http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 04:26:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: G.R.A.W. 2  (Read 1171 times)
papasmurff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2006, 05:11:06 PM »

I was just browsing the game videos in marketplace this morning, since I am stuck in my dorm room for the next couple of hours while they replace the hallway carpet, and I noticed two videos that struck me as interesting.  The first being the recreation of the brutes for Halo 3 and the other being the announcement trailer for GRAW 2.  Is there really any interest in this game?

Personally, the only thing I had fun with was the on-line MP play.  I have no real interest in this since I have rainbow 6 and other fighting games which have implemented team tactics, weapon systems, and well just general gaming a whole lot better.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 05:16:51 PM »

I was pretty disappointed with the single player in GRAW. The first four levels in GRAW were great, gradually introducing your squadmates and different situations and then culminating in a pitched battle where you control your squadmates, a tank and a helicoptor. Then they drop you in a solo mission Roll Eyes I wanted them to put me into more and more interesting C&C situations, but it never did.

That said, I'd buy and play GRAW2 if the single-player is improved and they can do something about the horrible AI. I don't neccessairily want *improved* AI, just something that prevents my teammates from running direcly into enemy fire when trying to get from point A to point B.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 05:18:19 PM »

I hope it's much improved but I second Andrew's disappointment in single player.  And I'm very disappointed that they are sticking with Mexico as a setting.  It feels done to death now. 
Kratz
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 05:33:07 PM »

I think if they took some pages from the R6 and GOW playbooks and worked on the team AI it could be a really great game.

I'm in the minority, I know, but I'm enjoying the GRAW single player.  I like the big linked missions.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 05:55:28 PM »

I really, really want direct control of my teammates back for these games.  While I had other issues, my major complaint for GRAW (and R6: Vegas to an extent) was that I didn't find it particularly satisfying to just point at an object and for my guys to cover on.  I much preferred the extent of planning available in earlier incarnations of these series. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 06:35:30 PM »

I loved GRAW.

There, I said it.

It was a well-executed game with only the heli parts that pissed me off.

I DID enjoy controlling the Ghosts individually though; it would have been nice to be able to do so. I think they were trying to speed up the game though by using AI. You should be able to choose, IMHO.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 11:48:21 PM »

I liked it and will get the second.  Improvements or not. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 01:32:22 AM »

I'll get it if only for the MP portion.  I've barely touched the SP portion of the first one.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 08:36:12 AM »

I will absolutely get the second, but I was very dissapointed in the wonky control and poor mission design of the single player in GRAW. The last 3 missions in particular (which I never finished), were just god awfully badly designed and frustrating.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 08:41:24 AM »

i have the first one but was let down by it,i wanted to like it...but it seemed as though it went out of its way to make the controls a pain in the ass.....loving rainbow 6 vegas though

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 12:06:18 PM »

Hmm, odd.

I thought the production values were through the roof on the single-player game, I really enjoyed it.
It had nice Hollywood-like missions, not too much hassle, great firefights...

I never touched the multiplayer, once I found out there was no 3rd person view and use of cover... (Or is there...  paranoid )
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 03:12:57 PM »

Quote from: The Rocketman on December 21, 2006, 12:06:18 PM

I thought the production values were through the roof on the single-player game, I really enjoyed it.
It had nice Hollywood-like missions, not too much hassle, great firefights...

This was my experience as well.  I'm a big fan of the series and I really enjoyed both the SP and the MP.  My only gripe being the helicopter missions on the Hard difficulty setting.  What do you guys mean by 'wonky controls'?  I don't recall any fumbling during my time with the game. 

Not saying there isn't room for some improvement, though.  I ended up just using my squad primarly for covering fire while I always took point.  It worked out fine, but it'd be nice to have better A.I. so that I could use different tactics with confidence.  But then the same goes for R6 as they never take cover on their own initiative.  Open and clear, yes, but if you start getting shot then take cover dumbassess.  Seems like pretty simple logic.

Kevin, perhaps I missed or am forgetting some other titles, but hasn't Mexico only been one game (GRAW) one level (R6) which were 9 months apart?  I'm always up for a new setting, but if that's done to death then Omaha Beach would like to have a chat with you.  icon_wink

And I really hope they work the cover mechanism in from R6.  It would be sorely missed at this point.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 03:27:16 PM »

Quote from: The Rocketman on December 21, 2006, 12:06:18 PM

I never touched the multiplayer, once I found out there was no 3rd person view and use of cover... (Or is there...  paranoid )

There may be cover mechanics in MP, I'm not sure.

~Cee 'Rambo' Kay
 icon_biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 03:28:05 PM »

I enjoyed GRAW's multiplayer quite a bit.  I keep meaning to go back and play the SP campaign but other games keep getting in the way.  I do intend to go back and play it eventually though.  Up until GoW I though GRAW was the best online 360 game available.  I would love it if they implemented GoW's drop in coop over Live in GRAW 2. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 03:31:52 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on December 21, 2006, 03:12:57 PM

Kevin, perhaps I missed or am forgetting some other titles, but hasn't Mexico only been one game (GRAW) one level (R6) which were 9 months apart?  I'm always up for a new setting, but if that's done to death then Omaha Beach would like to have a chat with you.  icon_wink

Well, Splinter Cell Double Agent had a level on a cruise ship to Cozumel  Tongue

I didn't really feel like GRAW exploited it's environment very well.  The levels all ended up feeling very same-y to me and was one of the weaknesses I had with the game.  Then I play R6, where I thought the idea of the Vegas setting was very inspired and a nice change of pace, and in the first level I immediately feel like I accidentally put GRAW into the 360 instead.  Didn't get me off on a good footing with that game. 

I just feel like they may have taken that particularly setting as far as it can go in level design and it also makes for a relatively monochromatic visual palette as well.  I know Urban environments are "in" for tactical shooters now, but I would like to see R6 stick with the Urban stuff since it's gameplay systems are designed for it and maybe have GRAW get back to the organic environments we saw in the first game.  As it is, R6 and GRAW feel more like kissing cousins now rather than separate franchises. 

No arguments on Omaha Beach- I think I groaned when I heard that was going to be the first level in Company of Heroes. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 09:37:26 PM »

The cover mechanic in GRAW was clunky, poorly implemented, and badly integrated into the game. Ubisoft has made tremendous progress since then and I have hopes for a new system.

However. A big however-this talk of it being entirely in Mexico again? Color me absolutely unimpressed and turned off. The only reason they are doing this is to recycle assets from the first game, of that I am 99% positive. I am bored of mexico, bored of drab brown, and very dissapointed in this decision.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 09:46:11 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 21, 2006, 09:37:26 PM

However. A big however-this talk of it being entirely in Mexico again?

Well some of it does take place in Texas on the other side of the border.  But, yeah, I don't think that will do a whole lot to increase the artistic diversity. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 09:52:24 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 21, 2006, 09:46:11 PM

Quote from: Calvin on December 21, 2006, 09:37:26 PM

However. A big however-this talk of it being entirely in Mexico again?

Well some of it does take place in Texas on the other side of the border.  But, yeah, I don't think that will do a whole lot to increase the artistic diversity. 

Oh absolutely. The difference in color pallete and architecture is just startling between the areas.  :slywink:
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 11:12:34 PM »

I guess when you set your game in a region of the world that is notoriously brown there's not much you can do about the architecture other than taking artistic freedoms.  I enjoyed Full Spectrum Warrior but it, being set in the Middle East, was also very brown.  Perhaps if we write a letter to their respective governments they can get right on sprucing the buildings up for our entertainment endeavors and planting some pretty flowers.  I mean come on!  It's free vacation destination advertising and you're totally blowing it!  icon_biggrin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: