http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 08:01:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] Galactic Civilizations III  (Read 679 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« on: October 15, 2013, 10:00:02 PM »

New entry in the series.  

trailer
Link

SD is also doing the buy now option, but it may be a bit much to swallow after Elemental's notorious launch.

$39.99 Founders' edition gets Beta access
$99.99 Founders' Elite edition gets Alpha plus all DLC and expansions.  plus, you get to name a star.

were it not for the higher price of the Elite edition.  would be worth it for the DLC/Expansions at a lower price.  

not a lot of details yet, but it looks like they've finally added MP, and both hot seat and internet.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 10:05:38 PM by Caine » Logged

Appollo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 11:09:28 PM »

Not ever played these games but am interested, how easy for a complete newb would it be to pick up and run with it
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 03:15:16 AM »

So I'm guessing from the trailer that this is some kind of 3rd person shooter/RPG? Or am I getting that impression from yet another useless trailer that gives absolutely no idea of what type of game it is? Have they decided to add a soul to this version? I'm intrigued but the last thing I want to do is give Stardock any of my money.  Maybe when it's $5 I'll buckle.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 04:03:40 AM »

If GalCivIII is like GalCivII then it shouldn't be too hard to pick up and play. I think GalCivII is like the Civ series, only easier. And more oriented towards combat, which I like  icon_biggrin

I too was rather thrown off by the trailer, which I'm guessing isn't at all representative of the actual game play.

I like Stardock and didn't have problems getting support when I had an issue with my authentication key back in the days before Steam. I'm happy they will be releasing through Steam, that would seem to make the whole authentication system much easier. But paying twice as much as the final retail price for a chance to be in the Alpha seems too rich for my blood. So I'll pass and wait for final release, and then maybe a patch or two.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 04:44:02 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on October 21, 2013, 04:03:40 AM

I too was rather thrown off by the trailer, which I'm guessing isn't at all representative of the actual game play.

I think it's your usual cinematic trailer that is only for story purposes and not meant to hint at game play.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 04:50:08 PM »

After Elemental? I think it's safer to wait for them to release it.
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 05:21:43 PM »

Fallen enchantress legendary heroes came after elemental and is a very good game, so to me they have already redeemed themselves from what happened with Elemental.     Ill be getting this when it comes out without any reservations.
Island Dog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 09:24:39 PM »

If you are interested in the events around the Galactic Civilizations universe you can check out the interactive timeline that's been setup.  Just pick the year and get some history on the events during that time. smile

http://galciv3.com/databanks/timeline

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 07:08:12 AM »

Hah, they'll redeem themselves when they actually put out a complete and fun game the first time around, and not saddle their dedicated fans with shoddy work for years, then hire a thief to try to fix their problems.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 07:45:22 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on October 21, 2013, 03:15:16 AM

So I'm guessing from the trailer that this is some kind of 3rd person shooter/RPG? Or am I getting that impression from yet another useless trailer that gives absolutely no idea of what type of game it is?

Based on how they describe the game on the website

"Galactic Civilizations III is a 4X space strategy game set in the 23rd century. Humans and aliens compete against each other for domination of our galaxy."

I'd say that it'll be a strategy game more along the lines of GalCiv II. My guess is that what's shown in the trailer are cut scenes or clips made using the tech they'll be using for cut scenes. CalCiv II was an excellent game, so I'm certainly looking forward to this.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 03:33:40 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 19, 2013, 07:08:12 AM

Hah, they'll redeem themselves when they actually put out a complete and fun game the first time around, and not saddle their dedicated fans with shoddy work for years, then hire a thief to try to fix their problems.

The company has fallen out of favor with me quite a bit, too, but I did love GalCiv 1 (I preferred the more limited ship choices compared to #2) and I give Island Dog a lot of credit for still stopping by here and OO to talk about the game as well as participate in other threads.  I'd hate to make him feel unwelcome.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 04:49:50 PM »

I loved gc1 and played a fair chunk of 2.  as long as they keep to the high standards they had then, and seem to have regained since the last FE release, I'll be interested in picking this up. 

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 04:52:13 PM »

I missed this earlier, but the game is now in Early Access and offering a discounted price of $45.  Fair warning though, it appears this abuses the meaning of 'beta' and has a number of features missing or poorly implemented. 

http://store.steampowered.com/app/226860/

It is Stardock, so expect it to be feature complete and bug free at some point.  (Whether before release or after is the question)

Island Dog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 04:19:14 PM »

This is the current tentative schedule for GCIII.

October 2014: Beta 2 - Diplomacy! Trade! United Planets! Krynn Syndicate! Global Events!
October will be a big month for GalCiv III. Many of the non-combat paths open up at this point, and we introduce global events and the fifth faction, the Krynn Syndicate.

December 2014: Beta 3 - Combat! Yor Singularity!
This is the big combat update. Ground invasions, our new take on fleet combat, and the sinister mechanical Yor join the beta before the end of the year.

Early 2015: Iteration, balance, polish, factions 7 & 8, and more!

April 2015: Release!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: