http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 11:11:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Discussion: ESPN NFL 2K5  (Read 11481 times)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 11, 2004, 03:21:03 PM »

We have the new Football Friday Week 2 News story up, or you can just check out the Press Release with all the links to videos, pictures and a Q&A session with Shawn Lee, the lead AI programmer.  The Q&A is open until June 15th at 5pm PT, so get your questions in now.  Expect a followup every week VC does a Football Friday update.

With the new $19.99 price point (still not confirmed by Sega/VC/Take Two yet), do you think the game will see more sales and Madden's sales go down or do you think the reverse or the same might happen?

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 03:55:20 PM »

OK.  Since you're asking for opinions:

Madden -  Sales will go up.  Live on xbox.  This is a no-brainer.  I am predicting record sales for Madden this year.

ESPN - Sales will probably be close to last year.  Maybe, maybe, a few more due to the extensive features offered this season, and the increased hype the game is receiving right now.

Net result -  EASports will spank Sega/VC worse than usual.

I am as sure of this as I am that ESPN trumps Madden in nearly every conceivable way possible.   :wink:

(C'mon Loren, you know I had to get one shot in....   biggrin )

Edit to add:  I have read on GS that the low price is now confirmed.  I hadn't seen that before.  If it stays this way, Sega/VC may sell more copies than I predicted above simply due to people not seeing it as "I can only buy 1 football game this year" thing.  I would think a low price point would allow more people who normally choose one game to buy both.  Of course, I could be wrong about this also.  Oh hell, I don't know.  I still think Madden will sell alot more.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 05:29:49 AM »

Well, it's been officially confirmed by EBGames and Gamestop, but there hasn't been a press release from Sega, Take Two, Visual Concepts or anyone about the actual price.  Yes, I believe that is the final price as I put it down today for my copy, but until one of the above says $19.99 it can't be stated as fact unfortunately.  Yeah, I know...red tape.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 11:58:01 PM »

Here's a question for someone.  (probably Eco, as I think he may be one of the few people that has actually played the game at any length) :

Has anyone experienced (or heard) if the weekly planning really works as intended?  I understand that this is Sega's way of countering the stuff Madden has done with Franchise Mode.  I understand Sega is coming at it from a different angle, focusing more on Coaching and less on General Managing.  I also read that player attributes can swing 6 points either way based on the coaching you do throughout the week.  All this is excellent (in theory).

So my question is:     Does it work?

Not to be skeptical, but this seems to be a pretty big thing to add to a game.  From my understanding, this is a pretty deep model.  And, as with all deep models, it can be easy to mess something up, no?

If anyone has messed around with this mode, or can point me to somewhere on the net where they may talk about this, that would be great.

Loren, you haven't by chance gotten a chance to mess with this mode, have you?

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 01:35:26 PM »

Just doing a quick glance (and I'll have to look at other sites this morning), IGN's Top 5 for ESPN has this very thing at #1.  Here's the exact page that it is on.

Personally, knowing VC's track record, I'd say this won't be everything it sounds like or could be.  It also sounds like an extreme micromanagement section of the game and to be honest I hope I can turn it off because it doesn't excite me in the least bit other than probably tinkering with it at first.  It's great for the people that want to overlook everything, but for your regular game player/franchise player it probably isn't going to make that big of an impact.

I have not seen ESPN NFL 2K5 in action btw.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 02:12:40 PM »

Thanks Loren.  I am actually looking at it a bit different in that I am extremely excited to be able to train specifically for a particular game each week.  Example... If I know I've got to cover Randy Moss in my next game, I am going to focus on anything that improves my secondary coverage to try and slow him down, etc...  

HOWEVER -  Although I don't think I would ever want to turn this mode off like you said, I definately would like the option of handing the duties over to an "assistant coach" that could do a capable job of doing all the work on his own (read: AI Management).  I know for a fact there will be weeks I won't want to go through the tedious work of doing a day-to-day schedule.  So on that point, I understand where you are coming from.

Thanks for the link.

LD

LD

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 04:10:11 PM »

Lockdown,  unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to mess around with it at all at E3.  The only thing we had access to is the team select screen and a full game with 3 minute quarters.  

I can't wait!

Wake up.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 04:12:48 PM »

Up for a game this week Lockdown?  Let me know.

Wake up.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 09:02:40 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
Up for a game this week Lockdown?  Let me know.

Eco :

Unfortunately I don't play this game online anymore.  I simply can not stop the run when playing against other people, no matter what I do.  And it does nothing but make me mad.

However, if I can stop the run in 2k5, I will play you whenever you want.  That would be a blast.  Especially cause I know you like the Titans, who I have a personal vendetta against since I am a Dolphins and Steelers fan.

Look forward to it... just not with 2k4.  

Thanks for the offer though, it is appreciated.    smile

LD

LD

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2004, 04:00:26 AM »

There is a new video up at the ESPN Videogames Website.  It shows the Xbox controls for QB Evade as the game is being played.

The concept looks cool, I just hope it can't happen every play or multiple times on a play.

Oh yes, it looks like you have to have a broadband connection in order to see the videos since they say "DSL/Cable" on them.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2004, 05:34:28 AM »

Also, a new preview is up along with the videos here

http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox/775/ESPN-NFL-2005/p1

I understand Lockdown.  It too me a while to figure out how to stop the run.  I still struggle with Ricky Williams though.

Wake up.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2004, 09:00:23 AM »

Yep, I thought the same thing when watching those QB Evade movies.  

In concept.... Phenominal, Wonderful, and Excellent.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the success will honestly be based on QB statistics (ratings) vs. Defensive Player ratings.  Wouldn't that be something!

As you can tell, even though I am one of the biggest ESPN Football fans on the planet, I can get pretty pissed off at the game too when it screws things up.  I hope they did this right, cause it looks damn sweet to me.

LD

LD

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2004, 09:23:57 AM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
Also, a new preview is up along with the videos here

http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox/775/ESPN-NFL-2005/p1

Thanks Eco.

Videos are nothing short of fantastic.

However (i know, there is always a however with me), anytime they want to show some DEFENSE being played on some of these gameplay videos, that would be fine.  Anytime.  Just go ahead and show us some defense.  Whenever.  I'll be waiting.  Patiently.  For some defense.  

You know, the stuff that prevents a 12 yard end-around or a 15 yard pass up the middle.  That would be defense.  Anytime.....

LD   :wink:

LD

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2004, 09:39:48 AM »

OK.

So... ask and you shall receive I guess.  I found some defense.  

IGN has 5 new videos up.  One of the ones on the bottom is SF vs GB.

Another is the Titans vs the Chiefs.

There is some defense in those.  

/goes off whistling and skipping down the road, happy again.

LD

LD

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2004, 04:44:24 PM »

Four more screenshots added to the Xbox and PS2 pages.  Links go directly to the pictures.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2004, 06:18:48 PM »

Drools.

Wake up.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2004, 09:22:24 PM »

Is any of that actual gameplay, or is it a replay?  If that is gameplay then I am stunned.  Amazing none the less...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2004, 10:05:28 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Is any of that actual gameplay, or is it a replay?  If that is gameplay then I am stunned.  Amazing none the less...

Well, almost all of the EA and Sega shots would be from a replay perspective because they use different camera angles.

If you want a good look at the in-game play graphics you'd want to check out the videos at the ESPN site.  I would say the in-game graphics last year looked a lot like the replay graphics, except the replay could be done from a free floating camera angle.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2004, 11:57:41 AM »

I read at OpSports there is a brand new Weekly Prep video up at IGN.

I think it went up very recently.

However...  I can not access that site from my work computer.

If anyone watches that video...  can you let me know what you think please.

Appreciate it.

LD

LD

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2004, 02:41:12 PM »

One new pic today showing Larry Fitzgerald doing a cutback.  Same links as my last pic post above.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2004, 03:01:38 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
If anyone watches that video...  can you let me know what you think please.

Honest opinion...I think it's a micromanager's wet dream.  They went through about mid-week (Wednesday), adding/removing and changing some things on each day.  On Monday they went in and scheduled a meeting where the coach would be Angry (there were multiple terms in this section...I'd say at least 6, maybe more) and the Exit Strategy was to "Storm out" (again, multiple terms here to choose from).  Then they went to Tuesday and scheduled a practice doing the Gauntlet (the highest thing in the options for training), they also did some setup of who will be playing that week.

You basically are presented with a checklist and you can deselect, add or change that list.  Someone on OS said that all you will see is a checkoff sheet and you won't actually see the players go through the gauntlet or your coach handing out the gameball, storming out, etc.

I say it is extreme micromanagement, but it does give those interested in it a whole new subset of things to do in the game.  It is obvious this franchise section is geared more toward the coach than the GM/Owner side that Madden generally does.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2004, 03:32:02 PM »

Yep.  Got to watch it last night.  Actually, it isn't as "new" as the original poster at OS made it sound.  I had seen it.

And yep again to it being my wet-dream (so to speak).  Micromanaging from the point of view of the GM has always been "blah" to me.  

But this....  This is something I can sink my teeth into.  Being able to prepare for the strengths of opposing teams?       "Brilliant!"

Now, they just need to give me the option to hand off these duties to an intelligent A.I. if I don't want to do it for some reason, and it would be perfect.

LD

LD

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2004, 04:06:18 AM »

Football Friday Week 3 is now up on the main page.  This week relates to Presentation and mostly on the ESPN personalities that make an appearance in the game.  Looking at the videos (which look really good and will show you a huge difference between the Xbox and PS2 versions) it looks like Suzy Kobler and Chris Berman's likenesses are in it while Trey Wingo and Mel Kiper, Jr.'s voices are in it (so far).

We also have 8 new screenshots on the Xbox and PS2.  Link goes straight to screenshots, unlike the main page items which go to the game pages.

Anyway, enjoy and this game is looking and sounding better and better.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2004, 04:35:58 AM »

funny how Berman looks slimmer Tongue
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2004, 12:04:00 PM »

Loren -

Just watched the vids.  Thanks for the links.

I have exhausted my vocabulary on how fantastic this game will be.

Football fans everywhere rejoice.  We are in for something bordering on the unreal here.  

However...  biggrin   ...the Suzie Kolber interviews.... I admire the effort of Sega/VC on this, but.... I think not.  Next.

--------------

...and on another note.  New IGN videos are up, however.... be warned that whoever is playing the games is not very good.  As a matter of fact, if it were possible to undermine how good the gameplay is, these guys should win an award, because they are almost painful to watch.

LD

LD

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2004, 01:44:31 AM »

Totally forgot to post in here that the price has officially been set at $19.99.  I'll link to the Press Release if you guys want to check it out.  Be back here on Thursday night for the Football Friday update, at least in PR and screenshot form, if not a news post on the front page.

By the way, did you guys know that Football Friday is not strictly an Operation Sports thing, even though everyone in the known world links to them?  It actually goes live on the ESPN Videogames homepage and that's where I get the same info Operation Sports gets.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2004, 02:49:40 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
By the way, did you guys know that Football Friday is not strictly an Operation Sports thing, even though everyone in the known world links to them?  It actually goes live on the ESPN Videogames homepage and that's where I get the same info Operation Sports gets.

That's a neat site.  Looks just like ESPN.com minus some of the clutter.  The virtual Berman is a little creepy looking, though.  Great video presentations.

Great news about the price.  I might have room in my football library for two games this year (NCAA, not Madden!).

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2004, 07:13:01 PM »

So....

What do you guys here about the August 10th release date?

Fact or Fiction

Would be awesome if it is fact.

LD

LD

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2004, 07:23:26 PM »

Well, the ESPN Videogames store has it for August 10th, so it's looking pretty good.  I don't like the silence surrounding EA at the moment on this.

I hope to have Football Friday up sometime tonight if ESPN updates its page as usual.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2004, 07:35:38 PM »

Fact:

I got an email from ebgames telling me of the new release date.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2004, 01:43:51 AM »

Looks like I've beaten Operation Sports to the punch this week (even though only a small number of people will notice).  Anyway, you can check the press release here.  It includes links to the videos and game pages here on our Game Guide.

There is also a new Q&A with Brandon Justice, the Franchise Designer (and former writer for IGN) that can be found in this ESPN Videogames forum.

However, since you know I love you guys, I'll point you straight to the Xbox screenshot page (now holding 99 pictures) and the PS2 screenshot page (now holding 96 pictures).

Enjoy and come back next week for the Football Friday update.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2004, 04:41:25 AM »

ok, looks like I wont be using Gamecast.  talk about annyoing and stupid (replays are good, the stupid insults are lame)
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2004, 04:52:28 AM »

Actually, I just watched it and those two guys are from ESPN Videogames (or VC if you like).  I think they're just talking over the Gamecast while on mic, much like you would see in an IGN or Gamespot video review when the game is being shown, but you don't see anyone talking (but there is a voice).

I highly doubt Atwood and Chau are in the game.  I think they're trying to show what kind of beatdown you can give each other by re-capping  replays of the whole game.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2004, 05:46:30 AM »

cool, because that would drive me nuts.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2004, 10:07:54 PM »

A Gamecast Live video is up and can be viewed at Espnvideogames site.

Just cover your ears... as the guy "narrating" is 6 steps beyond irritating.

Otherwise a great video of what is to come via gamecast.

LD

http://www.espnvideogames.com/

LD

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2004, 12:25:22 AM »

They really should have gotten rid of the voiceovers on this and the previous Gamecast video.  It doesn't present itself very well, just leave it to see what it is without voiceovers.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2004, 01:03:17 PM »

that is so incredibly sweet though!

Wake up.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2004, 05:13:18 PM »

Hey, Ponch - Have you taken the needed steps to start the league/brackets up yet? :wink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2004, 05:26:03 AM »

Football Friday Week 5 (VIP) is now in our system.  ESPN Videogames was a day late than usual, but quite a bit of info on the VIP system.  It's sounding rather cool and there are 2 videos showing it off (although I haven't watched them yet...will do so now).

Enjoy the 12 new screenshots at the places linked elsewhere in this thread.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2004, 04:38:36 PM »

funny how you say they are late, they are actually on time Tongue
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: