http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 12:35:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Freespace 3 (not an announcement)  (Read 308 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2011, 12:51:06 AM »

Volition apparently talked about Freespace 3 again, and then they went into detail why it probably won't happen.  After that they mention that keyboards and mice probably killed the space sim, since people stopped buying joysticks.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 07:50:20 AM »

We need to just let it go CeeKay.  It's not ever coming back.  icon_cry

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 08:42:02 AM »

no, it isn't even a glimmer in their eye any more.  that ship has launched, only to be lost in the supernova of a star. 

could be good fodder for the last few remaining modders though. 

Appollo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »

I loved Freespace
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 12:10:01 PM »

But... the Shivans... They haven't been defeated yet... Have they? Wasn't the ending of Freespace 2 rather vague?

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 12:10:12 PM »

Why do they toy with me?! Freespace 2 is still one of my top 5 games ever. But holy god if they made a new Freespace and made it a goddamn consolized piece of crap I would have to shoot somebody in the face. With a spoon.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 01:32:11 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on February 09, 2011, 12:10:12 PM

Why do they toy with me?! Freespace 2 is still one of my top 5 games ever. But holy god if they made a new Freespace and made it a goddamn consolized piece of crap I would have to shoot somebody in the face. With a spoon.
They don't care, unless you can guarantee them a million sales. If you can do that, you can blast people with all the utensils you want.  icon_lol

For me, Freelancer was the one classic space "fighter combat" type game that worked well with a mouse and keys so I know it can be done. Frankly, the guy sounds more interested in the brief interview about trying to bring Freespace to consoles (and presumably sell more units) than trying to revive an effectively dead genre on PC. Although I can remember a brief glorious time when most of the top 10 sellers were space combat games (X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Wing Commander etc.). I have been gradually junking my old Logitech and CH joysticks at an electronics recycler of late, making peace with the notion I likely won't be playing space combat and flight sims anymore.

I think it just comes down to cost-of-development. If they could figure out a way to do a Freespace game without spending a fortune that requires it to be a mass market hit to even break even, they could do it. Volition's not a cheap indy developer though. I think you have a better chance of seeing someone small pull off something like that (maybe even on smartphones) 'cause it wouldn't have to fret so much about selling 500,000, 1 million or 2 million or however many copies.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: