http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 06:31:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel  (Read 3128 times)
MonkeyFinger
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2009, 04:23:43 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on June 05, 2009, 04:08:50 PM

For things I like, there are also things I don't care about. I don't care that there's no visual damage modeling, or player controllable tricks on the cycles and quads, or cockpit views, or aftermarket performance mods for the vehicles, or tuning options. If the lack of these things bother you, you may want to rent the game first. For me, the lack of those items doesn't detract at all from the experience.

I'm right there with you except for the visual damage... I *love* that in other games when it's done well and would really appreciate it here but the lack of it isn't a deal-breaker for me as long as there's some kind of damage modeling. For the quad/atv trick riding I've already got Pure and it is very well done there. Everything else falls into the "wouldn't really use" camp for me.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2009, 06:07:58 PM »

There are 70 career races.  It's right on the back of the PS3 packaging.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2009, 06:50:05 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on June 05, 2009, 06:07:58 PM

There are 70 career races.  It's right on the back of the PS3 packaging.

Hey, it's on the back of the 360 package too! And there's writing and some pictures and...   Roll Eyes

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2009, 02:49:46 PM »

Just had my first chance to drive around a bit. Like the driving model (nice balance between realism and ease of use). The terrain I've seen so far is wonderful. Love that there's fuel canisters to find by exploring and other collectible stuff.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2009, 05:26:04 PM »

LALALALA, I can't hear you!  I need to finish Red Faction before Prototype comes out.  I have no time for this game.  LALALALA... paranoid

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2009, 05:40:04 PM »

I gave up.  Picked up Fuel and Red Faction last night, and planning on getting Prototype when it comes out.

I've been playing nothing bug RPGs lately.  Some wanton destruction is just what the doctor ordered, I think.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2009, 06:08:53 PM »

I have had the game lock up twice since I've gotten it, both times in the middle of very graphics intensive moments. No harm done, after a reboot it's fine and doesn't happen at the same place again. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2009, 06:12:53 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 06, 2009, 05:26:04 PM

LALALALA, I can't hear you!  I need to finish Red Faction before Prototype comes out.  I have no time for this game.  LALALALA... paranoid

You know you're going to give in anyways, so why fight it?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2009, 06:20:40 PM »

I got to play this for about 45 minutes last night.  I did the first career race, an A->B challenge, and got to a vista point, as well as wandering over the landscape.

First off, they weren't kidding about the size, damn place is massive beyond belief.  As I wandered, I found farms with tractors, accident sites (including a big rig jacknifed across the road), and construction areas.  Definitely not the barren landscape that the IGN review was talking about.

The day/night cycle is pretty short, and I'm not crazy about racing at night.  The headlights don't illuminate much, which is bad if you're trying to traverse a forest.  Almost makes it so I don't want to be exploring at night, which sucks, since night is half the time.  I'm also finding that dawn and dusk are the worst.  It seems like the game is using HDR/bloom, except that the rising/setting sun seems to overwhelm everything, making the landscape almost completely black during those times.  I'm hoping that there's a brightness setting in there somewhere that I can muck with.

The driving controls seem pretty solid so far.  Just arcadey enough that I can go into some nice power slides without too much trouble, but it isn't to the point where you can just lean on the throttle the entire time.  Looking forward to playing some more, but I'm hoping I can do something about the brightness.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2009, 08:13:54 PM »

You can adjust brightness in the options, I had to do so as well.

You're right about the IGN review. Barren? Did that guy really play it?

I agree about the day/night cycle, I wish there was an option to keep it daylight all the time.

Have you raced in the tornado yet? It's cool  nod

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2009, 08:26:52 PM »

I only had time to play for a little bit, and spent most of that free roaming, and only did two actual races.  I totally agree that having the option to keep it daytime always would be much better, since the beauty of the landscape is better appreciated during the day. 

In fact, when I got to my first vista point, I sat around until the sun came up so I could actually see the vista.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2009, 05:29:17 AM »

Got some more time in tonight.  After bumping the brightness up, night is definitely navigable. 

This game is huge beyond belief.  I still can't get over how much land there is.  One of my favorite things about MMOs is exploring and finding interesting things.  This game is basically letting me do that, except at 60mph on a dirt bike, and without mobs attacking.  It's fantastic.

I spent probably two hours tonight, and during that time, I did two races.  The rest of the time was spent driving around, finding various vista points, doppler trucks, and paint jobs for my vehicles.  It's an awesome feeling of freedom to be able to tool around just seeing where the road takes you.

I messed around with the different view options.  For track and rally racing games, I usually go with a dashboard cam, but for offroad games like this, I generally stick with a third person cam so I can have a better sense of what's around me.  At one point, I was on a dirt bike (I love that you can switch vehicles on the fly, btw), barreling through the woods, trying to dodge trees, and I dropped it into first person.  Holy hell, it was like being in the speeder bike chase from Return of the Jedi.  I haven't felt a sense of sheer speed like this in a long time.  Also far more difficult, and not a view I'd really use all the time in that situation, but it's worth trying just to see what it feels like.

Fun side note, there are silos or water tanks in the game that look almost identical to the fuel tanks that you can blow up in Red Faction Guerilla.  When I saw one the first time, my instinct was to hop out of the car and toss a sticky bomb at it.  biggrin

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2009, 12:28:22 PM »

I only had about twenty minutes to play yesterday, so I fired up Fuel and warped to my newly unlocked Redrock Bluffs, which is the Grand Canyon like zone in the southeast part of the map. The canyon is cool (I accidentally fell in eek) and the base camp features a structure like that new tourist attraction the Skywalk, although Fuel's version is a lot bigger and has ramps  icon_biggrin.

I wasn't in the mood to race, so I just headed north towards the desert. I've lived out west in southern Colorado and visited northern New Mexico as well, and the terrain in this area of Fuel does have that same feel of scrub and what seems to be pretty flat, until you start going over it on a dirt bike at speed and it really does dip and peak. And by staying off the roads I came across a number of those four barrel pyramids of fuel.

There are ruins and buildings and little bits of this and that scattered around, mostly near roads which would make sense. The occasional track is narrow and rough, really dirt bike country. 

I have inserted a memory card and I now periodically back up to both the hard drive and the card. Maybe this is belt and suspenders stuff, but after hearing the horror stories of Race Pro where people lost hours and hours of progress due to a corrupt save game, I've decided to do both. It's important to emphasize that no one has reported a problem with Fuel's save games, I'm probably being overly cautious.

I've decided I'm going to stay with Fuel until I unlock everything and then some time in the future I'll go back and restart Red Faction Guerrilla. Right now I just want to ride...

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2009, 12:34:01 PM »

I should note that I installed to the hard drive, and it definitely seems to be helping with the load times.  Love my huge hard drive. 

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2009, 02:53:45 PM »

Yes I installed to the hard drive as well, after playing it at first from the disk and being surprised at the constant reads. Now it's a lot quieter as well. Since we're supposed to be playing on the 360 for another six years  eek I hope they offer larger capacity units sometime, or maybe SSDs cheap enough that it won't require me mortgaging the house.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2009, 03:45:20 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on June 09, 2009, 05:29:17 AM

...At one point, I was on a dirt bike (I love that you can switch vehicles on the fly, btw), barreling through the woods, trying to dodge trees, and I dropped it into first person....

Can you explain this statement to me please?  I'm not sure what you mean exactly.  Do you simply stop the bike, hit a button, pick the dune buggy from a list, and voila' - you are in a new vehicle?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2009, 04:13:48 PM »

Damn it, first Ron posts the review of Prototype and I learn that's a must have, then I read jztemple's impressions knowing that we share a love of driving games and this is on the list as well... and on thursday morning I fly out to spend 5 days in the boonies drinking without any video game consoles...

damn damn damn

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2009, 04:25:04 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on June 09, 2009, 03:45:20 PM

Quote from: Chaz on June 09, 2009, 05:29:17 AM

...At one point, I was on a dirt bike (I love that you can switch vehicles on the fly, btw), barreling through the woods, trying to dodge trees, and I dropped it into first person....

Can you explain this statement to me please?  I'm not sure what you mean exactly.  Do you simply stop the bike, hit a button, pick the dune buggy from a list, and voila' - you are in a new vehicle?

This is exactly what you can do when you're freeriding.  Need to climb a hill? Drop into a vehicle that has good grip, then swap back to the durable one when you jump off the cliff on the other side.  biggrin

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2009, 12:44:26 PM »

After playing last night, I just want to reiterate that this game is BIG.  I unlocked the camp in the zone to the north of the starting zone, and decided to see how long it would take to drive there from where it was, which was a couple miles north of the starter camp. 

40 minutes.  I did a tiny bit of lollygagging as I found interesting things, but not much.  It was especially interesting to see the terrain change as I went, shifting from wooded areas to open grasslands, to a burned out forest after a forest fire (with some fires still burning), so a sandy coastline. 

I know several reviews I've read have knocked the game for the menu-based race selection making the open world exploration irrelevant.  I think that completely misses the point, and is a result of reviewers rushing to finish the review.  It's nice that the feature is there, and allows you to make the game into a pickup and play thing if you want.  But being able to roam around this giant area at will is pure joy.  Plus, by just using the menus, you can't get the various pickups (vistas, paint jobs, vehicles) scattered over the landscape.  Seems like a silly complaint to me.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2009, 12:53:13 PM »

I'm impressed by the terrain as well. While I haven't been playing much, my son has a lot. His favorite thing to do in games like Midnight Club and NFS is to joyride, and Fuel is like Nirvana for people like that. When I did play the other day, I had a blast just picking a point on the horizon and saying "let's go there". We've only unlocked a bit of the map, but what I've seen so far is about as far from featureless or barren as I can imagine. I'm an explorer too, just like Chaz was saying. I could spend all day looking for fuel canisters/vistas/etc. They could make a CaRPG out of this and I'd play it.

BTW, my guess is it wouldn't be worth it for this, but has anyone played with a wheel?
Oh, and for you PS3 folks, if you haven't tried them, you should find yourself some Real Triggers. They rock.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 12:57:54 PM by Misguided » Logged

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2009, 01:03:07 PM »

I haven't hooked up my MS wheel yet, but I'll give it a try later.  I read a few reports saying that the wheel controls are a bit touchy, and there's no force feedback with the MS wheel.  I think I'm going to pick up a set of those triggers if I wind up at Gamestop tonight.  They might make me hate the PS3 controller less.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2009, 01:06:50 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on June 10, 2009, 01:03:07 PM

I haven't hooked up my MS wheel yet, but I'll give it a try later.  I read a few reports saying that the wheel controls are a bit touchy, and there's no force feedback with the MS wheel.  I think I'm going to pick up a set of those triggers if I wind up at Gamestop tonight.  They might make me hate the PS3 controller less.

The triggers really are fantastic, and while I totally get the opinion some people have that they shouldn't have to pay 5 bucks more for an add-on to a 55 dollar product, the fact remains that they make that 55 dollar product vastly superior.

As far as wheels go, I no longer buy racing titles on 360 since I don't like the MS wheel (actually that's quite an understatement). Though, to be honest, I bought a G25 for the PS3 but haven't used it much yet. Hoping to get some work in when Dirt2 comes out.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2009, 05:22:29 PM »

There's a demo for Fuel out on XBL now, if you wish to give it a look. Might still be a good bargain bin purchase.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2009, 04:50:58 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on July 09, 2009, 05:22:29 PM

There's a demo for Fuel out on XBL now, if you wish to give it a look. Might still be a good bargain bin purchase.

Is it a bargain bin game now?  I just played the demo and loved it.  I'm going to get it regardless.  Is the multiplayer any good?
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2009, 10:19:30 AM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on July 10, 2009, 04:50:58 AM

Quote from: jztemple2 on July 09, 2009, 05:22:29 PM

Is it a bargain bin game now?  I just played the demo and loved it.  I'm going to get it regardless.  Is the multiplayer any good?

I was a pretty big fan of the game when it came out, but after putting in a number of enjoyable hours I got frustrated with the campaign progression mechanism. To unlock further zones, which in turn unlock more races, challenges and vehicles, you have to win at the hardest difficulty over dozens of races. The AI is programmed so that in the hard difficulty races one AI driver always seems to run off from the pack and the smallest mistake on your part makes it impossible to catch up. And there is no other way to progress through the game and no way to adjust the AI. I'm sure if you are a decent racer with youthful skills and reaction times this wouldn't be a problem, but for me it's infuriating.

I tried the multiplayer a bit and found it a mixed bag. Lag could be a problem at times, but often things ran smooth. Annoyingly after each race it would dump you into the main lobby and you'd have to go back through the race selection sequence which doesn't take all that long but it is a pain. Sadly, unless you are racing with friends there always seems to be a jerk or two that wants to ram everyone off the road.

Fuel does have it's good points. Unlike say Midnight Club Los Angeles, the variety of courses is very appealing. Some are fairly wide open checkpoint to checkpoint races, some are tightly confined to narrow roads running on cliffsides, others on asphalt blowing along at high speed. The scenery is great and changes a lot from zone to zone. I do have a criticism that there are no place names on the maps so it's hard to remember where you saw that cool building or landscape. The challenges are varied, unusual and with the occasional tornado, fog and snowstorm, can be very entertaining. The vehicles cover a huge range from perky little dirt bikes to "Mad Max" massively overpowered highway warriors. And there is a full day/night cycle, although there aren't any lights at night except for other vehicles headlights and the occasional forest fire  slywink so there's not a lot to see. 

I have a love/hate relationship with the game. If they ever provided a way to unlock everything, even by a paid DLC, I'd be much more over on the love part.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2009, 06:50:53 PM »

Late to the party, but got this from goozex a little while back and finally got around to playing it. This is the game Motorstorm should have been!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2009, 07:19:58 PM »

Yeah, I played the PC version for many hours and still had only done half of the zones.  I only quit playing because I got distracted by other shiny new games but I'd like to get back to it some day.

I do think their method of only rewarding first place was a poor choice and made some races incredibly difficult, but other than that I had a ton of fun with this one.  I'd love to see a sequel that honed what they had here into an even better package.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: