http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 03:12:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Discussion: Full Spectrum Warrior [Xbox]  (Read 5385 times)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 26, 2004, 01:44:21 PM »

This game is coming out next week and the hype machine has kind of died out since the blowout at last E3.  I'm getting the feeling that the hype machine is starting up on it again.

It will be an interesting game since you evidentally command a squad and never really fire a shot like other FPS games.  I've heard nothing but good things about this game, but I'm still waiting for the first review to see if I truly want to spend $50 on it.

Anyone else?

Xbox Live: AgtFox
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 02:12:00 PM »

I'll need to play a demo at a store, because I don't "get it"

It sounds like a nightmare mode in Ghost Recon where you have to count on your squadmates to get everything done. Think about Ghost Recon and how many kills you got compared to the AI controlled members of your team...

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 02:31:47 PM »

In!

For Mr.Fox - The new gameplay is worth a shot. Not another FPS!!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 07:51:45 PM »

Gamespot has their review up.  They gave it a 7.7.  Greg Kasavin did the review (same guy who gave Riddick 9.3).

Basically he doesn't think it's a fully thought out game and that the gameplay is very repetitive after you get into missions.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 08:24:51 PM »

Doesn't sound too promising but who knows?

I was thinking that I'd like FSW more that Riddick because of the new gameplay but it could end up being the other way around.

Ah - I'll find out tonight...

tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 08:54:24 PM »

Much better details in that review compared to IGN's, and it also repeated most of what I've already been hearing from friends and on the net, that the game is lacking in many ways.

Oh well, will wait for impressions from you guys before I decide if it's worth a rental or not.
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 08:56:07 PM »

I love that Devil always lets us in to the tormented internal workings of the gaming mentality.  Posts like that one always remind me of stuff I've faced in my own purchasing history.  Good luck, man.  Good luck.

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 10:51:43 PM »

Thanks, ale!!

I try to bring you in for the full ride. There can be no impressions without the buildup and anguish that leads you to EB so you can spend $50 on something you feel pretty confident that you won't even like!!

biggrin

UConnBBall
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2004, 01:12:42 AM »

Its funny how a "MUST HAVE" drops of the "MUST HAVE" list so fast.

Personally I never understood the hype. It looks pretty, but um I thought it would play like a snore fest. I hope I am wrong since I know of 5 friends pre-released purchased it.

-UConn

-UConn

-----------------------------------------------
Discover the fun in life, because the rest discovers itself.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2004, 02:04:40 AM »

all i can say, AWESOME GAME.  Wait till you see the Mortar attacks
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2004, 04:18:53 AM »

Alright, I took the shrink wrap off, but I cant decide whether to break the seal on FSW or not. I am hearing lots of negative things, and if the game truly is a bit repetitive even if it looks good and is innovative, I would rather rent it and buy Riddick which I know I will enjoy (shooter junkie!!)

Someone help me out!
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2004, 04:24:34 AM »

IT's fun Rage.  It seems short tho.  I do have to admit that.  But gameplay is awesome.  I say since you have it, play it, trade it in or sell it on ebay, and use that money towards Riddick.  I've heard both games are short, so you are at a loss there.

Multi won't last long, unless they keep pumping out free content.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2004, 04:52:37 AM »

What's funny about the multi is that all they'd need to do to almost indefinitely extend the shelf life is to put in random enemy placement.  Seems simple enough to do, though I'm sure it's probably not.  smile

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2004, 11:48:31 AM »

Well it's open to downloadable content. So at the least we could see new missions come down the pipes.

Heck they might even add in new mp functionality if enough people want it.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2004, 12:57:26 PM »

Quote from: "aledromo"
I love that Devil always lets us in to the tormented internal workings of the gaming mentality.

He does?

I thought he just typed stuff to feel like he was part of the community.

I mean, how hard is it to type "IN!" all the time anyway?

LD   Tongue

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2004, 01:22:45 PM »

Well, I picked up the game yesterday and put in about 2 hours.  Thus far I'd have to say that I am very impressed with the title.  The camera is well behaved, the graphics are phenominal, the sound is good (I have some complaints about voiceover clash and volume levels), and overall I think they have a winner on their hands.  

I do wonder though, how long exactly should this game be if everyone is saying it is too short?  Its supposedly about 15 hours long + multiplayer.  If you take your time and keep your people from going home in a bag you probably will hit that 15 hour mark.  Then you can hop online and enjoy a more realistic experience with your friends and experience the frustration of battle as your second squad runs around willy-nilly with their head up their ass. slywink   (Or you could coordinate and do it right, but thats just crazy talk)

I've played through the training mission and the first actual mission and I have to say that I'm really enjoying it...I'd expect a review by Monday after I've sank a weekend into it.  I'll answer any questions you have now though...

Cool Stuff:
- Voiceovers are great
- camera 'runs' behind you like an episode of Cops (aka shakeycam)
- weapons seem well modeled after their real counterparts
- tactical handmovements are mostly there (I'm a stickler for accuracy)
- Your junior members lack military bearing, just like real life
-  the destructable cover is cool
- the enemy will give up the ghost and run away for reinforcements if they see they are being outflanked (but not all the time, seems there might be some math behind the scenes)
More later...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2004, 07:23:26 PM »

Cool Ron -

I have some questions.

1.  Squads.  I heard there were two.  Do you pick from different soldiers, ala Ghost Recon, or are there only the 2 groups of guys?

2.  Can you choose which members form which squads, or are they set for you with no changes allowed?

3.  Once you "unlock" a mission, can you go back and play that same mission again and again, or is it strictly by the storyline?

4.  Can you choose weapon configurations before each mission, or does each soldier have his "set" weapons package?

5.  I heard the controls are very intuitive, do you find that to be the case?

Thanks.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2004, 07:46:22 PM »

I mean, how hard is it to type "IN!" all the time anyway?

I'll have you know that I've already given an "OUT!" to NCAA '05! :wink:

I pick my spots!

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2004, 07:52:46 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Cool Ron -

I have some questions.

1.  Squads.  I heard there were two.  Do you pick from different soldiers, ala Ghost Recon, or are there only the 2 groups of guys?

2.  Can you choose which members form which squads, or are they set for you with no changes allowed?

3.  Once you "unlock" a mission, can you go back and play that same mission again and again, or is it strictly by the storyline?

4.  Can you choose weapon configurations before each mission, or does each soldier have his "set" weapons package?

5.  I heard the controls are very intuitive, do you find that to be the case?

Thanks.

LD

1: There's two groups, Alpha and Bravo.  Each group has 4 guys, TL = Team Leader, AR = Automatic Rifle, G = Gunner/Grenadier, R=Rifleman (the least experienced)  If the TL goes down, the AR takes his place.  The TL knows all 3 types of positions, so he's pretty effecient.

Anyways, you move as a group, sometimes all at once, or 2 at a time.  As far as controlling them, you can have each person face a certain direction, which gives you more coverage.  The game uses Fog of War, so if all of your guys are facing in one direction, your field of view is narrow, but your view is highly concentrated and can provide major fire power.  However if you tell your squad to cover all angles,  you'll have more awareness, but your fire power will be weaker (not everyone aiming at the same target)

Other than that, you can't really control your team mates seperately.

2:  It's set in stone.  Each squad has the above unit types mentioned above

3:  Once unlocked you can play the mission any time.  In fact lets say you played and beat the first 3 missions.  You can play any of those 3 missions in order.  In multiplayer, you can only play the missions you beat.  So, you either need to beat the game in multiplayer or single player to unlock missions.  

4: each soldier has it's own package.  It's not like a rpg.  Each unit is specialized based on his skill type.  So a gunner will always be firing the grenade launcher (I think the TL can too incase your gunner bites it)

5:  Controls are pretty easy to use.  The tutorial explains it well, and on the back of the manual is a reference sheet which tells you all the functions the buttons do.  

The game is sweet.  But as I said, if you are looking for replaybility, it doesn't offer much since multiplayer and single player is the same,  as well as the situations.  So it's quite easy to memorize what's gonna happen next.  I can see my self beating the sp, and play it via co-op once, but after that, it will probably lose it's legs.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2004, 10:58:03 PM »

Hey, thanks Naednek!

I appreciate it.  And, every answer you gave was what I had kinda' thought, but wasn't sure.

Helps alot.

LD

LD

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2004, 11:02:51 PM »

I didn't see it in here but, in our old stomping grounds, there is a thread that discusses the availability of the REAL Army version of the game by entering "ha2p1py9tur5tle" in the cheat code section!

This may change everyone's perception of the game...

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2004, 01:13:26 AM »

This has been confirmed by numerous sources. It works, and its the real deal. Probably was meant to be a Live "download" down the road somewhere.

Still havent had time to play. Dinner first.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2004, 01:59:53 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
I didn't see it in here but, in our old stomping grounds, there is a thread that discusses the availability of the REAL Army version of the game by entering "ha2p1py9tur5tle" in the cheat code section!

This may change everyone's perception of the game...

Yeah, this has upped my interest quite a bit.  From the screenshots linked at GG, there are a number of customization options for that game provided.  It doubles your game right there.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2004, 04:34:29 AM »

Guess I'm in the minority.  Picked it and Riddick up last night but got irritated / bored with FSW after the first few hours.  I'll play it some more this weekend to give it another chance, but here's my initial list of complaints.

1. Map areas seem small so far. This isn't something you can see in-game, you just reach an invisible wall. This is most frustrating in the first few levels I've played where mission objectives are also near these invisible walls. Several times I spent the time and energy to position a fireteam to run around the back of a building and outflank some enemy only to find that the invisible walls prevented me from going behind the building.

2. The oversimplification that if you're behind a corner or behind a solid piece of cover, then you're invincible. If I can see flesh, I should be able to shoot it.

3. Movement command system  / camera - the fact that you can't pull the camera out or reposition it to get a better view is pretty frustrating at times. Trying to move your fireteam further down a wall is near impossible w/o guessing where you're moving them too, and if your view get's obscured by a bush or something - you're just screwed until you move your fireteam .

Still the game does have some really cool features. Obviously the graphics are very nice, and I think the 3d Fog of War view was a really awesome innovation. So I'm hoping that my 2nd chance of playing it for an extended time will prove more enjoyable. Otherwise this will one will be going back really soon.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2004, 09:30:29 PM »

The cover thing you mentioned is a bit silly.  In the Army version, cover is imperfect.  Even if you're "in cover", there's always a chance that you'll get hit anyway.  I suspect they changed it for the civillian version to make it more player-friendly.

As for the camera, that's a design choice.  Since the game is a simulation of squad-level combat, they were trying to make it difficult at times to maintain situational awareness.  Personally, I like it.  Sure, sometimes it gets annoying, and you have to take risks, but that's all part of combat.

Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2004, 04:29:43 AM »

Wow.  This game is really tense.

I was playing the five-part tutorial and wasn't so sure it was going to be fun for me, but then I got to that fifth level, and then I got to the first mission.  It reminds me of Freedom Fighters, without the direct control over shooting, but I loved how FF handled squads, and this is a nice, hardcore step-up.  It really is amazing stuff - tense action, good voice acting, believable dialoge, good music and a great-looking game - it's a great experience all around, and they've done a good job of getting you to invest in the team members.

I haven't even tried the unlockable Army version yet.   This is just great fun.

:  By the way, TeamXbox gave it 9.0 out of 10.  It's a well done review.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2004, 06:23:43 AM »

The only thing that is bugging me, is the saves.  There's too many of them.  Makes the game too easy.  I wish I started over earlier and played on the higher difficulty, but I dont' want to start over now.    I guess i can just skip save points
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2004, 02:51:36 PM »

Well, this game has un-officially saved me from myself.

Let me explain.  As a couple of you know, I have been so engrossed in the phenomenon that is City of Heroes, I have absolutely stopped playing everything else... and I mean absolutely.

Well, my brother goes and picks up FSW the other day and gives me a call.  "Hey MMORPG Nerd, go get Full Spectrum Warrior so we can play through the missions together on XBLive."  he says.  "Trust me, it's extremely good, and we will have a blast playing it together." he says.

So, as I am starting to get alittle bored with CoH after playing it nearly to death, I figure maybe I can SQUEEZE in some time for another game every now and then.  And, since my brother highly recommended it, why not?

My early report is that FSW has saved me from MMORPG Nerdness!  FSW is so good, so very good, that I (at least right now) have no desire to go back and play CoH until I finish this campaign with my bro.  It is positively engrossing and fun.  And, to be perfectly honest, I thought it looked boring from watching the videos.  I can see how some people may feel it is boring actually, but to me, it is nearly perfect so far.  (only 3 missions in).

And here I thought I would be playing nothing but CoH until ESPN Football 2k5 was released.  I am happy my thoughts were wrong.

Great, great game!

LD

LD

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2004, 03:07:44 PM »

You know there's a 12-step program for that kind of stuff Lockdown? slywink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: