http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 06:55:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Freespace widescreen? now with addon problems  (Read 3822 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2009, 04:51:48 AM »

Is there some way to get Freespace 1 to run widescreen..or look better? I have it and the addon. I know theres some way to fix the second game but cant find anything on the first one.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 11:38:34 PM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
cirdan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 06:27:21 PM »

Are you using the updates from the FreeSpace Source Code Project? There is the FreeSpace port that updates the original so that it uses the engine from FreeSpace 2. There are also quite a few other visual updates to both games that have been made. The wiki site links to the latest installer and provides instructions on configuring your FreeSpace 2 directory for the modification.

So, essentially, with everything installed, FreeSpace will become a total conversion of FreeSpace 2.

An installation walkthrough from the FreeSpace Wiki
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/FreeSpace_Open_Installer

Hard Light Productions - information on a bunch of mods and improvements
http://www.hard-light.net/

"And all my things look like someone else's memories"
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 10:45:18 PM »

No ..didn't know about it. Thank you! Ill look into it as long as it doesn't invalidate my saves.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 11:46:21 PM »

Man what is it with the addon Silent Threat?? I can play the full game's campaign..even the last mission..with only a couple giving me a headache. But the very first mission of ST is a pain in my ass. Its too damn hard. And Ive got it set in VERY EASY hehe.

The very first mission has my Alpha wing and another wing called Beta. I have 5 minutes to kill the 22 enemies in system. The hard part come with the transports named Ares. They are heading for the jump node out and a station in system. I cant let either happen or the mission fails.

So I now know to forget Ares 2..it is at the jump when the mission starts and I can not reach it no matter what. Its scripted to jump. Ok that leaves Ares 1 and 3 and a seperate transport thats in system..plus about 15 fighters. I order all my wings to attack Ares 1 thats headed to the jump. I go after Ares 3 that headed to the stations..its a LONG ways away. Thats the thing..all these must catch ships are spread so far out its impossible. Anyways I can catch Ares 3 and destroy it no problem...but now Im across the map. Abought this time my buddies kill Ares 1. Ok that leaves some fighters and that fourth transport. Now its across the map from me and its only not anywhere near my buddies. Ive tried letting the ai go after it and they always fail. Ive tried going after it...twice Ive not got there before it jumps out and the one time I did get there and kill it the timer ran out before we could kill all the rest...did I mention this mission has a FIVE MINUTE TIMER??? I have 5 minutes to catch 4 ships that are all over the map along with 18 fighters.

Its frak'n impossible..and this is just the 1st mission. Im worried now that the whole addon is just one big extra impossible mission after mission thing . I hate addons like that.

Was Silent Threat that bad?

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 02:42:37 AM »

Found a strat guide on Gamefaqs. Going to try its suggestions.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 07:04:24 AM »

Bout time for another replay. glad I remembered I'd started this thread. Was about to ask about widescreen ..again lol. Maybe I better anyways since it's been 2 years. Anything new out there?

Weird that as Im reading my own posts I don't recall them at all. Anyone else wanna restart Freespace+addon+Freespace2?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 08:52:20 AM »

Quote from: cirdan on February 18, 2009, 06:27:21 PM

Are you using the updates from the FreeSpace Source Code Project? There is the FreeSpace port that updates the original so that it uses the engine from FreeSpace 2. There are also quite a few other visual updates to both games that have been made. The wiki site links to the latest installer and provides instructions on configuring your FreeSpace 2 directory for the modification.

So, essentially, with everything installed, FreeSpace will become a total conversion of FreeSpace 2.

An installation walkthrough from the FreeSpace Wiki
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/FreeSpace_Open_Installer

Hard Light Productions - information on a bunch of mods and improvements
http://www.hard-light.net/

oooo, thanks for then links.  picked this up awhile back and just thinking of finally firing it up.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 08:21:23 AM »

Ok Im now confronted with 2 options.....

1. I own both retail games plus i own the double jewel of the first one and addon. Do I use those or grab both games off GoG?

2. Skip both those and install X-Wing Alliance instead? I've played it twice but never finished due to becoming stuck on missions. That's IF I can get the targeting box to work.

The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 08:41:16 AM »

I recently (a month ago) replayed Freespace 1, it's incredibly fan-(re)made add-on, and Freespace 2. There's a sticky here (http://www.gog.com/en/forum/freespace_series#1302725514) that really explains how to set everything up.

Whether you want to play X-Wing or Freespace really depends on what you're looking for. Fast, beautiful, smooth action with lots of explosions, and relatively short missions? Freespace! Deep, long, rather difficult missions with a better personal story? X-Wing!

They're pretty different games I feel. One plays more like an action game, the other more like a sim.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 09:02:31 AM »

Thanks for the link. That will be handy.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 09:03:35 AM »

Quote from: The Rocketman on April 15, 2011, 08:41:16 AM

Whether you want to play X-Wing or Freespace really depends on what you're looking for. Fast, beautiful, smooth action with lots of explosions, and relatively short missions? Freespace! Deep, long, rather difficult missions with a better personal story? X-Wing!

I don't remember the missions for X-Wing being very long, but it's been forever.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 05:32:19 AM »

After re reading this thread and a ton of the open sdk stuff i think it would be easier to just install my games from disk and play them normally. I'd love improved graphics but that all seems a big complicated mess to bother with. A I recall the games looked pretty good to start with anyways.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 08:30:26 AM »

I recently (a month ago) replayed Freespace 1, it's incredibly fan-(re)made add-on, and Freespace 2. There's a sticky here (http://www.gog.com/en/forum/freespace_series#1302725514) that really explains how to set everything up.

they mention manual install, I wonder if there is automatic....

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 12:42:14 AM »

Well I've tried for the last hour to get Freespace 1 working in Win 7 64 but so far Im only failing. FS2 is easy to get to work. But this 1st one is giving me a huge headache. I dont want to play it in the FS2 engine. I just want to play it normal with high rez than 640 x 480.  But as of now I can't get it to run at all never mind changing the rez.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 12:44:58 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 16, 2011, 08:30:26 AM

they mention manual install, I wonder if there is automatic....

damn, guess they were just using it as a figure of speech instead of having some launcher that took all the bits together.  on to step 1!

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 05:53:54 AM »

After a 5 hour download of freespace open it works somehow.

EDIT: Almost perfect. Sometimes my missiles fire all by themself. Sometimes its one volley and other times they fire till they are all gone. It's bad when you are trying to diable or guard a ship and you kill it.

As a side note..The Ancients. So for 1000's of years they spread out without subspace?? Terrans in game spread out WITH subspace after only a few hundred Im guessing. Plus these Ancients spread so far without it somehow? Then they get subspace and fill up the galaxy and kick everyone's butt yet fall to the Shivans. But Terrans and Vasudens  have only a few worlds and the tech that goes with it yet can kick Shivan butt? Those Ancients SUCKED smile
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 06:25:10 AM by Daehawk » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 03:25:25 PM »

woohoo!  it works on the netbook!

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 03:40:13 PM »

I could be wrong about this , but IIRC the FS2OPEN fan-made patching system for FS2 allows you to add the original Freespace campaign. It's been a while since I had it installed, so I might be wrong about that. What I do remember is that patching system is awesome and makes it very easy to add and remove things from FS2 at will. It also made it run pefectly in widescreen rez's.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 06:35:07 AM »

Anyone else find it annoying that even after taking out the weapons subsystem that the enemy ship continues to fire on you? To compound the problem the capital ships in the first game  don't all have visible turrets. this is especially true on the Shivans. I just have to watch where fire is coming from and aim in that area. it's far easier to just tell my fighters to do it themselves. just takes longer usually or gets them all killed from fighters while they do it.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 06:40:16 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on April 17, 2011, 03:40:13 PM

I could be wrong about this , but IIRC the FS2OPEN fan-made patching system for FS2 allows you to add the original Freespace campaign. It's been a while since I had it installed, so I might be wrong about that. What I do remember is that patching system is awesome and makes it very easy to add and remove things from FS2 at will. It also made it run pefectly in widescreen rez's.
I found the netbook's small screen is great for older games.  now only if I can find a good control scheme for it.

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 02:19:52 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 18, 2011, 06:40:16 AM

Quote from: kronovan on April 17, 2011, 03:40:13 PM

I found the netbook's small screen is great for older games.  now only if I can find a good control scheme for it.

Yup, they're a great tool for legacy gaming. I've seen a few people in Starbucks playing older RPGs and RTS's on them. It makes me wish my legacy laptop had a better video card, but without T&L support even many of the Legacy games won't run on it. frown

BTW If you want a good control scheme just pick up one of the cheaper Belkin Nostromo keypads. They're great, very easy to configure and they don't take up much space.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 02:21:32 PM by kronovan » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: