http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 03:44:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Front Mission DS Impressions (?)  (Read 796 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2007, 01:27:52 PM »

There's been a bit of buzz around this title, and I'm interested in it. Anyone have it or play it yet?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 07:08:39 PM »

I want to...but damn it the DS makes my neck hurt and I have too much to play.  I'll end up buying it anyway...uh...cuz I'm stupid.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 07:18:11 PM »

They made a Front Mission DS game?  eek

*digs around to look up more information on it*

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 07:26:01 PM »

Although it's UK site, I highly recommend Pocket Gamer (which only covers handhelds and mobile phone games):
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/

They had a hands-on back in July:
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/DS/Front+Mission+DS/news.asp?c=3684&srch=Front+Mission

fwiw, this isn't a remake of the Playstation games (I loved Front Mission 3); this is a remake of the mid 1980s Super NES version. Like most Front Mission games, you customize Wanzers to a faretheewell.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 07:26:46 PM »

I'm still pissed we didn't get Front Mission 5 over here.  Looked pretty damn awesome. 
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 08:14:02 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 24, 2007, 07:26:46 PM

I'm still pissed we didn't get Front Mission 5 over here.  Looked pretty damn awesome. 

Ditto that. While I eventually learned to enjoy FM4 once I got used to the "feel" of it compared to FM3, it really sounded like FM5 was the game I had hoped 4 would be. Big disappointment it failed to arrive on this side of the Pacific!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 10:38:17 PM »

Not overly impressed by the game after my initial sit down. I do need to more time into it though, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Music is horrible and you can't turn it off. Graphics are decent but nothing special for battles, but I despise the character portraits. Although the menu artwork is quite good. The font for Wanzer/pilot info is really bad and hard to read at times.

My complaint so far are the controls. Everything is too small to use with the stylus for me. Moving the cursor with the D-pad just feels weird though, I often have to work at getting the cursor where I want it. The problem is the cursor controls as if you are using a mouse, so there is a little bit of float as you move it trying to select a tile on the map. I would rather press up once and it would move a movement box to the next tile up and so on like in every other game. I also had issues with selecting units and in my first 2 battles ended up ending a units turn when I was just trying to make a different unit active.

Mech building looks neat, but there is going to be a learning curve to getting the ins and outs down for it. Looking forward to playing around with it more.

The tutorial was very basic, and there isn't an in game help system, so I need to sit down with the manual and figure out everything.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 12:24:21 AM »

Ok, played a bit more and read the manual.

Getting used to the controls, still don't like them much, but I am getting around the battle field for the most part. Still don't know why I wasn't able to attack with long range weapons a couple of times when the enemy was in range. I am also not sure how initiative works other than that short range guns act before melee attacks.

Spent a lot more time messing around in the store and outfitting my Wanzers (I really hate that name, I will just call them mechs). That part is a lot of fun. So far it looks like there are lots of parts to try, and it's fun trying to get everything you want on a mech and make it all work. You have a power to weight ratio that limits you on what you can use, and you can swap out arms, legs, torso, computers, shields, etc. For weapons you have melee, short range guns, and long range guns. Short range and melee you both have to be one square away and usually have unlimited ammo it seems. Long range weapons so far seem to have enough ammo for 2-4 shots.

I can see it being really addicting building up your pilots and getting that perfect mech. So despite the controls, so far I am liking what I see. I do wish there were random battles, but so far there doesn't appear to be any. There is an arena, but it's kind of silly. One on one with no movement, you just exchange weapon fire.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 12:33:56 AM by Lee » Logged
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 02:37:09 AM »

Quote from: Lee on October 25, 2007, 12:24:21 AM

Ok, played a bit more and read the manual.

Spent a lot more time messing around in the store and outfitting my Wanzers (I really hate that name, I will just call them mechs). That part is

I hate the name "wanzer" also. I keep wanted to read it as "wanker", as in "You bloody WANKER!"

I'm enjoying the game so far, but I agree that there is something slightly off with using the d pad for movement.
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 05:42:22 AM »

+1 to Wanker.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 10:09:54 AM »

I think Wander Panzer would be a little better.  Why did they go with the German anyways?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: