http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 03:41:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game consoles will be extinct after next-gen - Jaffe  (Read 556 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2012, 07:02:20 PM »

The God of War and Twisted Metal creator sees the next round of hardware as the very last

David Jaffe is never one to hold back an opinion, so after we talked in depth about the free-to-play market and his next project at his new San Diego studio, we also decided to pick the designer's brain on the Wii U and how the console market is shaping up. As it turns out, Jaffe isn't very excited by Wii U and he ultimately thinks consoles in general will soon be dinosaurs.

"I don't see the Wii U and say 'oh my God I have to have that.' But with new hardware that's usually the case; the software's going to drive it. Or it's like Apple and the hardware is so elegantly designed that it's like, 'Oh they make toilet plungers? I'll buy it!' I played some games, I enjoyed Rayman... it's not like I'm knocking it but I would say that I wasn't blown away by any individual piece of software that was exclusive to Wii U," Jaffe commented.

The bottom line is that Jaffe believes consoles are on their last legs.

"So while I don't think it's going to do as well as the Wii, I don't think any of the consoles are going to do as well as they used to. It's a declining market, I think. That doesn't speak ill to any of them as pieces of hardware - it just speaks about the fact that the industry has changed, the business models have changed and the world has gotten even smaller with smartphones and tablets and the internet, and stuff like Gaikai and streaming."

"Look, consoles are going away. I think in 10 years - probably sooner, but 10 years is always the safe thing to say so you don't sound like an idiot - but here's what I'll say: I'll go on the record and say that the next generation of hardware will be the last consoles. And they should be," Jaffe asserted.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-13-game-consoles-will-be-extinct-after-next-gen-says-jaffe

Hope he's wrong on that one. I've actually moved over to consoles almost exclusively for gaming and don't exactly care to spend $1000 or more on a good enough PC to run the latest PC games when my PS3 and 360 can do most of the same games at a fraction of the cost.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 07:04:24 PM »

For multiplayer gaming I definitely prefer the consoles.  Not sure I can go back to PC for competitive gaming due to ease of cheating
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 08:25:08 PM »

Blah blah...I was tired of Jaffe's yacking years ago.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 08:40:16 AM »

Their current forms will go extinct. However, it won't be the PC that will take over, it will be the more closed platforms that take over like iOS, including various boxes meant to stream in internet, and also play games.

We'll have this upcoming generation, then a very small chance of a generation after that.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 10:13:43 AM »

If we are talking about OnLive kind of technology to take over,Internet speeds would have to really improve,i know some people have mega great internet speeds but the overall average is still quite low,but then again if the life cycle of this next gen is another 7-8 years like this current gen has/will be..then who knows

UK average internet speed is 7.6mbs,however it has gone up 22% in the last year

looking on google it says the average US internet speed is 6.1mb(your country is bleedin' massive compared to mine Tongue)

South Korea average is 16.7mb icon_eek

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 15, 2012, 10:13:43 AM

I need to move there.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 03:22:18 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 15, 2012, 10:13:43 AM

If we are talking about OnLive kind of technology to take over,Internet speeds would have to really improve,i know some people have mega great internet speeds but the overall average is still quite low,but then again if the life cycle of this next gen is another 7-8 years like this current gen has/will be..then who knows

UK average internet speed is 7.6mbs,however it has gone up 22% in the last year

looking on google it says the average US internet speed is 6.1mb(your country is bleedin' massive compared to mine Tongue)

I'm in the US, the best I can get is 1mb. But I live in the country, so I'm lucky to even get that much. My only hope will be when 4G wireless reaches me, then I could see better speeds.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 06:47:26 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 15, 2012, 08:40:16 AM

Their current forms will go extinct. However, it won't be the PC that will take over, it will be the more closed platforms that take over like iOS, including various boxes meant to stream in internet, and also play games.

We'll have this upcoming generation, then a very small chance of a generation after that.

100% correct.  There will be enough computing power in the phone and TV to eliminate the console.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: