http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 06:57:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: G.o.W.  (Read 6481 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2006, 02:18:04 PM »

Another perfect score!

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3154958

10/10

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2006, 02:29:38 PM »

I think that 1up review is interesting since it talks about how matchmaking is 'broken'.  Can't join friends in a ranked match -- rather it's random people of your same level if you are going ranked to prevent cheating.  So long as I can do an unranked match with a squad of friends, I don't particularly care.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2006, 03:27:52 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on November 07, 2006, 12:50:38 PM

Got the call from EB that my copy will be ready for pick up this afternoon.  Sweet!  Emergence Day has arrived.  Haven't been this excited about a game since I don't know when.  THIS is why I bought a 360!

I got the same call, but talking to the store today brought a different answer.  They're holding fast to the midnight opening or tomorrow deal.  Though they're not even sure about being open at midnight still(?!).  She was talking like tomorrow's the release date.

I'll try back about 2pm, just to be sure, but that's annoying.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2006, 03:39:17 PM »

Quote from: JLu on November 07, 2006, 02:29:38 PM

I think that 1up review is interesting since it talks about how matchmaking is 'broken'.  Can't join friends in a ranked match -- rather it's random people of your same level if you are going ranked to prevent cheating.  So long as I can do an unranked match with a squad of friends, I don't particularly care.

In GoW's defense, the reason why you can't do ranked with friends is that MIcrosoft requires that all live ranked games have randomly selected teammates.  Since this was forced on the devs by MS, and MS does this to all 360 devs, they can't really knock them down points.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2006, 03:52:29 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 07, 2006, 03:39:17 PM

Quote from: JLu on November 07, 2006, 02:29:38 PM

In GoW's defense, the reason why you can't do ranked with friends is that MIcrosoft requires that all live ranked games have randomly selected teammates.  Since this was forced on the devs by MS, and MS does this to all 360 devs, they can't really knock them down points.

I didn't realize that was a Microsoft deemed rule.  I have mixed feelings on it, but if that is the way it is, hopefully a de-emphasis on 'rank' follows.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2006, 04:43:51 PM »

As a future Live N00B what does all this mean? Will I be able to play with you guys or not?
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2006, 04:45:33 PM »

I believe thats a yes, just not in ranked games (randomly assigned teams based on your lifetime 'score').
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2006, 04:47:41 PM »

Yeah; I can not imagine that they removed the ability to take 3 friends into a random unranked 4x4 match (and hopefully can have a room of 8 people and do 4x4 matches too).  If that isn't possible, I think that it would kill the long and shortterm multiplayer playability.

The only thing is you can't play with friends and see a number next to your name go from 1 up to 20 or whatever.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2006, 04:50:26 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 07, 2006, 03:27:52 PM

Quote from: mikeg on November 07, 2006, 12:50:38 PM

Got the call from EB that my copy will be ready for pick up this afternoon.  Sweet!  Emergence Day has arrived.  Haven't been this excited about a game since I don't know when.  THIS is why I bought a 360!

I got the same call, but talking to the store today brought a different answer.  They're holding fast to the midnight opening or tomorrow deal.  Though they're not even sure about being open at midnight still(?!).  She was talking like tomorrow's the release date.

I'll try back about 2pm, just to be sure, but that's annoying.

I just called my local EB.  They're sending someone to the airport and it should be in around 4pm.  I can pick it up on my way from work tonight.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2006, 04:52:31 PM »

From 1up:

You can always find reasons not to give a game a review score of 10. Control issues (Gears of War has that). A.I. problems (that, too). Bad dialogue or story telling (yes on both). Linear levels, online lag, limited modes (yup, yup, and yup). But as I was playing through the game, I found one consistently good feature: It was constantly impressing the hell out of me.

I'm sorry, but any game with control issues, A.I. issues, poor dialogue, a cliched story and limited multiplayer modes does NOT deserve a 10.

Your partner, Dom, dies...A LOT...especially on the Hardcore difficulty setting. He is a constant liability, crying for you to revive him when enemies are all about, firing at the only other human that's standing around (which happens to be you). And on one late stage, Dom just flat-out refused to follow me into a train station packed with bad guys -- he got hung up in an alley and would not leave.

The story is ambitious (the underground-dwelling Locust burst through the Earth's crust to wipe out humanity), cliché-ridden, and you can tell how the story's going to end before you even reach it

My biggest complaint, however, is with the multiplayer options. What's there is a lot of fun, but that fun isn't going to last very long until downloadable content comes along...

Other games would have been hammered for these reasons. How is it that this title gets a pass? I'm sure the game is great, but a ten should have less major or minor missteps.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 05:12:05 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2006, 05:05:06 PM »

I called again and the same lady sheepishly admitted it would be in this afternoon about 4 or 5 pm.  Ha!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 05:22:14 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2006, 05:28:30 PM »

Apparently Boston is getting the shaft.  Called a bunch of EBs/Gamestops in the metro area, and all of them are saying tomorrow. 

I want to know where all these magical same day shipments are coming in so I can go buy it there.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2006, 05:32:11 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 07, 2006, 05:28:30 PM

Apparently Boston is getting the shaft.  Called a bunch of EBs/Gamestops in the metro area, and all of them are saying tomorrow. 

I want to know where all these magical same day shipments are coming in so I can go buy it there.

Columbus Ohio, but as I said they are specifically driving to the airport to grab it early.  I love my EB!!  bowdown

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2006, 05:40:44 PM »

Other games would have been hammered for these reasons. How is it that this title gets a pass? I'm sure the game is great, but a ten should have less major or minor missteps.

The same can be said for any major release. FF12, Halo 2, and almost any other high-profile game you can think if is usually given a pass when it comes to issues which would otherwise bring any other game down a few notches. However, I'm beginning to understand why reviewers give games perfect scores. No game is perfect, no video game ever released has been without issues, the only thing you can honestly rate on is the experience. Despite GoW's issues, the guy made it clear that the entire time he was impressed, he probably deemed it to be the perfect gaming experience. That's my take on games given 9 and 10's when they have some obvious flaws.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2006, 05:46:41 PM »

Guitar Hero 1 was not a perfect game.  There was no practice mode, and the hard songs were almost impossible to improve at.  The multiplayer was essentially tacked on.  Graphics were technically meh.  Characters shared a small range of animations, and repeated them frequently.

Yet the overall experience of the game surpassed all those issues, and rendered them irrelevant.  Of course, I wish they weren't there (and most of them have been fixed in the sequel), but if the game is enough fun, the issues it has don't really matter in the final reckoning.  I suspect that's what's going on with the Gears of War review.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2006, 05:53:37 PM »

Woo!  I just called the Gamestop I have GoW preordered at.  Last Tues, I bought a used Animal Crossing DS for the girlfriend, and she doesn't like it.  It's a 7 day return policy, but GoW isn't in until tomorrow, which is day 8.  Wanted to know if I could return it tomorrow when I got GoW.  Confirmed that it's not it til tomorrow, and dude says "It's tomorrow unless you have it preordered, in which case it's after 5 today." 

Score!  I'll head down there, and hopefully be online by nine or so.  Woo!

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2006, 06:24:22 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 07, 2006, 01:23:53 PM

Reviews so far:

OXM 10/10
Play Mag 10/10
Yahoo games 4.5/5
G4tv 5/5
Gamespot 9.6

I'll be picking it up this afternoon! smile
OMFGHI2u!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2006, 07:03:32 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 07, 2006, 05:40:44 PM

The same can be said for any major release. FF12, Halo 2, and almost any other high-profile game you can think if is usually given a pass when it comes to issues which would otherwise bring any other game down a few notches. However, I'm beginning to understand why reviewers give games perfect scores. No game is perfect, no video game ever released has been without issues, the only thing you can honestly rate on is the experience. Despite GoW's issues, the guy made it clear that the entire time he was impressed, he probably deemed it to be the perfect gaming experience. That's my take on games given 9 and 10's when they have some obvious flaws.

The 1Up Gears of War review is awful IMO, almost as bad as their NWN2 review.  I have no problem at all with games getting a 10- no game is perfect so 10 just means they are giving their absolutely highest recommendation.

However, I feel that the review of any game scoring that high should have me chomping at the bit to get my hands on the game by the time I finish reading the review.  Mention the negative in passing if necessary, but please focus the bulk of the review text on what makes the game so awesome- that's where the Gears review fails for me.  Way too much emphasis on what's poor, and too little on what's good.  I actually am *less* excited for the game after reading that review which shouldn't be the desired effect when you read a score like that. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2006, 07:15:02 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 07, 2006, 07:03:32 PM

Quote from: Ridah on November 07, 2006, 05:40:44 PM

The 1Up Gears of War review is awful IMO, almost as bad as their NWN2 review.  I have no problem at all with games getting a 10- no game is perfect so 10 just means they are giving their absolutely highest recommendation.

However, I feel that the review of any game scoring that high should have me chomping at the bit to get my hands on the game by the time I finish reading the review.  Mention the negative in passing if necessary, but please focus the bulk of the review text on what makes the game so awesome- that's where the Gears review fails for me.  Way too much emphasis on what's poor, and too little on what's good.  I actually am *less* excited for the game after reading that review which shouldn't be the desired effect when you read a score like that. 

The gamespot review will fix that paradox Kevin!! BTW-what is your live tag so we can look you up for GoW? PM me if your keeping it private!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2006, 07:21:40 PM »

Not private at all (KMGrey) but I'm only on Silver so no Live play for me unless they have some free weekends coming up. 
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2006, 09:00:50 PM »

I called Gamestop. My copy has arrived! yay

Too bad I probably can't play it for a few days.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2006, 09:06:41 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on November 07, 2006, 09:00:50 PM

I called Gamestop. My copy has arrived! yay

Too bad I probably can't play it for a few days.

Co-op this weekend then?  nod
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2006, 11:50:59 PM »

bah...just got my call from Gamestop while i was reading this thread and my copy won't be in until tomorrow.  after what some others have said, maybe i'll give my actual store a call anyway just to make sure...

if i have to wait until tomorrow, i'll be cancelling my preorder and picking it up at BestBuy instead...double RewardZone points on games and movies right now, and i have a couple DVDs to pick up anyway.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2006, 12:06:37 AM »

God I love having this game early....good times.....will be on all night feel free to invite me and Jarrodhk

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2006, 08:00:44 PM »

Picking this up on the way home tonight...  Should be giving it a go through the tutorial in two hours.  Looking forward to it!

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2006, 11:44:05 PM »

according to my nearest Gamestop just outside Hartford, CT, my copy of the CE is still sitting at a FedEx station in Tennessee, and noone else in the area has any copies of the game yet either.  i checked several places in the immediate area and came up empty...BestBuy got their copies in but supposedly sold out about 10 minutes before i walked in the door  icon_mad

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2006, 02:22:56 AM »

Quote from: disarm on November 08, 2006, 11:44:05 PM

according to my nearest Gamestop just outside Hartford, CT, my copy of the CE is still sitting at a FedEx station in Tennessee, and noone else in the area has any copies of the game yet either.  i checked several places in the immediate area and came up empty...BestBuy got their copies in but supposedly sold out about 10 minutes before i walked in the door  icon_mad

We had the same problem in this area: all the GameStop/EB's are reporting "an unforseen shipping problem" so I stopped in at Circuit City and they had the same thing.  I wanted to pick up the Cars DVD (with free poster) for my nephew so I went to Best Buy and they had a bunch.  Of course, they just implemented a new system where they keep their 360 games in a lockup cage by the registers and there was no signs or empty cases of Gears so unless you ask you wouldn't even know it was in.  Dorks. 

Needless to say I grabbed one.  icon_biggrin 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2006, 02:37:42 AM »

Well apparently the word is that Fedex has LOST 200,000 copies of GOW.  That's crazy!  I'm cancelling my preorder and getting it from Best Buy or Target this weekend.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2006, 04:12:48 AM »

Where are you hearing that FedEx lost those copies?

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2006, 04:25:22 AM »

I got the same FedEx story.

Chaz - Looks like all the Bostin area was hosed.

Jlu - You get to pick it up?

One day of Deval Patrick and I'm already getting screwed!!   icon_wink

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2006, 05:31:00 AM »

Boston area seems to have been hosed, but Best Buy came through, and delivered copies of Gears of War and CoD3.  However, they had Elite Beat Agents in the back, and refused to bring one out to sell it to me.  The Target across the way was more than happy to sell me one of those.

I did fill out the online customer survey after this fiasco, and I'd encourage others to do the same. 

StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2006, 05:38:05 AM »

That's the word coming from Gamestop.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2006, 10:27:28 AM »

So... are the Gamestops and EB's on the East Coast getting these delayed shipments today then?  (Thursday).

If so, tonight is going to be crazy with all the GT'ers online... which will be awesome.

How many GT'ers did you guys have online last night playing GearsOfWar by the way?

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2006, 12:34:00 PM »

I had a high of about 20 folks on my friends list on at around 11 pm last night.  Should definitely be higher after today and earlier in the evening.

Of course, with my luck, by the time I get back from my trip next Monday, everyone will have gotten tired of it already, and I won't see anyone online. crybaby

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2006, 12:54:05 PM »

For 60 freakin' dollars - I sure hope you're wrong about that. 

And I will be playing as long as Soulchilde is - cause shooting him never, ever, ever gets old.

Barring some bizarre twist of fate, I will be online tonight.  I expect to get in lots of multiplayer with GT'ers.  I may even pull a "devil' and open the box, insert the game, and proceed immediately to Live, foregoing any training whatsoever.

Maybe we can get some serious GT-Only 4 vs 4 going tonight.  Has anyone done that yet?  How was the lag?

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2006, 12:57:12 PM »

Quote from: Devil on November 09, 2006, 04:25:22 AM

I got the same FedEx story.

Chaz - Looks like all the Bostin area was hosed.

Jlu - You get to pick it up?

One day of Deval Patrick and I'm already getting screwed!!   icon_wink

My Gamestop had the Collector's Edition, but none of the regular.  I was ticked if only because they left the message the day before.  Went on to Target and they didn't have it either, and even braved a Walmart where they too only had the CE in...  I will be online tonight though!! 

Funny, Devil; the first thing I thought was when I got in the car after striking out was, "Could it somehow be Deval Patrick's fault already?"

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2006, 01:07:08 PM »

Funny, Devil; the first thing I thought was when I got in the car after striking out was, "Could it somehow be Deval Patrick's fault already?"

Oh, it's not?  I was kind of assuming it was.  Silly me.

But if I get dropped because of lag, that's his fault, right?

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2006, 01:15:24 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 09, 2006, 01:07:08 PM

Oh, it's not?  I was kind of assuming it was.  Silly me.

But if I get dropped because of lag, that's his fault, right?

I was annoyed, and had been reading far too many political threads here in the past few days...  Just one of those thoughts that went through my head is all.  (His press conference happened to be on the radio at the time, and I'll say he did sound to be saying the right things in victory).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 01:18:23 PM by JLu » Logged

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2006, 01:51:30 PM »

Just jokes - I'm sure Gov. Urkel will do a fine job.

My EB had nothing. I ordered the CE too (no idea why). They are giving everyone $5 off for the screw-up.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2006, 03:33:32 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on November 09, 2006, 12:54:05 PM

For 60 freakin' dollars - I sure hope you're wrong about that. 

And I will be playing as long as Soulchilde is - cause shooting him never, ever, ever gets old.

Barring some bizarre twist of fate, I will be online tonight.  I expect to get in lots of multiplayer with GT'ers.  I may even pull a "devil' and open the box, insert the game, and proceed immediately to Live, foregoing any training whatsoever.

Maybe we can get some serious GT-Only 4 vs 4 going tonight.  Has anyone done that yet?  How was the lag?

We played last night.  The biggest issue we were having was connecting.  It seemed if Jarrod or I hosted Calvin and TML couldn't join.  We might have had one or two people who were other friends not GT but for the most part we didn't have an issue getting people to play 3 v 3 or 4 v 4.  I didn't even notice a lag.  The game runs really smooth....

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: