http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 12:41:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frontlines: Fuel of War Demo [XBLM]  (Read 1831 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2007, 04:20:17 PM »

I was surprised to find the Frontlines demo on Marketplace this morning.  I believe it comes in at 1.7 gigs!  Just finished DLing, so I'll give it a go soon.

Isn't Burnout Paradise due today, too?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 04:23:57 PM »

Why have I never heard of this game?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 04:50:40 PM »

Wow, this is pretty good. 

The opening cinema sets up a rich backstory in a chillingly believable way.  In the first cutscene, the leader of the squad starts a little too intense and then has nowhere to go but shouting more.  Overall, though, it seems above average, story-wise.

Graphically, it looks pretty good.  Not as smooth as COD4, but next-gen, certainly.

As far as gameplay goes, it's typical push-forward-to-the-next-objective fair, but it's hard.  I died twice making it to the first objective.  And they limit your redeploys (you get 9, I believe).

I've had the impression from the videos, that there is a strategic element to this, and so far I haven't seen it, though I didn't get a chance to finish the demo level yet.  There do seem to be plenty of avenues of attack available to you: alleys, cover, rooftops with ladders aplenty.  It also seemed there would be other vehicles.  So far I've seen a tank, but haven't used one yet.

The environment seems to be very destructable.  I fired a grenade launcer at a guy on a roof, and a big section of wall fell off, right where he was standing.  Very cool looking.

Really, the only issue I have so far is that I have to remember that the left trigger doesn't bring up my sight but it does throw a grenade.  Pretty impressed so far.  It's very polished for a demo.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 04:57:30 PM »

Sonuva bitch, I forgot about this Silver restriction. I'll probably have forgotten the demo a week from now... Lame  icon_confused

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 05:12:39 PM »

Well, the demo cuts you off before you complete the second stage of the objective, but you do get to drive a tank.  A little unweildy, but fun.  I got blown up a little too quickly for my tastes.

The reason for the name of the game becomes clear as you play.  Each objective that gets taken over pushes the frontline forward.  It does not appear that the enemies push the frontline back.  At least, not in single player.

They do proudly mention that there will be 32 player MP.  I get the impression that MP will be pretty damn great, in a Battlefield kind of way, but not so much about zone control as trying to keep pushing the frontline forward.  Might be enough to make this fresh.  The gadgets and vehicles might do a lot toward that end, too.  Time will tell.

This has definitely moved onto my list.  I look forward to the release.  Anyone know when that is?

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 05:14:30 PM »

thanks for the heads up Bull,i'll download it tonight hopefully(unless its U.S. only..Grrr)

okay played this but i didnt have a lot of time with it

first i was dissapointed that it was another FPS...for some reason i was believing that this was a clone of Mercenaries...not sure where i got that from....but it is still a pretty good demo,and i agree with the background story being pretty cool.....gonna give it a proper go tomorrow when i have more time
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 09:36:07 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 10:42:30 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 12, 2007, 05:14:30 PM

thanks for the heads up Bull,i'll download it tonight hopefully(unless its U.S. only..Grrr)

okay played this but i didnt have a lot of time with it

first i was dissapointed that it was another FPS...for some reason i was believing that this was a clone of Mercenaries...not sure where i got that from....but it is still a pretty good demo,and i agree with the background story being pretty cool.....gonna give it a proper go tomorrow when i have more time

And I thought it was more strategy based.  I was a little surprised that it was a(n) FPS myself.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 10:52:36 PM »

Not sure about the single player portion of the game, but the MP does sound like it has a lot of potential.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 04:37:56 AM »

I really want to try this, I just don't think I will have time until tomorrow at the earliest.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 06:26:14 PM »

Frame rates were too inconsistent in the demo.  I didn't like the graphics much.  Enemy AI was pretty messed up too.

The video in the end mentions lots of vehicles and devices, that could potentially be fun in MP.  I actually thought this might be an Endwar type RTS rather than a FPS.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 01:58:38 PM »

got around to trying out the demo and i was really impressed.   thought the graphics were very nice and the destructible environments were cool.   played it on normal and it was a decent challenge.....died a couple times.   the story seems like it might be really engaging, looking forward to how that pans out.

also really like the drons you can use.   picked up some type of miniature helicopter that fires off really powerful missiles.   destroyed a couple guard towers with them.

also interested to see how the mp will work.   seems like it may have that Battlefield type of gameplay worked in there.   

this one is definitely on the top of my Gamefly queue when it releases.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 10:00:01 PM »

Quote from: skystride on December 13, 2007, 06:26:14 PM

Frame rates were too inconsistent in the demo.  I didn't like the graphics much.  Enemy AI was pretty messed up too.

The video in the end mentions lots of vehicles and devices, that could potentially be fun in MP.  I actually thought this might be an Endwar type RTS rather than a FPS.

I didn't see any framerate issues at all. 

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 10:55:36 PM »

Grr..still have not had time to try this frown
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 11:59:32 PM »

Tried it, got tired quickly, and deleted it.  I think I am sooooo over FPS's.  I much prefer to actually see my game character.  I am officially a  3rd-person gamer. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 02:23:56 AM »

Some interesting videos up now for this.  Also news that there will be a mp demo out next year.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 11:53:18 PM »

I'm on the verge of throwing up.  This game just made me nauseous, I'm going to puke.  It looked pretty, I wonder if it would give me the same feeling if I had played this in a non-hdtv.  I'm really hoping this isn't the effect of having the HDTV, because that would suck. 
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 06:14:25 AM »

I'd guess that it is this game in particular.  The movement/camera seemed a bit off when I played the demo.  I don't remember it making me nauseous, but it has been a couple weeks since I played it.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 04:46:20 PM »

The MP demo for the game is up on the marketplace.  Downloading it and going to try it out before too long.

Dedicated servers so 32 players.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 07:10:29 PM »

Not bad.  A slight learning curve but not bad at all and has some potential me thinks.  I might actually pick this game up release day

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 04:07:59 AM »

I played a full game of the MP demo tonight.  What a mess!  Especially compared to the smoothness of the SP demo.  Of course, it could all be attributed to Live problems or general lag, but there was clipping galore, it took forever to actually get into a vehicle (to the point where I would click X again, but that would boot me out of the vehicle several seconds after getting in).  Some kills, I'd be right behind the guy firing into the base of his skull and he'd just stand there, but then I'd be holding X to convert a communications station and get killed immediately (you can't really run away once you've started the communications conversion, either).  There was even a time when my tank got destroyed in one kill.  I can't confirm it, but I don't think the guy who blew me up had a rocket launcher, either.

Fortunately, I'm more interested in the SP game, but I can only hope these massive problems were specific to my game only or that they pull some major overhaul before the title releases next month.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 09:46:31 AM »

Didn't run into any major problems while playing.  Some minor lag here and there, but we were also playing peer to peer as opposed to the dedicated servers.

There are C4 charges that can be used to obiliterate tanks if you can get close enough.  There are also landmines that can kill tanks in one shot.

Just letting go of X should stop you taking a capture point.  I know I had a guy do that to me while I was trying to sneak up on him.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 10:24:13 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on February 12, 2008, 09:46:31 AM

Didn't run into any major problems while playing.  Some minor lag here and there, but we were also playing peer to peer as opposed to the dedicated servers.

There are C4 charges that can be used to obiliterate tanks if you can get close enough.  There are also landmines that can kill tanks in one shot.

Just letting go of X should stop you taking a capture point.  I know I had a guy do that to me while I was trying to sneak up on him.

Same with Jarrod, no major problems, in fact in ran pretty smooth.  The only problems I came across was Papasmurff and Jarrod shooting me in the face too many times.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 10:56:22 AM »

Hey, not my fault you kept leaping in front of the bullets!  Also, see exhibit B of you rolling over us in various vehicles again and again.   ninja2

Watched an interview on gametrailers, realized that we have not been using the drone spec to its potential.  The recon drone being up is what relays the really good enemy location info.

Going to have to experiment with that later today.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 11:15:27 AM »

I need to try this.  All I've really seen are ads in magazines, but they look really nice.

I have a few questions though:

1) Can you set up squads before you enter the main battle?  Is there a "setup" room - like in Chromehounds?
2) Can you join specific squads (where your friends are) during a battle?
3) Are squads limited to 4 people in regards to voice comms?  (not sure where I read that)
4) Is there some type of World Domination map that each game contributes to, like in Chromehounds?
5) Do you recommend trying the sp demo first, then the mp demo in order to learn the game, or just jumping into the mp demo?

« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 01:01:43 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 05:09:09 PM »

Glad to hear the problems may have been specific to my session.

For example, I did try to stop pushing X and the game wouldn't let me.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 10:23:12 PM »

lockdown - about the squad issues:

from what i could tell no you cant set up squads pre-game - however if you were in a squad at the end of one game, youll be in that same squad at the start of the next game.  and yes it looks like there is only voice comm between 4 people at once, and yes you can freely form squads with your friends.  i hope there is a "commander" function that can talk to all squad leaders, who then relay that info to their squadmates - that would be GREAT but i dont see anything like that.  also no clue about the domination map similar to chromehounds, but my gut says no, it doesnt look like it.

id say jump right into mp - the single player was actually pretty fun but get on and in with the multi.  i had a ton of fun with the game last night.  i think its a bit ugly (in multi - single is better) but its also a ton of fun so far.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 03:36:06 PM »

I tried this out for about an hour last night.  I liked the multiplayer demo much better than the single player version.  There seems to be a ton of roles to play and gadgets to mess around with.  I think my limted time with the MP demo sold me on the game. Even though I didn't know exactly what I was doing half of the time.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 04:33:37 PM »

So is this game gonna be the new 'thing' now that you guys have had some time to tool with the demo for a bit?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 05:55:25 PM »

Seemed ok except for some lag in the couple of games I played. Pretty much a Battlefield type game.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 06:04:05 AM »

Fun demo...but I am finding more things I really don't like and with all games i really want coming out soon I might just have to pass. 

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2008, 03:42:38 PM »

Depending on what it is that you don't like, it may be fixed/adjusted in the final version of the game.  The demo is not from the gold master apparently.

Doesn't mean the game will magically change, but I would expect improvements.  Not to mention that having a wider selection of maps will most likely give better options to play on.  I watched a couple more gameplay vids and the levels I saw looked pretty interesting.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: