http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 12:29:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Freelancer 2...Such Things That Never Was  (Read 2001 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2007, 05:12:58 AM »

Found THIS SITE from a link on the Wing Commander CIC website.

At the time of Digital Anvil's closing, the company was working on two Xbox 360 titles, one of which was dubbed with the codename Project Lonestar (the other, Project Enwor, I'll go into at length at a later date) but also known by the name of Freelancer 2. I have not played much of the original, so forgive me that I cannot compare the sequel to the original. The player would have again been in the shoes of Edison Trent as he attempted to find out the truth about the mystery of the space station disaster that Trent survived whilst alluding some shadowy groups.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 09:41:00 PM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 01:51:37 PM »

We *really* need another space sim.   To that end, check out Tarr Chronicles:

http://gamingtrend.com/GameInfo/GameInfo.php?GameID=6183

Screens:

I'll be reviewing that before the end of the year.   The story is weak and the voice acting is meh, but overall not a bad title.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 03:27:12 PM »

I had high hopes for X3, but while pretty it felt so empty and soulless.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 03:42:52 PM »

THE HELL YOU SAY!

I apologize for my excitement, but I played the hell out of Freelancer, both single player and mutliplayer mods.  Having lost my original copy, maybe it's time to go get a new one somewhere.  I am excited to learn they were working on a sequel...but upset that it'll never be released.  Let me go cry a bit.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 03:44:56 PM by WarPig » Logged

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 03:45:40 PM »

Quote from: WarPig on December 07, 2007, 03:42:52 PM

THE HELL YOU SAY!

I apologize for my excitement, but I played the hell out of Freelancer, both single player and mutliplayer mods.  Having lost my original copy, maybe it's time to go get a new one somewhere.  I am excited beyond words for Freelancer 2.  God, I feel like a kid on Christmas.  It better be released for PC as well as the 360.

I don't think they are actually making it.....

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 06:03:01 PM »

For those feeling hungry for a space sim, I'm going to chime in here and recommend Independence War 2 if you haven't ever played it. It did release about 6 years ago, but it was quite ahead of it's time. The engine was particularly impressive for both sound and visuals and, like it's predecessor, it attempted to accurately depict the real physics of space travel. It also runs well on XP and supports widescreen resolutions.
I should also mention that it's a real challenge and you'll definitely want a joystick and probably even voice comm software for playing it.
WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 06:17:30 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 07, 2007, 03:45:40 PM

Quote from: WarPig on December 07, 2007, 03:42:52 PM

THE HELL YOU SAY!

I apologize for my excitement, but I played the hell out of Freelancer, both single player and mutliplayer mods.  Having lost my original copy, maybe it's time to go get a new one somewhere.  I am excited beyond words for Freelancer 2.  God, I feel like a kid on Christmas.  It better be released for PC as well as the 360.

I don't think they are actually making it.....

Yeah, I edited my comment after I realized I got caught up in my own excitement.  I know it's not coming out...thanks for rubbing salt in the wound.  crybaby

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 06:26:10 PM »

even voice comm software for playing it.

'splain please?  What would you use voice comm for in the game?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 06:47:46 PM »

I was super bummed when it appeared this got cancelled-I LOVED freelancer (and in fact would like to play it again soon), and Starlancer, and Digital Anvil was a great studio in my book. Ron thanks for the link, I will check that game out.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 07:54:58 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on December 07, 2007, 06:26:10 PM

In the game you can command your crew to assist you via the keyboard when you're in the throws of combat ; i.e you can command your engineer to repair damaged shields. You have to focus a lot on navigating your ship and firing weapons while in combat, so it helps to be able to use a voice command program, i.e. Game Commander, to verbally issue orders to your crew. It's quite similar to using voice command software in flight sims to command your wingman. I probably initialy made this more confusing by referring to it as voice comm instead of voice command

BTW I always use voice command software in space sims even if it's just for an action that a keypress can do. It may sound wierd, but it ends up being an experience similar to how the Star Trek crew gave orders to 'Computer'.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 08:02:42 PM by kronovan » Logged
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 08:12:51 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on December 07, 2007, 07:54:58 PM

In the game you can command your crew to assist you via the keyboard when you're in the throws of combat ; i.e you can command your engineer to repair damaged shields. You have to focus a lot on navigating your ship and firing weapons while in combat, so it helps to be able to use a voice command program, i.e. Game Commander, to verbally issue orders to your crew. It's quite similar to using voice command software in flight sims to command your wingman. I probably initialy made this more confusing by referring to it as voice comm instead of voice command

BTW I always use voice command software in space sims even if it's just for an action that a keypress can do. It may sound wierd, but it ends up being an experience similar to how the Star Trek crew gave orders to 'Computer'.

Ahhhhhhh, gotcha.  Sounds like it'd be fun, if a bit odd to anyone around me as I yell "Fix the damned shields!" in my office.  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 08:29:40 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on December 07, 2007, 08:12:51 PM

Quote from: kronovan on December 07, 2007, 07:54:58 PM

Ahhhhhhh, gotcha.  Sounds like it'd be fun, if a bit odd to anyone around me as I yell "Fix the damned shields!" in my office.  smile

I-War 2 is a game I always wanted to get into and never could-I must have tried...4 times. Now I want to try it again smile
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 08:32:24 PM »

I-War 1 is better.

I missed 2 good space games in recent years..Darkstar Oneand Star Wolves. Im still trying to find them cheap or trade. StarWolves is $40 in the States but only $5 in England frown

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »

I-War2 is a game i missed. I really love space sims, but for some reason just missed it. 6 years out of date is too dated for me to give it a spin now unfortunately.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 08:48:21 PM »

I enjoyed Freelancer quite a bit, often teaming with a couple buds from another forum, who both had a fondness for ship-type games or space combat stuff. We were just exasperated with Microsoft's decision to not make it an MMO type game (or at least set up their own reliable, dedicated servers for it). There were a handful of servers we liked to play on, but the lack of anything reliable that you knew would always be there made it tough to really progress or feel "attached" to your spacecraft.

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 08:51:36 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on December 07, 2007, 08:32:24 PM

I-War 1 is better.

I missed 2 good space games in recent years..Darkstar Oneand Star Wolves. Im still trying to find them cheap or trade. StarWolves is $40 in the States but only $5 in England frown

I agree that I-War 1 was a bit better, but unfortunately I couldn't get it to run on XP and I could never get it to handle the rudder axis on any USB devices. The 1st version was mostly better because it didn't have the 'orphaned kid seeking vengance' story line.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 09:00:19 PM »

I-War 1 is better.

I didn't pick up those either, mostly because my flight/space sim HOTAS broke about 2 years ago and now all I have is a cheesy Logitech stick with a twist rudder. Even my Logitech Wheel which I used to be able to get working as rudder pedals is caput.
With kids that want the latest and greatest consoles, I just can't seem to justify new gear. And being a long time flight sim enthusiast I know better than to buy the cheap stuff.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 09:18:31 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on December 07, 2007, 08:51:36 PM

I-War 1 is better.

I agree that I-War 1 was a bit better, but unfortunately I couldn't get it to run on XP and I could never get it to handle the rudder axis on any USB devices. The 1st version was mostly better because it didn't have the 'orphaned kid seeking vengance' story line.

I-War 1 dated itself pretty quickly.  I-War 2 holds up much, much better.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2007, 11:05:31 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 07, 2007, 08:48:21 PM

I enjoyed Freelancer quite a bit, often teaming with a couple buds from another forum, who both had a fondness for ship-type games or space combat stuff. We were just exasperated with Microsoft's decision to not make it an MMO type game (or at least set up their own reliable, dedicated servers for it). There were a handful of servers we liked to play on, but the lack of anything reliable that you knew would always be there made it tough to really progress or feel "attached" to your spacecraft.

I think if it had been expanded into an MMO type game it could have been something special-yes twitch based, but so fun. There was SO much galaxy to explore, so much to do-there just wasn't enough "stuff" in it! I played mostly single player, though occasionally I jumped onto a server or two-I really enjoyed the single player story personally, so that made it easier.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2007, 11:12:23 PM »

I played Freelancer both single player and multiplayer and just did'nt enjoy it. I really tried to. I loved the story and the way it looked but the gameplay lacked a lot. It basically boiled down to needing to go somewhere, hitting the warp, getting dumped out by pirates attacking me, back into warp, dumped out by pirates, back into warp. Thats all that ever happened. i got sick of it. Not once did it let me fly through a path with no interruptions.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2007, 01:39:23 AM »

At the time I played Freelancer, I was on dialup, and voice comm stuff was still pretty rare. Text chat in the game during combat was well night impossible. We still had fun with it and enjoyed just chatting about stuff, and talking about where to go next, when not in combat. smile

Has anybody played Ascaron's (better known for Sacred) Dark Star One? Reviews were decidedly mixed, but I noticed it's now sort of a "jewel-case" game that you can find in the bargain racks at Target for $9.99. I might finally try it sometime.

That reminds me, the only PC game I ever played where there was no text chat option whatsoever (insane imho) was EIDOS' Rogue Trooper. It was actually quite a fun third person shooter, esp. in co-op multiplayer, but the bizarre decision to offer no text chat whatsoever (it supported voice comm, and it made sense on XBox360/XBox Live! to be only voice-comm but no sense on PC at all). I found myself playing with non-headset users who had no way at all to communicate with me in-game.

Am I far enough off topic yet?  drool

Well on Freelancer I found it more fun with buddies. You could protect each other (wingmen and all that), and it made the game a lot more fun (whether you communicated by voice, keyboard or not at all).  For a while we did find one reliable server that remained up for quite some time.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 01:41:17 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2007, 09:50:36 AM »

Dark Star One i really enjoyed, well worth $10 imo.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2007, 10:08:34 AM »

Quote from: Reemul on December 08, 2007, 09:50:36 AM

Dark Star One i really enjoyed, well worth $10 imo.

guess that wasn't enough to make her stop posting fake announcements  slywink  icon_twisted Tongue

Because I can,
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2007, 01:55:51 PM »

Circuit City still has the original Freelancer for 10 bucks:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Freelancer-PC-755142107505/sem/rpsm/oid/174693/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2007, 02:26:36 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on December 08, 2007, 01:55:51 PM

Target has it too for 10 with the other jewel case games. I nabbed it recently and played a bit. Its on hold until I finish other games.

WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2007, 03:03:49 PM »

Quote from: Creepy_Smell on December 08, 2007, 02:26:36 PM

Target has it too for 10 with the other jewel case games. I nabbed it recently and played a bit. Its on hold until I finish other games.
Now I know I have to make a stop on the way home from work today.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2007, 05:44:47 PM »

Installed it the other day. I have about 5 new games and a couple other replays already on the list before I get to it, but I am going back!
unbreakable
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2007, 09:37:13 PM »

Can't this be downloaded for free?  I'm not talking about piracy, either.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2007, 09:40:49 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 11, 2007, 09:37:13 PM

Can't this be downloaded for free?  I'm not talking about piracy, either.

I don't think they ever made it freeware.

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2007, 11:44:21 PM »

I could have sworn they did after they took down the servers for it, but I must be mistaken since my Google-Fu finds nothing.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2007, 01:07:56 AM »

Ya know I was never a big fan of Freelancer. But after reading THIS Wiki page Im tempted to reinstall it and use the 1.4 fan patch on it and give her another go. I have much better hardware now than in 2003 so it may be more enjoyable. Especially if they've fixed that dumped out of warp space from attack crap.

It only takes 1 bad design decision to ruin a game for me. In Freelancer it was the warp thing. In Privateer 2 it was the anti jump if enemy on radar thing. Im so damn particular smile

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2007, 01:15:58 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 11, 2007, 11:44:21 PM

I could have sworn they did after they took down the servers for it, but I must be mistaken since my Google-Fu finds nothing.

that was another game from around the same time.  I think it was called Allegiance.

Because I can,
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2007, 07:19:19 PM »

I want a space sim that will MAKE me go out and buy a new joystick. That would be nice.

Daehawk, where is the 1.4 patch?
unbreakable
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 12, 2007, 01:15:58 AM

Quote from: unbreakable on December 11, 2007, 11:44:21 PM

that was another game from around the same time.  I think it was called Allegiance.

Ah yes, you are completely correct sir.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2007, 08:45:50 PM »

Quote from: Jag on December 12, 2007, 07:19:19 PM

I want a space sim that will MAKE me go out and buy a new joystick. That would be nice.

Daehawk, where is the 1.4 patch?

http://www.3dgamers.com/news/more/1088882561/

or

http://www.download.com/Freelancer-v1-4-patch-unofficial-/3000-7557_4-10299272.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: