http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 04:55:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Front Mission 4 combat  (Read 1194 times)
marcain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2004, 08:35:06 PM »

Great game.  Anyone else playing this?

All of the pilots seem as though they're geared for a specific wanzer so I have a melee, missiler, sniper and repair guy.  But now that I have a wider selection of wanzers to choose from, I ended up dropping my melee wanzer for a wanzer with a canon.  Unfortunately the pilot isn't very skilled with the gun and the only weapon upgrade skill choices I have had so far are for melee skills.  Do pilots only have access to specific skills or can any pilot gain any skill?  I don't think my melee pilot has had the chance to get one skill that would help for the new wanzer I bought...

Do you have to have a special backpack to call for an ammo drop?  Near the end of a few missions, I have been very very close to having no ammo at all.

Anyone playing without a repair guy?  My battles are usually a 50/50 of shooting and repairing.  I usually park him right behind my wanzer who the enemy is currenly working over and keep repairing him until my other wanzers take out the enemy.  I just can't see this game being playable at all without a repair guy.

Are scouts with sensors worth it?  Every time I try to get my scout close enough to something so my missile wanzer can shoot from a distance, the scout gets his ass kicked.  I've been thinking about dropping him for a gunner or something.

Since there are three different types of armor to choose from, is there any way to know before a mission what armor type you should use?  I have all mine set to piercing since most of the wanzers i've faced are gunners/missilers.

My only gripe with combat so far has to do with the linking.  I have my wanzers set up so they're attack linked.  Then what I do, once everyone is in position, is have my canon wanzer shoot at someone.  Then my sniper, who is linked to the canon wanzer, usually takes a linked shot before the canon wanzer pulls the trigger.  What's annoying is that if the sniper takes the enemy wanzer out, the canon wanzer loses his turn without doing anything.

Also, anyone know if the previous front mission games available anywhere?
stiffler
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 09:55:44 PM »

Quote from: "marcain"

Front Mission 3 is available for the PSone.  It's the only other game in the series available in North America.

Good luck finding one, even used, for under $40.  Check out Amazon, where they have a used copy for $33.95.  The new ones range from $71-99.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 09:59:40 PM »

Great game.  Anyone else playing this?

All of the pilots seem as though they're geared for a specific wanzer so I have a melee, missiler, sniper and repair guy.  But now that I have a wider selection of wanzers to choose from, I ended up dropping my melee wanzer for a wanzer with a canon.  Unfortunately the pilot isn't very skilled with the gun and the only weapon upgrade skill choices I have had so far are for melee skills.  Do pilots only have access to specific skills or can any pilot gain any skill?  I don't think my melee pilot has had the chance to get one skill that would help for the new wanzer I bought...

Later in the game you get access to a computer shop where you can purchase skill sets for your pilots.  They're still required to use EP to get the skills but buying them at the computer shop makes them available.

Do you have to have a special backpack to call for an ammo drop?  Near the end of a few missions, I have been very very close to having no ammo at all.

If you have problems with ammo just buy ammo items for item carrying packs.  The packs are lightweight and usually you can make room for them by putting on lightweight arms that aren't holding any weapons.

Anyone playing without a repair guy?  My battles are usually a 50/50 of shooting and repairing.  I usually park him right behind my wanzer who the enemy is currenly working over and keep repairing him until my other wanzers take out the enemy.  I just can't see this game being playable at all without a repair guy.

This would be really really hard.  The other alternative is buying repair items and keeping them in packs.  These can be extremely helpful even if you do have a repair wanzer just in case more than one wanzer is near death.

Are scouts with sensors worth it?  Every time I try to get my scout close enough to something so my missile wanzer can shoot from a distance, the scout gets his ass kicked.  I've been thinking about dropping him for a gunner or something.
This really depends on your style of play and strategy.  One thing to do is make sure the scout has heavy duty parts with as much evasion as possible.  You shuoldn't send him out by himself though.  The other alternative is to get rid of the sensor pack and replace it with an item pack, EMP pack or repair pack.  Then buy him the skills you want him to have in the computer shop.

Since there are three different types of armor to choose from, is there any way to know before a mission what armor type you should use?  I have all mine set to piercing since most of the wanzers i've faced are gunners/missilers.

This is pretty much luck unless you have the strategy guide.  You usually want to try and keep your long range wanzers with pierceing (for rifleman) or blast (for missles, bazookas and rockets).  Melee and short range wanzers should usually have piercing or blunt.

My only gripe with combat so far has to do with the linking.  I have my wanzers set up so they're attack linked.  Then what I do, once everyone is in position, is have my canon wanzer shoot at someone.  Then my sniper, who is linked to the canon wanzer, usually takes a linked shot before the canon wanzer pulls the trigger.  What's annoying is that if the sniper takes the enemy wanzer out, the canon wanzer loses his turn without doing anything.

This again depends on your style of play.  A really good way to set up links is to only have the gunners linked to your melee types.  Then you can attack first with melee then continue to attack with your gunners as needed.  The melee types always have a ton of AP left over for more attacks so they can attack as many times as you need.  If you link everyone to everyone you will waste your melee wanzers AP because one shot will cause everyone else to use their AP.  Make sure you have just ONE link to your rifleman unless he has 18 AP and keep him around that link.

You MIGHT be able to get Front Mission 3 at Gamestop used (call around and look online at gamestop.com ) everything else is pretty much going to be ebay or amazon.

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
marcain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 06:17:54 AM »

I guess I forgot to look in the items menu when the wanzer store became available.  So the repair kits, ammo packs and all other stuff is (good) news to me.  

How is FM3?  I guess it's as good as FM4 or better since it's in such high demand...
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 02:19:28 AM »

Unfortunately I've never played it.  But diehards I know like FM3 better than 4.

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: