http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 11:34:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: From the Front Page - Games ruined when nearly perfect!  (Read 2014 times)
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2005, 07:35:45 PM »

Modern Gaming Problems
Actually, the list this NetJak editorial goes deep in to involves gaming since its inception. That being said, modern games, i.e. since the 16-bit age, seem to routinely suffer from the fatal flaw of "almost but not quite." This is when a game is outright spectacular, then hits a developer-created wall of suck that drains the game of its fun.

Boy, ain't that the truth!  What's your favorite game that you'd love to love... but ended up hating or almost hating?

I loved Monster Hunter single player - until I got to the part where you absolutely needed two people to complete a quest (carrying two dino eggs somewhere, one at a tiime... with barely enough time to carry one.)  Why do they say there is a single player mode when s**t like that happens?

Of course, the regular Resident Evil "controls" and inventory management qualifies as well.  So does any game without a save-anywhere, or difficulty choices, or maps with your location and a North/ South designation, or invert controls choice - dammit all!  After all, gamers don't have to look at the maps, or choose "Easy" - or save every two minutes.  If they can't control themselves and make the game a challenging yet rewarding experience, then that's their problem - plus it sells more games when people race through them...

Apparently they don't trust us to choose what gives us the best entertainment experience for our particular gaming expertise.

So, rant aside (for now)... which game(s) would've been great for you - except for an arbitrary limit placed on the game...?

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 08:30:53 PM »

As I said in that story, God of War was it for me most recently. Spectacular game up to Hades, then it takes a nose dive off the deep end of ass. The wife just sat there calmly trying not to panick as my head threatened to explode the more I died thanks to those towers of pain.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 08:32:27 PM »

whiteboy: Those towers were easy. You just suck.  :wink:

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 08:54:03 PM »

Yep, it's all a matter of figuring out the timing.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 09:29:08 PM »

Zelda: Wind Waker - the infamous "scavanger hunt": okay, it's not *that* bad but it still killed all of the momentum that the stellar first 2/3rds of the game had carried

Halo 1 - the library.

Halo 2 - the ending.

Half Life 2 - see Halo 2.

WoW - the level 40-50 grind: especially if you've already gotten your mount and have max'd your professions.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005, 09:36:24 PM »

For me, Half Life 2 was anytime you had to get in a damn vehicle.  I couldn't control those things worth a crap, and it brought the game to a grinding halt every time one of those sections came up.

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2005, 09:51:49 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Yep, it's all a matter of figuring out the timing.
No, it's all a matter of not getting frustrated.  You'll have a couple of cheap falls as you figure out the pattern.  If you've been playing for a while and start to get frustrated, you will not be able to get past there.  You have to take a break and calm down completely.  If you come back frustrated or bitter about the frustration, you'll keep falling again and again.

If you come to it relaxed and don't let the first few cheap hits bother you, you'll breeze right through.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2005, 09:56:09 PM »

I had a bunch of moments like that in Mafia on the PC.  Tons of times trying to get through sections, each death mounts the frustration factor, and I see myself making stupid mistakes, which only ups the frustration.  Stop playing, come back after dinner, and get through on the first try.

Then my head hurts from smacking my palm against it.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2005, 11:53:56 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"

Halo 2 - the ending.

Half Life 2 - see Halo 2..

I thought the ending was pretty cool...the whole ending sequence, actually.

*edited* I'm talking about Half-Life 2 here.  Halo 2's ending blew ass.

TheMissingLink on PSN
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005, 12:25:03 AM »

i guess the game i was most disappointed in recently (i thought god of war was just bad, period, so that don't count) was ratchet & clank: up your arsenal - though maybe the funniest of the 3, all the imaginative gameplay of the first 2 was gone, replaced by (ta-da!) - 'hordes of enemies'. really repetitive & just plain dumb (to the point where i have no interest at all in the next one)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2005, 01:26:33 AM »

I was a bit annoyed by the way Conker remains censored.  It has a boatload of warnings all over the box about not being for children and still they give you the bleeps.

It doesn't really affect the gameplay at all, but it seemed like an odd decision.

I didn't mind the vertical pillars in GoW since they didn't kill you, but the one hit/fall off horizontal pillars were a real pisser.  I was very conscious of getting every bit of red orbs and some of the paths took forever to clear.  I usually fell on the way back from getting them all only to have to try again.

All the decent reviews Star Wars: Republic Commando I thought the teamwork was lousy and the weapons sucked.  The game bored me to tears.

Those extra dungeons in the GBA version of Final Fantasy I.  I didn't mind going through them one time, but they get longer and longer and you have to clear them out multiple times to kill all the bosses.  As if I weren't over-powered by the time I beat it already.  I'm just sick of random battles by now.  I can't believe, with all the fancy FMV and other silly combo action these games throw at you that they still rely on such an antiquated mechanic as random battles every 10 steps.

I'm glad I haven't run into too many dissapointments lately.  Too many games and too little time.  Perhaps I am just easy to please?  Either that or I have been lucky to avoid the real stinkers out there.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2005, 04:03:00 AM »

I came to utterly detest Metroid Prime 2 because of all the frickin' backtracking.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2005, 09:27:33 AM »

There was something about Zelda Wind Waker which was unfulfilling, I cant really put a finger on what it was.  Probably the only one I wont ever replay, despite how cool a game it is in many ways.
Gwar21
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2005, 04:32:30 PM »

I'm currently stuck in the first Fatal Frame, and I'm not even very far into the game.  It's really aggravating.  I love everything about the game except for the combat.  :evil:
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2005, 05:06:45 PM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
whiteboy: Those towers were easy. You just suck.  :wink:

Bah! slywink I owned that game up to that point, then it just fell apart. Timing is everything, this I can understand, but when the timing is off by even the tiniest fraction it totally screws you. This = teh suxxors. Lame jumping puzzles like this that come at you from left field in a game where might is right? Stupid. Then it goes back to the game I loved for a while, then the final boss fight is just outright insane. I hated it that the game took pity on me by dropping the difficulty down to easy just so I could beat him. I felt cheated by both the game and my own weakened skills, and that was not a fun feeling. smile

I also hate it when sequels toss everything that was good about the first game and take a "marketing checklist" approach to further games, i.e. PoP: Warrior Within. This has to be the worst, most disappointing, most insulting game I played last year. I know Ubisoft reads these forums, and the humble opinion of this gamer, they should be ashamed of themselves. You take a brilliant, original, romantic, gorgeous title like Sands of Time then clutter it up with dirt, grime, grit, Godsmack, and "collectibles" and a brain-dead story with absymal voice acting and what do you have? An outright insult to fans of the original that in no way, shape, or form, maintains the illusion of a seamless game world, nor a coherent atmosphere, nor is fun at all.

/rant off

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2005, 06:40:48 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
There was something about Zelda Wind Waker which was unfulfilling, I cant really put a finger on what it was.  Probably the only one I wont ever replay, despite how cool a game it is in many ways.

I think the scavenger hunt killed the game's momentum, as did the re-bossing before Ganon.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2005, 07:59:24 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Quote from: "unbreakable"

I think the scavenger hunt killed the game's momentum, as did the re-bossing before Ganon.

I hated those goddamned hands that put you back to the beginning of the dungeons.. the targetting forces you to look up to hit the hand (cuz, you know, the bare arm is definately invulnerable) and since your camera is now shoved halfway up "Link"s ass, you don't see the OTHER one on the ground that pops up and makes you start.all.over.again.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2005, 06:42:42 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
I was a bit annoyed by the way Conker remains censored.  It has a boatload of warnings all over the box about not being for children and still they give you the bleeps.

It doesn't really affect the gameplay at all, but it seemed like an odd decision.

It was like that in the N64 version, but I thought I read somewhere that once you beat it, you can replay the game with all the bleeps taken out.

It's not like you need the bleeps removed anyway. You can easily tell what they're trying to say. Made it funnier to hear as far as I was concerned. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2005, 06:49:36 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
It was like that in the N64 version, but I thought I read somewhere that once you beat it, you can replay the game with all the bleeps taken out.

It's not like you need the bleeps removed anyway. You can easily tell what they're trying to say. Made it funnier to hear as far as I was concerned. biggrin

I am not sure if it does unlock the uncensored mode when you beat it (as I am told it will on the N64).  I was reading GameFAQs (yikes) and I don't know if anybody figured it out yet for single-player.  I know if you get enough medals/beat the levels in multiplayer it will be unlocked there.

It's not that big a deal, as I agree it wouldn't add anything to the game, I was just annoyed that it is pushed as being full of swearing and not being so.  So far there isn't much, not even bleeping, but I think it would be funny to hear Conker just rip out a nice stream of foul language.  I bought it looking for juvenile humar and I expected it!

I suck at the game anyway.  I'm stuck in "RPG mode" where I must scour every corner of the maps and move carefully.  It is my own fault I can't let myself just kick back and enjoy the game more.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: