http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 04:21:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Front page: SWG players fleeing the game.  (Read 1836 times)
Arclight
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2005, 02:50:42 PM »

Is this a fact or just a dramatical stance on alot of vets not liking the changes?
I know we can become very zealous for our MMORPG's...but "fleeing" the game?
Really?
Is there subscription numbers to back this?
I suppose one of the hopes of SoE was that they might loose some old-players but gain a bunch of new ones.

How is that working out for them?

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 04:08:19 PM »

Obviously, there's no hard numbers, because SOE won't release them.  However, there are numerous guilds in other games made up of a large portion of ex-SWG players who've left after the NGE.  

Note:  The article is talking about something posted at another site, also.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 04:47:45 PM »

Quote from: "Arclight"
I suppose one of the hopes of SoE was that they might loose some old-players but gain a bunch of new ones.

The problem though is that the game was supported by the vets. Or more accurately put - the stores and shops were all supported by the vets. Remember - all the stuff remotely good is crafted in this game. And who wants to be a crafter when you can be Jedi #2004551?

The cities are like ghost towns now. All empty shells. Nobody in them. Whole servers are like that.

So, yes, all the vets are quitting in droves. And I honestly don't think that all the total n00bs to the game will be enough to keep this game running profitably.

Oh, and incase you're wondering - I said what the hell and tried out the game for a month (never was a subscriber short of the beta period I was in many a year ago). Left just as quickly. Short of the Jump to Lightspeed expansion (which is quite a bit of fun), the rest of the game is an utter train wreck.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 05:02:07 PM »

I have to agree with him on that.  I tried it for a month also.  I couldn't even finish the tutorial because it was so much crap.  Laser fire tracking you as you move, the fact that you move faster than Han freaking Solo.  The sheer concept that Darth Vader is after EVERY CHARACTER in SWG, personally.  

It -was- the Star Wars Experience.  Now, it's a Star Wars Shooter.

It might be good in another 6-8 months when their collission detection goes in, but will there be any players left by then?
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 05:18:52 PM »

When I had heard that SWG was going to a more action oriented, I was actually intrigued.  SWG as it was originally designed was too static and devoid of all the stuff that made the movies interesting.   All six movies weren't about living on the different planets.  It was about a rebellion versus a corrupt government, and laser beams flying in between.  

Of course, the downside is that Star Wars Battlefront II does a pretty good job of giving players an action based game, though it is on a much smaller scale.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 05:45:42 PM »

I am surprised anyone is still playing that mess.  Hell us wanderers went into that game with over a hundred players, I think almost everyone left within a month or 2.  Raph Koster should be shuned from the industry for creating that mess.

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 12:30:33 AM »

I find it funny because I saw the producer of SWG interviewed on Attack of the Show last night.  They asked him about members fleeing in droves and he did a pretty good job trying to deny it.  I wondered why in the hell he was on there and I guess this story points to why.  He basically said that since the games were diiferent kinds of fantasy he felt they could coexist comfortably with WoW.  Of course he said he loves WoW which I thought was a nice touch of honesty.  Apparently he was selling it as "a more traditional RPG experience" than WoW.  The part with him explaining how cool and integral the Obi-Wan addition was (and guess what, they couldn't get him to appear!) was embarrassing to say the least.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 02:37:09 AM »

Rumor has it (no i don't have a good source for this one) that SWG will be shut down at the end of the month.  This is pure unconfirmed rumor.  I'll try to get the guy who told me about it to post more here to see if we can shed any light on it.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 02:49:06 AM »

If they made SWG like Planetside, that would be pretty cool.

Planetside was the coolest game I bought but couldnt get my computer to run.  Then when I fixed the problem, no thanks to their tech support, my trial period was over   :?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 03:05:12 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if it was shut down, then a year or two later a new and improved Star Wars MMOG is released.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 03:47:48 AM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
Rumor has it (no i don't have a good source for this one) that SWG will be shut down at the end of the month.  This is pure unconfirmed rumor.  I'll try to get the guy who told me about it to post more here to see if we can shed any light on it.

You know, considering that SOE fucked over everybody who purchased the Obi-Wan expansion (no, we're not totally redoing the entire combat engine without telling anybody TWO days after we release this digital download only expansion), this wouldn't exactly surprise me anymore. It would be totally insane, but I've come to expect that from this dev team.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
if
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 05:23:31 AM »

if I had to guess, I'd think they may shut it down , tweak it some more and then release it for consoles

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2005, 11:07:25 AM »

Does SoE have a lock on the Star Wars title?

Because like SWG or not, I would love Star Wars MMORPG to make another return to the scene some day...

I also would love a Pioneer\Cowboy-Western  MMORPG but that's another story. :wink:

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2005, 01:31:17 PM »

Yet another rumor.

It seemed like there were a lot of things that the NGE broke. Crafting was no longer needed since you could typically find a drop that was just as good. Jedi was introduced as a starter archtype, huge mistake. Especially given the timeline when there weren't supposed to be many Jedi around. Shrinking the profession class from 30 down to something like 9. Removing player bounties. There was so much good that just needed refined but SOE decided to just sweep everything off the table and make a payable Battlegrounds.

I had considered going to Galaxies as my first MMO but first didn't because it was still pretty buggy and now because it's been dumbed down. As such, I won't be looking at this franchise again until Sony gets their idiot hands off it. Which might be the case pretty soon if the mass exodus rumors are true.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2005, 01:42:54 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Wonser"

I call bullshit on this 'design document'. Especially once I read the part where they want 10 MILLION subscribers out of SWG v2, or whatever they're gonna call it.

And from the link:
My guess is some kid wrote down his ideas for a good SW game and is trying to pass it off as one of these rumors.

That's more than likely what this mess is.

Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2005, 02:49:56 PM »

Quote from: "tcweidner"
Hell us wanderers went into that game with over a hundred players, I think almost everyone left within a month or 2.

I stayed for 3! (but then again it was my first MMO and I've got a high tolerance level)

Quote from: "Turtle"
I wouldn't be surprised if it was shut down, then a year or two later a new and improved Star Wars MMOG is released

I'd agree with you here Turtle, but I'd say it's more like 3 years. If the game is going to compete again, it's got to be completely redone, including the graphic engine.

Regardless of whether it's 1 or 2 or 3 years, the question is when it is released, will anyone care? They missed out on a huge opportunity to snag folks with the movies coming out, and unless Lucas has changed his mind and is going to make episodes 7-9, the free publicity from the movies will be long gone.

On top of it all, games like Battlefront II are satisfying the action Star Wars fans (at least that's what I've read), so all you have left are really the folks who've already played SWG, and you're not going to have a lot of folks from *that* crowd.

They'd really, really have to do something special to make a new SWG successful. Either that or hand the reins over to someone other than SOE.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2005, 06:48:48 PM »

I planned SWG at lunch for about 4 months. I had some fun but eventually found there really wasn't much that interesting to do like everyone else.

It just missed a compelling reason to continue playing. I am glad they tried to fix the combat part (which was terrible) but I agree that Battlefront II does combat better than SWG could ever do.

No sale. Not coming back.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2005, 12:47:42 AM »

I'm actually interested that they did try and change it around. I was hyped for game when it was initially annouced. Then after reviews and player descriptions of the game started coming out it was a turn off (as it looks like more than one poster here seems to see). So I was actually excited to see them trying to bring a bit of life to a game that pretty much sounded like couldn't get any new blood in it to maintain it.

So I gotta say they have guts for doing this to try and make the game most people were expecting. From someone who had lost any interest in the game this revived it. Unfortuantly it sounds like they mucked it up so I've again lost interest (whoops!).

So instead of dieing a slow death, which probably was financially bad for the company, it may die a well deserved quick death.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: