http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 08:55:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Collector or Game Churner?  (Read 802 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2012, 11:14:52 PM »

I'm curious how many of you here play and churn games vs those of you that also build up a 'library' of your favorite titles.  My friend falls into the former category. He either grabs the game from Redbox, or buys it from Gamestop and quickly plays through it and returns it for the highest trade-in value.

I tend to collect games, but my backlog is so high that I'll usually wait until they hit the $30 price point, and then I'll add it to my library. If its a game I truly want to support (the new XCOM, for example) I'll buy on the release date. I'm not really sure WHY I collect these games, however. I keep telling myself I'll go back and play them, but invariably I never do. There is just too much new content coming out that always keeps me occupied. But I somehow cling to this romanticized idea of returning to these previous games for a trip down memory lane.

Anyway, I guess my point is that I'm a collector, but I really shouldn't be one. I'm just too busy, I have too much of a backlog, and something great is always around the corner. What about you?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 11:25:57 PM »

console games I churn, PC games I collect.

I do have a new resolution though:  never pay full price for a game unless it's for the 360 or Wii U (figured I'd leave myself the option for only 2 systems), and only if they are games that are going to get major playtime.  all other console games such as ones that have a short single player campaign or ones for the Wii, 3DS, Vita and PS3 will be rentals (or in the case of the latter two possible PSN Plus freebies).  PC games I can usually get at a discount before it is released or after it is released.  I've actually tried this for the fall releases and saved over 300 bucks so far while getting to play most of the new games right away.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 11:32:54 PM »

In general I'm a churner. Only a few games hold my interest long term, so I'm happy to sell when it's still worth something.

That said, on PC I'm a "collector" due to buying most things from Steam or GreenManGaming and such. The prices justify the lack of resale.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 11:45:35 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on November 18, 2012, 11:32:54 PM

In general I'm a churner. Only a few games hold my interest long term, so I'm happy to sell when it's still worth something.

That said, on PC I'm a "collector" due to buying most things from Steam or GreenManGaming and such. The prices justify the lack of resale.

This is how I operate as well.  My entire physical console library consists of 3 games that I simply haven't bothered to trade in yet.  I have downloaded quite a few PS1 "classics" and XBL/PSN games, but I don't think I've ever downloaded a major console release.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 02:21:32 AM »

I'm a big fan of RPGs, so the longer gameplay makes it a little easier to justify buying those games at a higher price.  The same is true of strategy games. But Call of Duty, Halo, Need for Speed, etc, are the types of games that I always wait for a price drop. Since multiplayer isn't my thing, I can no longer justify $50-60 price tags for 6 hours of gameplay.

The "problem" with PC gaming is that Steam has conditioned me to a point where I now feel like I'm simply pissing money away if I don't wait for a sale extravaganza. To the dismay of many developers, I'm guessing this is a growing trend. I don't have quite this same urge to wait with console games, even though their prices drop reasonably fast. I think part of that is because console games rarely fall to the obscenely low prices you see for PC games.

I'm trying very hard to change my collector habits to only Strategy and RPG games. There is always a bigger and better Call of Duty or Gears of War-esque game on the horizon.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 03:38:34 AM »

For a majority of games, I'm a churner. Though I don't exactly "churn", I have a large-ish backlog (tiny compared to some members here!), but once I beat a game, it goes on the Trading Forum (and 99% of the time, eBay afterwards :p).

The exception is Castlevania games. I collect them.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 03:44:10 AM »

Definitely a collector.  I'm in the high hundreds at this point... mostly digital, but about 100 or so physical titles.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 11:37:51 AM »

used to be a collector,but had to churn them instead in recent times

I have still got a good 25 video game collection of Xbox 360 games,some i would never get rid of

Bioshock steel tin edition and Dead Rising steel tin edition...i'd never get rid of them,i love them

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 02:51:22 PM »

Used to be a collector.  Don't keep many games now. But I'm not a churner as the volume is so low and it takes me so long to get through them.

spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 04:17:57 PM »

Churner, unless a game charms me enough and warms the cockles of my heart, then I'll keep it.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 05:00:03 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on November 18, 2012, 11:14:52 PM

I'm curious how many of you here play and churn games vs those of you that also build up a 'library' of your favorite titles.  My friend falls into the former category. He either grabs the game from Redbox, or buys it from Gamestop and quickly plays through it and returns it for the highest trade-in value.

I tend to collect games, but my backlog is so high that I'll usually wait until they hit the $30 price point, and then I'll add it to my library. If its a game I truly want to support (the new XCOM, for example) I'll buy on the release date. I'm not really sure WHY I collect these games, however. I keep telling myself I'll go back and play them, but invariably I never do. There is just too much new content coming out that always keeps me occupied. But I somehow cling to this romanticized idea of returning to these previous games for a trip down memory lane.

Anyway, I guess my point is that I'm a collector, but I really shouldn't be one. I'm just too busy, I have too much of a backlog, and something great is always around the corner. What about you?

This is me right here. I too am a collector. I never resell games. I don't understand why, but I've kept every game I've bought since I got into the hobby in the late 90s. Like yourself, I tell myself I will revisit a certain game but I never do it. For whatever reason, I just can't bring myself to resell a game. I've rarely traded a game, and that's when I know for certain I'll never revisit it. So far, it's an ok collection and it's not turning out to be something dire like in a 'Hoarders' episode, but I know someday I will have to purge it. Also, I've kept old PC game boxes and manuals; now that right there I should get rid of 'cause it takes more space.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 08:30:18 PM »

If I buy a game, I keep it.  If I want to churn a game, I just Gamefly it.

I don't get buying a game at full freight just to sell it immediately.  Doesn't seem economically feasible.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 08:55:45 PM »

My backlog is so immense I'm self-imposing a $20 rule.  I stay pretty close to it, usually.  The last 2 games I spent more than this on are Guild Wars 2 and Borderlands 2 (both of which I'm playing right now).  I may spend $25 for Dishonored on Friday but everything else will be $20 or less.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 08:56:08 PM »

Collector (of dust).  I don't have the time to finish so many of them, but I like to think I will.  Plus, I'm not much of one for the extra effort to return things...  I do keep an eye out for deals a lot (and have lately gone overboard on Steam sales as I've gotten back into PC Gaming.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 03:43:21 AM »

Collector via not wanting to bother trading/selling games. It is neat to go back and see all the old game boxes/manuals but honestly 99% of those games I've never played again as I'd rather just play new stuff. All the Xbox/Gamecube/PS1/PS2 game boxes are looking a bit cluttered on the book shelf and have considered just taking them over to a Half Price Books to be done with. Although saving some games did pay off not too long ago when I re-installed Tron 2.0. Still a fun game. And off and on I'm trying to find my missing Wizardy 8 disc to play that again. But I doubt I'd ever break out my old consoles and play those games again.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 05:11:26 AM »

I tend to only buy console games with co-op play, so for the most part they're keepers as my kids usually grow into them and I can play them with my buddies at our LAN meets.  I don't buy a lot of games though and those with only SP are rentals for  me. I still have Xbox, Gamecube and PS2 games that I play co-op with my kids. So yeah, guess I'm far more of a collector than a churner.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: