http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 07:19:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Boy Advance-Worth it?  (Read 2333 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2004, 06:31:09 PM »

SO, is a GBA really worth it? I had one before, played it for 4-5 hours and sold it. I like advance wars, though I wasnt really that impressed with it, and was dissapointed in Golden Sun.

Really I dont have much intention of buying one, I guess I am curious why you guys like it so much!
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 06:37:25 PM »

I love the GBA, although I also love my GameBoy Player, something I consider one of the best peripherals Nintendo has ever come out with.  Anyway, the only problem with the GBA is that I find that only Nintendo's and the Castlevania offerings are the ones to pick up for the GBA.  Nintendo makes fantastic games for the GBA and it's well worth the price just for that.

However I play most of my GBA games on my GameBoy Player.  My wife enjoys playing on the GBA when she's out and about for a long time.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 06:50:45 PM »

A year ago I won a GBASP with the Golden Sun games.  Golden Sun was fun for a few hours, but didn't hold my attention.

I do like my GBA, but don't play it very much: I'm a telecommuter and don't really find myself in situations where I'd use it (i.e. waiting in line, riding a bus, etc).  If I have a few minutes to kill during a dull meeting or waiting for programs to run, I fire up the PSOne instead.  Still, I do enjoy some of the GBA games and play them occasionally:
-- Advance Wars
-- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
-- the GBC Dragon Warrior games

If I had to choose between buying a GBA or a PSOne/LCD (a little bit more expensive), the PSOne would be the obvious choice.

However, I have a coworker who got a GBASP for Christmas and plays it quite a lot: it's his only non-PC gaming option, and he spends lots of time in the car waiting while his wife shops.  If I had a similar situation, I'd love my GBA a lot more too.

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 07:12:40 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
SO, is a GBA really worth it?

Is the GBA worth it? It's a piece of junk you can't see any games on. The GBA SP on the other hand, is most definitely worth your gaming dollar. Out of the hundreds and hundreds (I honestly think it's in the thousands now at least) of games on the GB, GBC, and GBA, you'll find something that suits your gaming fancy.

And best of all, if you own a Gamecube, odds are you might own a title that'll support the GBA SP and the link cable for additional excitement.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 08:26:23 PM »

I've got a GBA SP and love it.  It's main selling point for me is it's portability.  I can play it anywhere : In bed, at work, on the can, etc.

There's not a ton of games for it that interest me, but I'll pick up most of the strategy games (Advance Wars, FFTA) and the Mario stuff and those make me happy.  biggrin

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 09:50:24 PM »

GBA is just fine... I love mine and have never had any issues of not being able to see it (granted I tend to play somewhere lit, and not in my bed late at night).  The GBA SP is obviously better with the backlight + rechargable battery combo, but honestly the original GBA is just fine as well.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2004, 02:55:59 AM »

I've bought three GBAs - one original, two SPs.  Kept each one for about a month, and realized I just didn't enjoy playing 1994 games on a tiny screen with crappy resolution and tinny sound.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 01:33:41 AM »

The GBA is probably my favorite system (well, behind my Sega Saturn), but that is because of the games available.  I like the little time-wasting puzzle games for a brief diversion, but mostly I like the old-school 2D games.

2D is dead when it comes to the new consoles.  I still like the "1994 games" even if I must play them on a tiny screen.  I imagine if I had a GC and a GBA player I would be in heaven!

So maybe I am just old school.  It's not like I don't like my Xbox and PS2, I just have a soft spot in my heart for the lost art of 2D with trivial things like "game play."  As I said, the Saturn is still my favorite system.  It really sucked at 3D compared to the others, but nothing is better at 2D.  Well, maybe the NeoGeo...

Oh, and my GBA doesn't leave the house.  I originally bought it for jury duty, but I fell in love.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 02:04:16 AM »

Count me in the love the GBA SP camp.  I keep mine in the car and it's great to pass the time anytime and anywhere (except where I would look like a total geek playing...then I play games on my cell phone instead smile).  I've put probably 100 hours or more in and there are so many games available for it it's almost unreal.
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2004, 03:08:45 PM »

I'd say the SP is my favorite console right now. I am a sucker for old-school 2D games, and the thing is just the perfect size to throw in your pocket and take with you.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2004, 04:52:04 PM »

I've been playing Advance Wars in bed.  I just don't get as much sleep as I used to...

:shock: <-me looking like a zombie in the morning.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2004, 02:35:56 PM »

My GBA + Afterburner (hey, it was before the SP) was worth it just for Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.  I spent close to 100 hours on that game before I sold it, which is the most I've ever spent on a game (replays excluded).  Other than that, I haven't really used it much.  It's sitting in the drawer collecting dust now, and I don't even have any games for it.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: