http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 07:49:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Who Do You Think Is Winning This Generation
PS3 - 6 (8%)
Wii - 14 (18.7%)
Xbox 360 - 55 (73.3%)
Total Voters: 75

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: From Your Personal Perspective, Who is Winning This Generation of Consoles?  (Read 2464 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2009, 01:52:26 AM »

Regardless of sales and 'innovation' which console do you think is winning this generation...based on your experiences?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 02:10:03 AM »

From a strictly personal perspective, I far prefer the 360.  I own all three consoles, and all have their place, and I don't dislike playing games on any one of them. 

However, the 360 just feels more like home.  I absolutely like the 360 controller the best, with the Wii controller coming in second.  I've never liked the button designators of the Playstation controller, and the PS3 controller just feels flimsy and cheap compared to the rock solid 360 controller.  But the way that they've gotten the Gamertag and Friends system set up makes it feel like a community.  Even though I rarely play multiplayer, I always check my friends list to see who's on, what they're playing, and even what they're doing in each game.  For example, I know that a bunch of guys from work have been playing NHL 10 together for the past week.  I know when everyone and their brother was playing Batman, and it was a good feeling to see a bunch of people playing Beatles Rock Band.  While the PS3 has a similar functionality, they don't present it nearly as cleanly as the 360 does, so it's less effective.

I hate to say this, but Achievements mean something to me.  It's dumb, and I never go out of my way to get them, but it's a nice feeling to see the popup, and know that the points that I earned go toward a persistent score that stays with me.  It's a little bit of permanence in a hobby that's almost defined by the cult of the new hotness, and that's nice.  It's also neat to be able to compare progress with my friends, and fosters a little bit of casual competition. 

I use my Wii rarely, but certainly enjoy the games I play on it.  The PS3 gets used a lot more frequently than the Wii, but that's usually to watch movies or stream Hulu to the TV.  Prior to Batman, which I played on the PS3 for the Joker content, I can't remember the last game I played on it.   It comes down to I buy multi platform games on the 360 unless there's a compelling reason not to, and there frequently isn't.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 02:18:17 AM »

MS.

Same as last gen for me.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 02:31:47 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on September 22, 2009, 01:52:26 AM

Regardless of sales and 'innovation' which console do you think is winning this generation...based on your experiences?

The gamers?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 02:57:30 AM »

Quote from: warning on September 22, 2009, 02:31:47 AM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on September 22, 2009, 01:52:26 AM

The gamers?

Good answer.  I'd actually argue that all three have been somewhat underwhelming, but that's more just my personal preference.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 02:59:42 AM »

define "winning"

I own all 3.

I play my 360 the most and own a ton of games on my 360 and very few on the other two.
The wii is kicking ass in sales and profit.
The PS3 umm... is a kickass Blu-Ray player with some stellar exclusives.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 03:05:32 AM »

Hmm probably the 360.  I have the 360 and the PS3 and I like the PS3 more, I think it's 10 x more slick, and I think the sound on PS3 games is much better.  I enjoy both controllers.  The online component for MS is a total no brainer though.  I am more likely to buy a SP only game on the PS3 these days, provided they are the same quality.  MP games like COD is all 360 for me though.

From a value perspective I think the PS3 is leaps and bounds ahead of the 360.  You get so much more for your money.

I don't have the Wii, although there are a lot of Wii games I would like to play. 

Overall MS has made great strides this generation.  I'm loving having both and can't wait for the next round of consoles, with everyone (hopefully) learning from their mistakes this round.  I just hope that Sony and MS don't drop down to Nintendo's level.  I still want whizz-bang fancy consoles and controllers with lots of buttons.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 03:09:04 AM »

I own all 3 consoles and both handhelds.

I spend around 95% of my gaming time on the 360.

No contest for me.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 03:52:54 AM »

360.  The Wii has more marketshare, obviously, but the 360 is hands down the winner when it comes to self-identified "gamers".
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 04:03:06 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on September 22, 2009, 03:09:04 AM

No contest for me.

I own all 5 too, and I definitely play the 360 the most... probably about 85% of the time.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 04:21:30 AM »

1) people who post polls like this should be obligated to answer their own question smile ...

2) i'm not sure i understand what your asking. i mean, sony's won me this generation (surprise!), but as far as who i personally feel is winning this generation itself, is sorta like asking 'from your personal perspective, who's winning this ballgame?' - obviously, it's the team that's scored the most runs up till now (which, in this case, would be the wii - along with the curse of 'motion control'), no matter which team i personally support...

which, for some reason, reminds me of that bit where your team's down by six runs in your half of the ninth, & your manager says 'okay, guys - we got'm right where we want'm!'... which really doesn't have anything to do with this, actually...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 04:24:19 AM »

Obviously it depends on how you define winning (financially no content the DS/Wii takes that one), but as far as overall satisfaction with the systems...

I love all three, and my DS.  The only system that has really disappointed me (and it's really just been over the last year) has been the PSP.  With the exception of Patapon 2, there has been nothing of note released on the PSP for a very, very long time.   GT has turned out to be a complete turd.  At this point LittleBigPlanet could breathe some life to the system, but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

I'd have a hard time picking between the 360/Wii/PS3.   I definitely spend more time playing the 360 and the PS3 compared to the Wii, but there's been some great games on the Wii that I couldn't have experienced on the other consoles.   I have a hard time playing the 360 anymore, due to the extreme fan/drive noises (20GB HD so installations are tough) and the fact I've had 2 RROD already.   PS3 has some killer exclusives like Uncharted 2, but man their networking/chat blows.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 04:32:44 AM »

my vote goes to the 360...great graphics, great games, and by far the best online capabilities in the business.  i own both a 360 and a PS3, but i find myself playing the 360 much more.  i've purchased far more games for my 360 and it's almost always my console-of-choice for multiplatform releases due the vastly better online implementation and controller that feels much more comfortable in my hands.  i love my PS3 as a BluRay player, and there have been a few great exclusives (MGS4, Uncharted), but i just don't feel myself drawn to the platform in nearly the same way as the 360.  i think it speaks to the quality of Microsoft's offerings that i'm still dedicated to the platform despite being on my third console (which they've always repaired for free, even outside of warranty).

as for the Wii, something is obviously missing from that platform given that it's hugely popular but Nintendo has done nothing to give me even the slightest interest in jumping on the bandwagon...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 05:30:21 AM »

I adore the 360, and if it wasn't for the hardware issues it would win by a landslide. However, being paranoid I tend to buy most of my multi-platform releases on the PS3. And considering that I find the 360 controller to be far superior to the PS3 controller, that is something of a tragedy.

For software (games and Live), I think MS has the edge this generation. For hardware, it is quite obvious that the PS3 is vastly superior to the Xbox 360. Quieter, more reliable, integrated wireless, Blu ray, etc. Its obvious that Sony is a hardware company.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 06:37:22 AM »

I picked 360. I spend pretty close to 100% of my gaming time on it.

When a PS3 exclusive is out that I want to play that percentage shifts, but only until the game is done.

I haven't played a handheld in all of 2009.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 07:00:29 AM »

This is a somewhat pointless topic. I think most here will say the 360 is their primary and favorite platform. I don't think this is necessarily because the 360 is a better platform, but because it was first. Considering that we're all gamers here, most of us are somewhere along the cutting edge of consoles. With the 360 having had an advantage with being first on the market and most supported for its entire lifetime, it has traditionally been the go-to console for enthusiasts. Add in Achievements, and you'll find yourself locked in on the first platform you bought, which for most here will be the 360.

As for myself, I don't have a 360 and don't feel any need to get one. The PS3 combined with a PC lets me play almost any game I want, including so-called 360 exclusives (which usually end up on the PC). The trophies keep me locked to the PS3 as well, making the transition to a different platform harsh. I suspect that if I were to get a 360, it would sit there gathering dust. All this is because I got the PS3 first. Were it the other way around, I would probably be a supporter of the 360.

So, as I said, this thread is somewhat pointless. You might as well change the question in the original post to ask "which console of the 360/PS3 did you buy first" and the answers would still remain valid.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 08:22:24 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on September 22, 2009, 03:09:04 AM

No contest for me.

pretty much the same for me

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 09:33:40 AM »

360, it has by far more games that i will play. plus the fact that it has achievements mean every multiplatform game will be bought for it instead of the ps3
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 12:06:29 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 22, 2009, 07:00:29 AM

So, as I said, this thread is somewhat pointless. You might as well change the question in the original post to ask "which console of the 360/PS3 did you buy first" and the answers would still remain valid.

That's not necessarily the case.  Last generation, I got the Gamecube first, the PS2 second, and the Xbox third, and I wound up preferring the Xbox by a wide margin. 

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 12:14:57 PM »

Gamers, by far.

Say what you will about the 360 dominating, MS would not have put out all the stuff it has if not for the competition Sony gives.  Likewise, for a PS3 preferred gamer like me, the competition from MS has put Sony on the ball.  I enjoy games on both systems, although I mainly play games on the PS3, that's not going to stop me from going back and burning through a bunch of 360 exclusives for cheap as the generation winds down.  Likewise, I can already get most 360 "exclusives" on the PC.

In terms of sales and market share, the 360 is definitely "winning".  However, those who have unfounded aversions to playing PS3 games if they get the chance are being foolish because they're willing themselves not to have fun.  And those who consider the PS3 a failure or want it to fail are--and I say this full well knowing its meaning and implications--fanboys.

You're more the exception in the last generation Chaz, that and you probably prefer more western developed games and shooters like Halo and Fable, and such.  Last gen the PS2 dominated, in part because it launched first and got both user and developer support from that.  This gen, the 360 got the early launch.

There's real power in being the first console to launch in a generation of consoles.  If you're first, provided you have the right support and a decent product, your console becomes something that helps define the generation.  This is pretty much why MS was willing to launch early despite knowing about the hardware failure issues.  They wanted to capture market share from being first to launch and were willing to pay the warranty repair costs.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 12:16:46 PM by Turtle » Logged
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 12:58:42 PM »

I voted Wii.  I think in 10-15 years people will remember what the Wii did (new input, introduced a ton of people to gaming)  While the 360 and PS3 are great they are just incremental improvements on what their companies produced before and will produce next.  Just another in the series.  The Wii was/is something truly different.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 01:36:52 PM »

Well, I think we are reaching a point where PS3 sales in North America will now start overtaking the 360. I also believe By the end of this generation MS will be in last place from a sales standpoint if it gets stretched into 2012. Sony sells more consoles in all regions with the exception of North America, and the price drop will change the landscape here.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 01:40:59 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 02:11:44 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on September 22, 2009, 02:10:03 AM

I hate to say this, but Achievements mean something to me.  It's dumb, and I never go out of my way to get them, but it's a nice feeling to see the popup, and know that the points that I earned go toward a persistent score that stays with me.  It's a little bit of permanence in a hobby that's almost defined by the cult of the new hotness, and that's nice.  It's also neat to be able to compare progress with my friends, and fosters a little bit of casual competition. 

Even though I originally thought achievements were stupid, I still find myself playing more games on my 360 simply because of the achievements. (And my gamerscore is only 13,300) Whenever I play a game on the wii, I think to myself - self, you could be playing a 360 game and getting an achievement right now.

I'm a whore for simple things.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 02:46:56 PM »

For me, consolewise, it's the 360 that's most likely to get fired up with a game in it, but my PC gets the vast majority of game time.  The PS3 is pretty much for blu rays and the occasional exclusive/game borrowed from a friend (which so far this year is Infamous and Batman, with Demon Souls being a possibility later this year), and I sold my Wii but have been keeping an eye on stuff developing for it, and if there is indeed the rumored price drop I may grab it again.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 03:00:34 PM »

Right now it's the 360.

MS may have something to worry about by this time next year, but only time will tell. There's definitely an upswing in positive talk of the PS3 over the last month. The Slim seems to be finally turning people on to the thing.

For myself, I would play it more but I still don't like the controller and the online setup still sucks. The 360 isn't the best hardware, it's simply the most usable of the two big systems, and thus it gets pretty much all my multiplatform title purchases.

The Wii isn't even a factor for me, but then I'm pretty far from their target audience.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009, 03:25:13 PM »

Why can't we just relegate these types of threads to the back of the gaming talk closet. Regardless of how its put this is just another 360 vs PS3 vs Wii pissing match that always goes the same way as the million other ones have.  disgust
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2009, 03:29:36 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on September 22, 2009, 03:25:13 PM

Why can't we just relegate these types of threads to the back of the gaming talk closet. Regardless of how its put this is just another 360 vs PS3 vs Wii pissing match that always goes the same way as the million other ones have.  disgust

so far you're the only negative post I see that could be construed as pissing.  I think the rest of the posts have been pretty civil and to the point.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2009, 03:43:05 PM »

Right now it's the 360 for me. The Wii has huge sales numbers, and is in a lot of homes that otherwise wouldn't have a video game console (i.e. my parents house)...but the lack of quality games is keeping me from needing the system. And it doesn't help that when I get a chance to play the "best" games that the Wii has to offer, I'm typically bored after awhile and have no desire to play after maybe a weekend of playing it.

I'm far more likely to get a PS3 than a Wii, especially with the new price point. But, it has nothing to do with the games. It's all about the Blu-Ray.

Right now, the 360 is easily the best console I've ever owned. There are a good selection of games, the graphics are amazing, and Live is worth every penny. When you combine that with the Arcade titles to help fill the void between games, and the Netflix feature which I use all the time, it makes the console almost perfect. I just wish that I could browse the internet from my 360, and watch Blu-Ray movies. Oh, and that the price of hard drives would come down. There are plenty of features for the console that I would like to use, but can't because the hard drives are far too expensive.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2009, 04:33:30 PM »

As Reggie Fils-Aims says, "it's all in the games" -too bad his company no longer follows their own words. On that note the 360 personally wins for me. Out of the games I've enjoyed most this gen, MS Game Studios exclusives -ME, F2, Gears 2 and Halo 3- rank the highest. As far as 3rd party titles go, MS has that hands down, as it's proved to be the darling console of 3rd parties this gen.

I think someone can make a good case for the PS3 as being the best in terms of 1st party exclusives, as Sony has delivered some stellar titles. For me though, there's not enough else available to entice me to buy - can't afford 1 anyways. slywink  The biggest surprise for me this console gen, is that the Wii is in such poor shape exclusive-wise. As I stated in my 1st line, it's as if Big N have abandoned their own historical strategy of delivering a healthy portion of AAA 1st party titles. My kids and I have enjoyed LoZ:TP, SMG, SSBB and MP3 a great deal, but in light of how bleak the 3rd party picture is, that's no where near enough quality titles for me. I've bought a Nintendo console day 1 for the past 3 generations, but with my youngest child now inching towards teen-hood, I won't being doing that next gen.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009, 04:46:43 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 22, 2009, 03:29:36 PM

so far you're the only negative post I see that could be construed as pissing.  I think the rest of the posts have been pretty civil and to the point.

agreed. otoh, to the extent that anyone who's spent time over the last couple-3 years up here knows which console's gonna run away with a poll like this, it does feel more like an invitation to a group wank than an honest search for information smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
warning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2009, 04:57:00 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on September 22, 2009, 04:46:43 PM

an invitation to a group wank

DO NOT WANT!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2009, 05:32:15 PM »

Quote from: warning on September 22, 2009, 04:57:00 PM

an invitation to a group wank

DO NOT WANT!

he's just upset he's stuck with only a threesome  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2009, 05:45:09 PM »

agreed. otoh, to the extent that anyone who's spent time over the last couple-3 years up here knows which console's gonna run away with a poll like this, it does feel more like an invitation to a group wank than an honest search for information smile ...

I think what you're missing, and IMO it makes a poll like this valid, is that at the dawn of this gen it wasn't a given that the 360 would emerge as the preferred platform for core gamers. There's no reason that the PS3 couldn't be in that situation now, especially when you consider that a decent number of core gamers filled the ranks of the colossal market penetration the PS2 had. It was only arrogance and mismanagement by Sony IMO, that prevented the PS3 from being the core favorite. On the other hand, it was clear in 2006 that Nintendo was going to make far less of an attempt to cater to core gamers.

What's surprising to me is that MS, despite having delivered a defective product to market, is still the favored system. They had less than a winning strategy at the start, but they're likely going to emerge at the end of this gen in good shape, based on game sales alone. IMO they've done that by having the more positive attitude towards their 3rd party dev's. I think the verdict is still out on the Wii as to whether Big N had the best strategy - they've pushed into an untapped market and been rewarded with stellar sales, but they've left behind an entire market segment in the process. Bottom line; I don't see this thread as a group wank at all, but a confirmation of how the different marketing strategies have panned out with the core demographic.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2009, 05:47:39 PM »

360 but that's because I own the console first.  The PS3 was priced out of price range, but now that it's 299 it's affordable, but I don't need another console.  I just can't justify the cost.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2009, 06:02:56 PM »

Well given the fact that I started a thread that asked if fanboyism is dead, i don't see how it could be construed that I knew which way the poll would go.

We spend far more time discussing the runaway success of the Wii than dwe do which console is better.
Wanted to see what the core audience here thought despite what gets all the publicity.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2009, 08:10:22 PM »

I like my Wii a lot, but I'll be honest:  If I could trade it in tomorrow for a PS3 straight up, I might be convinced.  I love Super Mario Galaxy (I'm prepared to call it the best game of the decade), and everyone has fun with it, but it's the graphics that are bugging me.  I can't get over the fact that I'm missing something by having it.  Still, as long as Sony keeps pulling crap like they have like the whole PS2 downward compatibility thing, I'm not that easily convinced that they'll have my best interests at heart.

Oh, and what I wouldn't give to play Shadow Complex...
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2009, 08:12:56 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on September 22, 2009, 08:10:22 PM

Oh, and what I wouldn't give to play Shadow Complex...

Apparently you wouldn't give $299 with a $50 mail-in rebate. slywink
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2009, 08:14:42 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on September 22, 2009, 12:58:42 PM

I voted Wii.  I think in 10-15 years people will remember what the Wii did (new input, introduced a ton of people to gaming)  While the 360 and PS3 are great they are just incremental improvements on what their companies produced before and will produce next.  Just another in the series.  The Wii was/is something truly different.

But the wii hasn't done much of anything. Their control scheme is a play ground of useless shovelware shit. If someone can actually make a game that utilizes the Wii to pave the way, then sure. But yeah...not right now. Control scheme be damned if there's no games.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2009, 11:04:06 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on September 22, 2009, 08:14:42 PM

But the wii hasn't done much of anything.

Except sold far far more than either the 360 or PS3.

From a personal preference of which console I prefer, I would say the PS3.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2009, 12:11:44 AM »

I would have to say the 360, but I prefer and think the PS3 is 10x the better console.  The 360, to me, is the single worst electronic device I have every owned. 

As a pure gamer, the Nintendo, regardless of numbers, is a joke to me.

That's my perspective, as worthless as it is really.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: