http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 10:42:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Discussion: Burnout 3: Takedown [Xbox/PS2]  (Read 2925 times)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 23, 2004, 04:02:54 PM »

Burnout 3: Takedown has me very excited, especially when EGM gave it Game of the Month in this month's issue.  I think Burnout 2: Point of Impact was a severely uappreciated game that not many people picked up.  Now with EA and its marketing muscle behind Criterion's baby will Burnout finally hit the mainstream?  I certainly hope so.

It sounds as if graphics are improved, crashes are bigger, the single-player section is longer and of course there is online play for both the PS2 and Xbox.

This will probably be a big game and I would expect sales to be higher with the EA brand on it.  Heck, it worked for NFS: Underground last year, which was EA's #2 best selling game last year if I remember (over 2 million copies)...best selling NFS ever.

What are your thoughts?

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 06:17:11 PM »

My initial thoughts were "Sounds good, probably will get it."

But after reading you say it is Live! enabled, my thoughts have changed to "Freakin' Awesome!  Definately In!"

LD

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 06:22:40 PM »

I can't wait.  It's easily my most anticipated game at the moment (console anyway).

I played about 5 total races at E3 and was floored.

Go Gunners...
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 07:05:15 PM »

Burnout 3 is an absolute must have for me and I plan on grabbing it the day it comes out. I can't wait to try it out on Live!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 07:39:57 PM »

IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 09:52:28 PM »

Burnout 2 is probably my favorite game ever, so I'll definitely be there.  Oooh, sweet sweet burnout.

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 08:10:36 PM »

Game looks pretty good. Im excited for this alot.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 12:24:59 AM »

I've been playing the demo on the PS2 at work pretty much non-stop since it went in a few days ago.  It's just one race on one track, with one car, but even that's really addictive.  

The graphics are much improved from Burnout 2.  Vastly increased detail in cars and the environment.  The sense of speed is still there.  They use the "blurry edges" effect to enhance this.  I'm not sure I like that, but it doesn't get intrusive, so I don't mind.  

The crash physics are even better than before.  The main difference between this and 2 is that you're actively encouraged to take out your rivals.  In the second, it was nifty to do, but very risky because even if you did it, you'd lose speed and probably your position.  In 3, even bumping another car takes some of their boost, and actually causing them to crash increases the length of your boost bar.  Another improvement is that you can now boost at any time, rather than just when it's full, which really changes the dynamics.  

They've also added "aftertouch".  When you crash, you can hold down a button to put the crash in slow motion, which looks cool by itself, but you can also use the stick to steer your car around, and if you can take out a rival like this, you get even more points.  Something small that I really like is that it also keeps track of the "tricks" you pull off during crashes along the bottom of the screen Tony Hawk-style.  

Definitely can't wait for this one.  Sept. 8 brings this, Silent Hill 4, Guilty Gear XX for Xbox, and Kingdom Under Fire, all of which I'll probably get, but this is the one I'll be playing all night.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2004, 03:20:02 AM »

Well, this thread kind of died down.  I just happened to be over on IGN and noticed they have a review up for the Xbox (9.5) and PS2 (9.4).  Basically they call it a game that is going to challenge for Game of the Year and Hilary (who did "Another Take" on the Xbox version) says it is the must buy game of the fall.

I think this game is going to sell like gangbusters and may sell as well as Need for Speed Underground did last year.  EA now has a one-two punch in the arcade racer category...wow.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2004, 04:55:20 AM »

What a great review!  

We do not hesitate to say, then, that this is one of the best games -- not just of 2004 -- but of this generation.

I am all over this one.  Already prebought it smile

Go Gunners...
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2004, 05:07:32 AM »

EGM= 9.17
OXM= 9.3
XBN= 10
IGN= 9.5

:o  biggrin  :shock:

Go Gunners...
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2004, 11:30:03 AM »

I'll be crashing into Devil at a highway near you very soon!

LD

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2004, 12:23:44 PM »

IN!

Yes. That's right. You even have me doing it now.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2004, 01:28:57 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
I'll be crashing into Devil at a highway near you very soon!

LD

Not if I can help it.  You'll be taken down before you even catch up to Devil  :!:

Go Gunners...
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2004, 01:43:10 PM »

I'm honored that you guys think I won't be about 5 miles behind you doing damage only to myself.  :lol:

IN! for online too!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2004, 01:54:40 PM »

Maybe we need to start a group for Breakdown 3 battles biggrin

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2004, 05:47:06 PM »

I've not been following this title. Is it Live multiplayer? I just downloaded the IGN videos for it a couple days ago and it looked pretty sweet.. I love the blurring for speed effects.

If it's Live, "IN!"

That trend's not going away any time soon, I think.  :wink:

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2004, 06:22:12 PM »

yes, it's Live...up to 6 people (I've heard up to 8 in two modes, 6 in the others).

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2004, 06:26:58 PM »

I'll definately jump on this, I was a terror in Crash mode so I'd love to bring it on Live!

so in forum fashion...

IN!

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2004, 07:19:23 PM »

I wonder if you can play "teams" ?

Like 3 racers VS. 3 racers?

That would be kind of different and sort of fun, wouldn't it?

This is a game that rewards you for not being very good at it, right?  Like you get more points for crashing and stuff?  If so, there shouold b a few of us that are absolutely unstoppable!

:?  LD

LD

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2004, 07:31:03 PM »

This is a game that rewards you for not being very good at it, right?  Like you get more points for crashing and stuff?  If so, there shouold b a few of us that are absolutely unstoppable!

And lo; He will log into live and rule them all; and all will worship the Purge; master of Burnout 3.

(aka ranked at 1,098,7761 in PGR2)  :lol:

Seeing the videos on IGN reminded me of that lovely little game where you push a guy down the stairs for points; or their newer run-the-truck-off-ramps-into-a-building-for-points.

Both of those games ate up weeks of my life. biggrin too bad I don't remember the name. Please don't remind me; I can't afford to lose any more time and I'm sure they won't take me back into the 12step program again.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2004, 09:15:38 PM »

I wonder if you can play "teams" ?

Like 3 racers VS. 3 racers?

That would be kind of different and sort of fun, wouldn't it?

:?  LD

On multiplay

Multiplayer and Online
Offline multiplayer will provide two-player, 30-fps split-screen (movie - 5.9MB) for these main modes: Race, Time Attack, Road Rage, and Crash. You have to unlock tracks and crash junctions, but if you remotely like this game it's pretty assured that won't be much of a problem once you dig into World Tour.

Offline is a really interesting element, and Criterion and EA have worked hard to perfect it for both PlayStation 2 and Xbox. In fact, Burnout 3 was designed specifically so going online is a seamless experience. Everything from traffic to the modes stays almost the same. The amount of replay value here is unprecedented. Road Rage and Race are a blast when you're playing with up to five other friends (that's six, counting you), and you can play seven- or eight-player for crash mode.

Criterion has succeeded brilliantly for the most part. You can't add in CPU bots and aftertouch had to be removed for logistics (which really makes crash mode less entertaining than it is offline), but if you get more than three people on a server there is a lot of fun to be had. There are some good tools available too; hosts can kick, choose class of cars available for racing, and tweak some other important options.

A little more

Harvey: We support up to six players online in any race events. The most critical thing for us is that the online game didn’t suffer any loss of quality over the offline game, so we’ve made sure that we still have just as much traffic in the online modes.

We've also been able to expand Crash Mode in its online form to allow 2-player cooperatively or competitively playing the same junction – it’s particularly cool if you can takedown someone before they even hit the traffic! We also have a new online mode called Party Crash, where 8 players all play the same junction and the replay of the person who gets the most damage gets sent to all the other players.

http://www.eagames.com/redesign/editorial.jsp?src=burnout3_interview_062504

biggrin

Go Gunners...
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2004, 09:19:59 PM »

More reviews:

EDGE Magazine -- Score 9/10

"It still possesses the series' trademark ability to deliver Tempest-like 'in the zone' moments of remarkable intensity unlike any of its contemporaries, but now comes with a confidently revised dynamic, marking this as Criterion Games' finest hour. Crucially, it's everything a racing videogame should be: a relentless, unwavering and phenomenal assault on the senses."

Read the full review...
http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/reviews...bsectionid=1606

Official Xbox Magazine. 93

Powersliding through a curve at 75 mph and missing a tractor trailer by a hair's breadth should prompt a few calls to your cardiologist. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll scream until you giggle. The pure visceral experience of Burnout 3 is as intense as racing gets. [Oct 2004, p.58]

Electronic Gaming Monthly. 92
"The speed is staggering, and the smashes spectacular...Burnout 3 blows the doors off its predecessors with bliteringly fast online play, a massive single-player mode lousy with unlockables, and all the right gameplay tweaks." [Oct 2004, p.100]

PALgn Score 9.0

Full Review

http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=1444

"Burnout 3: Takedown is one of the best titles of the year. It is lengthy, has Xbox live support, beautiful graphics and should keep gamers entertained for a long time to come."

(although I think the first sentence of their full review almost sounds like he read IGN's review first).

XBN Magazine give it 10/10

and of course IGN's

9.5 out of 10

"Offers up insane speed, unequaled crash sequences, and a truly new style of gameplay. It has reinvented the wheel, so to speak...Burnout 3 is astonishing. It's one of the best arcade racers I've ever touched."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full Review...

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/544/54....html?fromint=1

For those interested, here is also a collection of Burnout 2 reviews...

http://www.metacritic.com/games/pla...2pointofimpact/

Go Gunners...
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2004, 11:46:05 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
IN!

Ditto.

Oh, btw people there is a multiplayer thread for live contenders. smile

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: