http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 01:37:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Galciv II - Editions to play?  (Read 1702 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2008, 09:24:01 AM »

So, after the great AAR, I caved and got the entire Galciv II collection. My question is, is there any reason NOT to be playing the latest, Twilight of the Arnors, instead of the previous editions? Isnt it the same game, just enhanced?

A new one
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 11:24:48 AM »

Razgon - The first two editions have their own "campaigns" (if I remember correctly) that will tell the story of the races and the galaxy a bit.  I do not think it is worth playing them, if only because of the time you will need to invest in them.  By the time you "catch up" to to the latest expansion, you'll probably be burned out and not end up playing it.  <---- [All personal opinion only].

With that said, the 1st expansion is excellent and made the original (vanilla) release pale in comparison.  The Arnor expansion (2nd expansion) drastically changed the game as a whole, as it gave each race it's own technology tree and added editors that flat out rock.

You have so many options of how to play the game, I'm not sure you can go wrong no matter what you choose to do, but if it were me, I'd just start with Arnor and not look back.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 01:38:02 PM »

Yeah, start with Twilight of the Arnor. There's no reason not to, really. I'd play a couple games as the Humans to begin with, however, as their tech tree closest to the one from earlier editions of the game and is the most "conventional" compared to modern sci-fi. They're a good get-your-feet-wet race before you branch out into the more diverse races (or into creating your own custom race!).

And I wouldn't bother with the campaign. GalCiv, like Civilization, is really meant to be played in "sandbox" mode. The campaigns are really just a series of sandbox games with some artificial constraints through in and narrative spliced between the missions.

- Ash
Island Dog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 02:03:54 PM »

Twilight is my personal favorite edition, but I would recommend playing at least some fairly quick games just to get a good idea of the story.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 03:10:35 PM »

THanks a lot, guys! I loved the old Galvic, did a fair bit of beta testing on it (and got the T-shirt to prove it ;-) ), so, I'll probably try a few scenarios as well :-)

Twilight, here I come!

A new one
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 04:46:53 PM »

Depends on your tolerance for a learning curve. Myself, I'd play one plain-vanilla game and one with the first expansion, just to familiarize myself with the game mechanics. If you already know the underlying game system, though, there's no reason to wade in gradually.

I quit the campaign after the first episode, when I realized that my progress didn't carry through to the second. Bleah.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 09:50:19 PM »

I'll be jumping into this game shortly.  Picked up the ultimate edition today since I got the email for 25% off, plus it's my birthday gift to myself.
Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 10:51:37 PM »

Quote from: Tokek on September 03, 2008, 09:50:19 PM

I'll be jumping into this game shortly.  Picked up the ultimate edition today since I got the email for 25% off, plus it's my birthday gift to myself.

I never got an email with a coupon, and I get them regularly from Stardock.

Damn.

I'm looking to p/u both expansions, too.

Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 10:56:31 PM »

Quote from: Gromit on September 03, 2008, 10:51:37 PM

Damn.

The email said it's for people who has Sins of a Solar Empire
Island Dog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 05:41:35 PM »

Quote from: Gromit on September 03, 2008, 10:51:37 PM

Quote from: Tokek on September 03, 2008, 09:50:19 PM

Damn.

Mailers don't go out all at once, so if you are on the list you should get it.
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 06:46:42 PM »

*Sigh* wasn't able to play since Impulse keeps crashing on me with script error.  crybaby
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 09:07:05 PM »

News on GalCiv II - version 2.0

Brad has started a preview here:  LINK

It's not much yet, but the big news for me is Tech Brokering.  Thank Jesus, Buddha, and Micky Mouse - it's finally going in!

Woot and a half!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 04:07:01 PM »

Hmmm...don't really grasp the difference between tech trading and tech brokering's effect: I realize that turning them off prevents everyone from having the same techs so we'd get unique strategies and specific civ strategies but what would it mean to turn off tech trading but allow tech brokering (does that make sense)? Or vice versa? Does turning off tech trading automatically turn off tech brokering? Maybe allowing tech trading automatically enables tech brokering unless one turns off
 the (new) tech brokering option
? I'm thinking the highlighted sentence is the correct one: it would not be all or nothing with the new option; one could trade without thinking that your ally would sell the research later if you had tech brokering disabled. So the "tech brokering option" is a tweaking of "tech trading"? Correct?

Have a stumbled upon the answer anywhere above?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 05:34:26 PM by JohnathanStrange » Logged

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »

Whoa.  I hope that question wasn't directed to me, cause I'm not that smart.  You lost me on sentence two.

"Tech Brokering" (used in this context) is the ability for the Thalans to trade for a Terran technology and then turn around and trade that Terran technology to the Drengin.  To disable Tech Brokering is to disallow that action.

It would only make sense to disable Tech Brokering if Tech Trading were ON. 

Disabling Brokering would allow you and the computer AI to only trade tech that you or they researched themselves.

LD

JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 06:46:44 PM »

Ok, I see it now. It's probably simple once "in game". I got it.  smile

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 07:21:41 PM »

I finally bought the second expansion a few days ago as I have a couple of days without work right now. Haven't played the game since GC2 was originally released, and it has gone through a lot of changes since then. Suffice to say, I haven't done anything but play GC2 since I bought the expansion. smile

My first game was as the Altarians on normal difficulty in a medium galaxy. With the timely help of a Lucky Ranger, I managed to defeat the Yor and get everyone else to ally with me. Even the Drengin. At one point in the game they told me "Time to die!" then sent a bunch of fighters at me that all exploded against my military starbases. By the end of the game they told me: "Hey, you look great! I mean, you really look good! Uh, not that you don't look good usually. Look... just don't hurt me, okay?". Diplomatic victory it was, and such a sweet one at that.

Right now I'm playing as the Iconians in a large galaxy, also on normal. My two closest neighbors were the Yor and the Korath (who are in no way or shape based on or ripped off of the Kohr-Ah in Star Control 2. No sir, they are completely different. If you squint. And turn your head a little. And become stupid) who have both been eliminated at this point in time, and I've never been at war with any race yet. Guess who owns most of their old planets. slywink

Politics can be a lethal weapon in the wrong hands. smile
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 07:23:37 PM by TiLT » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: