .zip file from Explorer straight to the Action Replay screen in the Memory card section.  People are experiencing problems though, so your results may vary.  I will load them tonight and let you know what I find.

If EA's servers ever come under control, would someone like to play the Xbox version at some point?  I'm gone for most of this weekend, so we'd have to set something up.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2004, 06:19:15 PM »

I will be glad to play you.  I will send a friend request.  I am on vacation for the next 9 days so I should be online every night  :lol:

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2004, 06:46:26 PM »

I fixed my slowdown by turning my video to normal and sound to mono.  Working good now.  If anyone wants to play me add soulbringer007  Me and the sooners are always up for a challenge.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2004, 07:06:08 PM »

Quote from: "soulbringer"
sound to mono

[sarcasm]Woo!  Great use of my Dolby Digital Receiver and powerful speakers![/sarcasm]

Seriously, this could be a problem on the lines of the draft import on Madden last year.  Hopefully enough people will complain that EA will switch it.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2004, 07:18:51 PM »

Didn't ESPN have some problem with Dolby Digital and Online play last year?  What the hell is going on with 5.1 sound that makes it so hard to not fuck up?

gellar
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2004, 07:32:01 PM »

Quote from: "gellar"
Didn't ESPN have some problem with Dolby Digital and Online play last year?  What the hell is going on with 5.1 sound that makes it so hard to not fuck up?

Yeah, you'd get disconnected after the game was done no matter the situation if you had 5.1 enabled on the Xbox dashboard.  However, that was more an annoyance than this for many people on the OS board and other boards I've been to.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2004, 07:39:58 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Quote from: "gellar"

Yeah, you'd get disconnected after the game was done no matter the situation if you had 5.1 enabled on the Xbox dashboard.  However, that was more an annoyance than this for many people on the OS board and other boards I've been to.

Agreed... this would annoy me more if I was affected by it.  However... I don't notice any slowdown issues.  Using 5.1 sound and 480p, but not widescreen.

Very odd.

gellar
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2004, 03:21:09 AM »

Played a little more tonight and I'm going back to my assesment from every other year - This game sucks.

Super DBs for the CPU. Brick handed WRs for you. Amazing 3rd down efficiency for the CPU. Maybe they could speed the kick meter up a little more so it's merely a blur and with that maybe shrink the return stopping point to 3 pixels so it IS impossile instead of nearly impossible.

Just invited TOLEDO to the Big House and made sure I tracked the 3rd down yardage for them. About 80%. Cheating AI back again. First 2 passes defended and the 3rd one is complete for 10-30 yards in triple coverage. Meanwhile Braylon Edwards is like a ball magnet unless he's wide open under 10 yards downfield then he can't hold onto anything that gets past the super-human-30 foot diving-LBs who usually break up passes. Anyone other than Edwards? Forget it. My TE is the only other guy to catch a pass EVER and he caught 2.

I'm so pissed at myself for getting sucked in AGAIN!!!!!!!  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2004, 05:19:03 AM »

I rented it and it's pretty cool.  I'll stick to the NFL tho
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2004, 03:36:50 PM »

EA was the ignorant one not allowing their games to be on Live!.  First EA game on Live! and BAM, 100% increase in sales.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/6324/NCAA-Football-2005-Sales-Up-100-Over-Last-Year

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2004, 01:00:03 AM »

Last night I had the best game (yes I rented it)  I am USC and I'm playing in dynasty mode.  I'm playing in All Star Difficulty lvl, after fooling around in Varsity for a while.  This is my 3rd game in that lvl, and before the 3rd game I'm 1-1.  I'm playing against the Oregon State Beavers, and I'm struggling on scoring (don't know why, they are supposed to be an easy team)  It's been back and forth all game long, and I managed to tie it up 14-14 with about 30 seconds left.  I managed to stop them and forced them to punt.  However I'm out of Time outs, and they have all 3.  What do they do?  they punt the ball to me instead of just running it down and forcing OT.  They just had to wait 12 more seconds.  WEll they punt, and I run it back for a TD and I win the game.  It was amazing, one of my favorite sport gaming moments, but it also leaves me baffled.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2004, 02:09:26 PM »

thats awesome first of all congrats

second, i have noticed that in all ea games, late in the game the other teams ai is absolutely terrible, they manage the clock embarassingly bad. they never kneel the ball, hardly call timeouts, and as you say, always punt the ball when the clock is under 30 seconds---the same thing almost happened to me, i had a 50 yard return as they punted with 15 seconds left.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2004, 02:18:50 PM »

Yeah, although they don't act nearly as poorly as ESPN NFL Football last year.  The AI time management on that was one of the biggest problems with last year's game.  I certainly hope they fixed it in 2K5, we shall see soon.

Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2004, 05:52:33 PM »

I can't decide whether I like the game or not.  I can't decide if things are better than 2004 or not.  So far my games are swinging between fantastic, immersive contests and unrealistic, unbelievably stupid idiocy.

I'm midway through year two of my Kansas dynasty, and last night I went to Manhattan, KS to take on K-State in the battle for the Governor's Cup.  I was rated #25 (despite only having played two teams in the first 6 weeks, both creampuff wins - this is Bad Thing #1) and K-State was rated #21, with their stadium being the #21 Toughest place to play.  This was Bad Thing #2, because the only one having a tough time was K-State.  My first possession was a nice 65-yard drive down for a TD.  K-State gets the ball, three and out.  The whole game was like this, although my scoring was stopped after that first possession.  At least I was getting down the field, K-State was throwing incomplete passes left and right, 3 and out, no progress at all.  

For some reason, Dynasty mode starts out great in year one, and then in the second or third year suddenly it gets absurdly easy to go 11-2 or 12-1 and make it to a BCS bowl game.  I should not have had a chance in hell of hanging with that K-State team, especially at K-State, but their play was horrendous.  Unbelievably bad.  I finished the game in disgust and went on to the next game, #19 KU vs. #9 Oklahoma.  This one restored my faith somewhat, as Oklahoma lit me up and handed me a beating at home (I find it disconcerting that I'm to the point that I'm actually happier when I lose.)  

The CPU QB is horrible at passing.  The running game is pretty good, to the point that I can actually get some nice yardage most games.  In fact, it's almost too easy at times.  Defensive AI is still too smart, and DBs are too quick to react and swarm the receiver (my #1 complaint from 2004).  Honestly, how often does the intended receiver draw triple, quadruple, or even quintuple coverage right after the ball is thrown in real college football games?  Because it happens all the freaking time in this one.  Despite this, bewilderingly, I am still completing more long passes than ever.  

I am completely stumped.  I have no idea what to think of this game.  I did pick up ESPN NFL 2K5 today, so maybe the comparison will shed some light.

XBox Live:  JNacht
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2004, 06:59:27 PM »

Just FYI, I really don't play sports games much, but I'm really glad to see that you guys are enjoying the forums and using them.  biggrin

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2004, 08:16:36 PM »

Boudreaux what level are you playing on?  Because in my Nebraska dynasty when I go on the road to a tough team I am having very tough battles.  I got smoked by Texas in Arlington 35-7.  I'm playing all-american.   My recievers couldn't catch a cold for most of the game, and my QB's composure was at empty most of the time.

Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2004, 08:36:25 PM »

All-American.  I have the sliders adjusted to improve QB accuracy, pass blocking, and run performance, and to reduce defensive awareness, interceptions, and knockdowns.  Basically, I'm trying to use sliders to improve offense and diminish defense.  It ain't working, at least not for the CPU.  I'd prefer not to go up to Heisman as from what I've read, the AI isn't smarter so much as the CPU just gets "cheats".

Oh, and the other thing that bugs me is penalties.  So far the penalty calls are really low in this game, except for clipping.  I get clipping calls all the time.  Last night in that KU-KSU game, I turned all penalties up near max except clipping, which was near the min.  What do I get for penalties during the game?  Three calls - all clipping, all against me for 15 yards.  Argh.  Seriously, are the sliders reversed or something?  I never get any of the common calls, like holding or false start, even with the sliders maxed.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2004, 08:52:55 PM »

I've experienced the same problems as you except I have witnessed a few false starts from my Oline.  Also when playing online I have seen quite a few unsportsmanlike conduct fighing penalties.  I've gotta say ESPN at $20 blows away NCAA at $50.  I like what EA is trying to do with the composure stuff but too often I feel like no matter what I do as the road team I cannot win.  If my QB throws a pick on the 1st series I pretty much have to throw dump offs and hand it off for a few posessions to try and restore his confidence.  I'm sure this is realistic, but it is not fun at this point.  I think the concept of a less tallented, but poised senior laden team being able to defeat a young unstable, but more talented squad is cool.  But I think they need to tweak the system a little more.  I will keep playing this game.  But so far I am back to being dissapointed.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2004, 08:34:28 PM »

After about 40 more games on my rainy vacation and with only a GameCube to play with, I can say this game is even worse than I originally thought.  frown

Thank God it might still have some trade value!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2004, 08:43:53 PM »

Yeah.  My copy came with a sticker good for $30 in trade against Madden 2005.  At this point I am thnking about taking adavantage of it.  Now if I can just find the darn thing.  When I bought NCAA I never thought I would trade it for Madden. But...

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2004, 04:10:19 PM »

I've been hearing good things about NCAA 2005, and while I enjoy football and football-based games, I'm not a college ball fanatic by any means.  Would I enjoy it or not, what're your opinions?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2004, 04:29:06 PM »

The short answer is:  If you like football but are not partial to College Football, get ESPN.  NCAA has been running on the same engine for 3 years now.  In my opinion NCAA 2004 was a better game, except for the online play.  Also ESPN is less than half the price of NCAA.

Semaj

View Profile
lol
« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2004, 05:22:09 PM »

What about those of us who want to take the University at Buffalo and win the national championship?

How is recruiting done in the franchise mode?  Kickbacks?  Can you lose ineligibility because you illegally recruited? smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2004, 03:09:58 PM »

Honestly, there isn't enough new in 2005 to recommend it over 2004.  Except for a few minor changes, they're essentially the same game.  Considering that you can pick up a used copy of NCAA 2004 for probably $15-$20, I would get that over 2005.  I played the crap out of 2004 last year, and I thought picking up 2005 was a no-brainer.  Like denoginizer I'm actually considering trading it in and just playing 2004 again this year for my college football fix.  

Recruiting in Dynasty mode is done by assigning points to each player you're targeting and selecting a "pitch" to give them - whether you want to promote their playing time, school prestige, coach prestige, location, etc.  Each week you get feedback on the player's response or attitude toward your approaches and you can change or fine-tune it.  There's no illegal recruting or anything like that.  There are NCAA sanctions in the game, but they are related to player discipline and your responses (suspension, etc.).

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: