http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 10:15:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Galciv II is gold!  (Read 5023 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 09, 2006, 07:42:29 PM »

http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/index.php#4861

Woohoo!!! Can't wait for this one.  Now...how to preorder it when I'm broke.  Time to sell some games!

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 07:58:30 PM »

Pssst....the intro video will be up shortly. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 08:00:25 PM »

http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/news.php?NewsID=4862

There you go!

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 09:30:18 PM »

Yikes! That's one of the more cheesy intros I've seen. However, I don't think anyone plays these games for the story.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 09:32:39 PM »

Awesome!  Thanks guys, it's the little things in life...

Quote from: "siege"
Yikes! That's one of the more cheesy intros I've seen. However, I don't think anyone plays these games for the story.

I agree, but *did* like the ending: "There are far more dangerous things in the universe than each other".

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 10:27:32 PM »

I swear Ive seen that before.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
map

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 12:56:11 AM »

i played a lot of gal civ. i thought it was the closest to moo of all the genre. so i was fooling around with dosbox and started playing moo. i don't know why, but this is just the most fun. i mean sure it is really, really dated, but for me it is just the epitome computer gaming. easy to get into, simple concepts and yet compelling to me. the opposing races all seem to have their own personalities and play differently. is it just that the following games in the genre just got more and more needlessly complicated? i don't know. i also like the original railroad tycoon more than the sequals. now don't get me wrong; i'm buying gal civ 2. i just wondered if any of this makes sense to anybody else? more complicated doesn't mean more fun.

Save America, shoot your television.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 01:49:06 AM »

Quote from: "map"
i just wondered if any of this makes sense to anybody else? more complicated doesn't mean more fun.

I'm someone who still plays the original Axis and Allies.  Beer and pretzels for the win!

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 02:21:05 AM »

Ive tried everything since MOO1 and nothing compares. I think MOO1 spoiled me unfortunately.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 04:18:25 AM »

MOO is a classic for sure.  I agree with the statement that 4x doesn't get much better than MOO, but I'd like to add that there are many games in the same category of quality.

It's like classic literature.  New books of course shouldn't overwrite old books' successes, but old books shouldn't overwrite new books either.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 01:32:13 PM »

Can anyone create a list of the top ten 4x space games for reference?

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 02:07:27 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"

After watching the intro video, I'm thinking J. Michael Straczynski better get a "Special Thanks" somewhere.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 02:42:50 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"

After watching the intro video, I'm thinking J. Michael Straczynski better get a "Special Thanks" somewhere.

hehe...I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 04:49:16 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Ive tried everything since MOO1 and nothing compares. I think MOO1 spoiled me unfortunately.
MOO2? I never played either, but I thought MOO2 was considered better. And its less dated.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 05:02:38 PM »

Quote from: "FlyingElvis"
MOO2? I never played either, but I thought MOO2 was considered better. And its less dated.

MOO2 was better than MOO1, if you liked Civ and Master of Magic.

MOO1 was a great game, and the people who liked the more general spreadsheet type 4x games like it,  as it reduced planets and troops on planet to numbers rather than having a special view for them.  

*shrug* Part of it dealt with your choice of interface.  I'm willing to bet that people who liked MOO1 and disliked MOO2 had a higher opinion of MOO3.  I liked MOO2 more, and really didn't like MOO3 at all.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
TomAEG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2006, 05:11:09 PM »

Quote from: "siege"

I think it sets the stage nicely for the campaign and that Stardock did a pretty good job with the video, considering the available resources smile

"cheesy" and sci-fi go hand-in-hand, don't they?
map

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2006, 02:34:31 AM »

i played alot of moo2. my only real problem with it was that it wasn't just more moo1 frown . but nevermind that, how the hell did moo3 get into this!?

Save America, shoot your television.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2006, 03:17:22 AM »

One thing I hope GalCiv2 adds is some more bizarre/nasty means of annihilating your opponents -- I guess MOO2 spoiled me with its Deathstar-like planet-killing laser, I've always hankered for one of those again.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2006, 03:50:44 AM »

Another small preview if you're interested:

Link

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
unbreakable
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2006, 07:37:13 AM »

I swear Ive seen that before.

Wasn't it called "Babylon 5"?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2006, 01:43:22 PM »

*shrug* Part of it dealt with your choice of interface.  I'm willing to bet that people who liked MOO1 and disliked MOO2 had a higher opinion of MOO3.  I liked MOO2 more, and really didn't like MOO3 at all.

I loved both MOO1 and MOO2, and I thought MOO3 wasn't worth the price of the CD it was burnt upon. Just utter and total trash, not worthy of anything close to the MOO name.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2006, 02:11:04 PM »

MOO3 had its moments.

However, on the subject of GalCiv II, does anyone know what the pre-order bonus stuff is?

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2006, 05:52:33 PM »

Quote from: "Atragon"
MOO3 had its moments.

However, on the subject of GalCiv II, does anyone know what the pre-order bonus stuff is?

From ebgames (and as confirmed by the developer):

Pre-order and receive a Bonus Tech-Tree Map and Galactic-Civilizations II Desktop Theme! Bonus item will ship with purchased product, and is only available while supplies last.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/259813.asp

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2006, 09:08:20 PM »

I was actually refering to:

All users who pre-order it will get extra content: Additional ship components, the Galactic Civilizations Desktop and more.  Players who purchase the retail pre-order (either direct or pre-order it from retail) will get the special pre-order package which includes a fold-out tech tree and other goodies.

Taken from the galciv2.com site.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2006, 12:26:13 AM »

I hope the AI is a lot easier on the lowest setting. It always kicked my ass on easy in the first one. I never won one game...or came close to it.

sclick
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2006, 04:31:17 AM »

The problem I had with GalCiv was that so much was dependent upon your random starting universe. If you started in a favorable position (some nearby habitable systems to colonize), you were in good shape. If you started in a bad position (no habitable systems in range, so that the AI would end up getting a foothold all around you), there wasn't much of a way to pull out a win.

I enjoyed it nonetheless, but I hope that their random universe generator at least creates starting positions that are more generally balance.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2006, 12:49:07 PM »

For anyone interested, the pre-loading of the game began yesterday for beta-testers.  Mine went about as smooth as could be, although I did hear of some people having problems.  Today begins the pre-loading for anyone who pre-ordered (and wasn't a beta tester).  Hopefully it will go smooth for you as well.

The pre-load basically will give you 99% of the game, including the movies, sound files, and all the code itself.  On the 21st, I think all you need to do is start the game and hit the UPDATE button.  This will download the remaining .exe files needed to actually play the game.

Be warned you will most likely get very fast speeds when downloading the multimedia sections of the game, but slower speeds when downloading the actual base code of the game.  It has to do with security or somesuch thing.

Good luck!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2006, 04:13:08 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
For anyone interested, the pre-loading of the game began yesterday for beta-testers.  Mine went about as smooth as could be, although I did hear of some people having problems.  Today begins the pre-loading for anyone who pre-ordered (and wasn't a beta tester).  Hopefully it will go smooth for you as well.

The pre-load basically will give you 99% of the game, including the movies, sound files, and all the code itself.  On the 21st, I think all you need to do is start the game and hit the UPDATE button.  This will download the remaining .exe files needed to actually play the game.

Be warned you will most likely get very fast speeds when downloading the multimedia sections of the game, but slower speeds when downloading the actual base code of the game.  It has to do with security or somesuch thing.

Good luck!

I love this streaming preloading getting games online shit. I really do. I think its fantastic.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2006, 05:33:15 PM »

Quote from: "Stardock"
According to the universal code of PC game launches game developers must ensure:

All games, products, and or services that are distributed or rely on a digital/on-line component (e.g. the "Internet") must have a disastrous first few days of availability to ensure that the entire release is tainted.

The level of disaster and general failure of said service must be inversely proportional to the amount of time, effort, and testing that went in to trying to avoid the mandatory fate.

However, the rules do not specify WHEN this disaster must occur.  So there's some wiggle room.  So rather than having the "disaster" and "nightmare" be on Galactic Civilizations II's release date we would like to move it back to be a week BEFORE the release.

So here is what we have in mind:

Tomorrow, February 14th we will open the doors to allow all the existing beta users to begin pre-loading the game. You won't be able to play it as it's just grabbing all the big data files. But it will make sure that on release date your download is only a couple of megs.

For your convenience we will go ahead and create the appropriate posts which will be entitled:

* "Download woes"
    * "Stardock sucks"
    * "Yet ANOTHER problem! HELLO?!"

On Wednesday, February 15th, ALL users who pre-ordered will then have their orders processed and be able to begin preloading the game as well.  New forum threads will be created:

* "Where's my email?!"
    * "Stardock drops the ball...AGAIN!"
    * "Class-action lawsuit may be needed"
    * Yep, it's a cluster you-know-what!
    * Didn't they test this?!?!!?111
    * Game is d0med!!!!1
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2006, 10:25:42 PM »

If you use that Totalgaming.net how do you order/download this game?  Can you yet?  I have 8 tokens, and its one of the reasons why I got the service, but I cant see how to order it or download anything within SDC.

Thanks
olaf

edit: NM I figured it out.  I had to go to the Totalgaming.net site
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2006, 02:19:46 AM »

Quote from: "sclick"
The problem I had with GalCiv was that so much was dependent upon your random starting universe. If you started in a favorable position (some nearby habitable systems to colonize), you were in good shape. If you started in a bad position (no habitable systems in range, so that the AI would end up getting a foothold all around you), there wasn't much of a way to pull out a win.

I enjoyed it nonetheless, but I hope that their random universe generator at least creates starting positions that are more generally balance.

Civilization games handle this masterfully, IMHO, being guaranteed a decent starting position every time.

siege

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2006, 03:25:34 AM »

Stardock has put up the first video detailing some of the gameplay and UI.

http://www.galciv2.com/databank/galciv-1.wmv
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2006, 03:08:03 PM »

A gaming example for your reading pleasure, if you so desire.

There are even pictures and stuff...   :wink:

Link to Dev Journal - Altarian Downfall

By the way, I have watched all the tutorials, as that is easy to do with the pre-load.  It was a mistake.  I can't wait to play as it is, and watching them made it worse.

LD

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2006, 08:31:39 PM »

How do you get them to work? I pre-ordered with Star Dock the CD version pre-loaded everything and downloaded and installed everything related to Gal Civ II and everytime I click tutorial, movie I get the splash window for Gal Civ II and options are manual, update game, and preload info.

would love to watch some movies/tutorials

Ascendent
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2006, 08:52:36 PM »

Why not go into your folder on the hard drive and play them? Think they use BINK.

Oh and dont forget to click the " + " sign beside GalCiv2 in the StarDock menu..that has the movies and stuff for dload. Unless you click the + you dont get those.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2006, 05:49:44 AM »

Another story hot off the presses...

Altarian Struggle

Hmmm... I wonder if I could be more excited for this game?  Scary.

:?

LD

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2006, 07:32:33 AM »

I'm all aboard the hype train on this one, and I don't even know WHY.  This really isn't a game I should even remotely be interested in, but I'm intrigued.  I really am.  And I've done a lot of reading up on it, looking through the dev chat that was on IRC today...but one thing that I still don't understand:

In a screenshot like this:

http://www.galciv2.com/screenshots/gameplay/humans85.jpg

It looks real-time, but I heard it was turn-based?  Soooooo, the game is entirely turn-based, right?

TheMissingLink on PSN
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2006, 01:47:55 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

It looks real-time, but I heard it was turn-based?  Soooooo, the game is entirely turn-based, right?

It's all turn based, but when your ships get into battle they fly around with nifty animations for eye candy.  I imagine it's pretty fun to see the ships you designed yourself come to life.

Are there any videos of these battles around?  All I've seen are still shots so far.
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2006, 03:05:25 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
Are there any videos of these battles around?  All I've seen are still shots so far.

Yeah, and its not far. Look 7 posts up.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2006, 03:59:58 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

It's all turn based, but when your ships get into battle they fly around with nifty animations for eye candy.  I imagine it's pretty fun to see the ships you designed yourself come to life.

wonderpug - Not that I know of yet.  The video on the game so far is of gameplay, UI stuff, trailers, etc...  Nothing on the actual combat screens that I am aware of.

TML - The game is completely, 100% turn-based.  The "combat viewer" is exactly that.  Instead of typical turn-based games (like Civ) where you see some clubs moving up and down on the units heads, and then an outcome being displayed  ("your 3 macemen killed Egypts 2 spearmen"), GalCivII has this viewer that lets you sort of "watch a movie" of your battle.  You can slow it down, speed it up, stuff like that.  You can go through a sort of log of what attacked what, the damage done, absorbed by shields, etc... if you want to.  If you don't want to be bothered by it, you don't even have to watch it.  Just go to the outcome of the fight.  The reason I think so many are interested in it is because the player actually researches, designs, and puts together their own ships, so they want to "see" them perform, even though you have no direct control of the battle outside of saying "Attack Them!".

LD

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: