http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 06:01:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Discussion: Front Mission 4 [PS2]  (Read 2208 times)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 26, 2004, 01:55:46 PM »

On 6/15 we will finally have a current generation sequel to one of the best strategy mech games ever.  In the latest EGM they gave it straight 8s, saying anyone who played the previous game will feel right at home.  The only negative expressed was that there is a lot of thinking and remembering involved.  Just one quote from EGM on this:

"you'll have to keep track of weapon upgrades and ability stats for a headache-inducing 10 pilots at once." - Kevin Gifford

I know I'm pretty stoked about this game just because I liked Front Mission 3 so much.  There is also a $5 coupon for purchase of this game in the new issue of EGM for EB Games only.

So, anyone else looking forward to this?

Xbox Live: AgtFox
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 02:13:15 PM »

I am very, very excited about this game.

I read that review and I couldn't help but wonder...do they even like the genre?  To much stuff to keep track of?  To much to remember?  That isn't a negative to these types of games.

I fondly remember printing out FAQs for FM3 about which arm/leg gives teachs which special skill when worn with which weapon....it was a complicated and fun challenge.

I just hope the stuff in FM4 is as deep and rewarding.

programmerbob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 02:47:32 PM »

It should be much better as I heard they aren't going to have that fake internet thing that was in front mission 3.

But I'm looking forward to it. Since there won't be any world of warcraft this summer, It'll be the summer of strategy, otherwise known as a good deal of game play. I'm finishing disgaea, getting la pucelle tactics and phantom brave(disgaea 2) is also coming out towards the end of summer.

Xbox Live tag: joephis1
AIM/ESO Tag: UTBurner
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 05:07:57 PM »

I'd love to get this game, but I simply don't have the lifestyle to devote the time necessary to put into it.

Maybe I will though...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2004, 05:59:06 PM »

I'm with Destructor!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2004, 02:34:39 PM »

With my love of strategy games, this is pretty much a no brainer for me.  I know I'll pick it up, I'm just not sure when.  Fortunately, as a S-E game, it will be easy to find for a long time.  With Full Spectrum Warrior, Growlanser, and Ground Control 2 (pc) coming in June.  FM4 might be the one that waits for a lull to pick up (unless Fry's comes through with a killer sale again, still playing La Pucelle).

The demo was pretty cool.  If any of the fence sitters want to try it out, I'll send my copy of the demo to them.  First one to drop me an email gets it.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 02:43:34 PM »

I'm with you Hrothgar, with the massive list of games upcoming in the next few days and the gravy train not seeming to end soon I'll probably have to pick this one up when its a greatest hit. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 01:24:17 PM »

Well it seems that IGN hated it.  The review isn't very flattering.

I will say that most of his complaints seems stupid to me.  If someone acutally thinks that a turn-based game is going to have action sequences like the opening movie, well they don't play may TB games.  

Some of his stuff though, especially about the dumb AI make me a bit sad.  That and the battle lasting for 100 rounds.  That is just too long.  They should have more battle on smaller areas.

Oh well I am still looking forward to it and can't wait to see other reviews.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2004, 02:38:15 PM »

After playing the demo, I thought the IGN review was spot-on.  I was really dissapointed with the demo version.  I had it pre-ordered, but I think I'm going to cancel and put that $$ towards Sudeki.  frown

Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2004, 02:45:58 PM »

Official Playstation Magazine gave it better marks--4 out of 5.  They made an important point: if you like this kind of game, you'll like FM4.  Seems kind of obvious, doesn't it?

I played the demo for a while, but can't see myself buying the game (at least until it's really cheap).  I'm not that far into FM3 and don't feel particularly driven to play for long periods of time.  The FM4 demo hasn't driven me either.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: