http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 05:35:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frozen Synapse - stunning-looking indie turn-based tactical game  (Read 5577 times)
Huw the Poo
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Please feed dog

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2010, 09:05:49 PM »

Linky including alpha trailer

From the website:

The ultimate tactical game, currently a work-in-progress by UK indie developers Mode 7 Games.

You've patched in to the enemy's security system: get ready to make your plan.

You have full control over your strike team, directing their every movement. At the same time, your opponent is plotting to defeat you. Plan your moves, test them out, then hit the "Execute" button: both you and your enemy's turns are executed simultaneously.

Bite-size, hardcore strategy with a striking sci-fi aesthetic.

Thanks to Rock, Paper Shotgun for the scoop.  As they point out, it borrows from Introversion's aesthetics and is reminiscent of Laser Squad.  It looks gorgeous and I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 11:20:50 PM »

I saw that on RPS. Looks rather awesome... they said Laser Squad Nemesis without the emailing. Nice idea, IYAM.

Very little info out on it though, and they say release is later this year. Indie games are starting to be where it is at!

SoM
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 11:22:17 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on January 19, 2010, 11:20:50 PM

Indie games are starting to be where it is at!

Yeah, the last year and a half or so has been astonishing for the indie gaming scene.  I spend as much time on little gems like this and, say, AI War as I do on AAA games.  Long may it continue!

Steam profile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 04:35:29 AM »

Interesting developer name. Makes me wonder how the graphics will look. biggrin

(for those who don't get it, Mode 7 was the scaling/rotating feature that the SNES had)

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 07:43:41 AM »

I'm piqued but not as interested as I thought i'd be when I saw the Lasersquad reference smile I want an isometric view on a top down view - if they change that I may be in. Keep us posted smile

** watched the video a couple more times and I think i'm in - just keep me posted ** smile
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 07:52:39 AM by Tals » Logged

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 06:42:04 PM »

I thought it looked promising - especially after viewing the YouTube videos. The graphics as they are now, don't do too much for me but I imagine as this is an Alpha (correct?) stage look, they've a long way to go. Of course, the real test is what we can actually do: what tactics can we employ, what weapons can we fire, how the AI works, etc. It sounds promising; I'd like to see what other concepts will make it into the final game. This is a game that bears watching!

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 08:37:50 PM »

I think the game's in beta now but the trailer is from an alpha build.  I think Frozen Synapse has the potential to be a fantastic little indie game; let's just hope it is!

Steam profile
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 10:42:57 PM »

I think the graphics are going to stay similar, but that some "placeholder" graphics are going to change a tad. The idea, I think, was something like Introversion does but with more tactical depth.

Will keep my eyes open, I signed up for the email newsletter.

Bael
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 11:02:46 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on January 20, 2010, 10:42:57 PM

The idea, I think, was something like Introversion does but with more tactical depth.

That's the draw, for me.  And I love turn-based tactical games with simultaneous turns anyway, ever since I first played games like RoboSport on the Amiga.

Steam profile
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 05:38:01 PM »

Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frozen-Synapse/297858703892?ref=ts&v=wall

Currently has 53 fans - they are settings as a challenge to beat Ruse - currently 3500 fans

They are also giving away some tracks from the game

http://www.frozensynapse.com/FrozenSynapseMusicBundle.zip

They also want people to join their mailing list to see more stuff smile

http://www.moddb.com/games/frozen-synapse

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 05:43:34 PM »

I don't know about stunning looking but it could be fun.  It looks like the planning map stage from Rainbow 6.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 05:45:01 PM »

I can't wait for it.  I'm thinking of asking whether they need any more beta testers actually.

Steam profile
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 05:47:31 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 19, 2010, 05:45:01 PM

I can't wait for it.  I'm thinking of asking whether they need any more beta testers actually.

I'd love to test this game as well

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 07:08:17 PM »

Just heard back from the dev.  They don't need any more beta-testers right now, but if you're on the mailing list you'll be notified when the pre-orders are ready.  Pre-orders get you into the beta.

Steam profile
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 09:08:18 PM »

New gameplay video up - starting to look good!

http://www.moddb.com/games/frozen-synapse/videos/new-synapse

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 09:16:16 PM »

Hmmm....multiplayer first, and single player to follow?  Not sure I like that (though I'm sure it's right up your street Tals slywink).  Still, yeah it is looking good and I'm still in.

Steam profile
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 09:35:14 PM »

That's too bad, I guess I'm out.  That makes me very sad.  frown

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 10:15:10 PM »

Yup, too bad. I am one of those 'looking at it for the single player' Luddites as well.  icon_lol

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 10:36:08 PM »

I would imagine that you could PBEM.  I hope so anyway.  For me, that would make kicking Tals's arse multiplayer much more palatable.

Edit: What am I talking about?  It's simultaneous turns, not PBEM.  Dur.  retard
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 11:20:22 PM by Huw the Poo » Logged

Steam profile
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 07:09:15 PM »

Missed all that smile

Anyway

Rumour confirmation: if you pre-order Frozen Synapse, you will immediately get on the beta. Pre-order release date to be announced shortly...

Likely to preorder here when it's announced

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 07:48:25 PM »

Meh.  As much as I'm looking forward to the game, I hate all this pre-order to get into beta crap.  Proper beta testing is supposed to be a help to the developer.  If anything, we should be paid to beta test, not pay.

I suppose betas are commonly used as demos these days.  I might pre-order if it means a discount, but I won't be taking part in the beta.  Same goes for Elemental.

Steam profile
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 08:11:31 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 30, 2010, 07:48:25 PM

Meh.  As much as I'm looking forward to the game, I hate all this pre-order to get into beta crap.  Proper beta testing is supposed to be a help to the developer.  If anything, we should be paid to beta test, not pay.

I suppose betas are commonly used as demos these days.  I might pre-order if it means a discount, but I won't be taking part in the beta.  Same goes for Elemental.

I couldn't disagree more. Beta is the most exciting part of any game's life cycle. I love to see rapid changes, additions, and improvements especially when the game is enjoyable to begin with. Its gratifying to see a new feature that you suggested or contributed to. And the best part of it all is the tight knit community that develops around something like this.

Of course it all hinges on the game being enjoyable from the start. The Din's Curse beta, Minecraft beta, EQ beta (man that one was so long ago they mailed me a CD!), and Champion's Online betas have been some of the best gaming experiences of my life. I swear I get more excited about beta news for Minecraft than I ever had for another game's release. There have been plenty of exceptions though. You're definitely not missing much with the Elemental beta, but its not feature-complete so its not really supposed to be a game just yet.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 08:15:33 PM »

Quote from: Aganazer on March 30, 2010, 08:11:31 PM

I couldn't disagree more. Beta is the most exciting part of any game's life cycle. I love to see rapid changes, additions, and improvements especially when the game is enjoyable to begin with. Its gratifying to see a new feature that you suggested or contributed to. And the best part of it all is the tight knit community that develops around something like this.

No, I do enjoy that.  I merely object to being charged money to do it.  I've happily helped out many a developer squash pre-launch bugs, but if any of them had asked for my cash first I'd have laughed at them.

Steam profile
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 08:23:06 PM »

I am in the camp that doesn't think beta should ever cost money.  It's a service for the company making the game and they should want the help.  I should not have to pay to help them make the game more successful, that's just backwards.  People should either be paid for beta (which can't happen on a large scale) or it should be free.  Charging for beta really comes across as using the beta as a marketing ploy which is a bit dishonest in my eyes.
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 04:32:34 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 30, 2010, 08:15:33 PM

I merely object to being charged money to do it.

I don't mind paying for anything that I enjoy, but don't tell my wife that!  icon_twisted
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 04:33:58 PM »

Heh.  Well played!

Steam profile
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 07:49:50 AM »

No single player=no purchase

Too bad, as it looks sweet.
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 12:59:24 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on April 01, 2010, 07:49:50 AM

No single player=no purchase

Too bad, as it looks sweet.

It says "Single & Multiplayer" on the web site. I think that is multiplayer only for the first beta phase.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2010, 06:07:42 PM »

Sounds great and a free game on release as well for preorders - neat trick

Just a quick note to say that you will be able pre-order Frozen Synapse on Monday 19th April.

There is a chance that we may be able to release the pre-order to the existing community (that's you!) a little earlier - if that's possible I'll send you a mail ASAP.

We're also announcing the fact that you'll get a FREE copy of the game to give to a friend with every pre-order: that means that you're guaranteed to get a game as soon as you start playing.

Prices will be announced on the day (sorry for the suspense), and you'll be able to get the game direct from us at http://www.frozensynapse.com

There is going to be a tutorial (as well as hopefully a new tutorial vid) available to start you off.  There will be documentation and experienced beta testers around to help you when you start playing.

Here's the feature-list for the current beta...

CURRENT BETA STATUS (12/04/2010)...
# Multiplayer: all modes (Hostage, Secure, Disputed, Extermination) are gameplay-complete and functional
# Single player: Puzzle and Skirmish are functional; Campaign is not included
# Community features: Feed, rating and comments, basic rankings and Instant Matchmaking are available
# YouTube export is functional
# UI has been through one intensive testing phase and is fully functional
# Audio is functional but basic
# Facebook and Twitter integration are not included
# A basic interactive tutorial and tutorial video ARE included
# In-game IRC chat!

Also, for those people who asked, we will have both "I can see where enemies are all the time" (Light) modes and "I need line-of-sight to see an enemy" (Dark) modes available in this version.

We're still on course for a full release around the end of this year, and there are quite a few features to be added.  However, the game is GREAT fun to play right now and we're hoping that you'll support us by pre-ordering and help us to maximise the potential we believe this game has.

If it's ok, I'll drop you a quick mail to let you know when the pre-order is actually out.

Hope to see you in-game soon!

If you want to ask me any questions about the pre-order, just reply to this mail.

Remember to check out http://www.frozensynapse.com next Monday for all the info you'll need on how to pre-order.

Thanks,

Paul Taylor

Mode 7 Games

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2010, 06:32:11 PM »

So there will be single player on release after all apparently.  Good.

Steam profile
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »

I saw that note about campaign play too, and was happy.  May be back in on this.

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2010, 08:45:39 AM »

Preorder is up 16.99 and $26 I think they have priced high...thoughts?

http://www.frozensynapse.com/synapsePreorder.html

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2010, 11:48:19 AM »

Just realised that this is a pbem style system where you don't need to be online at the same time as the other play - instant purchase for me. Not sure on the NDA. I'll post as much as allowed when I have tried it smile

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2010, 12:08:25 PM »

Yeah that does sound a little pricey to me to be honest.  I'm also a bit miffed it might not even be released until next year.  Still, please do post your impressions as and when, Tals!

Steam profile
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2010, 12:18:41 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 19, 2010, 12:08:25 PM

Yeah that does sound a little pricey to me to be honest.  I'm also a bit miffed it might not even be released until next year.  Still, please do post your impressions as and when, Tals!

It is on the pricey side but there arn't many of this type hence my purchase and under 20 is not huge tbh. I'll also have that spare copy on release

This walk thru of a typical game does whet the appetite as well smile

http://forums.mode7games.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1707

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2010, 01:19:01 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 19, 2010, 12:08:25 PM

Huw I know you arn't into beta's that much - but we have had some fun games smile The friends key is available immediately - would you like mine? Only condition is you have to play some games with me smile

http://forums.mode7games.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1707

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2010, 03:08:24 PM »

This is where I come to tease Tals about not knowing how to access his free key slywink  Cyberstalkers HO!
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2010, 04:41:25 PM »

Hehe I'm quite pleased it's available so soon, very good call from the dev. I'm sure it will all be clear when I run it smile

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2010, 05:48:35 PM »

Tals, thanks for the very kind offer, but I'm not sure I'd be a good opponent for you right now.  Give it to someone who can spare more time to play. smile

Steam profile
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2010, 06:09:06 PM »

Are they splitting brits from yanks like the LoL stuff? I'll probably get a copy, I know a friend who LOVED Laser Squad Nemesis and I think this would be the ticket for him!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: