http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 01:53:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Discussion: NCAA Football 2005  (Read 13247 times)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2004, 02:53:38 PM »

Well, we'll see if my local EB gives me a call today or not...I'm really excited for this game.  As I've said before, I probably play more NCAA in a given year than all NFL games together (this year Madden and ESPN only).

I actually whipped out NCAA 2004 and played a season yesterday to get pumped up.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2004, 12:32:50 AM »

Just got back from EB with my copy of the game. Long story short: Gamestop had "shipping problems" and wouldn't have it until tomorrow, so I canceled my preorder with them and got it from EB instead...

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2004, 01:40:46 AM »

Got my copy too - So much for my "OUT".

Time to invite the Irish to The Big House for a beating!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2004, 02:46:03 AM »

Played Ohio St at Michigan and the first qrtr was a nightmare. They hit 3 bombs and went up a quick 21-0 while I couldn't stop a pass or complete one.

I got a little better as the game went along. I was losing 28-7 with 25 seconds left at their 6 when I got a DDE!!!

I played on default and I think I like it better than last year. There was still too many dropped passes and I haven't played an option team yet.

Can't wait 'til someone gets some rosters done!!!

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2004, 04:33:13 AM »

I read a few reviews that said that the game hasn't changed much at all since last year. except for online play.  What do you like better so far?  
My biggest questions:

-Is the control tighter?  Can you play effectively as LB or S?

-Have they improved the playbooks?  Do screen passes and draw plays actually work now?  Does cover 2 work properly?

-Have they fixed the dropped passes? I saw that you think there are still too many.  

I will probably be getting it Tuesday night anyway. But I am curious about these issues.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2004, 12:32:06 PM »

My impressions after 3 games...

Positives:

+ Nice Animations, there are some nice new tackle and running animations

+ I really love the Home Field Advantage! The crowd gets really into the game. It sounds much better than last year, especially if you have a dolby digital surround setup.

+ The dynasty mode seems a but deeper this year with players getting into trouble and wanting transfers etc...should be fun and I will really start it when the downloadable rosters come out, for those with a Action Replay.

Negatives:

- Same old, same old feeling...come on this engine has been in use FOREVER and frankly it's starting to look like crap, especially compared to ESPN and even Madden this year. EA it's time to upgrade. The SAME player intros as last year, lots of the same commentary, nothing has really changed at all in the presentation aspect of the game. Look how ESPN Football constantly inovates with their product every year. EA needs to stop resting on their ass and bring something more to the table besides 1 or 2 new features each year...

- The game plays slow. I've heard it mentioned before, but I didn't believe it until I played the game...and it is MUCH slower than last year. When you run, it feels like you are running through quicksand or something. It's not slowdown, but it's just slow gameplay. Very odd.

- Incredible bionic DB's...they all have AMAZING closing speed and leap 15 feet in the air to bat down a pass now. I was playing against some small crap team and their DB's were playing like they were all NFL Pro Bowlers! I am scared to see how a major powerhouse's DB's act. This is going to get old after awhile...

It's still the best on the market, but I really wish ESPN would come out with a college football game...maybe next year.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2004, 01:04:40 PM »

BTW, I'm playing the Xbox version.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2004, 01:24:30 PM »

I've only had time to play one game (got the game late last night), so I can't spout off on a review as of yet.  I'll agree with Hetz on what he said, although I know why they slowed down the run game.  In year's past the RB would blow by any blockers he had in front of him, so they've slowed down the run game so the RB can have more help as he moves down the field.  That's my take on it that is.

I haven't played online yet (I have the Xbox version), but I was sure to go through the online process.  The first time takes a bit as you go through the Xbox Live service and then into EA's servers.  You have to agree to some things here and there, but after the first time through it's easy to log on.  I was not too enthused by the Optimatch option.  Basically you choose what type of player you want and they actually go out and get a player.  You don't get to choose or anything...HOWEVER there are Online Lobbys which are named geographically that you can go into and talk with people and set up a game.  I'll look more into this once I have at least a few games under my belt.

I do like the new animations this year, I feel the tackling seems more realistic and much like Hetz I love the new Home Field Advantage.  It may seem like a gimmick, but man can this game get loud.

I feel the defense overall has been upgraded as well just from the one game I played.

I'm sure I'll see a lot more gameplay in the near future, but so far I am at least intrigued by this game.  I have not gone into the Dynasty section yet, I will do so.  I usually don't start a Dynasty until a roster file comes out...I hate seeing numbers.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2004, 05:06:28 PM »

Some people have been testing the slowdown in the Xbox version and I will have to look for myself.  Once again I state it didn't seem slow last night, but I was on All-American level as well, which brings me to the tests.

Someone says there is little to no slowdown if you go to Classic Camera instead of the default NCAA camera.  The other thing is slowdown is non-existant or close to it in All-American and higher difficulties.  This to me says they slow it down for those people that want a lower difficulty.  They also say this "fix" will allow you to use the default camera and see little to no slowdown.

Take this for what you will...I'll test it out myself tonight hopefully.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2004, 07:01:07 PM »

Hetz, do you have an HDTV by any chance?  A lot of the slowdown seems to be coming from HDTV people, although a lot of people aren't saying what kind of setup they have playing the game.  I personally don't have an HDTV, so maybe that's why I didn't see any slowdown...although I only played one game.

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2004, 07:06:08 PM »

was the game even formatted for hdtv, i dont recall seeing that it was, maybe its a conflict of hardware... i think the console has a hard time adapting the video stream its making to the hdtv.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2004, 07:21:36 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Can't wait 'til someone gets some rosters done!!!

How will we get these rosters?

On the PS2 I bought a SharkPort just to download the rosters, but I don't think anything like that exists for the Xbox (does it?).

If you or somebody else here gets them perhaps I can send you a memory card and you can mail them back to me?

Unfotunately I thought they really cracked down on the guys that were making the rosters last year.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2004, 07:23:21 PM »

Quote from: "jimmyorr99"
was the game even formatted for hdtv, i dont recall seeing that it was, maybe its a conflict of hardware... i think the console has a hard time adapting the video stream its making to the hdtv.

The back of the box says "HDTV 480p"  I don't have my Xbox hooked up to my big television (why?) so I can't experiment with it.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2004, 07:25:05 PM »

Yes, it's in HDTV and widescreen, much like Madden last year.  I don't have an HDTV so I don't see all those purty things slywink

As for rosters on Xbox, the Action Replay has worked fine for me for a few years now to get rosters.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2004, 07:30:20 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
As for rosters on Xbox, the Action Replay has worked fine for me for a few years now to get rosters.

Thanks, Fox.  I'm going to have to get one of those and read about the other features besides transferring rosters (though that alone is worth the price of admission!).

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2004, 07:49:40 PM »

Other features would be you can download savegames from Codejunkies website (the software actually has the ability to connect and download the official saves) or other websites.  Copy them to your HD and you can load them.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2004, 10:02:10 PM »

On second thought - I might be OUT!

With ESPN NFL moving up to the 21st, I'll probably forego the anger and just let this one come and go without me noticing! smile

Now... did anyone REALLY think I was going to let this pass without mention?

C'mon now!  You know me better than that!

Devil -  Who on earth did you think you were trying to kid with this statement!?!

Not only did you not "...let this one come and go without noticing..." ; but you were one of the (if not the) first people on our forums to get it!

You make me laugh more than you will ever know!

Anyway... as usual, I will wait about 5 or 6 days and then get your take on the game.  By then you should have a good feel for it.

BtW... how is Slugfest?  You haven't told me to rush out and buy it yet, so I am assuming it is still average?

LD

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2004, 12:55:59 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Hetz, do you have an HDTV by any chance?  A lot of the slowdown seems to be coming from HDTV people, although a lot of people aren't saying what kind of setup they have playing the game.  I personally don't have an HDTV, so maybe that's why I didn't see any slowdown...although I only played one game.

Yes, I do have an HDTV and I've heard that if you set the game to use normal mode and not widescreen/480p mode that the slowdown goes away.

Why does EA let this slip by?

*sigh*

Once again, EA codes for the PS2 and just does a sloppy port to the Xbox. Thank goodness ESPN was developed this year for the Xbox first and ported to the PS2...

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2004, 01:14:34 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Yes, I do have an HDTV and I've heard that if you set the game to use normal mode and not widescreen/480p mode that the slowdown goes away.

Why does EA let this slip by?

I'll bite on this one.  Everyone knows I am an equal opportunity game player and give both EA and Sega the time of day.  Anyway, this is basically a case of "lowest common denominator".  Most people who buy this game will probably not have an HDTV and having the option in there is a luxury and therefore doesn't get as much time as other things.

Just my opinion though...

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2004, 01:25:00 AM »

IGN's review is up...it got an 8.7...

They had basicly the same complaints that I had: lack of a visual upgrade, recycled commentary, nothing really all that new about the game this year, besides the HFA stuff.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/530/530148p1.html

Fans of NCAA Football will love this game. It's got some nice new additions and online play on Xbox and PS2, but it's hard to ignore the lack of visual punch that's seen in the other two football games out this year. This game needs a new engine for next year and a shakeup of creative juice to progress the gameplay. This may well end up being my favorite football game once again this year, because it is a lot of fun, but I wish more had been done with the series over the past two years. Home Field Advantage is an inspired idea, the Matchup Stick rocks, and overall the game remains a solid sports title. Don't hesitate buying this if you're a fan of the series, just don't expect a revolution or even much of an evolution from last year's title.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2004, 01:39:49 AM »

glad I didn't buy it.  I'll just return spiderman for a refund.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2004, 02:24:04 AM »

Still tough to catch short passes...

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2004, 03:16:51 PM »

i havent really had any serious trouble with that...someitmes i miss passes, but what ive started to do recently is to take contorl of the wide out myself and catch the pass myself.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2004, 04:52:50 PM »

Still tough to catch short passes...

Well, with HFA maybe your receiver is a bit rattled if you're on the road.  Composure circle is a big thing in this game, if its empty the receiver will drop passes easily.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2004, 05:11:53 PM »

Nah - I was playing against UMass with Michigan in The Big House.

HFA was all on my side. biggrin

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2004, 06:39:15 PM »

I'll have to test this, but many are reporting the slowdown that people see disappears if you change from Dobly Digital 5.1 to Stereo.  Sounds a lot like the Network problem with ESPN NFL Football last year where you had to do the same in order to not get disconnected after a game.

I would guess if enough people call EA and complain about this (if it indeed does fix it) there may be another recall coming.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2004, 06:42:26 PM »

I played a few random games online last night as Ohio State. My (very early) impressions:

-The running game has been drasticallly slowed down.  Last year the rbs seemed to run up the backs of the offensive linemen before the blocks could be made.  Now you can hang back a little more and read the blocks.

-They seemed to address the running quarterbacks issue pretty well.  What I mean are the people who drop back 20 yards, and then scramble around for big runs or until recievers come open.  The defensive linemen seem to contain alot better.  Also DBs and linebackers use backpedals and strafing automatically to contain outside runs.

-Way too many dropped passes by wide open recievers.  Why is it the linebackers can leap 4 feet into the air and reach back over their shoulders to catch the ball, and my high 80s rated wide reciever drops passes right in his chest?  Silly.

-It seems that more playbooks now contain the broken bunch formations.  I tried 3 different books which all had bunch and ace sets.  Last year not as many teams had these.  Also there seem to be a lot more slantpost routes this year in all the books I tried.  This route eats bump and run coverage up.  So you can't play bump and blitz every play on defense this year.

-EA's online matching systems is terrible compared to most other live titles.  Just give me a lobby where you can set up a game and wait for someone to join.  It works just like the PS2 version did last year.  I was hoping for an improvement.

- The matchup stick seems pretty cool.  I am not crazy about HFA so far.  I think it seems to unballance online play too much.  But I suppose it is good for dynasty mode.  Can it be disabled during online play?

Overall I think it is a marginal improvement over last year.  I think most people will be blown away by ESPN next week for $20.  Especially after paying $50 for this roster upgrade with a few small gameplay upgrades.  If there wasn't online play for XBOX, I would have been very content to buy NCAA 2004 at $15 and wait for a roster update.

That being said if anyone wants to play online tonight I should be on.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2004, 07:17:14 PM »

-Way too many dropped passes by wide open recievers. Why is it the linebackers can leap 4 feet into the air and reach back over their shoulders to catch the ball, and my high 80s rated wide reciever drops passes right in his chest? Silly.

Bingo!! Thanks for backing me up. smile

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2004, 07:17:42 PM »

Okay, I've played five or six games by now, and I have to say, I'm not that impressed.  Now, part of this may be that I'm coming to an EA game for the first time in a while, having been sloely on Sega games before.

However, something that I'm seeing a lot of that I just don't get is that the QB seems to think for himself.  What seems to happen all too frequently is that I snap the ball, and let the QB take the automatic drop back.  However, a lot of times, he'll simply throw the ball without me inputting any commands to do so.  At first I thought I was accidentally hitting a trigger (the button sensitivity is way too high across the board), but I paid attention the next few times, and I definitely wasn't.

Next thing is that even when I do manage to get him to throw it to the reciever I want, he throws it in very strange places.  On a post route, I've seen him repeatedly throw it 20 yards downfield.  I'm all for leading your wideout, but that's just silly.  I was thinking it was the QBs rating, but I checked his stats in the game, and he's got an 82 for accuracy.  With that score, he shouldn't be throwing like my grandma.

Also, it definitely looks like there's catchup AI in effect.  Last game I played, I was up by three with 22 seconds left in the game, and turned it over on downs on their 4 yard line.  With two long bombs, they got into their endzone despite tight coverage that had been swatting passes all day.  That seems a bit excessive.

I'm generally just not that thrilled.  I think I'm remembering why I switched over to Sega's games in the first place.  I'll give it a while longer, and if there's something I'm missing, let me know, but this may be going back before the start of the season.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2004, 07:21:55 PM »

OUT!

I just don't see the need to be frustrated by an engine I already don't like.

In all honesty, I think I owe Devil a good 200 to 250 bucks by now.  He is so good at taking the plunge, and then giving honest opinions of sports games right away... therefore saving me a purchase I would most likely regret.  You da' man!

However, (and I mean this for real), for all you NCAA fans that like the game... I am happy for you guys!  

Enjoy!

LD

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2004, 08:05:16 PM »

That auto-QB thing pissed me off last year too.

I'm told over and over again, every year that this is the best football game available. Every year I buy it. Every year I don't like it.

This year I feel better. I had low expectations so I'm not hating it so much. biggrin

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2004, 08:07:32 PM »

It's the most fun football game and it has arguably the deepest franchise mode because the teams outnumber the NFL at least fourfold.  Many people are very into college sports and have little to nothing to do with the NFL...it's really weird.

The reverse is also true.

Anyway, you can basically pick a play, drop the controller and let the computer play.  It's a sneaky version of a Coach mode.  Works on both offense and defense.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2004, 08:50:49 PM »

To my knowlege the computer QB drop has never worked in Madden or NCAA.  You have always had to manually drop back and then step up one step to throw accurately.  Correct me if I am mistaken.

It works very well in the 2K series though.  In ESPN, the primary route and QB drop are very well coordinated.

Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2004, 04:24:23 PM »

Quote from: "Chaz"
What seems to happen all too frequently is that I snap the ball, and let the QB take the automatic drop back.  However, a lot of times, he'll simply throw the ball without me inputting any commands to do so.  At first I thought I was accidentally hitting a trigger (the button sensitivity is way too high across the board), but I paid attention the next few times, and I definitely wasn't.

As was mentioned, the CPU will take over for you if you don't input any commands (i.e. set the controller down).  Unfortunately, sometimes this happens after you snap and before you are actually able to input any commands.  

I think you can completely disable this by going into the options and turning off "Quick Passing".  With that off, you have to control the drop back yourself, and hit a button to bring up passing icons.  But, the CPU shouldn't take over for you like that, either.  Haven't tried it, though, so I may be completely mistaken.  I've gotten in the habit of leaving quick passing on and controlling the drop back myself so as to prevent this.

XBox Live:  JNacht
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2004, 06:11:32 PM »

Yeah, just after I posted, I was looking through the OpSports forums, and found the bit about Quick Passing.  I turned it off and tried a quarter, and it seemed better.  Time will tell.

However, if that is catchup AI in there, that's definitely going to be a gamekiller for me.  If I want the games to be interesting to the end every time, I'll play on a higher difficulty.  If I'm winning, let the CPU team play the way it has all game and see if I win, not suddenly turn the formerly gimpy QP into Brett Favre.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2004, 08:29:19 PM »

I just loaded it up on my Xbox and started my season as UGA.  Didn't do anything but start a new dynasty and create my coach.

First game vs Georgia Southern.  First quarter I couldn't complete a pass.  Running game definately seemed to be a bit slow, but it is indeed easier to read the holes.  I think it makes it easier to run since I had more time to react.  Finally completed a pass in the second quarter.  Happened to be a bomb.  My half back finished the game with 175 yds and 4 TD's.  Quarterback passed for around 100 yds and 1 TD.  Won 35-0.  Didn't give up a first down.

Second game is a national broadcast vs South Carolina.  Definately a better team.  I scored first on an interception at the 50.  They scored on a 95 yd interception return but missed the PAT.  A little better with the passing.  Lost my quarterback for 4 weeks.  Won 21-6.

Now I need to kick the difficulty up a notch.  I am by no means "good" at sports games, so I figured I would try default.  I think I played the last few seasons on the PS2 with the All-American setting.  Went around .500.

The game looks great, controls well (my kicking game is abysmal), and most of all it's fun.  The slowdown seemed apparent, but maybe I was just looking for it?  I'm happy with my first foray into NCAA on the Xbox, but I enjoy the college game much more than the pro's.  I am still going to pick up ESPN when it comes out just to see how football should be done.

Now that I've written all that I don't know what my message is.  Well, the comeback AI didn't bite me in the ass yet.  Believe me, I was waiting for it!

I need to find some rosters before I get in too deep.  Seeing the cover of SI where it says "DL #97 to be a household name by years end" is just stupid.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2004, 10:04:41 PM »

Comeback AI *shudders*

And yeah, that is dumb seeing DL #97 on Sports Illustrated...I had NCAA last year and manually put in the names of most of the Pac-10 teams, but that didn't do much in the whole scheme of things.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2004, 11:09:49 PM »

They should just do what NFL Street did and make comeback logic an option.  I was stunned when I was looking through the options for NFL Street and saw that setting.  It will definately take some practice to be able to pass well in this game.

phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2004, 02:41:00 AM »

Well, after playing about a half dozen games, let me say this...

I am really enjoying this game but it's not NCAA Football 2005. It's really NCAA Football 2004 v1.1.

Lot's of nice new chrome, but graphically the same (exactly). HFA is cool in some circumstances, but my receivers are dropping WAY too many passes (home or away) even allowing that this is College ball. My QB is releasing with no input from me sometimes, even with quick passing off. I've noticed the graphical slowdown occasionally, sometimes even on the cheerleader animations(!). And the excellent commentary is as good as last year..., because it IS last year's... word for word... at least so far.

As I said earlier, for me the NCAA FB series is never perfect but it's always fun to play. And that hasn't changed. I'm still glad I got it, but it just doesn't seem like as much of an improvement over 2004 as 2004 was over 2003.

If they ever get it completely right I will probably freak out, so it's probably just as well...

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2004, 04:23:45 AM »

Actually the more I play it the more I like it.  The gameplay has been slowed down drastically.  To me this makes playing defense much more fun.  No more taking a D-Lineman and rushing every play.  I actually can play safety effectively this year!

Now that the Live Friends List is actually working, the online portion is also growing on me more and more.  Yesterday at this time I was going to trade this one in on Madden in a few weeks, now I'm not so sure  :roll:

Now my main complaint is that the damn EA servers have been down for most of the night  :oops:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: