http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 02:47:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Full Auto impressions  (Read 1021 times)
Zinfan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2006, 06:11:02 AM »

Cross posted from OO

Not heeding any warnings from the demo players out there (actually I forgot I had pre-ordered it  ) I received Full Auto today so I thought Iíd toss a few impressions out.  I only have an hour of play time in so far so keep that in mind.   

The graphics are very nice and to my eye are better than NFS:MW, at least I like the fact it is bright daylight and not gloomy like NFS.  I did not see any issues with frame rate during game play even when online via Live.

After playing NFS I find the handling of the cars in FA to be pretty basic and not nearly as fun, all cars Iíve tried seemed to be tail happy and I spent a lot of time sliding out around corners.  As was stated by some demo players the controls are a bit busy trying to control speed (RT), braking (LT), boost (LB), time rewind (RB), primary weapon (A), secondary weapon (B), e-brake (X) and rear view (Y) while driving around with things exploding everywhere.  I know I got lost a few times trying to slide around a corner while shooting, sometimes it felt like playing Guitar Hero on a new difficulty level where I get my fingers all crossed up and am not sure why Iím pressing the button I have mashed down.  Iím sure that more time will allow me to get better at it but for now it is confusing.

Game play is a mixed bag as trying to race around while destroying other players or the environment makes for a very busy screen.  There are explosions going off every where and while they look nice they also make it hard to see what is up ahead (something I value in a driving game).  I had a few times where I fired a rocket off and driving in to the resulting ball of flame meant I couldnít see where I was to go next and I ended up slamming into a wall.  I suppose if I get better at using the mini map this would be less of an issue.  Overall the game play isnít all that fantastic, they just didnít capture the thrill of driving recklessly like in NFS:MW nor the thrill of destruction like Burnout even though you have weapons.  Perhaps more time with the game will improve the experience for me.

Live online play was easy to get into ( I played a few quick setup games) and I didnít notice any lag except at the start of a game that went away pretty quickly.  The matches were pretty short and again the weapons portion of the game didnít seem to add much to the overall experience, just not as much fun as I expected.  

I unlocked 10 of the 50 achievements while playing so they are pretty accessible right away (some for causing a certain amount of damage and some were for completing missions and one for playing on Live).

Overall I kinda wish I had canceled my pre-order and waited for some more in depth reviews as driving a car without the handling as in NFS is more than enough to offset any thrill I get by firing rockets at cars and blowing up bldgs.  More time will be put into the game and I do hope it grows on me.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 12:50:08 PM »

I've got it, but promised my son I wouldn't play until we both could, which will be this afternoon. Looking forward to seeing how it has improved since the demo.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 11:22:07 PM »

Interesting...

Overall not bad. The explosiveness meter is off the scale.
The feel is improved a bit from the demo and the cars have more weight than I remember, but largely the same.
Sounds are better but still tend to be muddy, much like the on screen action.

Some of the events I've tried so far are pretty tough. It doesn't take a lot to send your car careenng out of control.

Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 01:19:51 AM »

Are you guys playing this in HD wide screen? I keep hearing that the framerate is worse in that configuration than in 4:3.

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 09:36:54 AM »

Quote from: "Cleric7"
Are you guys playing this in HD wide screen? I keep hearing that the framerate is worse in that configuration than in 4:3.

I am and don't see any framerate issues.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 02:45:29 PM »

Oh, I forgot that. I have seen the framerate slow to an absolute crawl when playing head to head. We're talking a momentary side show. That was really surprising. While I don't mind a bit of graphical slowdown in a racing title this arcadish (NFSMW has PLENTY of it but I don't generally hear people complain) this was severe.

Yes, I am playing in a widescreen configuration. I have not seen anything anywhere near as bad when there was a single player.

I plan to spend some more time with it today.

I forgot to mention, the instant replay mode in the game didn't seem anything like what was shown in the developer interview I saw recently. Yes you could slow down time, but I couldn't figure out how to move the camera. I might have been missing something. (edit: I was missing something, my bad). You have to hit a button to pause then you can swing the camera.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 06:08:00 PM »

I only played the demo of Full Auto, but the graphics were grossly inferior to NFS:MW based on that preview of the game.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 08:43:41 PM »

No, I don't feel the graphics are inferior at all. I think you have to bear in mind the destructibility of the environment, which is absolutely amazing. I think that is worth sacrificing a little bit in terms of the other visuals (e.g. the cars aren't as nice as NFSMW).

However, Full Auto has some game stopping issues. This game was rushed and needs a patch in a serious way.

The biggies I've encountered:

1) Slowdown, even in single-player. It's pervasive and inexcusable.

2) I have now, on two separate occasions on different tracks, accidentally passed THROUGH one of the artificial track barriers. This basically amounts to there being a hole in the geometry. When this happens you CAN NOT simply pass back through the barrier and continue your race because the barrier is two way. This is posiitively deplorable from a Q&A standpoint.

Bear in mind something when reading my comments:

I like the game. If you care to look back at the thread on the demo, you'll see I'm one of the few that wanted the game MORE after playing the demo. There's a very fun game here, waiting to be found, but there are some serious issues.

I would avoid this one for the time being and hope they fix it, or at least realize it has some flaws going in. I'm still having fun with it, as is my son, but it could have been better. If they make some fixes, this could become pure, shriek-inducing fun. (edit: I take it back...it's shriek-inducing fun even with the problems. The insane stunts/wrecks I've already seen are simply amazing).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: